New Poetry Recommendations

In that case, I'll lock the door and fetch my own camera. And a switch.

As a loyal Democrat, I of course support striking nipples. :eek:

Don't confuse my nipples with switches (being deliberately obtuse) it's easy to do right now.

*strikes a pose* Is this my best side?

The Tuesday Reviews on Wednesday

Greetings all. Nearly New Poems from yesterday. Get 'em while they're still luke-warm.

::

Gravity. What can one say about concrete poetry? A waste of silicates in d'mass' eyes. However, we live in inclusive times so I'll swallow my natural aversions and recommend pushkine's "heavy" offering. It's actually rather clever in it's use of quadratic doubling to simulate a trajectory. Having said that, the acid test is to ignore the appearance of the poem and see if there is anything behind the "concrete". Well, pushkine has written better stuff but I've certainly recommended worse (and might, no doubt, today as yesterday progresses). Read it.

It's nice to see even under the pressure of Survivor, the odd decent poem. I really enjoyed Cornish Coastal Road by Tristesse2, maybe because I have fond memories of Cornwall (or was exposed to too much Poldark while wooing my wife.) Take the poem for a spin. It's cheaper than airfare and a B&B.

Take the time to read all three of annaswirls poems submitted yesterday. I had not played this stupid game is a nicely ambiguous bit of relationship babble with the charming lines ...
Did you even notice two weeks ago
I stopped sucking your cock?
... grabbing our attention just when it might be waning.

I Get Weak pulls the same trick with the single word "aspic". People often complain about one word lines in poems. Anna dares us with four successive one letter lines to be critical, (and maybe mutter about creeping concretism) but your humble reviewer is above such things.

Clemency is just plain disturbing. Don't miss it.

I enjoyed The Man Who Wasn't There by Middleagepoet. It's a dreaded Onegin Stanza but you don't even notice the form. I can't say the same about his other poem, Uncle's Bozo Pillow. I read it a half dozen times because I liked the imagery, but squeezing it into a Tritina was a mistake imho.

Whew, I'm done for yesterday. Enjoy.

Wednesday's Recommendations

New Poems

Pyromancy -
Submitted by pushkine (Non-Erotic Poetry) 04/01/09

This was a difficult trigger, but he pulled it off. I had to look up a word that I thought I knew, but was not sure:
mawk·ish (môksh)
adj.
1. Excessively and objectionably sentimental.
2. Sickening or insipid in taste.
and this term does, in a way, capture the whole poem.

The title, in my humble opinion, does not really match the poem, but I could be missing something.

pyromancy - divination by fire or flames
fortune telling, soothsaying, foretelling, divination - the art or gift of prophecy (or the pretense of prophecy) by supernatural means

An Inconvenient Truth -
Submitted by Tristesse2 (Non-Erotic Poetry) 04/01/09

Tess was the first of many people to welcome me to Literotica, sending me a pm saying "Turn on your comments and come to the forum." Of course, in a much more classy way. But that is not why her writing holds a special place in my heart. It is because of her class, her style, her sophisticated voice even when writing about something harsh or unpleasant, or in today's case, totally embarrassing! Check it out, it is a very funny poem.

I Wanted to Whisper -
Submitted by Curiouswife (Non-Erotic Poetry) 04/01/09
I always rush to read this lady's offerings. I am thinking she needs a chapbook, certainly she has enough poems to make a collection on the theme of sneaking around and the cost of such....the cost and the rewards.

Dive -
Submitted by hmmnmm (Erotic Poetry) 04/01/09

bizarre party time under the sea, I am not sure if this poem had aspirations other than a whacky description, I could not figure out any underlying meaning or message. Funky wording, interesting read.

Here come the concrete Earth Day Poems.
EroticOrogeny dives to the ocean depths to give a visual lesson on subduction...clever
Ocean Crust Lifecycle -
Submitted by EroticOrogeny (Non-Erotic Poetry) 04/01/09

this reminds me of an earth day poster you might order from Scholastic to hang on a classroom wall. I do not mean this as an insult, I think that was his intention. sun Recycle reduce reuse -
Submitted by Middleagepoet (Non-Erotic Poetry) 04/01/09

There you have it, my recommendation, for what it's worth.

Now if anyone can help me in figuring out how to keep a 1 year old from climbing every potential perch, no matter how precarious.... I would really appreciate it. The other day he climbed up his tricycle and was standing on the handlebars!!!!!

He hasn't fallen yet, but I fear an ER visit would be in order....I am too old for this...

Friday & Saturday

There were new poems today and yesterday. Go look if you don't believe me!

I will briefly touch on Friday, because I'm a giver like that. :p

Do I really have to say anything about Anna's The Night Wears A Sombrero? I mean, really, do I even need to say ANYTHING when Anna submits? Good lord. Granted, I have read other of her poems which knocked me back better than this, but it's still a breath of air. The happy kind!

I love good beginnings, and this has a good beginning.

The night wears a sombrero
I wear considerably less

Is bound to stick to something in your noggin. Like oatmeal.
Boots also have nipples (and wings) in this poem. Which I think is revelatory.
Most of all it possesses a sense of place. Which can be very difficult to achieve, and I think she did it. She scored the goal. Suck it, Beckham. (Where is this stuff coming from, I mean, really?)

We've also been given another of Cal's poems, entitled Wicked Eve And Other Poems. This submission is missing the distant kick of brilliant oddity that is usually embedded in Cal's work. I can say honestly I don't know what, if anything, is going on with people (who shall all remain nameless :D), but I will say that from a poetry perspective, the first and second smell of drama, though the second does contain what I think is the best writing in the whole piece:

When we die,
Someone, somewhere,
Will bury us alive,
Cover us with sod,
That flowers might grow,
And all might seem well
Above, if, below,
Ears and lips and eyes
Are lost to time and the worms
Of gnawing nothingness.

The second stanza sort of strikes me the same way as The Apostles' Creed (sorry), but the prayerful derivative doesn't really do it any favors, though that technique can be awesome sometimes.
Second Death is rather pirhana-ish, which is cool, but all in all, Cal is capable of much better.

And for Saturday's offerings...

I'm just gonna start right off with the one that made me happiest, and that was Annie's Reach High. The rhymes were excellent, it made me smile something fierce, and I simply HAD to read it aloud. I like poems where it becomes apparent more quickly than perfunctorily that you just ought to be reading them aloud. Wonderful work, lovey.

The piece that really knocked me on my ass, though, was Ramona's Hit Me, a "dark rewrite" (in Ramona's words) of Chris Brown's "With You". I know Ramona has a gift with this sort of thing and does it regularly, but this one was really stunning and I was incredibly impressed with the smartness of it. To take something so very in all of our faces right now (the charges brought against Brown for abusing Rihanna, his girlfriend) and turn it around like that. On the one hand someone could look at it and say, "Oh, that's just pop culture. Whatever." But when you really think about it, this is a young girl who's been abused by her boyfriend, and she has decided to go back to him. It's not so far away from stuff we've all seen in our own lives. That kind of weird hurt which induces people to keep digging their familiar trenches. So I was especially impressed that Ramona not only thought to create this, but did it so well.

I also think I Am Me... by Skye_Santos deserves a mention, if for no other reason than the sentiment is true. I think Skye has promise, but would benefit from thinking a little harder about not reaching for obvious examples. She is her own person; we can appreciate her, but it's difficult when the descriptors are vague. By that I mean we don't really get to know Skye in this poem. She lays claim to flaws and silly smiles and pain and tears, and that through all of that she is herself, but by the end we're still on the outside of who that is. I'm not saying every poem has to be expositional and read like an in-depth Barbara Walters interview, but I just want to make it clear that reaching for the words that come SO easily might not always be the best idea. Dig a little; make them yours, make them true.
My favorite lines were these:

I am me, with all my soul.
With all the emotions wrapped up within a silly piece of skin.

They really made the poem for me. These two lines tell me more about her than the whole rest of the poem combined. The image is great and I was struck by it. Even tonight, I was reflecting on how odd it is that so much feeling can be contained inside these small, unwieldy vessels we call bodies. Utterly amazing. I think she captured that admirably (and I hope she doesn't want to kick my ass for saying these things, should she happen along...).

Good job, everyone. Keep submitting. :)

Last edited:
Sunday Recommendations

There are 9 new poems today.

Inflatable Engagement by Middleagepoet gave me quite a giggle for it's substance while it fought against the tight coinstaints of a demanding form.

Missing from my life by BabyGirlPrecious is a very graphically descriptive poet of lust and wanting. It's well worth a read if you're in the mood for some naughtiness.

The man who wasn't there by lilygurl678 is descriptive poetry at it's best.

I called out to him in the quiet shadows.
My dewy face seemed pale, sunken, shallow.
I felt cold, hollow, in that pitch nothing.​

It starts stronger than it finishes but is well worht the time to read through and decipher.

There are a few more decent reads, but those above are my pics for best submissions.

Thanks for taking on Friday! Do we need a permanent replacement? I thought Johnny Depp was supposed to do it. Or Mia Farrow. I can't remember

Thank you for your kind kind compliments. You do not need to say anything about my poems, but I am really really glad you do. I look forward to your reviews every week. You rock.

Um, which Beckham and what do you want him/her to suck?

Do I really have to say anything about Anna's The Night Wears A Sombrero? I mean, really, do I even need to say ANYTHING when Anna submits? Good lord. Granted, I have read other of her poems which knocked me back better than this, but it's still a breath of air. The happy kind!

I wear considerably less

Most of all it possesses a sense of place. Which can be very difficult to achieve, and I think she did it. She scored the goal. Suck it, Beckham. (Where is this stuff coming from, I mean, really?)

Here is where it all comes from:

ostrichskinboots.jpg

Thanks for taking on Friday! Do we need a permanent replacement? I thought Johnny Depp was supposed to do it. Or Mia Farrow. I can't remember

Thank you for your kind kind compliments. You do not need to say anything about my poems, but I am really really glad you do. I look forward to your reviews every week. You rock.

Um, which Beckham and what do you want him/her to suck?

Here is where it all comes from:

ostrichskinboots.jpg
Johnny Depp is too busy having creative intercourse with Tim Burton and Mia Farrow has too many kids. I've been attempting to talk dearest Tim into doing it again. Friday just feels right as his to me, but it's not my decision.

I meant David and I wanted him to suck it because you made the goal and won the game. Which was an obtuse soccer reference. See, it was late...

Ostrich skin boots. You are The Stuff, Ms. Swirlz.

There were new poems today and yesterday. Go look if you don't believe me!

I wear considerably less

We've also been given another of Cal's poems, entitled Wicked Eve And Other Poems. This submission is missing the distant kick of brilliant oddity that is usually embedded in Cal's work. I can say honestly I don't know what, if anything, is going on with people (who shall all remain nameless :D), but I will say that from a poetry perspective, the first and second smell of drama, though the second does contain what I think is the best writing in the whole piece:

When we die,
Someone, somewhere,
Will bury us alive,
Cover us with sod,
That flowers might grow,
And all might seem well
Above, if, below,
Ears and lips and eyes
Are lost to time and the worms
Of gnawing nothingness.

The second stanza sort of strikes me the same way as The Apostles' Creed (sorry), but the prayerful derivative doesn't really do it any favors, though that technique can be awesome sometimes.
Second Death is rather pirhana-ish, which is cool, but all in all, Cal is capable of much better.

And for Saturday's offerings...

I'm just gonna start right off with the one that made me happiest, and that was Annie's Reach High. The rhymes were excellent, it made me smile something fierce, and I simply HAD to read it aloud. I like poems where it becomes apparent more quickly than perfunctorily that you just ought to be reading them aloud. Wonderful work, lovey.

The piece that really knocked me on my ass, though, was Ramona's Hit Me, a "dark rewrite" (in Ramona's words) of Chris Brown's "With You". I know Ramona has a gift with this sort of thing and does it regularly, but this one was really stunning and I was incredibly impressed with the smartness of it. To take something so very in all of our faces right now (the charges brought against Brown for abusing Rihanna, his girlfriend) and turn it around like that. On the one hand someone could look at it and say, "Oh, that's just pop culture. Whatever." But when you really think about it, this is a young girl who's been abused by her boyfriend, and she has decided to go back to him. It's not so far away from stuff we've all seen in our own lives. That kind of weird hurt which induces people to keep digging their familiar trenches. So I was especially impressed that Ramona not only thought to create this, but did it so well.

I also think I Am Me... by Skye_Santos deserves a mention, if for no other reason than the sentiment is true. I think Skye has promise, but would benefit from thinking a little harder about not reaching for obvious examples. She is her own person; we can appreciate her, but it's difficult when the descriptors are vague. By that I mean we don't really get to know Skye in this poem. She lays claim to flaws and silly smiles and pain and tears, and that through all of that she is herself, but by the end we're still on the outside of who that is. I'm not saying every poem has to be expositional and read like an in-depth Barbara Walters interview, but I just want to make it clear that reaching for the words that come SO easily might not always be the best idea. Dig a little; make them yours, make them true.
My favorite lines were these:

I am me, with all my soul.
With all the emotions wrapped up within a silly piece of skin.

They really made the poem for me. These two lines tell me more about her than the whole rest of the poem combined. The image is great and I was struck by it. Even tonight, I was reflecting on how odd it is that so much feeling can be contained inside these small, unwieldy vessels we call bodies. Utterly amazing. I think she captured that admirably (and I hope she doesn't want to kick my ass for saying these things, should she happen along...).

Good job, everyone. Keep submitting. :)

*smile*

Thanks for the comment on my Chris Brown piece. I almost gave up on putting the whole thing together twice. It was really tough coming up with the right things to say.

That's why I am so pleased that someone took notice of it. Makes my hard work well worth the effort.

Monday, April 06, 2009

There are 16 new poems today. I think. After only 3 hours of sleep last night, I can't be sure of anything today.

I'm attempting to read some before I crash. Maybe it is the simplicity of it, but I enjoyed Soured by greenmountaineer. Which brings up the point that not only do individual preferences vary, but a person's tastes often vary depending on mood and the person's circumstances. Today, I enjoy this poem and its cynical, simple message. Other days, I may have passed it by.

Damn. I just saw that Soured is from yesterday's poems. Being exhausted really sucks. Okay, let me try to find something from today's poems.

Good. There's a short, creative erotic poem by UYS called Secret pleasure. Nicely done!

Sorry, folks. That's honestly all I can do right now. I am not even going to attempt to tackle any wordy poems. I'd probably fall asleep about halfway through reading them. So, feel free to point out any that you enjoyed from today's offering.

*smile*

Thanks for the comment on my Chris Brown piece. I almost gave up on putting the whole thing together twice. It was really tough coming up with the right things to say.

That's why I am so pleased that someone took notice of it. Makes my hard work well worth the effort.
I could tell you worked hard on it and I wasn't kidding: I'm impressed!
I'm so glad you stuck with it. :rose:

It's Tuesday again and I'm on the road so this will be a quickie. No foreplay. No tender post-coitals.

Eleven new poems by my count and I read them all quickly. Not a clanger among them so you read them all too.

Today seems to be pushkine day. He has four offerings. All very witty and easily washed down with your morning coffee.

Finish off with Sadean, if you enjoy a little foreign tongue.

Gotta run. I may be back but it may be very late ...

I could tell you worked hard on it and I wasn't kidding: I'm impressed!
I'm so glad you stuck with it. :rose:

*smile*

Thanks again. I'm glad it came out as well as it did. I was working through a bad case of writer's block and really had a time with this one.

I'm very grateful for the comment. It always helps to get feedback.

yes 2 am New Poem reviews

Here we go:

I am not sure I am a good person for this job because WTF this is "literotica" and I just cannot get into the sex stuff on here. Maybe I am jaded. Maybe we need to recruit some of the in and outters that post their sex poetry to do a recommendation too! Or someone who is new to reading moan and stiff and pussy licking cock worship whip my ass etc. I do not like leaving them out, but I just cannot pretend to enjoy it when I don't.

I can't fake poetic orgasms.:(

but I can always count on Cal to give me a good read.

Before Aphrodite and Other Poems
by Cal Y. Pygia©

Ah this one just cracked me up: Go check it out and the others Cal has up today:

MOTOR CITY

Once sex-reassignment surgery
Is performed on assembly lines,
The newness shall wear off
Of transsexuals, and everyone
Who wants one shall have one,
In any color, as long as it's black.

ah that new transexual smell.... wish they could bottle it. Wait, maybe they do

Pushkine is almost done round 1 of Survivor. Or is he already?

Riddle
by pushkine©

I'm last removed, for I'm a tease.
When crotchless, I've a touch of sleaze.

Show us how to do it, Pushkie!!!

Here is a shortie that will make you smile:
April Fools
by Middleagepoet©

Another poet nearing the finish line:
Rubble
by UnderYourSpell©

This garden is haunted

I like UYS's use of sounds in this poem. Awesome use of alliteration, and selection of words that have meaning in their sound as well as their literal meaning.... words like scurry and cragged. Word choice is very important in poetry where every word must hold as much as it can. Nicely done.

okay back to bed

Last edited:
This afternoon, four illustrated poems showed up in the new poems in that quixotic way that illustrateds do. All four have significant appeal, so go read 'em all and leave a comment while you're at it.

But what the hey. I'm obnoxious, so let me tell you 'bout them anyway:
  • Dark Clouds of Mystery by Tristesse2 features a NASA photo that looks kind of like a shot of a very shallow pond. Murky and unfocused, this is apparently, as the poem explains, cosmic gas and dust.

Worth a read, as Ms. T. always is.
  • annaswirls' Mauna Kea Sky is another NASA photo, combined with an elegant little "haikuesque" poem.

Geez, there's a lot of stars in the sky. :rolleyes:

Anna's other illustrated poem, On Reihman Road is probably the best poem of these, a well-constructed rondeau that melds well with the illustration. My favorite of the four.

(Note to Ms. A.: Comments are off on this poem, m'dear. I assume you did not intend that.)
  • Then there's wings touch by champagne1982, a poem so slender as to almost not be poem.

Yet it is just enough, especially when combined with the illustration. Suggestive? Perhaps I just think on certain topics too much.

Which I do. Especially that topic.

Read it yourself, people.
Bye, y'all. :)

Thanks for jumping in! They were not there in the middle of the night when I was up reviewing! :D

This afternoon, four illustrated poems showed up in the new poems in that quixotic way that illustrateds do. All four have significant appeal, so go read 'em all and leave a comment while you're at it.

Last edited:
If someone will please cover Thursday's poems for me, I'd appreciate it.

Well, no one covered Thursday's poems, you tribe of slobbering monkeys.

hmmnmm's Jack is simply a great read.
Excerpt:
Someday
they will
be found,
be pieced
be put in
bee museums,
be put on display, but
they still be
bee spill,

----------------------------

Wow, I want to see baby pictures of dictators! Read Tristesse2's Baby Pictures of Famous Dictators.
Fantastic beginning lines:
There are albums, yellowed by the ages,
lovingly amassed, anchored, leafed through
with affection for the villains the mothers never knew,

This is not a review, fer gawd's sake. Merely some minor (as the title of the thread says) recommendation.

I liked annaswirls' Charades today. Not a great poem, not even perhaps even a good poem.

But an honest one, which counts for lots.

And it has some wonderful lines in it, like:
a box of brunette waits
to hide my gray,​
which are very good.

So, like, read it.

Read all the rest, too. I mean, I did, and you're clever too.

Find something you want to talk about, Bucky. It's not rocket science. :)

Battō�jutsu
by pushkine©

This entire poem is a classy tale of the involuntary reaction of a man and his "pesky anatomy" as one commenter stated. Classy until the last line, which made me cringe as "beaten" is used in reference to what I am guessing, masturbation. Perhaps I am a prude, but I think the ending had a tone much more crude than the rest of the poem.

Having said that, I don't care, it is still a well crafted, intelligent and enjoyable poem.

What is up with the character inbetween Batto and jutsu? How did you do that?

Looks like he is in Round Two!!! Congratulations!! Where is the party?

Back