One story where you stuck the landing

Definitely Chemistry of Love. I think it really captures the essence of personal growth the alpha couple has experienced over the course of the story, and establishes once and for all that the female half of said couple is not the shrinking violet everyone - including her now-boyfriend - thinks she is.

Living up to the Legacy I still tear up when I get to the ending. There’s a reason it’s my highest rated story.

It's a story about expectations and how difficult it can be to live up to them, a story of a young girl in transition, trying to figure out who and what she is under the pressure of a dominating father. In the end, she realizes, she was exactly who and what she was supposed to be, that the legacy she was trying to live up to was the wrong one.

"... All those years, I had been trying to be what I thought someone else wanted me to be.

I had been trying to live up to a legacy.

It was just the wrong one."

My Loving Wives Story Fire Woman was another story where I did well at the ending, I think. Doug had a crush on Emily, she had one on him, they satisfied buried desires with a hookup... but it was clear to Emily he wouldn't leave his wife for her. She accepted that, settled for a three-way hookup the morning after and presumed friends with benefits status with both of them. Maybe she'll find another marriage someday and it will go better than her first one that she ended. Happiness all around. :)

Of the twenty something different stories I've posted to date. My fave ending was in Seaside. I let the reader decide on the story's conclusion.

A good story ending is indeed a gleaming jewel. I find it far easier to craft a snappy, intriguing beginning, while a satisfying, gather-up-the-loose-ends-with-summary finish does rank up there with the rare and precious gymnastic 'stick.'

I am struck and chagrined at how rarely I manage a suitable end to a story, but will break the 'one example' rule here by offering two that almost please me, (the first from a April Fool's day contest entry that did not sit well with readers - my second lowest rated story ever - folks don't seem to like 'surprise' plot twists) and another that intrigued me enough to follow up with a continuing series some three years further down the road from the initial offer.

From 'Blown Birthday':

Even then however, I was starting to think that if we were still together as a couple this time next year, that there would be revenge of the most dastardly sort.

"Let's get me out of these things, Mae," was what I said however, waving my wrists around in their restraints.

From 'Don't Let Sleeping Dicks Lie':

So there you have it. My condition is not listed in the latest DSM manual (I have checked) so I am not in clinical waters. I am not exactly proud of my compulsive interest, and it has introduced its share of complications over the years, but it has provided me plenty of enjoyment, and hasn't actually ever hurt or damaged anyone. You can't say that of all human behaviors, so I will leave it at that.

I put enormous weight on my endings. So much so that I nearly always write them early in the process.

I think my best ending is Queen of the Roller Derby.

I used a device that I have found effective. The final lines of the story paraphrase lines from the prologue, bringing the protagonist's arch to a full circle.

From the response it has gotten, I definitely stuck the landing. It delivers a strong emotional punch, but is also is subtly humorous.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 9.28.21 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-05-02 at 9.29.01 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-05-02 at 9.27.58 PM.png

I guess the ending of a novel I’m most proud of is Ingrid’s Dark Secret Passion. The main plot line describes the titled character, Ingrid, although mainly straight, having about a year and a half long lesbian affair with an older woman some twenty plus years her senior. Ingrid is an excellent concert pianist and music composer who is offered to join with an established world famous violinist on a worldwide concert tour of all the continents (Antarctica obviously excluded). The tour would no doubt establish her as an international star in classical music. However, she confesses to her lover that she is reluctant to join the tour and instead would rather live with her lover in Vienna and just perform in Austria. The lover then disappears from Ingrid’s life forcing her to go on the tour and claim her rightful place as a premier pianist. At the end Ingrid composes a three movement violin and piano sonata dedicating to the affair. I incidentally lost a reader along the way. The anonymous reader was apparently enchanted with the affair but then proclaimed to stop reading as he/she was devastated by the ending of the affair.

Back