New Poetry Recommendations

Monday trips the trigger.

Rocks the day ,or makes you think..which is the first poem up..I think therefore am I
creating my world within or without..Neo touches the point of mind waves flowing in the twins of thought..Making one really want to know just what is in that imagination of his?Variables Unknown
by neonurotic ©

Next WSO leaves the mind wandering through the garden of a midnight Rendevous in shadow...
Silhouettes of Strangers
by wildsweetone

Ok...tis all that rocked the Monday boat for me....there are others so go fishing and read...and comment if you see one I missed...ty/blue

Liar said:
A few more...

<snip>

Dustystar trickle out some memorable musings in all that survives/mannequin. Not the absolute a-game from one of Lit's finest poets, but that's only because she has set the bar so damn high. So it's still one of the best of the day. And week. :)

<snip>

I just went back to read new poem recommendations from the past few days and was bowled over by this offering from Dustystar. It's a wonderful write, full of the kind of twists and turns literary geeks will love. I'll second Liar's recommendation!

Slim pickings from a hefty (29) haul of new poems for a Tuesday but I wouldn’t throw these few back -

Decayed Angel has two audio poems Dark Winged and
Each Greedy Sip .
I thought the first one the stronger writing of the two
and both benefited from the reading.

Reluctant Muse With An Attitude by Bill Dada
is a concise Haiku-like piece which, together with the title,
make up a clever little package. My pick for the day.

Inherited by dorksicle is a grabber but was ruined for me by the use of “beared”
– it could just be a typo and is meant to read “bared”
or a grammatical clinker and should be “borne” but,
having read much of this writer’s work I think it must be the former.

There’s always something for someone so I’m sure you’ll find I’ve missed a gem.
If so, please point it out, I’m exhausted and disappointed.

Wednesday's reviews (part one)...

If you've yet to realize that TheRainMan is a must read, see this link...

CLICK ME

...and I'm almost certain you'll find that you agree with me about the nature of his work. This submission in particular has a haunting nature that is emphasized by exceptional use of line breaks and transitions.

snippet:

You built me

in the shadows of a different
day’s light, stained my
deepest grain. But I no longer feel
the work of your hands.

rhetoric by 4degrees reads deliciously, both aloud and on paper. I highly recommend mumbling it under your breath at work, just to see what the man in the cubicle next to yours has to say.

Coming soon...Tzara's take on your middle-of-the-week poetry selections. :D

These two are my suggestions for the day, but there are more than a handful of other new poems for your reading perusal and enjoyment, so get cracking!

Happy Wednesday! :)

Wednesday's reviews, part two

O Wednesday!

Seventeen new poems, if I counted right. Here are my suggestions:
  • Given Seattle's weather, by rights I should be TheRainMan, but I'm not. I sure wish I could write as well as he does, though. TRM's A Different Day's Light is a particularly graceful example. I like to think I learn a little about the craft of poetry by reading his poems. I particularly like how the enjambment pulls the reader forward across the strophe breaks.

Oh, and it sounds really well too. Read this one out loud.
  • Another poem that sounds really well is rhetoric by 4degrees. Kind of funny, too. The line "my ether ore" has me thinking of Kierkegaard, and a day without Kierkegaard is a day without sunshine.
  • Speaking of funny, I found Wordplay by evelyn_carroll amusing, if rather crass at times. I just have to mention anyone who can use the word "surd" in a poem. The poet seems to use a strangely limited vocabulary, though. ;)
Those are my recommendations for the day. There's a whole bunch of other poems out there to read. Go check them out.

New Poems of Thursday January 12, 2006

There are 28 new submissions on this January day, and as I always do, I start off with a non-erotic "spinner" from the archives.

Today's Golden Oldie:
This work was posted in May of 2004, and I found this poem by JCSTREET on just the sixth spin. This prolific poet posted from February into September of 2004, then disappeared.- Our loss.

Ultimate Ski Experience

THE ULTIMATE SKI EXPERIENCE 740307mtl

By CARL EDGAR LAW
( c ) 1974, 2004

For the ultimate ski experience --
British Columbia!
that’s what the ad said:
Philip read, he
pondered he
went

Philip’s dead his
horoscope
that morning said setback
setback occurs but

move with the tide; he did –
slow in a glisten-struck
sweep-shard of snow

first!

the knees buckled the
lower spine dropped down the
pole-linked arms moved up in self-defence

then!

body twisted………..one
pole raced lightly one
pole spiked in

next!

spine and hip were one, the
snow a trembling
effervesence not unlike
the Schweppes-swept gin his wife
mixed freely with her tears and

finally

a moving
tumult blending with the white
limbs crack, blood bursts
like snowflakes from his nose they
found him twenty
minutes down his mouth
snow-packed, found
him three feet down the
mountie said the
chest was crushed he
felt no pain he
felt no pain as muscle here buckled
and sinew
snapped with the belling of hardwood

II.

Yes . . . there were
those who didn’t always like Philip they
thought he moved too quickly sometimes or
overindulged, bit off
life with the great gulp
of a raven

but!

these men they rose
all noble up armed from a sown
field
to cry his name to sound
trumpets from the battlements the
drawbridge rose, I
stood without
their hostile stare

they!

cloaked poor Philips wife in
raiments
dazzling and impenetrable they
sang his name in numbing feasts

that!

winter was a darkling
moon that winter
shrouded in question marks

III.

Philip was taken in his winsome
prime a beast
winged full-bellied
over the tundra, taken
by wolves
lean-toothed and yelping

Philip was taken reluctantly
muscle
bowed like oak-stave, the
tall-browed head bent down, his
cold struck eye . . .

Philip was taken at 40, his
silver drops
a pitter patter rain
chaff of his love

And!

Philip’s wife mourns she was ever
born and sifts
this chaff in search of kernels
Philip was a harsh
thresher of dreams he
wielded his lash with
a terrible lust
until he was consumed

IV.

Let me
get this right . .

Philip carved a virgin
slipbank of snow
tore and thrust and spiked deep the terrible red
flush of his blood
poured it unbridled, deeply
into the white

But!

Philip always knew
how to tear innocence
asunder

--30--

Only two poems caught my eye today.

The first is Chances are ... by My Erotic Trail . I do agree that the last two lines could be improved (or perhaps the last line omitted), but overall this is a poem that touches the life of most everyone eventually. This poem also shows the continued growth of the poet.

My second recommended read for today is If I Were Free by SelenaKittyn.
I'd sleep until the sun
forced me out of bed and
I'd stay up to hear the velvet rustle
of white moonlit trees
and howl until I felt alive.
I'd eat chocolate and all things sweet. . .
This poem has good flow and some strong imagery, but it might be even better with a little paring, and perhaps separation into stanzas (although the tumbling juxtaposition of images does add to the fun of the poem). :rose:

standard fishy disclaimer:
Taste is always an individual thing so there certainly may be other poems out there today that you will thoroughly enjoy. If you find ones you really like on the New Poems page, please come back and tell us about them!

And please remember that our poets need your support, so Read Vote Comment Feedback. It won’t come back around if you don’t send it out! ;)

Regards, Rybka

To A Poet, Who Would Have Me Praise Certain Bad Poets. . .
You say, as I have often given tongue
In praise of what another's said or sung,
'Twere politic to do the like by these;
But was there ever dog that praised his fleas?
~ Yeats

Tzara said:
O Wednesday!

S
  • Given Seattle's weather, by rights I should be TheRainMan, but I'm not. I sure wish I could write as well as he does, though. TRM's A Different Day's Light is a particularly graceful example. I like to think I learn a little about the craft of poetry by reading his poems. I particularly like how the enjambment pulls the reader forward across the strophe breaks.

• Far be it from me to exhibit me-tooism, but I third this, it is a welcome after an absence. Well, you like the enjambment...just one of few reasons, one can learn from...

If silence is absence
of sound, then why does it deafen
the B-movie hero when the monsters stop
their claw-scraped scamper
through the heat vents, the parent who loses
gurgles from the nursery, the soldier
when the mortars quit? Silence falls

with the surety of the judge’s gavel,
like fiber mats thrown over ancient criminals
in the peat bogs of Ireland, pressing life
into the quiet water as the limbs and face
grow still. Centuries later the poet stumbles
on tangled cords and stares
into silent confession. He is struck deaf
by that soured mouth.

No new poems today.

I disagree with flyboy. There are some that should get an honorable mention at the very least.

beyond a whisper falls into the sitcom cathegory. While I think it needs tightening it has promise.

Next one is beastie boy the product is very scatchy and raw, but again there is promise. I especially like the grittyness of it all. Hard stuff!

And a different day's light good stuff. But I have to admit that it smells a little of "ubercraft" such as for instance the last line. It's almost cliche for someone as capable.

Not to forget The blank muse with attitude an aphorism of the sort I like. Short to the point and worth hours of ponderance (not sure if that is word).

And finally alone which haunts me. Now, now I know I am biased but if you were married to her wouldn't you be haunted.

Enough for today

later...
Mine by Angeline, well, well crafted

Come In by champagne1982 although I've heard most of it on those 900 numbers

Pervasive by annaswirls Ever wonder what a Hallmark Card looks like from a parrallel universe?

No one gets my Linux poems by vic_elor ~ I Got It! really!

Two new poets (I think) to watch
Tunnel Vision by lexitopoi

Taking You by newtoboston ~ a word of advice, turn your comments on, and be open to advice.

and of course:
Orpheus, Ending by Tzara is beginning to bloom inside my skull

these are just the ones I'm reacting to

New Poems Reviews
Saturday 14, 2006

going down the list,

Spirit Body by SelenaKittyn ...our spirit is in all things, as this poem relays in a very poetic way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Someday She'll Know by RedHairedandFreindly you can not read this and not feel her emotions. I found this to be a good write for it displays relationships of so many and the thoughts and feelings they live with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Come In by Champagne1982 a very erotic trail of words that you'll not want to miss <grin>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amnesia by Steve Porter I can't remember what I was going to say about this poem <bigrin... I caught the Amnesia...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Prevasive by annaswirls Hot, sizzling erotic poetry that even I can relate too <grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I read all fifty five poems and those were the ones that grabbed me. There are some good poems and great poets in the list today so please read/vote/comment and...enjoy.

Yesterday, I read all of the poems, from the abhorrent to the sublime. Today, nothing abhorrent, the dilemma: everyone that I voted on and commented on was better than today's, should I slap a bunch of 75's on these, to further my rep as the bad guy of Lit, the (unwarrented) orge of the newbies, wreck whatever slim chance of winning whatever. No, I'll do what every thinking man does and take the cowards way out, I mention the ones that caught my eye.

If these walls could by lexitopoi

I think this guy has good instincts. Opening lines caught me:
If these walls could speak :rolleyes:
but then he saves himself
they'd sneer;

a way with words:
ever stale with rumor fumes

But he suffers from a bit of "lack of weeding" , "lack of tighting up". He has potential. He will live up to it if he is honestly told what works, what doesn't.

Now,
A Girl's Best Friend by LeBroz
LeBroz writes tight, does make mistakes:
Dress in dust and webs not fatal, could be better.
has good instincts for turning the ordinary around, the whole crystal thing could have been horrendous, but he does what is not expected with it.
LeBroz suffers from the "big statement" syndrome, he has a tendency to tell you, not lead you. He will work that out, my advice, lighten up.

writers block by ExitableBoy ~ nicely done, interesting...considering subject matter, nothing killer. Weak subject matter, either do "killer" or craft it so well you over look the subject matter.

Forbidden Fruit by Sapphos Sister
a twofer, (or is that toofer, maybe tuefel)
They really sing, but he problem with these, is fruit and sex is as old as Adam and Eve , I've seen it 10,000 times before, nothing really new, no new twists.

Go ahead, disagree with me. By all means leave comments, they deserve them, all of the writers today do. But today, I don't feel like leaving 75's.

New Poems Reviews
Sunday 15, 2006

for you Du~

A Girl's Best Friend by LeBroz...an interesting concept of a girl's best friend... a great poem leon,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh Vienna by bluerains the witty word wizard casts images that are pure poetry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ice Cream foreplay
by sophia jane what better way to eat your ice cream <grin...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Words by vampiredust a great example of words and thoughts, of course the title says it all, My Words,

...what do you want to bet some one will want them changed <grin

have a great day, read some poetry; read/vote/comment

Last edited:
Cold Monday finds my first view, a favorite poet ~Art~ with ~Sand..I really like the feeling of this one but, I find the use of sand is a bit much ...IMHO I would have used different words as example in red ...but , thats just me maybe..I do use ott words at times am told... ;) anywhy great work Art...
sand~~~
by My Erotic Trail ©

the surf tosses me another thought
in glistening grains that sparkle
among the drab brown grit
for as far as my mind can see
a speckle of crumbs for for each woman or man
those that have passed
or those which will be
living today...
is the sand that is glistening
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Six audio works today by this poet ...I thought the first one had an old Rockwell feeling of small town life one could look at his Stockbridge work and read this poem and be there...very nice work..as well the others too...

A Precedent Lie
by Decayed Angel ©

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another poet I haven't read much from but, he/she is wanting to put someone the dinner menu of delightful tongue tests...hoTT read...
On Your Tab
by lexitopoi ©

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And last one the menu today is
We hold the power
by RedHairedandFriendly ©

giving the power of words in this nice flowing pen...

More on the list to view ...if time permits go read and comment PLEASE!!!
they are all good...tcb/blue

New poems that I’d like to recommend.

A Handful of Thai Leaves by seannelson, an interesting poet with a variety of styles.
I don’t particularly like this one but it would be nice to have heard the poet reading it him self.
I’ want to draw attention to his collection of work here .

Letters in Red Ink by TheRainMan

“I make it with these inventions of hands,
my red palms strong
on the glorious freedom of your knees
as I pry them open like paper bars.”

My initial response was It’s just not fair! but of course it is.
We’re lucky to have such a talent and generosity among us.
Just go and reads it if you haven’t done so yet.

Pains only when it rains by neonurotic .
I agree with the comments left already on any weakness
but the over-all work is strong.

Room and time for some general thoughts –

First, to the poets who work so hard to produce poems that never seem to get mentioned. Don’t lose heart; every poem by other poets that you read and every poem you write yourself will help you improve, if you want to.

Secondly, a thank you to the people who leave comments on a regular basis, I know, from experience, that when I started out the comments left for me were what spurred me to learn more.

Lastly, please go and read the poems on offer. Nowhere else (that I know of) allows us to show our poems so freely. We’re lucky, you know?

Thanks *steps off soap-box*

Last edited by a moderator:

damn I know I did not discover him, but just wanted to put a shout out in case anyone has thus far missed him. This poet reminds me of my favorites- the writing stands out as new-- a different twist on thoughts and words. It makes my brain stand up and notice, wait...pay attention....something is moving in a way I have not seen...

god I love when that happens!

That non erotic poem is treading on my ground. I know how 1201 felt when he said that about me! LOL

Very good poems!

Come to think of it if 1201 wrote erotica, he'd write it like that!

bogusbrig said:
That non erotic poem is treading on my ground. I know how 1201 felt when he said that about me! LOL

Very good poems!

Come to think of it if 1201 wrote erotica, he'd write it like that!
nah, tooo normal for me
annaswirls said:

damn I know I did not discover him, but just wanted to put a shout out in case anyone has thus far missed him. This poet reminds me of my favorites- the writing stands out as new-- a different twist on thoughts and words. It makes my brain stand up and notice, wait...pay attention....something is moving in a way I have not seen...

god I love when that happens!
just joining the shout for lexitopoi

speaking of twisted thoughts and
"something is moving in a way I have not seen..."

The Sound of Gravity by Bill Dada

way back when, before Roger Waters, there was Syd Barrett...
I like what Dada do do
barf and all

Wednesday 2006.01.18

Hey, y'all.

I'm running out the door to catch a plane, so I only had time for a quick scan through the 22 new poems today.

Perhaps I was trying to read them too quickly, but I will only mention one: All the Next Hellos by oregon_gal speaks to feelings we've probably all had. Give it a read.

duckiesmut should be along later to give you another take on the day. You might want to get the jump on her (or, perhaps jump on her, I dunno) and check out the days poems your own selfs.

Stay out of the rain, folks.

It's bright-white sunny out, and I have coffee. Life is good.

One poem Tzara neglected to mention, probably just because of the sheer earliness of the hour... :D

We See an Eagle, Feeding

On first reading, this threw me for a loop, in comparison to the poet's other writings. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the simplicity of the language and the poem's structure. To me, the punctuation is good as is, especially in the last stanza. The ending lines are sublime. And I despise that word, but here, is stands. Sublime.

There is a hefty bundle of other poems posted today. Please go scout and let us know which others strike your fancy.

-The un-jumped duck

Back