Is it a coincidence...

Within the last hour, several of my stories have just received 1-bombs.

Two hours ago, I had four stories with red-H. Now the list has just one.

Those red-H stories were in different categories.

So, the turd is watching us ... here ... in this thread! I triggered it!

(And I know how to do the math. They are 1's!!!)
I am sorry to hear this but it validates our points. RejectReality is definitely rejecting reality.

I never posted under my writing username. Redacted.

[We have a politics section of the forum if you wish to engage in political discussion - AH Mod]

I think redacting my comments is fine but please do so even handedly. I have read many obnoxious political comments in the regular threads and I just have to put the person on ignore. Or do you only censor one political POV???

I am sorry to hear this but it validates our points. RejectReality is definitely rejecting reality.
Oh, don't be sorry over those story rating changes.

The watching, 1-bombing turd feels powerful because with the push of a few keys, it was able to 1-bomb my stories.

But "I" made the turd do it!

Who has the real power?

Oh, don't be sorry over those story rating changes.

The watching, 1-bombing turd feels powerful because with the push of a few keys, it was able to 1-bomb my stories.

But "I" made the turd do it!

Who has the real power?
I hope you get your red H back. I will go 5 bomb them!

Within the last hour, several of my stories have just received 1-bombs.

Two hours ago, I had four stories with red-H. Now the list has just one.

Those red-H stories were in different categories.

So, the turd is watching us ... here ... in this thread! I triggered it!

(And I know how to do the math. They are 1's!!!)
Your public page hasn't updated, and I see 6 Hs, actually. Did you lose 2 more before this thread, or did you miscount?

Believe what you will. You may very well have your own personal troll. Confrontational posts such as what is here and trigger words like re**** could very well cause someone to develop a retaliatory hate-on for you. You're certainly taking the focus off someone like a rando with a handful of technical posts as is suggested in the OP.

The OP believed that it might have been a technical problem but I think this thread shows that such is not the case.

The OP believed that it might have been a technical problem but I think this thread shows that such is not the case.
Lifestyle has a completely different engagement profile than OP. (assuming they engage in the manner they say) Even if we allow for LFS as statement of fact (which, certainly hasn't been proven) we are still comparing apples to oranges.

A) Trolling based upon forum posts is very likely to be a real thing. Could even be happening as we speak as Lifestyle suggests.

B) It is not the most likely reason your score is going down — especially in low-vote categories, when you don't make confrontational posts.

Check out the probability of the innocuous before you start searching for the malicious.

A) Trolling based upon forum posts is very likely to be a real thing. Could even be happening as we speak as Lifestyle suggests.

B) It is not the most likely reason your score is going down — especially in low-vote categories, when you don't make confrontational posts.

Check out the probability of the innocuous before you start searching for the malicious.
Oh, come on! Lit by its very nature attracts the devious and the malicious. It is not an innocuous forum at all. You must think that you are living in Mr. Rogers Neighborhood here.

Oh, come on! Lit by its very nature attracts the devious and the malicious. It is not an innocuous forum at all. You must think that you are living in Mr. Rogers Neighborhood here.
Well, when you say you're ready to troll anyone at the drop of a hat, I can imagine you would believe everyone is like that.

I recognize that people like that exist, and choose to look for the alternatives first before draping myself in garlic and crucifixes.

Well, when you say you're ready to troll anyone at the drop of a hat, I can imagine you would believe everyone is like that.

I recognize that people like that exist, and choose to look for the alternatives first before draping myself in garlic and crucifixes.
It is not just my belief. I have been viciously attacked here and I have seen many many other people attacked as well. Lit is a seething cauldron of hatred.

You would think a site populated by demented perverts jerking off would show some compassion for those who are different but no. The LGBTQIA community is a favorite whipping boy along with women and minorities. I really despise this fucking place.

It is not just my belief. I have been viciously attacked here and I have seen many many other people attacked as well. Lit is a seething cauldron of hatred.

You would think a site populated by demented perverts jerking off would show some compassion for those who are different but no. The LGBTQIA community is a favorite whipping boy along with women and minorities. I really despise this fucking place.
You do realize there are alternatives. None are as big as Lit, but each have their own charms. Many have story-finding mechanisms that help prevent the tribal nature the limited categories here generate on the story side, and heavily moderated forums that prevent venom there. If this place makes you that miserable, close up shop and find a new home. The creative process isn't usually helped by slogging through misery.

If you're trying to change things from within, I might suggest that your current approach is unlikely to affect said change.

Maybe, but not every category is like that. You choose the bed you lie in, and you get the audience you write for, I reckon.

But now I see you don't have any stories posted. So what are you doing in the forums, that's attracting all of the bile? Something must be catching their attention.

You do realize there are alternatives. None are as big as Lit, but each have their own charms. Many have story-finding mechanisms that help prevent the tribal nature the limited categories here generate on the story side, and heavily moderated forums that prevent venom there. If this place makes you that miserable, close up shop and find a new home. The creative process isn't usually helped by slogging through misery.

If you're trying to change things from within, I might suggest that your current approach is unlikely to affect said change.
You are saying that my current approach is not going to lead to peace, love and understanding? Damn, I never would have guessed!

You are saying that my current approach is not going to lead to peace, love and understanding? Damn, I never would have guessed!
I'm saying that what you can typically expect from indiscriminately hurling molotov cocktails is to set yourself on fire.

...that whenever I post in AH, the scores on a handful of my stories drop? I've never posted much, never got past virgin status. My posts have been replies to threads such as: "whats your favorite...?" or "has anyone encountered this technical problem posting a story?" I started a couple threads along the lines of what grammar to use in a particular scenario, or asking where people get inspiration for certain character traits.

Everyone I've interacted with in AH with has been nice. Never got into fight with anyone or talked about politics, etc. My stories are not in LW (they're mostly in romance and EC). Yet, without fail, I see the drop in my scores a day or two after any post I make, even just a thumbs up to someone saying they have a new story out.

Rationally I think it must be a coincidence, and my general shyness is just making me paranoid. Has anyone else experienced this? Could there actually be people who just troll user names that pop up in forums? Its gotten to the point that I don't ever want to do anything that might call attention to my stories (including making this new alt to post this).
Posting in AH can make your stories a target and that has been proven already. But not for posting things like you mentioned. I've been saying some pretty irksome things (for some people) on AH board, but it took a whole year before I became a target of a deliberate bombing campaign. If you want to stay on the safe side, not posting on Lit's boards is the right choice. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that question.

You reap what you sow. You spew hostility, so you receive more hostility than you otherwise would. Your comments are a classic case of projection.

Most commenters here obviously are not seething with hatred. You come to the forum with a hostile agenda, so hostility is what you are going to see.

If you despise the place, then you are free to leave.

I guarantee there are authors here who will bomb your stories if you argue with them, just say something they don't like that, like someone they don't like or post that your story is doing better than theirs.

When I started the "Milestone" Thread it didn't dawn on me at first that I was potentially creating troll target practice, but the last couple of times I added something there I received a nasty anon comment on that story, most likely a bomb but some of my stories have so many votes-and I don't scour my scores daily yo see what they are- I'm not going to notice.

But beyond that there are ghosters who come here and do the same thing, so negative abuse from something said here is not always from an AH member. I proved not long ago the LW trolls lurk here on a regular basis. No surprise they won't identify themselves.

Now 3...2...1 for another crappy comment just for that remark.

Your public page hasn't updated, and I see 6 Hs, actually. Did you lose 2 more before this thread, or did you miscount?

Believe what you will. You may very well have your own personal troll. Confrontational posts such as what is here and trigger words like re**** could very well cause someone to develop a retaliatory hate-on for you. You're certainly taking the focus off someone like a rando with a handful of technical posts as is suggested in the OP.
My author's page showed the ratings changes, and I've downloaded the CVS files to compare. Within that hour, multiple stories declined in score.

As I said, this started in Dec 2021 for me, when I thought I was engaged in a civil disagreement in the AH.

So, which came first: The chicken or the egg?

I'm long over caring and merely point out to others to step over the turds as we stroll through this sewer. Embrace the power of making them seethe with anger, because it gives them a purpose in life.

I'm long over caring and merely point out to others to step over the turds as we stroll through this sewer.

I can’t imagine frequenting a place I thought was a sewer.

Anyway, this thread has certainly been an enlightening discussion of paranoia. Cheers.

I can’t imagine frequenting a place I thought was a sewer.

Anyway, this thread has certainly been an enlightening discussion of paranoia. Cheers.
Unless you disconnect from the Internet, we are all destined to walk through these sewers. Some blissfully ignore the shit and hold their heads high claiming to smell the roses. But that seems to me like living in a fantasy world, ignoring the real smell.

I like to believe I'm more of a realist. For each hateful comment, post, or 1-bomb, ... that's one person's opinion out of 8 billion others on the planet. Keep it in perspective, step over it, and keep walking. There are still more things to learn when we don't shut out the disagreeable, regardless of how low they sink.

By listening to those who disagree with me, I can learn to shape my stories and even pick up some new ideas for the focus of my next story. If I listened only to those who agree with me, then I'd probably write repetitive crap, instead of (what I like to think) are unique shitty stories.

I think redacting my comments is fine but please do so even handedly. I have read many obnoxious political comments in the regular threads and I just have to put the person on ignore. Or do you only censor one political POV???
I've read the discussion board pretty closely for a very long time. I haven't seen an attempt to bring politics to the AH happen here from both sides--just from the one you apparently are being repeatedly redacted to bring here. I don't agree that both sides are doing this. You can just not do it if you want. The Web site gives you a forum where you can do it.

...that whenever I post in AH, the scores on a handful of my stories drop? I've never posted much, never got past virgin status. My posts have been replies to threads such as: "whats your favorite...?" or "has anyone encountered this technical problem posting a story?" I started a couple threads along the lines of what grammar to use in a particular scenario, or asking where people get inspiration for certain character traits.

Everyone I've interacted with in AH with has been nice. Never got into fight with anyone or talked about politics, etc. My stories are not in LW (they're mostly in romance and EC). Yet, without fail, I see the drop in my scores a day or two after any post I make, even just a thumbs up to someone saying they have a new story out.

Rationally I think it must be a coincidence, and my general shyness is just making me paranoid. Has anyone else experienced this? Could there actually be people who just troll user names that pop up in forums? Its gotten to the point that I don't ever want to do anything that might call attention to my stories (including making this new alt to post this).
I think you do get blow-back on your story file if you are an outspoken poster to the discussion board--at least initially. This is offset a bit by attracting readers to your story file by becoming a regular poster to the discussion board. I have no idea how/whether one compensates for the other. Do I see that as a reason not to become an outspoken poster to the discussion board? Not really.

I've read the discussion board pretty closely for a very long time. I haven't seen an attempt to bring politics to the AH happen here from both sides--just from the one you apparently are being repeatedly redacted to bring here. I don't agree that both sides are doing this. You can just not do it if you want. The Web site gives you a forum where you can do it.
Nonsense. This is actually the first time my comments were redacted so you are clueless.

Back