Pentagon can't account for $8.5 Trillion

Read the article....its the whole budget for the time indicated.

Its unaccounted for because they didn't file accounting with congress to look over like they are supposed to.

Like I said, liberal shock and awe over nothing

Even under that timescale it's still too large a number to be believable. That would come out to roughly 500 billion PER YEAR. That's nearly the entire military budget today and it's gone up a few billion every single year. Without even looking it I'd be willing to bet the 96-2000 military budgets in their entirety were only slightly above 500 trillion.

The article made it sound like accounting errors but that's too big to be an accounting error. I might be able to buy the number if it included lost items. Like when we found out that NASA was missing a billion dollars worth of equipment and then when when a little more information came out it was a Billion dollars made up of 1970's computers valued at 5k.

Like I said bullshit flag is at half mast. This smells really funny.

Let's see if you read the article.

Which part, specifically, are you referring to?

This part

Because of its persistent inability to tally its accounts, the Pentagon is the only federal agency that has not complied with a law that requires annual audits of all government departments. That means that the $8.5 trillion in taxpayer money doled out by Congress to the Pentagon since 1996, the first year it was supposed to be audited, has never been accounted for. That sum exceeds the value of China's economic output last year.

They never filed accounting, so untill they do, all the money is unaccounted for.

Basically, $500 billion a year, the entire defense/attack budget

Last edited:
A recent investigation has revealed that the Pentagon has failed to account for $8.5 trillion dollars of taxpayer money Congress has allocated toward the U.S. Department of Defense since 1996.
According to the report, out from Reuters, the Pentagon has routinely cooked its books by failing to supply a clear monthly account of the money spent for Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS).

Via Reuters.

I'm sure that poor people are responsible because they're too lazy to work.

This part

Because of its persistent inability to tally its accounts, the Pentagon is the only federal agency that has not complied with a law that requires annual audits of all government departments. That means that the $8.5 trillion in taxpayer money doled out by Congress to the Pentagon since 1996, the first year it was supposed to be audited, has never been accounted for. That sum exceeds the value of China's economic output last year.

They never filed accounting, so untill they do, all the money is unaccounted for.

Basically, $500 billion a year, the entire defense/attack budget

Okay, THAT I believe. That sounds perfectly believable.

This part

Stupid #1: Defining "accounted" monies versus "unaccounted" monies when the question at hand is whose pocket the "unaccounted" monies end up in;

Stupid #2: Thinking that $5 accounted for by the military equates to the >$5 actually paid to the military industrial machine;

Stupid #3: Believing that $500B a year is spent on "secret missions".

Stupid #4: Wondering out loud if "canuck" is actually a word.

Stupid #1: Defining "accounted" monies versus "unaccounted" monies when the question at hand is whose pocket the "unaccounted" monies end up in;

Stupid #2: Thinking that $5 accounted for by the military equates to the >$5 actually paid to the military industrial machine;

Stupid #3: Believing that $500B a year is spent on "secret missions".

Stupid #4: Wondering out loud if "canuck" is actually a word.

I didn't write the fucking article...I just read it

thats funny though...secret missions:rolleyes:

Other than the old lady saying she cooked the books, this is what I got out of it....but I'm stupid

I can't believe I didn't notice that part of it. I just knew the numbers were WAY to big to make any sense out of.

I didn't write the fucking article...I just read it

thats funny though...secret missions:rolleyes:

I can't believe anybody thought it had anything to do with secret missions. I think we were supposed to buy that there are trillions of dollars worth of $500 dollar rolls of toilet paper.

The article does not read the 'Pentagon can't account for $8.5 Trillion.'

It does read that the Pentagon hasn't complied with annual audits which would show where the $8.5 Trillion went.

The monies are now in a "divestment" funding mode. This basically means if it is not, in my case, Navy or Marine Corps scope, it takes a flag officer and above approval to use the contract. This is the first year such actions have been instituted and signals a drastic shift in how monies were spent. I don't know, we are still in a sequestered environment and again, the "free flow" of money to get it done no matter what attitude is gone due to the non-urgency of the demand.

And the beat goes on...:cool:

I bow to your superior knowledge on the matter.

:cool:

A recent investigation has revealed that the Pentagon has failed to account for $8.5 trillion dollars of taxpayer money Congress has allocated toward the U.S. Department of Defense since 1996.
According to the report, out from Reuters, the Pentagon has routinely cooked its books by failing to supply a clear monthly account of the money spent for Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS).

Via Reuters.

Goverment is good, they build roads and bridges and stuff.....

You could feed a dozen undeveloped nations for decades off of the money that our Goverment wastes on a monthly basis.....

So with 8.5 trillion in a black budget what are they preparing for?

An alien invasion?

An asteroid hit?

What are they not telling us?

Don't say black.....they will brand you a racist

The article does not read the 'Pentagon can't account for $8.5 Trillion.'

It does read that the Pentagon hasn't complied with annual audits which would show where the $8.5 Trillion went.

Which means that they can't account for $8.5 trillion.

If you're given $10,000 for operating expenses and the person who provided the cash asks you what you spent it on and you can't tells them, exactly, nor can you provide accurate records, but rather make some shit up.

You can't account for the money.

Back