Plagiarism

I did some sleuthing online and found a case that discussed copyright infringement of plot ideas, and the court said there was no infringement. But it also made clear that if there's enough plot similarity there could, possibly, be infringement. It's a helpful read for the basic concepts of this issue. https://www.scribd.com/doc/20700124/Court-decision-re-copyright-infringement-analysis
An interesting and fun read, Simon, thanks for finding this.

I loved the discussion about Satan in a suit - reminded me of Leonard Cohen's description of himself as "an old bastard in a suit," and of course Nick Cave in his black suit crawling over an audience.

An interesting and fun read, Simon, thanks for finding this.

I loved the discussion about Satan in a suit - reminded me of Leonard Cohen's description of himself as "an old bastard in a suit," and of course Nick Cave in his black suit crawling over an audience.

Thanks for mentioning this - I'd never heard of that Leonard Cohen song. One of my favorites of his is Old Revolution and like many of his songs, I can see it turning into a story. The first line would be the main character beginning his own tale. "I fought in the Old Revolution on the side of the ghost and the king. Of course I was very young and I thought that we were winning..."
But I guess that would be straight up plagiarism.

Thanks for mentioning this - I'd never heard of that Leonard Cohen song. One of my favorites of his is Old Revolution and like many of his songs, I can see it turning into a story. The first line would be the main character beginning his own tale. "I fought in the Old Revolution on the side of the ghost and the king. Of course I was very young and I thought that we were winning..."
The song is Going Home, the line is actually, "I'm a lazy bastard living in a suit."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9sA66l0j8do

I've had the great joy of seeing him twice, on his last two world tours. Something sacred, that's for sure.

Nick Cave is a younger version, but more Old Testament compared to Cohen's Judaism.

The song is Going Home, the line is actually, "I'm a lazy bastard living in a suit."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9sA66l0j8do

I've had the great joy of seeing him twice, on his last two world tours. Something sacred, that's for sure.

Nick Cave is a younger version, but more Old Testament compared to Cohen's Judaism.

Nothing against Nick Cage, and Leonard Cohen was a genius, but the Devil looks like Tom Waits in a bowler hat and fingerless gloves.

Probably singing "Warm Beer, Cold Women".

If you put the line in quotes at the beginning of the story and attributed it properly, it would be fine. Authors do that all the time. I quoted two works at the beginning of my last story, and I'm sure the copyright still exists for one of the two quotes.

Actually, I just used two lines of Cohen's from Suzanne as openers for my latest poem. https://www.literotica.com/p/each-and-every-day

Perhaps I should have attributed them, but it's a short quote, there was no intent to claim it as my own and I figured most everybody would know anyway. Thoughts?

On Literotica you can get away with it. On published books, no. The rules are really strict and it's best to totally stay away from quoting lyrics in a book you're publishing unless you have permission. And that can be very expensive.

Actually, I just used two lines of Cohen's from Suzanne as openers for my latest poem. https://www.literotica.com/p/each-and-every-day

Perhaps I should have attributed them, but it's a short quote, there was no intent to claim it as my own and I figured most everybody would know anyway. Thoughts?
Here, it's okay. As you say, knowing the lyric defines the quality of the audience ;).

Nothing against Nick Cave, and Leonard Cohen was a genius, but the Devil looks like Tom Waits in a bowler hat and fingerless gloves.

Probably singing "Warm Beer, Cold Women".
The devil comes in many guises ;).

One of my favourite portrayals was Robert de Niro in Angel Heart (with Mickey Rourke and Lisa Bonet).

- you've not seen Nick Cave in concert, crawling out over the audience? Quite astonishing to see.

On Literotica you can get away with it. On published books, no. The rules are really strict and it's best to totally stay away from quoting lyrics in a book you're publishing unless you have permission. And that can be very expensive.

Thank you,Chloe. As always with you, common sense prevails.

It will if you put those 10 words in quotes, telling Google to search for exactly those words, in exactly that order. That reduces the number of hits down to more or less your work, and any jackass who has copied it.

Naturally, you'll want to hunt for a reasonably unique turn of phrase. With ten words, even a tired saying can have enough additional context to work, though.

You want to use something near the beginning of your work, and preferably something that doesn't contain character or location names. "Crafty" thieves will often change the names.

It's called a Bolean search, pronounced boo-lee-ann.

Not really. Boolean searches are really those using operators: and, not, or.

Using quotes is an exact phrase match. It may be technically a Boolean search, ( not so sure about that, because the term is never mentioned in relation to this method that I can find ) but few would associate the term with it, even if it is.

It's called a Bolean search, pronounced boo-lee-ann.

Back