I want to move forward, but...

ashleyw_xoxo

Virgin
For the past too many years I've been inching closer to feeling that I'm a transgender woman. I've probably felt 90+% this way for a while, but I've been holding off re-telling my wife (I came out to her once 7-8 years ago and then agreed to not pursue it). I'm now very close to telling her again, but the thing holding me back most is how my teen daughters will react and how their friends will react.

So I'm looking for perspective from anyone on here who is 18-30: will my daughters get teased if/when friends find out? Or will it be a non-issue? We live in a fairly liberal area outside Washington DC, which I guess helps. And of course I tried to raise them to be accepting. Another point in favor of it not being a big deal (I hope) is that one of my daughters has a lesbian best friend too.

I've re-started seeing a therapist and she said things are a lot different in high school from when I (& my therapist) were in school, but I'd like some more insight. I haven't re-told my wife, but I feel this is all going to come to a head soon. For a while I was hoping to hold off until my younger girl is about to be a senior (as the changes would take time) but even that is a couple years away and I don't want to wait a couple more years to start.

Thank you! Words of encouragement are appreciated. :)

It’s very difficult to advise someone in your situation because we don’t really know your family. You are lucky that you live somewhere which is socially progressive. Your children and your wife will eventually accept your decision but between now and then there are going to be some difficult years. Even once your youngest has graduated it will be difficult but probably easier for the reasons you mention. When all is said and done it’s YOUR life and your body.

Back