Telling the right story for a character (Gender Dysphoria)

This may be the wrong place to pose this request, but ATM it looks like the most fitting.

I'm in the midst of writing a story. One of my characters is dealing with gender dysphoria. They're best friends with a MC, but it's not out of the realm for them to get a spin-off if I can get their voice right.

As a straight, cis, male, I'm worried I won't do this character, and the readers who relate to them, the justice they deserve.

I'm aware that it would be easier to not include that aspect to the story. I know that some people would rather I not attempt to tell a story that I "have no business telling." But representation matters too much to sweep a character under the rug because it challenges my (or someone else's) comfort levels.

That being said, is there a resource I should consider to ensure that I can tell this character's story right? I don't want my ignorance to be a limiting factor to an important character. And it'd be a shame to trivialize their life experience.
Ideally, I'd be able to discuss the experience with someone who feels safe to do so. If not that, then maybe an article/website/documentary to check out.
Or would it make most sense to hit up the editors looking for a sensitivity editor?
Any and all advice is welcome.

Last edited:
I believe the term you're looking for is gender dysphoria. I'd start with understanding what that is exactly... Please don't take this as negativity. I only bring it up because it will impact your character.

Gender dysphoria pertains more towards the distress caused by being unable to express one's gender identity when it differs from the sex they were assigned at birth. Not all trans individuals suffer from gender dysphoria, because they are able to express their sexual identity in a healthy way.

That said, maybe this is what is going on with the character in mention and I'm not telling you anything you don't already know? It's just that many people don't realize that being trans and having gender dysphoria aren't mutually exclusive.

Often times, gender dysphoria is a term that becomes a blanket descriptor for anyone who isn't cis-gendered. That's where the marginalization of individuals occurs. So if your character isn't dealing with the struggle of expressing their gender identity, I'd avoid the term and portray them as the gender-diverse individual you're considering.

Oh, you're absolutely right. And let me start by apologizing for my ignorance on the matter. I don't want to say or imply anything that is offensive or comes across as judgemental. I'm hoping that by knowing more I can avoid insulting or belittling someone just trying to exist.

I haven't determined what the outcome will be for that character, yet. Or, probably more accurately, I haven't written enough to discover the direction that character will go.

Without giving away too much, my main characters are shocked to discover they've misgendered their new friend. But it's explained that's been done somewhat intentionally.

The character was born female, but I don't know how to approach their preferred pronouns.
MC discovers they're binding, but using bandages, so there's a discussion about safety and how the character with gender dysphoria has felt like this isn't something they could have researched or talked about with anyone. They're scared of how their parents will react. "Tom Boy" is the title bestowed on them by their old friends, and at this point, it's been tolerated.

Exploring their emotions makes the most sense to me. Scared, isolated, misunderstood, broken. But I'm sure I'm just going to wind up scratching the surface without more consideration.

Thank you for your polite response.

Back