Palindrome Challenge

JayJams78

Really Experienced
One of the hardest and most rewarding challenges given me as a poet was given by one of the most brilliant poets and spoken word artists I have been privileged to know and learn from. Write a Palindrome Poem. For those who don't know, these poems, like the phrases or words, read the same forward and backwards. The difference is that a palindrome spells the same, the poem just reads the same. (Though, bonus points if you can make it spell the same both ways too. I'm certainly not trying that!)

The trick to these is to write them both ways, backward and forward at the same time. And it gets very hard if you don't want it sounding wooden, garbled, or forced. I wrote two of these, one of them an interconnected series of 11 Haikus, and haven't touched it since. But because I learned the form, I have been able to drop Palindrome Poem phrases in several of my poems to great effect.

So the challenge is not simple, but it is straightforward and the results are rewarding. If you are up for it, write a Palindrome Poem. It may be 10 lines, it may be much longer. But try it and see if you haven't gained a new tool, a useful toy to use in your work.

Happy Wordsmithing!

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Your challenge seems pretty daunting! If I understand it correctly, a palindromic poem uses words like a palindrome uses letters. So~

Madam I'm Adam is a palindrome

Whereas~

Now I am love
My crooked heart
Still smiles
Heart crooked my
Smiles still
Love am I now

This hot mess that I just wrote is a (really awful) palindromic poem. I guess if I added some punctuation, if that's permitted, I could improve it a little.

I did find a site that shows a few other examples of the form. I'm finding them (and my example) to suffer from the constricting nature of the form. Maybe there are other examples you can link? I did use your trick of writing both lines at once. I'm usually game for a challenge and like writing forms but this seems like a lot of work for little payoff. Maybe it's just not for me. :rose:

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Your challenge seems pretty daunting! If I understand it correctly, a palindromic poem uses words like a palindrome uses letters. So~

Madam I'm Adam is a palindrome

Whereas~

Now I am love
My crooked heart
Still smiles
Heart crooked my
Smiles still
Love am I now

This hot mess that I just wrote is a (really awful) palindromic poem. I guess if I added some punctuation, if that's permitted, I could improve it a little.

I did find a site that shows a few other examples of the form. I'm finding them (and my example) to suffer from the constricting nature of the form. Maybe there are other examples you can link? I did use your trick of writing both lines at once. I'm usually game for a challenge and like writing forms but this seems like a lot of work for little payoff. Maybe it's just not for me. :rose:

I think you have some words out of order :)

Now I am love
My crooked heart
Still smiles still
Heart crooked my
Love am I now

And I think that's less a hot mess it may seem to you, especially if some creative punctuation is permitted

I think you have some words out of order :)

Now I am love
My crooked heart
Still smiles still
Heart crooked my
Love am I now

And I think that's less a hot mess it may seem to you, especially if some creative punctuation is permitted

Thanks! I checked it a few times but I'm not very good with the word order/word repeating forms. :eek:

I did think after I posted that I could likely make further improvements if I shifted line breaks around (but still maintained the correct word order).

For example:

Now I am love.
My crooked heart
Still smiles.

Still heart crooked
my love am I
now.

I think that's right? :confused: :D

Creative punctuation is definitely allowed. Other than the word order, there are no rules. And your attempt is not a mess. It is actually beautiful in an odd way.

As for the payoff, if you put the effort in to do these, are do them to the same standard of your other work, you'll be surprised at how much of a payoff there is. Plus you will find yourself using the tool in miniatures at places where spinning the words is the perfect effect.

I will try and hunt down some great examples if how cool these really get.

Happy Palindroming!

day brighter
load lighter
SMILE
lighter load
brighter day

Her True Love (Palindrome)

Her
love
so true
it brings a smile
makes the heart sings
softly
kisses
her charming
kisses
softly
makes the heart sings
it brings a smile
so true
love
Her

Dammit I'm mad
Evil is a deed as I live.
God, am I reviled?
I rise, my bed on a sun, I melt.
To be not one man emanating is sad. I piss.
Alas it is so late. Who stops to help? Man, it is hot.

I'm in it.
I tell.
I am not a devil.
I level "Mad Dog".

Ah, say burning is as a deified gulp
in my halo of a mired rum tin.
I erase many men. Oh, to be man, a sin.
Is evil in a clam? In a trap?
No. It is open.
On it I was stuck.

Rats peed on hope.
Elsewhere dips a web.
Be still if I fill its ebb.
Ew, a spider ... eh?
We sleep.

Oh no!
Deep, stark cuts saw it in one position.
Part animal, can I live? Sin is a name.
Both, one ... my names are in it. Murder?
I'm a fool. A hymn I plug,
Deified as a sign in ruby ash - a Goddam level I lived at.

On mail let it in. I'm it.
Oh, sit in ample hot spots.
Oh, wet!
A loss it is alas (sip). I'd assign it a name.
Name not one bottle minus an ode by me:
"Sir, I deliver. I'm a dog."
Evil is a deed as I live.
Dammit I'm mad.

Okay that last one is just brilliant, but way beyond most of us, including me. It actually SPELLS the same both ways.
At any rate, these should give you an idea of how it works.

Last edited:
Angeline, just to give a taste of what I've done with this form. I will use your piece and show how the punctuation might work.

Now I am love.
My crooked heart
Still
smiles...
Still,
Heart-crooked, my
Love, am I now?

Angeline, just to give a taste of what I've done with this form. I will use your piece and show how the punctuation might work.

Now I am love.
My crooked heart
Still
smiles...
Still,
Heart-crooked, my
Love, am I now?

Thanks for the examples. They're very helpful. I think I might further refine my little poem thus:

Now I am.
Love my crooked heart
still.

Smile still heart!

Crooked, my love am I
now.

To me it works better without the plural "smiles" and it also makes the singular "smile" the center of the poem.

Interesting exercise! :)

I was curious about the author of Dammit I'm Mad, so I did a quick search, and turns out it was written by Demetri Martin, who is most known as a comedian. I haven't seen anything from him in a little while, but I remember thinking he was pretty brilliant some time ago, and it seems that my impression was correct. I'm certainly impressed by his palindrome.

Oh, Angeline! My heart just did a full stop! That was beautiful! Stunningly so! 1, publish that. 2, this form may be daunting, but you are DEFINITELY up for the challenge! Please take it on.

I knew when I posted this thread that most would look at it and just say, "Oh, hell no!" This was put out there for those who love words with enough passion that they are willing to labor in mastering their use. You seem like one of those.

For anyone else like that, the gauntlet has been thrown. And Angeline has put up a damn good show of it already. Poetry geeks rule! 😋

Thanks Angeline, darlin. That was amazing.

Palindrome words only not spelling (yikes)

Here goes....

Loveless

Love

Sing lies

where there's

no

hope to have

It heard you laughing

Running desperate

Sounds without colour

Without you

You without

Colour without sounds

Desperate running

Laughing you heard it

Have to hope

No

There's where

Lies sing

Love

Winter, that is AMAZING! More and more people lie you please! This is the poet's art at its best. Thanks for sharing. I get that threads weave slow in this room, but lets keep this one going!

amazing oak

Amazing oak
Baby acorn sprouts
Leaves unfurling
Prayerful in tribute,
heart open

ordinary but sacred

Life continues
year to year
Past links future
This soil, God of dirt
Envelopes, enfolds, renews

Grief released

Tears like rain,
streaming again
Hope may spring eternal.

Spring may hope again
Streaming rain like tears
Released grief
Renews, enfolds, envelopes
Dirt of God- Soil

This future links past – year to year
continues life

sacred but ordinary
open heart tribute, now prayerful
unfurling leaves, sprouts
Acorn
baby oak
amazing

[first foray into this form. thanks for the challenge - baby steps]

Last edited:
FIRST foray?!!! Shit!!!! This is amazing! I absolutely love it!
I have reread it 3 times now. So much beauty, so many layers, such a perfect economy of words! Thank you so much for sharing that one
It's breathtaking.

Really, all of you so fay are nailing this. I think I need to enter my Palindrome Haiku piece on here, though now I'm not sure mine is near as awesome as what y'all have done! 🙂

FIRST foray?!!! Shit!!!! This is amazing! I absolutely love it!
I have reread it 3 times now. So much beauty, so many layers, such a perfect economy of words! Thank you so much for sharing that one
It's breathtaking.

Really, all of you so fay are nailing this. I think I need to enter my Palindrome Haiku piece on here, though now I'm not sure mine is near as awesome as what y'all have done! 🙂

*blushes
beginners luck. your advice to work backwards and forwards at the same time was indispensable.

Hard learned technique, my dear. Took me a couple months to figure this one out! 💞🙂

Quilterly

Quiltmaker
stitching
stumbling,
fussing
muddled, not muddy
guide my eyes,
my hand sorting

sorting, editing, adding
bright colorful fabric
shades and tones
prints stacked - emboldened
bold and whimsical
textured and subtle

order in contrast
desaturate
palette sorted

ready now
dissemble, assembled
cacophony of color

art collage
cut, stitched, ripped, sewn again
geometric lines
quilterly lines
geometric again

sewn ripped, stitched
cut collage
art

color of cacophony assembled
dissemble now
ready yourself –
sorted palette
desaturate

contrast in order
subtle and textured
whimsical and bold
emboldened

stacked prints
tones and shades
fabric
colorful bright
adding, editing, sorting,
Sorting hand
My eyes my guide
muddy not muddled
fussing,
stumbling, stitching
quiltmaker

With spelling (fml)

I struggled so hard with this fucker and it still reads like a botched abortion in a surrealist screenplay. It's inspired by my horrified realisation that Colonel Tibbets named the superbomber that carried the bomb over Hiroshima after his mum. And that she was proud of him. And that she bought him his first ride in a plane.

Little Boy

On Enola,
No parts deified.

Put up sos,
Red dust.
It sleep pups
Alone

Enola's pup peels tits,
Udders, os, put up,

Deified strap on!
Alone?
No.

Here's my challenge to the OP, share a couple of your own palindrome poems. (They canNOT be worse that the shite I just shared 😂 )

Okay. So I am short time for Lit because of personal things going on in my life, but I will, before I go, post a couple of mine. They will take time to type, so give me a couple days. Then I am gone.

Thank you all for your amazing writing. You have humbled and inspired me. Keep the heart open and the pens moving. The world needs both the honesty and beauty you add to it in your words.

By the way, a couple more posts here ay I am gone, so last chance to check out my published pieces on here.

These seem very difficult to execute. All I could think of as an example was a brief excerpt from the song, "Tea for Two":
"Tea for two and two for tea..." That's just a line, not a poem. Good luck with these.

Back