Technical Guide & Resources for Audio Creation

lunarhiccups

Experienced
So you want to start making audios... and that's AWESOME! In an attempt to make your journey into audio erotica less overwhelming, I compiled a list of tools & a beginner's guide. Please add tools, advice, recommendations and more below. I am not an expert in this field, so I would love to continue to update this list to be a wonderful resource for everyone and reflective of the community as a whole.​

For more information on how to get started, (how to get comfortable, set up your space, proper mic technique etc.) please read this stickied thread from Handley_Page

Posting Etiquette
Whenever I post an audio here to Literotica, I try to include some or all of the following information for the listener. Find a formula that works best for you!
  • Synopsis
    • What is the audio about? A few sentences will do it
  • Author & Script Credit
    • Write the author's username & include a link to their piece is this is a "script fill"
    • If improvised or self-published, give yourself credit here
  • Production/SFX
    • Did someone help with editing of your piece? If so, make sure to give them credit
    • Some free SFX or music websites allow for free use when they are properly credited
  • Listener Descriptors
    • Genitalia Desciption (What words were used? Cock, penis, pussy, cunt? Was it described as smooth, hairy, large, small etc.?)
    • Physical Description (Tall, short, bald, hair, skin tone, eye color etc.)
  • Tags

Where to Find Scripts
When posting your scripted audio piece to Literotica, please credit the author with their preferred username & a link back to their page/work whenever possible. Send them a message as well to let them know you filled their work!

Audio Recording/Editing Software

Audacity
Platform: Windows, macOS, GNU/Linux and other operating systems.​
Price: Free​

Garageband
Platform: macOS, iOS​

Adobe Audition
Platform: Windows, macOS​
Price: $20.99/Month (USD)​

Logic Pro X
Platform: masOS​
Price: $199.99 (USD)​

Sound Effects & Music

Freesound
Price: Free

Zapsplat
Price: Free, Gold Account Ā£4/Month GBP​

Free SFX

Partners In Rhyme

SoundsCrate

99Sounds

Orange Free Sounds

Gumroad
Price: Varies per pack​
Epidemic Sound
Price: $9/Month for Personal License​

Recommended Beginner Microphones *USB
I started with my wired iPhone headphones and know plenty of people who also record directly into their laptops. If you're looking to create audios as a hobbyist, do not let the gear stop you! If you are looking to take it the next step up, here's some USB microphones I recommend. A USB mic connects directly to the USB port on your computer, while an XLR mic requires an external recording interface or a digital I/O. A USB mic is a great option for those just starting out without having to invest in an interface and the quality is still professional. Cardioid pattern mics which are ideal for voiceover because they focus only on what's in front of the mic. This helps limit the amount of ambient noise filtering through the microphone especially when recording from home.

Rode NT-USB Condenser Microphone
Cardioid, Condenser​
MSRP: $299.00 USD​

Audio-Technica AT2020USB+
Cardioid, Condenser​
$103.00 USD​

Shure MV5
Condenser​
$99 USD (I have seen these go on sale for $60-$70 USD)

*I purposely left Blue off of this list because I bought TWO Snowballs and they broke within a year so this is my revenge. I replaced it with a Shure MV5 which became one of my favorite microphones to use, and it plugs into your iOS device as well.

Accessories/Sound Proofing/Pop Filters

Pop Filter
This helps soften plosives like "P, B" when you speak into the microphone
$10.99 USD​

Isolation Shield
This helps reduce the amount of noise your mic picks up from directly around it, making your voice more of the focus. A lot of isolation shields also come with pop filters too.
$54.99 USD​

Boom Arm
This allows you to move your microphone around freely. A lot of USB mics don't have proper mounting abilities, so make sure to check that you can actually mount them to the boom arm you choose. They also may or may not be compatible with your isolation shield, so again, make sure you check.
$19.97 USD​

Kaotica Eyeball
While it's ideal to have a soundproof room or even a closet, sometimes it's not a reality. This is a bit pricey, but gives you the feeling of a mobile recording space.
$150-$200 USD​

Tutorials

Microphone Technique
Audacity
Garageband
Soundproofing

Last edited:
I recorded my audio into my galaxy phone at night when family was away. Recordings came out perfectly!

So you want to start making audios... and that's AWESOME! In an attempt to make your journey into audio erotica less overwhelming, I compiled a list of tools & a beginner's guide. Please add tools, advice, recommendations and more below. I am not an expert in this field, so I would love to continue to update this list to be a wonderful resource for everyone and reflective of the community as a whole.​

For more information on how to get started, (how to get comfortable, set up your space, proper mic technique etc.) please read this stickied thread from Handley_Page

Posting Etiquette
Whenever I post an audio here to Literotica, I try to include some or all of the following information for the listener. Find a formula that works best for you!
  • Synopsis
    • What is the audio about? A few sentences will do it
  • Author & Script Credit
    • Write the author's username & include a link to their piece is this is a "script fill"
    • If improvised or self-published, give yourself credit here
  • Production/SFX
    • Did someone help with editing of your piece? If so, make sure to give them credit
    • Some free SFX or music websites allow for free use when they are properly credited
  • Listener Descriptors
    • Genitalia Desciption (What words were used? Cock, penis, pussy, cunt? Was it described as smooth, hairy, large, small etc.?)
    • Physical Description (Tall, short, bald, hair, skin tone, eye color etc.)
  • Tags

Where to Find Scripts
When posting your scripted audio piece to Literotica, please credit the author with their preferred username & a link back to their page/work whenever possible. Send them a message as well to let them know you filled their work!

Audio Recording/Editing Software

Audacity
Platform: Windows, macOS, GNU/Linux and other operating systems.​

Garageband
Platform: macOS, iOS​

Adobe Audition
Platform: Windows, macOS​
Price: $20.99/Month (USD)​

Logic Pro X
Platform: masOS​
Price: $199.99 (USD)​

Sound Effects & Music

Freesound

Zapsplat
Price: Free, Gold Account Ā£4/Month GBP​

Free SFX

Partners In Rhyme

SoundsCrate

99Sounds

Orange Free Sounds

Gumroad
Price: Varies per pack​
Epidemic Sound
Price: $9/Month for Personal License​

Recommended Beginner Microphones *USB
I started with my wired iPhone headphones and know plenty of people who also record directly into their laptops. If you're looking to create audios as a hobbyist, do not let the gear stop you! If you are looking to take it the next step up, here's some USB microphones I recommend. A USB mic connects directly to the USB port on your computer, while an XLR mic requires an external recording interface or a digital I/O. A USB mic is a great option for those just starting out without having to invest in an interface and the quality is still professional. Cardioid pattern mics which are ideal for voiceover because they focus only on what's in front of the mic. This helps limit the amount of ambient noise filtering through the microphone especially when recording from home.

Rode NT-USB Condenser Microphone
Cardioid, Condenser​
MSRP: $299.00 USD​

Audio-Technica AT2020USB+
Cardioid, Condenser​
$103.00 USD​

Shure MV5
Condenser​
$99 USD (I have seen these go on sale for $60-$70 USD)

*I purposely left Blue off of this list because I bought TWO Snowballs and they broke within a year so this is my revenge. I replaced it with a Shure MV5 which became one of my favorite microphones to use, and it plugs into your iOS device as well.

Accessories/Sound Proofing/Pop Filters

Pop Filter
This helps soften plosives like "P, B" when you speak into the microphone
$10.99 USD​

Isolation Shield
This helps reduce the amount of noise your mic picks up from directly around it, making your voice more of the focus. A lot of isolation shields also come with pop filters too.
$54.99 USD​

Boom Arm
This allows you to move your microphone around freely. A lot of USB mics don't have proper mounting abilities, so make sure to check that you can actually mount them to the boom arm you choose. They also may or may not be compatible with your isolation shield, so again, make sure you check.
$19.97 USD​

Kaotica Eyeball
While it's ideal to have a soundproof room or even a closet, sometimes it's not a reality. This is a bit pricey, but gives you the feeling of a mobile recording space.
$150-$200 USD​

Tutorials

Microphone Technique
Audacity
Garageband
Soundproofing
Your content and stories are amazing too!!

Back