Poets, what music accompanies your process of composition?

Just the sort of thing Hank Bukowski, who as I recall often signed himself Buk, would say. Buk as in "puke."

I shouldn't be mean. He was good to people I considered friends, like Nelson Cherry. I launched the career of Cherry in higher literary circles by hiring him to work for Franzy C. Cherry became Cherkovski in imitation of Ferling who became Ferlinghetti.

And the young worship him, and Hunter Thompson, sorry, Hunter S. Thompson. Gotta include the middle initial. Making any mention of him sound like the speaker is William H. Macy in Fargo.

A minority of the New Humans also serve at the shrine of William S. Burroughs. A different matter altogether.

I wish the young would connect more with Bill Burroughs than the other two miscreants. I really wish the young would quit romanticizing literary outlaws.

Rebels are not all outlaws.

Whitman was a true rebel, but never an outlaw.

Ditto Yeats, García Lorca, Mandelshtam, Dylan Thomas, Patchen, Rexroth, Robert Lowell, Robert Duncan, Michael McClure. All men. We need rebel woman poets in the tradition of Rachel Luzzatto Morpurgo, Flora Tristan, Zora Neale Hurston, Virginia Woolf and Radclyffe Hall.

When I write long verse or sustained prose I need to be relaxed, and that is the role of music for me.

A high compliment to me is to consider my verse musical. I consider to reflect the influence of my musical upbringing -- by a phallocrat who wanted to kill me because of my gynecomastia.

Así es la vida en el pueblecito.
In the post above I refer to Neeli Cherkovski, biographer of Bukowski.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/longtime-san-francisco-poet-beatnik-dies-19283714.php

El maleh rachamim

( . )( . )

Last edited:
Back