Movies!

Interesting! Can't wait to hear more!

It’s really long. It covers an entire week of what the library has to offer and each day section is about 30 mins long. So it’s a beast for sure.

Sometimes the camera is simply left rolling during a board meeting or a concert, sometimes you see and hear poetry, get to participate in lectures, see what school kids do there. Nothing is narrated, the takes are often very long. It feels like you’re spying on the discussions and the events you witness.

I enjoyed it a lot, but it’s not a style everybody enjoys. And it is really long. But because it’s so neatly divided into days, you can watch it installments. It’s by Frederick Wiseman, and all his stuff is like that. Slow, long, meditative, lets the story unfold before your eyes seemingly without offering too much commentary. Except of course the documentary itself already is a commentary - he’s made the decision to show some things and leave others out. I like his stuff a lot.

Last edited:
Okay, what does the room feel about the Academy Awards results? I didn't watch the ceremony and I have only seen one of the films that got a best-picture nomination (The Trial of the Chicago Seven) so I'm ill-equipped to offer much in the way of opinion but I'm curious about what others think.

Okay, what does the room feel about the Academy Awards results? I didn't watch the ceremony and I have only seen one of the films that got a best-picture nomination (The Trial of the Chicago Seven) so I'm ill-equipped to offer much in the way of opinion but I'm curious about what others think.

The only ones I’ve seen of the winners or the nominees in any category are The Mole Agent, Tenet and Another Round. I didn’t particularly care for Tenet but the other two I liked a lot.

Haven’t seen any of them, so not much to say about it.
I do like Olivia Colman and one of the few things I had heard about it was that she was nominated, but I saw now that she didn’t win.

Went through The Santa Claria Diet and now doing Torchwood.
What do you think about Torchwood? I’ve been thinking of watching it, but I’m a bit fond of Captain Harkness. Don’t want to ruin that.

I watched Gas, Inspector Palmu! as one of my movie challenge movies.

It's from 1961 and it was my favorite movie as a kid. I was obsessed with all things detective and this very comedic detective movie was something that I loved watching. Not so long ago my mom found a notebook where me and my best friend at the time had interviewed each other and kept notes at the ripe age of 7. One of the questions we had asked each other was about our favorite movies. Hers was The Little Mermaid, mine was Gas, Inspector Palmu. :D

I hadn't seen it in well over 20 years until now and was surprised by how good the movie actually was. Some pretty decent cinematography, lots of weird humor that I definitely didn't get as a kid, fun story. The story is based on a book by Mika Waltari, one of our better known and successful writers.

Ski Party, a completely ridiculous and fun movie from 1965. One of those movies, where people dance in the funny 60s fashion all the time no matter what. Ah, this was a great way to get my mood to weekend mode. :D

It was my movie #23 out of 50 in my library's 2021 movie challenge, movie with winter sports.

Ski Party, a completely ridiculous and fun movie from 1965. One of those movies, where people dance in the funny 60s fashion all the time no matter what. Ah, this was a great way to get my mood to weekend mode. :D

It was my movie #23 out of 50 in my library's 2021 movie challenge, movie with winter sports.

And in the same vein... Pajama Party. Even more ridiculous (and hella racist :() than Ski Party. The same funny dance moves, though.

Ja, ja, ja!

I went to see Dune today and it was so much better than I expected. Visually stunning, the audio was often very spot on. It didn't feel nearly as long as the time stamp says it is, which is something I was worried about going in.

I don't remember the books that well, maybe luckily, so I don't know how true to the book the movie was. I was entertained, all's good. :)

Another movie challenge movie.

Night on Earth by Jim Jarmusch from 1991. An anthology film of five separate stories featuring cab drivers in five cities during one night. Disjointed as was to be expected, because the stories were separate, only tied together by the cabs and smoking. Winona Ryder was so good, definitely the standout role of the movie.

One episode took place in Helsinki and that was both fun and majorly awkward. It was so clear that the writing hadn't been done by a Finn, and the script would have benefitted a lot from some localization. It had some tiny, but very jarring details that just left me feeling 'huh'. Like saying a baby was wrinkly like a peanut. Yeah, no - basically all the peanuts you can buy here are all shelled, not a wrinkle in sight, so something like that just sticks out, it doesn't feel natural in the Helsinki context. Sadly the translator hadn't done a very good job with the script, or maybe Jarmusch didn't want his work tinkered with, I don't know.

Would be interesting to know if the Italian and French parts of the movie suffered from the same problem.

I loved spotting the places they were driving through in Helsinki, though. :)

It had some tiny, but very jarring details that just left me feeling 'huh'. Like saying a baby was wrinkly like a peanut. Yeah, no - basically all the peanuts you can buy here are all shelled, not a wrinkle in sight, so something like that just sticks out, it doesn't feel natural in the Helsinki context. Sadly the translator hadn't done a very good job with the script, or maybe Jarmusch didn't want his work tinkered with, I don't know.

Huh. Even in English, I'd expect "wrinkly like a walnut" there.

I’d expect raisins.

And this train of thought from nuts to raisins made me long for swedish glögg. :rolleyes:
Raisins, yes.

It was a really shitty Monday at work and I’m only now going home. I’ll go get some glögg. That should get me all cozy in no time. Thanks for the idea!

Has anyone watched Squid Game?

Last edited:
I’d expect raisins.

And this train of thought from nuts to raisins made me long for swedish glögg. :rolleyes:

Raisins would fit too, probably more common. But when people do use nuts for wrinkly, I'm used to it being walnuts.

Somebody (Clive James?) described Schwarzenegger in his body-building days as "looking like a condom stuffed with walnuts".

Raisins, yes.

It was a really shitty Monday at work and I’m only now going home. I’ll go get some glögg. That should get me all cozy in no time. Thanks for the idea!

Not yet. The kids are talking about it so might watch some with them.

We did just watch The Chestnut Man and liked it.
And after having read wath Bramblethorne wrote I will have to call Mr Schwarzenegger The Walnut Man.:D

Raisins, yes.

Hi, yes, recently finished watching the whole season. Fascinating show!

Introducing a younger friend to some of our collection, partly as an excuse to re-watch them myself.

Recently: Galaxy Quest, Heartbreakers (comedy about a mother-and-daughter con team).

Next on our schedule:
labyrinth.gif

I went to see The Father. It was excellent, but serious, heavy, hard.

It was so interestingly made - you could really get inside the main character's head and experience the world like he did. What's real, what's not, who can you trust, time loses significance... It was gut-wrenching to see the world deteriorate further and further, but the film was just so good, well acted, well made that I absolutely loved it. The sound track was great.

Made me dread things to come, though...

Jeanne Dielman is a classic I had never seen. It’s a movie about a Belgian single mother from the 70’s where nothing happens but where something happens all the time.

Mostly it’s about Jeanne cooking, cleaning and running errands, but also about her side(?) business. It was absolutely hypnotic to watch her do all the mundane things. The very last scene was just her sitting and it was perfect, it showed such a range of emotions.

I don’t even know what to say about it, other than wow. It’s not an action packed and heavily plot driven movie by a long shot, but seeing the small, repetitious things captured in close detail told me a lot about the person and the world she lives in. It’s really long, but at the same time I don’t know how to make it shorter and what to take out and still keep the impact of us learning the routines, which is key for the movie.

Utterly fascinating, easily one of the most memorable movies I’ve ever seen.

Finally got to see Dune.
I was worried that I’d be disappointed but I loved it.
Daughter liked it too. Yay!

I loved it and look forward to the second!
Me too. I’m a bit anxious something will get in the way of it.

I assume you mean the recently made movie w/Momoa in it?

Yup, have already seen the old version. I’m not so sure I can get the daughter to watch that one with me. She is not a scifi fan generally. I have to thank Timothee Chalumet for the interest in the new one.

Not a movie, but the Netflix miniseries Clark about Clark Olofsson, the bank robber whose part in the Norrmalmstorg robbery was the origin of the term
”Stockholm syndrome”.
Youngest daughter first watched it, because of Bill Skarsgård and recommended it.
Well played and good if very non-clean fun and it’s been interesting to discuss with the kid who doesn’t know much of the true story (the subtitle is ”Based on truths and lies”).
Bill Skarsgård has met with the real Clark and gets the gestures and tone so right, it’s hilarious.

I finally saw Everything Everywhere All at Once and it was so good! I wish I could erase it from my head and watch it again for the first time.

Lots of laughs, but also lots of significance. And so many butt plugs!

Back