Over the top? Cringe-inducing?

FINLEYDIXON

LuvLoox betr'n Color
I'm worried I've taken the metaphor too far here. I don't want it to pull the reader out of the story:

I've adjusted to make the scene accessible to more people.

Levi placed a hand on the crown of Jude's head. The warmth of [their] mouth startled his body with unimagined pleasure. He shivered. The slurp of Jude's lips, the stroke of [their] firm hand, pulled Levi to the clouds like a supersonic jet threatening the sound barrier, ripping the sky to shreds with a boom.

It's a little purple, but if it's just the one sentence like that, it's fine. It's a dramatic moment, so being a little over the top isn't the end of the world.

Oh, yeah, if we’re thinking their lips are kissing, it’s definitely too much. I can see why that would be unclear without context, but only one pair of lips are involved.

Glad I got feedback, thanks.

I don't think it's so much the fact that it's too intense. It can be intense. The bigger issue in my eyes is the fact that a supersonic aircraft is not a very romantic or erotic metaphor. You can keep the energy of the metaphor, but maybe make the image something more associative with romance or the sensory experience.

... a supersonic jet teasing the sound barrier ...

ETA:
... a supersonic jet teasing the sound barrier, threatening to rip the sky apart with a colossal boom.

Last edited:
I'm worried I've taken the metaphor too far here. I don't want it to pull the reader out of the story:

I've adjusted to make the scene accessible to more people.

Levi placed a hand on the crown of Jude's head. The warmth of [their] mouth startled his body with unimagined pleasure. He shivered. The slurp of Jude's lips, the stroke of [their] firm hand, pulled Levi to the clouds like a supersonic jet threatening the sound barrier, ripping the sky to shreds with a boom.

What exactly were Jude's lips slurping again? Because that might help clarify the later sonic boom 😆

Back