meanwhile in tennessee...

Canada has firearm laws, and low rates of firearm related incidents.

I myself have a total combination of 14 rifles/shotguns.

Yet when you look at the laws surrounding firearm ownership in Canada, they are not any more overtly intrusive than gaining a licence to drive a vehicle. ( they actually started laws way back in 1892 so maybe that is why Canadians don't get all uppity over them)

Even the restrictions on firearms are not much different than with automobiles. We have some sane laws regarding the type of vehicles that can legally be driven on our roadways, and we have sensible sane laws that dictate the types of operational firearms that may be owned by the general public.

You can't own functional automatic weapons, ( as well as some that are semi automatic) nor any type of weapon that has the ability to fire a projectile greater than 20mm in diameter. There are some limitations on magazine capacity, and other devises such as silencers, or bump stocks.

Yet overall, I have never found myself "limited" in my use or enjoyment of hunting, or target practice.

As for needing firearms for home defence...lol I don't even lock my doors, nor take keys out of my vehicles. But then again Canada is not a country that wraps itself in a blanket of fears.

( and yes in Canada you can own a tank...just thought I would throw that in here)

I took a quick look at Wiki for Canada gun laws, and I think the cultural difference is a major part of the gun discussion.

No suppressors, no barrels under 18 inches, no handguns with barrels under 4.1 inches, no concealed carry, magazine restrictions, etc. That is a huge difference, I think you'll agree.

You've never found yourself limited, which is great, but you might understand when someone who does not have a lot of those restrictions would feel limited if it were suggested they be imposed, for what a majority of people think of as no good reason?

I don't mean to imply loss of life is no good reason, I mean to say the feel-good laws that even the left admits on occasion wouldn't have stopped the tragedy that inspired the laws in the first place?

As for discussing fears, when several houses up the street from you get broken into, and even if the thugs are caught, they will get little/no punishment and released, does locking your door and taking your keys out of your car constitute fear?

You live in a peaceful environment. Enjoy it. Actually, I do too, but I moved from a place that was not. This country has home invasions, assaults, rapes, robberies and so on. The thugs are treated preferentially and the victims are not. To be asked to give up measures of defense to keep a crazy person from doing something seems irrational.

And until you do decide to deal with that "culture" be prepared for more of the same.

Remember if you are not trying to end these senseless killings, then you are part of the problem!!

(you is bolded for a reason)

And there is the fundamental difference that keeps the chasm between the two sides wide open, I don't believe the gun culture is the problem.

I believe the current culture is. Any attempt to focus on the actual source of the violence (thug-based, not insanity-based) is deemed racist. Like so many other things. The criminals are not punished, there is no deterrence, it is as simple as that.

Look at the 'peaceful protests'. Shots fired at a police station, rocks thrown, fires set. Like the last year. Reasons don't seem to matter, looting and rioting is what they do. Suggest we stop it? Called a racist.

So the cities burn.

I took a quick look at Wiki for Canada gun laws, and I think the cultural difference is a major part of the gun discussion.

Yes, that is a major difference between the two countries. In the US, due to the second amendment, it has become a "culture".

The question is, how do you turn that culture around?

You go to great lengths to point out the difference in regulations, and at the same time make those differences as objectionable if one was to lose some of them.

You claim the majority of Americans would object to losing some of these freedoms ,but the polls I have seen, show the majority would favour increased regulations, and training.

You bring up a couple points on crime, but that is not the fear I mean.

When I say the US is a society of fear, I don't mean "fear of", but a country which knowingly promotes "fear."

Your politicians, education institutions,lobby groups, media, and rights organisations, (etc era) all wield fear as a rallying point. It is systemic in everything "American". It has gone and supplanted "exceptionalism" as your mantra.

So again, if you are not going to be part of the solution to resolve the problems the US faces with gun violence, then you are part of the problem.

Quit making up excuses, and come up with some solutions that might help cull the gun culture. Claiming to be law abiding is cute, but in the end, it is not helpful.

If left unchecked, I do feel that eventually that fear I see expressed by so many on this board about losing your guns, may actually come to pass.

Even though the 2nd amendment exists, it could go the way of the 18th.

Trust me on this one: If I were a problem, you'd know it.

How?

Oh wait, I see how, it is in most every post you make. From conspiracy nut, to gun nut.

I am not sure how you can't see yourself as part of the problem, but then again I doubt Busybody see's himself as racist.

One of life's hardest achievements is to look at oneself honestly.

How?

Oh wait, I see how, it is in most every post you make. From conspiracy nut, to gun nut.

I am not sure how you can't see yourself as part of the problem, but then again I doubt Busybody see's himself as racist.

Maybe you can explain how he is part of the problem ??

You know, make a case??? :D

How?

What "conspiracy" have I even mentioned, much less declared my belief in?

Yes, that is a major difference between the two countries. In the US, due to the second amendment, it has become a "culture".

The question is, how do you turn that culture around?

You go to great lengths to point out the difference in regulations, and at the same time make those differences as objectionable if one was to lose some of them.

You claim the majority of Americans would object to losing some of these freedoms ,but the polls I have seen, show the majority would favour increased regulations, and training.

You bring up a couple points on crime, but that is not the fear I mean.

When I say the US is a society of fear, I don't mean "fear of", but a country which knowingly promotes "fear."

Your politicians, education institutions,lobby groups, media, and rights organisations, (etc era) all wield fear as a rallying point. It is systemic in everything "American". It has gone and supplanted "exceptionalism" as your mantra.

So again, if you are not going to be part of the solution to resolve the problems the US faces with gun violence, then you are part of the problem.

Quit making up excuses, and come up with some solutions that might help cull the gun culture. Claiming to be law abiding is cute, but in the end, it is not helpful.

If left unchecked, I do feel that eventually that fear I see expressed by so many on this board about losing your guns, may actually come to pass.

Even though the 2nd amendment exists, it could go the way of the 18th.

I don't think the culture is the problem, so I don't want to turn it around. I want to stop the criminals. That is accomplished differently.

As for polls, well, if your polls are so accurate, why was almost nothing done this last time around regarding gun legislation, and why do politicians get voted out for supporting it? I would guess the polls are not that accurate.

Ah, I see. Yes, I totally agree, the U.S. has wielded fear like a club in almost every part of our culture, and it has gone past the critical point.

I see resolution as enforcing laws, prosecution of criminals and harsher sentences. But these must be carried out to be effective. The cities are incredibly lax on crime and punishment, and they are crime-ridden. This is a very easy step to accomplish that requires no extra legislation, merely overcoming the cities' inclinations to be soft on criminal behavior. What was your solution again?

I am not trying to cull the gun culture, that is what you seem to be attempting. I am trying to stop the violence. You want everyone to give up what, in many areas, is the only reliable method for defense, because some people misuse them and commit crimes. Why aren't you blaming the criminals for their actions?

There may be an attempt to disarm the country. Logistically they do not stand a chance at actually accomplishing it. That is not taking into account those that will not just simply refuse, but respond.

Just for a moment, recall the bedlam caused by one person waging war against a city, Dorner out in L.A., then multiply that by tens of thousands. That is something we should all strive to avoid.

(edited)

Just for a moment, recall the bedlam caused by one person waging war against a city, Dorner out in L.A., then multiply that by tens of thousands. That is something we should all strive to avoid.
This is you not wielding fear like a club?

white alienated ex-police officers showed up for the attack and invasion on Jan. 6th
In it for the money, many members of groups taking part in the rally and parade
were leaders, originated from minority communities. In it for the anarchy ?

Fucked over, one too many times by a racist system ?

examination of Christopher Dorner -

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21476904

This is you not wielding fear like a club?

This is me showing fear for what might happen, and fervently hoping it doesn't.

I hope everyone has noticed the people who decide what direction the country takes sit behind a wall with an armed force keeping them safe.

What "conspiracy" have I even mentioned, much less declared my belief in?

Well at least you are somewhat honest, and didn't claim not to be a gun nut.
That is something.

Now as to conspiracy theories, let us look at a couple posts on them shall we? (I am not wasting much time, your not worthy of it)
https://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=93672052&postcount=2

Now here is the conspiracy theory from a non American source to boot.
https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-49584157

https://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=93622424&postcount=65

As to the "deep state"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_state_in_the_United_States

Last but not least, if you have only this alt, and one you used a decade or so ago, and your join date for this alt is in 2020. How come you seem to know a bunch of users here who have only join in that period between your decade old unused alt, and this one?

https://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=93664173&postcount=44

Well at least you are somewhat honest, and didn't claim not to be a gun nut.
That is something.

Now as to conspiracy theories, let us look at a couple posts on them shall we? (I am not wasting much time, your not worthy of it)
https://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=93672052&postcount=2

Now here is the conspiracy theory from a non American source to boot.
https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-49584157

https://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=93622424&postcount=65

As to the "deep state"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_state_in_the_United_States

Last but not least, if you have only this alt, and one you used a decade or so ago, and your join date for this alt is in 2020. How come you seem to know a bunch of users here who have only join in that period between your decade old unused alt, and this one?

https://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=93664173&postcount=44

The Soros DAs are a fact, not a theory. It's why he backed them.

The Deep State is real, but it's not a conspiracy, anymore than a behive is a conspiracy. The bees don't go to the queen for instructions, they just do what they do in the interest of the hive. Ditto for bureaucrats.

The only posted I'm certain I remember is the English chap with the odd nick. He went by "Hobbit" back then. The rest are, as far as I'm concerned, new to me.

I don't think the culture is the problem, so I don't want to turn it around. I want to stop the criminals. That is accomplished differently.

A couple posts back you said it was the culture difference that seemed to be different between Canada's acceptance of sane and sensible firearm regulations, but now you have reversed yourself?

90% of past mass shooters since 2000 were not criminals until they opened fire, so how do you propose to stop "those" criminals?

As for polls, well, if your polls are so accurate, why was almost nothing done this last time around regarding gun legislation, and why do politicians get voted out for supporting it? I would guess the polls are not that accurate.

I can only tell you what any google or duckduckgo search on those polls will show. If you choose to disbelieve them, it is not me sticking my head in the sand, now is it?

Ah, I see. Yes, I totally agree, the U.S. has wielded fear like a club in almost every part of our culture, and it has gone past the critical point.

I see resolution as enforcing laws, prosecution of criminals and harsher sentences. But these must be carried out to be effective. The cities are incredibly lax on crime and punishment, and they are crime-ridden. This is a very easy step to accomplish that requires no extra legislation, merely overcoming the cities' inclinations to be soft on criminal behavior. What was your solution again?

I never said I had a solution, what I said was you are part of the problem, and not part of the solution. There is no firearm mass shooting problem in my country.

I am not trying to cull the gun culture, that is what you seem to be attempting. I am trying to stop the violence. You want everyone to give up what, in many areas, is the only reliable method for defense, because some people misuse them and commit crimes. Why aren't you blaming the criminals for their actions?

I know you are not trying to cull the gun culture,but that culture, which you first deny, then admit exists, in the same post by the way, is why I say you are part of the problem. Show me where I don't blame criminals? I also blame those who stand by and idly do nothing.

There may be an attempt to disarm the country. Logistically they do not stand a chance at actually accomplishing it. That is not taking into account those that will not just simply refuse, but respond.

Maybe so, not my country so it will be your problem, right? I am just pointing out the problem of inflexibility.

Sorry I am a Canadian, and this doesn't ring a bell, maybe it should, but the US has so many violent episodes I can't keep track.

A couple posts back you said it was the culture difference that seemed to be different between Canada's acceptance of sane and sensible firearm regulations, but now you have reversed yourself?

No, the culture difference between Canada and the U.S. is what keeps the U.S. from considering adopting Canadian-type restrictions. This time I referenced the U.S. gun culture as not being the problem of gun violence and not wanting to turn it around, I believe it is the criminals. Sorry for the confusion, I should have been more clear.

90% of past mass shooters since 2000 were not criminals until they opened fire, so how do you propose to stop "those" criminals?

If that is correct, then it is obvious more laws against how and what you can purchase won't accomplish anything. Focus on the why the person went over the edge, examine for commonalities and see where we can put any resources and find a way to look for danger signals and reach out for help now, before it is too late.

I can only tell you what any google or duckduckgo search on those polls will show. If you choose to disbelieve them, it is not me sticking my head in the sand, now is it?

I looked at about ten articles containing poll results, and there were results showing more people want gun control and results showing that number was lower than ever. I think it is hyped up more than ever, and given the lack of trust in the media, I don't take much at face value anymore.

I never said I had a solution, what I said was you are part of the problem, and not part of the solution. There is no firearm mass shooting problem in my country.

Didn't Canada have some wonk go nuts and kill a lot of people? Twenty or so dead, had several firearms 'somehow', last April or so? Admittedly not as bad a problem as down here, but I would think that many dead constituted a problem.

I know you are not trying to cull the gun culture,but that culture, which you first deny, then admit exists, in the same post by the way, is why I say you are part of the problem. Show me where I don't blame criminals? I also blame those who stand by and idly do nothing.

I've never denied there is a gun culture in the U.S., perhaps you misread it, given the confusion about my discussing U.S. culture and Canada's?

So you are saying because I am part of that culture, I am responsible for people doing criminal things? By that token, if you are not actively lobbying for banning of automobiles, you are part of the drunk-driving problem. Doesn't make much sense.

As for standing by and idly doing nothing to change how we deal with mental health issues in my country, a field in which I have no experience. What would you suggest?

Maybe so, not my country so it will be your problem, right? I am just pointing out the problem of inflexibility.

I agree that inflexibility can be a problem, more people should try to see the other side of the coin.

Sorry I am a Canadian, and this doesn't ring a bell, maybe it should, but the US has so many violent episodes I can't keep track.

Bodysong linked an article on it. Post 88.

Back