Post in three 12k-word parts, or all at once?

JuanSeiszFitzHall

yet another
I’m putting the finishing touches on what is, for me, a very long story. I’m seeking advice on whether it would be better to post the entire 36,000-word story all at once, or in three parts of about 12k words each. For me, “better” means gaining the largest possible readership.

If it matters, the story would go in Group Sex. I won’t get into the content here, because I think it’s not relevant. The story splits quite well in three parts, each one ending with either a partial resolution of what happened, a turn in a new direction, or both. It’s third-person, with Part 1 from one character’s viewpoint, Part 2 from the viewpoints of two other characters, and Part 3 from the viewpoints of the other three. (This isn’t like Rashomon, however; the story continues, with new events occurring in all parts.) I think that the viewpoint transitions are clear, and shouldn’t cause problems for readers. There’s no special significance to the viewpointing, it arose as a reasonable approach early in the writing process. I liked the idea of getting the perspective of every participant in an orgy.

If I submit in parts, I expect to request that they be posted on consecutive days, and hope that the site folks consent to that. I’d also ask that if any of the three is rejected, none of the others should be posted until I fix the errors. Lately the Group Sex hub has reached back five to seven days, and I’d like to maximize the time that all three parts are on the hub. Does anyone think this approach is a bad idea?

I’ve read many times that a length of three to five Lit pages is a sweet spot for getting a good rating. Each part would be in that zone, while the whole story would take up about ten Lit pages. To reiterate, what I hope for most is readership, with as many people as possible reading the whole thing. I would, of course, like the rating to be good, but I’m not hoping to game the system through my posting method.

I’m especially interested in responses from authors who have faced this decision, what they’ve decided, and what the outcome was. In particular, if you had the entire story written, did you decide to post it as a single entity? If you had a first part ready and were still writing the rest, did you decide to post the first part right away, or wait until the other parts were ready? Also, do you think the outcome was affected by how many followers you have? (I don’t have many.)

Thanks.

https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=5116173&page=submissions

I post anything that long in multiple chapters unless it's for a themed contest, in which case it has to be one piece. I take the traditional definition of short story (able to be read in one sitting) seriously and don't expect the reader to have to devote a lot of time to each reading. I have no idea how this compares in anything (rating/views) to doing it as one entry. I suspect there are too many variables for each specific story posted at any given time for there to be much of a pattern to worry about. So my bottom line is "able to be read in one sitting."

If your concern is maximizing readership, then I think the question to ask is whether each chapter will provide what readers in Group Sex are looking for. If the first two chapters are primarily buildup to the Group Sex payoff in the last chapter, then you should submit it as a single standalone story. If, on the other hand, each chapter presents incidents of group sex, which escalate from one chapter to the next, then you should consider submitting it in three chapters.

If you don't have Group Sex in chapter 1 and submit a separate chapter 1, then you'll have very high attrition in readers after chapter 1.

If your entire story is 36,000 words, then it's close to 10 pages. That's long but not outrageously so, and many stories of that length do very well at Literotica.

If you submit as one story, at that length I suggest Novels and Novellas.

Because if the shifting POV, I think multiple stories might work, subject to what earlier posters said about having sex in each chapter, etc. Personally, I never like shifting POV, and get impatient waiting for sex.

I'd submit that as one story, chaptered internally. It's not long by Lit standards.

Good luck getting much response from those Group readers though - they're the least responsive group (haha) of any category I've submitted into. The view counts and scores are okay, but the vote per view ratio is low compared to other categories, and comments... tumbleweeds.

One story.

36k is somewhat long, but not egregiously so. Many times, I've happily sat and read ten Lit pages as long as they were written well and the story was good.

I suggest all in one lump.
There ARE stories much longer in circulation

Thanks for what’s been posted so far. I’ll wait for more input before shutting the thread down. To address one point that’s been mentioned a few times: There’s plenty of group sex in all three parts, plus a whole lot of couple sex.

Thanks for what’s been posted so far. I’ll wait for more input before shutting the thread down. To address one point that’s been mentioned a few times: There’s plenty of group sex in all three parts, plus a whole lot of couple sex.

How would you shut the thread down?

I suggest all in one lump.
There ARE stories much longer in circulation

Lol 😆 Indeed there are, a couple of examples in my sig. I’m working on a chapter for an existing series now - the chapter is 40k+ and it’s the 5th....

36k words is a good length - if you post it as 3 chapters you’ll see viewer drop off in the last two. Just put it in the category that suits the story and go for it. All I’d suggest is, put a note at the start saying how long it is. I do that, but readers who know me generally expect long stories from me, so I don’t get anyone except trolls bitching about length.

Last edited:
Sorry, I overstated my influence. I would merely thank everyone and say I don't need anyone else to provide further input.

Just leave the thread here for posterity? Eventually it will sink down the list anyway and virtually disappear.

I have trouble reading long items of any kind on a screen. I'm more used to print where I can put it aside and get back to it later. Online, I may never get back to it.

My suggestion is to have it finished, and then publish the segments in a tight time sequence (once per week?). I've fallen into the mistake of a having a partially completed series (maybe I don't even have an ending worked out) and then posting it in a widely separated time sequence. Ideally, you want to have readers who are following it and don't have to wait too long for the next installment.

P.S.: Rolling Stone used to publish things in monthly installments, I think. Bonfire of the Vanities was done that way. But that was a long-established magazine with a big circulation base.

Back