One person narration Vs. screenplay

DoctorSmith8

Really Really Experienced
Most audio books feature one person narrating and perhaps trying to change their voice to represent different characters. But my favorite were the full blown productions of the old radio dramas in the 40s and 50s, with separate voices for each character. I chose to follow that format with my audio adventures. Adding sound effects and mood music is my favorite part which really brings a story alive. But since this is just a hobby for me, I can't justify dumping a bunch of money into it. I enjoy creating my own sound effects and I have collected a whole library of non copy-written music. For my voices, I discovered 'text to speech'. In fact that's what got me going on the whole idea. I purchased about 25 voices to choose from to create my cast for a particular story. And some stories use a combination of real voices and digital, depending on who I can find that wants to contribute their time to the project. Anyways that's where I'm at. Please chime in with your thoughts on audio book vs screenplay.

Here is an example of my style...

[There are a few locations where published Lit authors may link to off-site work. ( Sticky thread, signature, bio options ) Please do not do so in forum posts. -AH Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
I created an audio version of my posted text story, "Uncle Sugar Daddy: Luna", which is a narrated reading of the original story posted here. I added some music and used different voices for each of the characters.

The completed audio is just over an hour long, so before posting it here on Literotica, I would appreciate advice on whether I should keep it this long, or break it up into smaller segments. This is the first of a current three-part series, so if I do break it up, I'll need to plan ahead for how to handle the other episodes when I create them.

https://audiomack.com/song/bbrandt/uncle-sugar-daddy-luna?key=unclesugardaddyluna

I love the old radio dramas, but for ebooks, I want it read straight by a single narrator with minimal inflection and voice changes.

The difference is whether the work was written as prose or as a play. They are very different things. For the latter, I want the drama to come from the performance. For the former, I want it to come directly from the author, as much as possible.

Back