Please Help: Adding New Threads?

JamesLivinger

Virgin
Hi everyone. I just joined Chyoo not long ago and I need some help with understanding how the editing page works.

Here are my doubts:
What do Continue Thread and Continuing Question mean?
What should be typed into the Notes section?
And also, how to Link Thread?

Thanks for your help! :)

Hi everyone. I just joined Chyoo not long ago and I need some help with understanding how the editing page works.

Here are my doubts:

Thanks for your help! :)

Welcome to Chyoo. I will try to answer your questions.

Continue Thread means do you want people to be able to add new threads to yours, or should this thread be the end. I generally only answer "No" to this is the story ends on that thread, such as the character dying or something. Most of the time, you will want to leave that on "Yes".

Continuing question means what question are you asking the person reading the story. For instance, if the character comes to two doorways, the continuing question might be "Which door do you choose?"

The Notes section is just anything you want to type in. I sometimes type in comments about a thread I've written. I think people only see the notes if they are signed in.

To link a thread, you have to be viewing a thread that you have already saved. Scroll down until you see the "Link Thread" button. On the next screen, choose the thread that you want the current thread to link to. That will add the thread you just chose as an choice to the original thread. I hope that makes sense.

People with more knowledge of Chyoo, please feel free to correct or clarify what I have just said.

First of all, welcome. I hope you enjoy CHYOO.

Continue thread asks if your thread continues the story line, or if it end it; basically, "Is there room for another thread, or has everything been resolved?" Select "Yes" if there's more to the story. Such a thread will feature a remark of some kind in bold text at the bottom of the thread - this is the Continuing Question (more on this later) - and will feature the options of "Add New Thread" and "Link Thread" at the bottom after the thread is approved. Select "No" if everything has been resolved. Such a thread will be submitted without the options of "Add New Thread" or "Link Thread" at the bottom, and there will be no bold text at the bottom.

The Continuing Question is meant to explain the choice before the character to possible contributors, revealing what they need to establish in the next thread. Some offer choices of their own, others are extremely open ended. However, it should be noted that supplying anything in the Continuing Question space during editing overrides the Continue Thread decision, submitting the thread as though "Yes" has been selected. In other words, don't use that space to write "The End" or some other finite phrase.

Nothing has to be supplied, but if there's some running plot element that needs to be kept in check for writers, or something that seems like an error in the thread but is actually intentional, that's the place to explain it. For one example, in the story "Blackmail: I know the secrets that you keep" by thosearemysecret, thosearemysecret uses the notes section to list locations, characters and their relations to the MC, and the amount of evidence remaining.

First and foremost, that option needs to be enabled by the editor. Second, as explained above, there is a choice at the bottom of the thread that asks users if they wish to add or link thread. "Link Thread" opens up the story map, and asks the contributor to select another thread from the story. The result is a new option is open, one that transports the reader to the second thread. This is useful if the story features a central hub, or if the story so far can roll into an already existing story line. Sticking with the same example, thosearemysecret had the second day of blackmail be the same request, and supplied the same option. However, instead of writing the same three threads three times each and habitually copying any additions, linking allowed the story lines to blend without any additional work from anyone.

If there's anything else, or anything you still don't understand, please don't hesitate to ask.

I never knew that bit about using the "continue question" bar overruling the "don't continue thread" rule, and I've been using the site for ages! Thanks!

Back