On the relationship between the author and the reader.

Astrotrain

Triple Changer
There was something I heard once. This doesn't just apply to erotic fiction, but to all fiction: "The relationship between the artist and the audience is a BDSM relationship. And the audience is the sub."

Thoughts? I just found it intriguing since I'm into BDSM, particularly orgasm denial. After all, they don't call them anticlimaxes for nothing...

I’ve done quite a lot of wholly consensual BDSM, mostly as a receiver (I’ve stopped saying sub as people use the word in different ways). Can’t say that it reminds me much of either writing or reading.

Emily

There was a infamous review by Harry Knowles of the movie Blade 2 back in the day that I can't seem to find to save my life so if anyone can post a link, that'd be great. Basically he goes into an extended and incredibly graphic sexual metaphor to describe the same thing: the authors job is to tease, tantalise and intrigue the audience, raise their expectations only to send them crashing down and then finally give them that all satisfying climax at the end. It doesn't have to be blatant, it could be incredibly subtle, barely even noticible, but it's always there, working away in the background.

There was a infamous review by Harry Knowles of the movie Blade 2 back in the day that I can't seem to find to save my life so if anyone can post a link, that'd be great. Basically he goes into an extended and incredibly graphic sexual metaphor to describe the same thing: the authors job is to tease, tantalise and intrigue the audience, raise their expectations only to send them crashing down and then finally give them that all satisfying climax at the end. It doesn't have to be blatant, it could be incredibly subtle, barely even noticible, but it's always there, working away in the background.
In that sense, then yes, the BDSM image works.

I'd say it's more of a switch kind of gig considering how abusive some of the readers can be. I've seen some comments and read some of the horror stories shared here about some of the anons and trolls on this site. Especially the tales told by LW writers. I'll never touch that place with a 10 foot pole.

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding glib, I personally feel more like a guy giving out free hand jobs...sure, I'd prefer to be getting paid, but I derive enough pleasure out of the handjob itself - and the occasional affirmation that I'm not too bad at it - to keep doing it. 😉

Teasing / edging is not necessary synonymous with BDSM.

Emily

There was something I heard once. This doesn't just apply to erotic fiction, but to all fiction: "The relationship between the artist and the audience is a BDSM relationship. And the audience is the sub."

Thoughts? I just found it intriguing since I'm into BDSM, particularly orgasm denial. After all, they don't call them anticlimaxes for nothing...
I write mysteries and I don't see that relationship at all. The author-reader relationship I work with is that the author can't spring unknowable/unrevealed necessary clues to the resolution on the reader. Some authors do, even in the commercial world, but I don't and I drop reading of works by authors who do.

The mystery trope I more often use with readers is that the obvious villain is, in fact, the villain, although other possibilities are given. So many mysteries are written counter to this that it usually comes as a surprise to the reader when "the butler" actually did it. I try in my mysteries to make the surprise something else--the why, for instance.

I never think about the reader. Have no idea what our relationship is.

Since I write alone it might be more similar to furiously masturbating, until the thing is done and my editor rocks up and suddenly it feels like I was being watched the whole time and have to explain myself.

As for the readers, our relationship is symbiotic in that it gives me encouragement and them entertainment, but I rarely ever think about them during the writing process. That might be a flaw.

Well, if you're writing for yourself, then you're doing it to yourself. You're both the domme and the sub in that situation. An extended session of solo self edging, you might say.

I don't agree with this at all, as a generalization. It might be true for some. I don't think it's true for me. We all have our own metaphorical constructs, and I think it's better to think of it that way than to try to apply one construct to everyone.

Well, if you're writing for yourself, then you're doing it to yourself. You're both the domme and the sub in that situation. An extended session of solo self edging, you might say.

Actually? That's a pretty damn good way to describe my writing mindset.

I don't generally think much about the readers, except on the rare occasions that I do chaptered work. Then, I think about them quite a bit. In terms of this construct, I feel like I'm the sub in that situation, attempting to meet their exacting expectations.

The relationship between the artist and the audience is a BDSM relationship. And the audience is the sub.

Maybe that one critic viewed the relationship that way, but different authors have different kinks:

Nabokov in Lolita sits the reader on the bed and tells them how they can’t compare to his true love, leaving them sad and horny.

Proust fondles the reader without mercy while talking endlessly until the reader begs for release, which is still three hours in the future.

Dashiell Hammett ties up and handcuffs the reader while edging them, adding more and more constraints, until right at the end he satisfies the reader and with one pull unties all the knots. That's great, but he makes the reader get dressed and leave so he can do the next customer.

David Foster Wallace creates elaborate dungeons and then forces the reader to watch his characters torture each other.

Michael Crichton, on the other hand, builds a super high tech dungeon that the reader can’t resist and just looking at it makes them come, but then it all collapses disastrously.

Joyce walks you around Dublin all day talking religion and politics and getting you into trouble, until you’re exhausted. Then at night he gets you so drunk you hallucinate. But somehow you wake up in bed with his hot wife.

Balzac also has a hot wife and invites you to fuck her, and she’s really nice, but in the end you understand you’ve become involved in a dysfunctional relationship.

Stephen King persuades the reader to go up into his attic boudoir, out of which are emanating weird smells and creepy sounds. The reader goes there and it’s horrifying, but somehow they want to do it again and again.

Anais Nin tries to be the reader’s sub, and explains how great it will be, especially for her, but she has to get permission from her husband. Years later the reader realizes it was an important life experience.

The list goes on and on.

I have thought about my relationship with the readers more as if I'm the founder of the feast. I'm the guy who throws the fun parties and people look forward to the next one. My goal becomes to make the next party just as good as the last, but change up the theme so that it never gets predictable.

"Okay folks, party next Saturday. The men must be naked and the women must ignore the fact. The buffet will be served on the body of a twenty-one-year-old basketball player. See you then!"

Back