Let down by Mike Flanagan

EmilyMiller

Perv of the Impverse
It’s not the first time, of course. His two Stephen King collabs, Gerald’s Game and Doctor Sleep, were IMO poor.

But I like each of Hill House, Bly Manor (Jamie and Dani 😍) and Midnight Mass. Even The Midnight Club had its moments and I stuck it out to the end.

And I like Poe (maybe not his poetry so much). I’ve read all his short stories. You can maybe see the influence of his vocabulary in my work (if none of his genius).

So Flanagan and Poe? Exciting, right? I couldn’t have been more wrong. His worst work to date. I made it to episode four, hoping it would settle down into semi-coherence and even a slight amount of interest. And it didn’t. I think I fell asleep during episodes both Friday and Saturday.

It’s his last show under his Netflix contract, so maybe he was dialing it in. But just a mess and a boring mess. No tension. Not a shred of caring for ant character. And butchery of Poe’s stories.

One out of five stars. Wish it could be zero.

Em

Hmm. I rather enjoyed Doctor Sleep. Book and film.

That said, not sure how familiar I am with the rest of Mike Flanagans body of work.

I fully admit to being a little dense and possibly hungover, but are we discussing The Fall of the House of Usher?

Thanks for the heads up on House of Usher. We watched the first episode and were on the fence. Switching to Picard.

I’ve gone back to watching Midnight Mass as Halloween prep. Much, much better.

Em

It’s not the first time, of course. His two Stephen King collabs, Gerald’s Game and Doctor Sleep, were IMO poor.

Em
I liked Doctor Sleep and Midnight Mass quite a bit. When I first heard that he was doing House of Usher, I was looking forward to it. When I learned it was going to be a modern update that just took inspiration from several of his stories, I wasn't as excited about it anymore. I just didn't think those stories would work that well with a modern setting, I guess. I should probably give it a chance, though. Flanagan's got a pretty good track record. Maybe he found a way to do it that makes sense.

I liked Doctor Sleep and Midnight Mass quite a bit. When I first heard that he was doing House of Usher, I was looking forward to it. When I learned it was going to be a modern update that just took inspiration from several of his stories, I wasn't as excited about it anymore. I just didn't think those stories would work that well with a modern setting, I guess. I should probably give it a chance, though. Flanagan's got a pretty good track record. Maybe he found a way to do it that makes sense.
It’s one of his worst works, IMO. And I’m a fan.

Em

Weird. I liked Usher. But that being said, I'm not a big horror fan - but watched because my wife liked his other stuff. Maybe the fact that a non-horror person liked it, means other fans won't?!?!

That being said, SPOILER,

I hate monkeys.

Back