Movies!

I watched Frances Ha yesterday and really enjoyed it. It was a perfect ex tempore pick for a lazy Saturday.

I was a bit afraid it'd be too navel-gaze-y like Girls, but it wasn't.

I have watched this with moments of great enthusiasm of late.

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings

Vikings is a Canadian-Irish historical drama television series, written and created by Michael Hirst for the television channel History.[1] It premiered on March 3, 2013 in the United States and Canada.

Filmed in Ireland, Vikings is inspired by the tales about the Viking Ragnar Lodbrok, one of the best-known Norse heroes and notorious as the scourge of France and England. It portrays Ragnar as a Viking farmer who pioneers the first daring raids into England with the support of fellow warriors, his brother Rollo, and his wife, the shieldmaiden Lagertha.

The series is inspired by the tales of the raiding, trading, and exploring Norsemen of early medieval Scandinavia. It follows the exploits of the legendary Viking chieftain Ragnar Lodbrok and his crew and family.

Not sure, but the website is there, and they have some video to allow you to view some of it.

Glad you enjoyed it!

:rose:

I watched Frances Ha yesterday and really enjoyed it. It was a perfect ex tempore pick for a lazy Saturday.

I was a bit afraid it'd be too navel-gaze-y like Girls, but it wasn't.

Sounds fun.

I have watched this with moments of great enthusiasm of late.

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings

Vikings is a Canadian-Irish historical drama television series, written and created by Michael Hirst for the television channel History.[1] It premiered on March 3, 2013 in the United States and Canada.

Filmed in Ireland, Vikings is inspired by the tales about the Viking Ragnar Lodbrok, one of the best-known Norse heroes and notorious as the scourge of France and England. It portrays Ragnar as a Viking farmer who pioneers the first daring raids into England with the support of fellow warriors, his brother Rollo, and his wife, the shieldmaiden Lagertha.

The series is inspired by the tales of the raiding, trading, and exploring Norsemen of early medieval Scandinavia. It follows the exploits of the legendary Viking chieftain Ragnar Lodbrok and his crew and family.

Anyone seen "In Bruges"? I loved that movie. Great movie by Martin McDonagh. Loved his plays as well. Not a big fan of the recent "7 Psychopaths".

I finally watched Before Midnight today and I loved it. It was very different from the two previous ones, but good nevertheless.

I have similar mixed feelings like I had after the second movie. I want to see more of Jesse's and Celine's life, so I'm hoping there will be a new installment to the series in 10 years. But at the same time the ending was so good and open for so many possibilities, that I don't think there should be a new movie that would reveal "what really happened".

I don't think there's gonna be a fourth movie to the series, thou.

Glad you enjoyed it.

My son wanted me to watch Sinister yesterday. It was just okay for me. He loves it.

Also watched Detention which isn't as funny as the people who made it thought it was. It had some good moments.

Next I watched episodes 3, 4 and 5 of season one Game of Thornes. I'm starting to care a tiny bit about the show now but only at the end of the fifth episode.

I finally watched Before Midnight today and I loved it. It was very different from the two previous ones, but good nevertheless.

I have similar mixed feelings like I had after the second movie. I want to see more of Jesse's and Celine's life, so I'm hoping there will be a new installment to the series in 10 years. But at the same time the ending was so good and open for so many possibilities, that I don't think there should be a new movie that would reveal "what really happened".

I don't think there's gonna be a fourth movie to the series, thou.

Watched Behind the Candelabra today. I have to say Micheal Douglas, infamous cheater that he is, did a great job with Liberace's accent. That couldn't have been easy. Matt Damon also did a good job. The make up people should win awards.

John Dies at the End made no better a movie than it did a book. I had hoped for more cohesiveness but all the most clever lines were lost.

Dark Skies wasn't what I expected, it was just okay and less about alliens than I thought it would be.

Vamps was very cute. I really enjoyed it.

The Possession was okay. Hopefully it won't give me nightmares.

After Earth was just okay. I can see why it got panned a bit.

Vamps was really fun! Love it!

So, I finally got to watch I Am Curious (Yellow). Initially I'd recorded it out of curiosity as I'd seen it originally not long after it came out in 1967. I couldn't remember much about it, especially not why it had a reputation for showing "scandalous sex." In fact, it's shot in very much a documentary style and while there's a certain amount of nudity and sex, the camera doesn't linger on the bodies as is (and was in the 60s and 70s) common in Hollywood films. Much of the nudity appears in medium length shots and is shown very matter-of-factly. The story and method intrigued me more than I recall, but then I've seen a lot more well-made movies since I was in high school so my tastes have evolved. I strongly recommend it as an important milestone in the evolution of the ways that movies depict sex.

Also saw Capote. Wow! Phillip Seymour Hoffman's performance was stunning and the movie was extraordinarily powerful. I had not known that Harper Lee, who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird, had been his next-door neighbor when he was a child and she helped him with his research for In Cold Blood. That research and the writing of the book makes up nearly all of the movie. Now I've pulled out an unread biography of Lee to read soon. It takes a bit of a resolve to get through this movie, but it's well worth the effort.

These two movies sound interesting.

So, I finally got to watch I Am Curious (Yellow). Initially I'd recorded it out of curiosity as I'd seen it originally not long after it came out in 1967. I couldn't remember much about it, especially not why it had a reputation for showing "scandalous sex." In fact, it's shot in very much a documentary style and while there's a certain amount of nudity and sex, the camera doesn't linger on the bodies as is (and was in the 60s and 70s) common in Hollywood films. Much of the nudity appears in medium length shots and is shown very matter-of-factly. The story and method intrigued me more than I recall, but then I've seen a lot more well-made movies since I was in high school so my tastes have evolved. I strongly recommend it as an important milestone in the evolution of the ways that movies depict sex.

Also saw Capote. Wow! Phillip Seymour Hoffman's performance was stunning and the movie was extraordinarily powerful. I had not known that Harper Lee, who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird, had been his next-door neighbor when he was a child and she helped him with his research for In Cold Blood. That research and the writing of the book makes up nearly all of the movie. Now I've pulled out an unread biography of Lee to read soon. It takes a bit of a resolve to get through this movie, but it's well worth the effort.

Glad you enjoyed it!

I got to disk three of season one of Game of Thrones. Only to find out after waiting for the damn thing to load there was only one epi on it. WTH!

Last night I watched The Call. A good movie, loved the ending.

Most recent adventure in movieland: Nights of Cabiria, directed by Federico Fellini. Starring his wife, Giuletta Massina. Cabiria is a waifish prostitute who seems to get attached to men but without much reward but heartache. The film won at Cannes as well as the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film. I wasn't sure what to expect but had read so many glowing reviews I wanted to see it for myself. The movie is featured in the 15-series history of film directed by Mark Cousins that's being featured on TCM, though I haven't caught up to this episode to see what Cousins has to say about it. Certainly it's one of those movies that one should watch in order to appreciate world cinema and Fellini in particular.

Stellllllllll-ahhhhh!

Night before last (?), I fired up the TV, went immediately to AMC, just to see what may've been on at the time, and the opening credits were rolling for, "A Streetcar Named Desire", by Elia Kazan. My curiosity was immediately satisfied, and I sat back, forgot about anything else I may've had planned for the next 122 minutes, and got lost in the intensity of everything about that film. Being a "New Orleanian", and a longtime resident of the "French Quarter", as well as a "fan" of both Elia Kazan and Tenessee Williams, this is a film that is almost "required viewing" for quite a few of us, on a sort of annual basis. My timing was perfect, although the ending always leaves a bit of a "black and white" (grey) pall over my mood at the end. Fortunately, even with the overly exaggerated sets, that Tennessee Williams had nothing to do with, it's "interesting" to see a taste of the "drama" that plays out in this "oldest" of the neighborhoods, here.

Night before last (?), I fired up the TV, went immediately to AMC, just to see what may've been on at the time, and the opening credits were rolling for, "A Streetcar Named Desire", by Elia Kazan. My curiosity was immediately satisfied, and I sat back, forgot about anything else I may've had planned for the next 122 minutes, and got lost in the intensity of everything about that film. Being a "New Orleanian", and a longtime resident of the "French Quarter", as well as a "fan" of both Elia Kazan and Tenessee Williams, this is a film that is almost "required viewing" for quite a few of us, on a sort of annual basis. My timing was perfect, although the ending always leaves a bit of a "black and white" (grey) pall over my mood at the end. Fortunately, even with the overly exaggerated sets, that Tennessee Williams had nothing to do with, it's "interesting" to see a taste of the "drama" that plays out in this "oldest" of the neighborhoods, here.

Streetcar is, indeed, great stuff.

Indeed, a great film! I've seen Phillip Seymour Hoffman in other movies but I thought his outstanding performance was what made Capote so phenomenal.

Back