I don't know what to do

madelinemasoch

Masoch's 2nd Cumming
People praised Eleanor Winter Part I on the grounds of its subtlety in regards to the way I handled the humiliation scenes. (If this aspect didn't read as subtle to you, then compare it to my other work, and those comments will start to make a lot of sense). There's more going on there that's subtle that I don't really want to speak of out loud at this time because that would obviously spoil said subtlety.

When it comes to Part II, I sort of don't know what to do. Full disclosure: today has been my first day writing it since Part I came out. I fell into a strange depression after it dropped and couldn't approach the story in the correct way until today, because a flood of Part II ideas came to mind last night's walk. However, I am stultified by several concerns in regards to the story. The new ideas I'm now equipped with I can really only half-remember, but the centrality of it is there, clear as day. The dilemma is that they're no longer as subtle as Part I... this does make sense, because Part I is actually a buildup to something that happens which changes the trajectory of the story within Part II, so logically it follows that Part II would be more "extreme" and brutal.

The buildup is all there in the story as planned and penned so far, but I wonder if the plot point would hit harder if it came "out of nowhere." Truth be told, it kind of doesn't. Maybe for some of the more gullible readers it still will, regardless of how I handle it... And I know for a fact if I do what I'm planning on now, the nuance by the absolute end of the story will be fully lost on most readers.

However! Part II will make Part I a lot better either way. I just don't know what to do because the ideas are a little bit skewed in the extreme direction; more extreme than I have ever been emotionally. I can't tell if people like the subtlety because it's a tone down from prior stories or because it's just more emotional. Can I pull off the balancing act of the story? Can she???

I don't know. All I know is I don't really know what to do.

Write it, read it, revise it, read again, revise it again, and then, well, decide if you need more. I can't tell you how to make it more or less subtle, I often telegraph too much when I want a twist. So, I have to go back and do what I've told you myself. I've never been a fan of readers or writers giving me suggestions of what comes next. Which they always seem to try to do. "She needs to get knocked up by her daddy," was one example. I didn't want her knocked up by her daddy.

Anyway, without getting into specifics and paraphrasing "it's your money," from the commercials, "It's your story. Make it work the way you want it to."

Write it, read it, revise it, read again, revise it again, and then, well, decide if you need more. I can't tell you how to make it more or less subtle, I often telegraph too much when I want a twist. So, I have to go back and do what I've told you myself. I've never been a fan of readers or writers giving me suggestions of what comes next. Which they always seem to try to do. "She needs to get knocked up by her daddy," was one example. I didn't want her knocked up by her daddy.

Anyway, without getting into specifics and paraphrasing "it's your money," from the commercials, "It's your story. Make it work the way you want it to."
Thanks, Millie. I surely will.

People praised Eleanor Winter Part I on the grounds of its subtlety in regards to the way I handled the humiliation scenes. (If this aspect didn't read as subtle to you, then compare it to my other work, and those comments will start to make a lot of sense). There's more going on there that's subtle that I don't really want to speak of out loud at this time because that would obviously spoil said subtlety.

When it comes to Part II, I sort of don't know what to do. Full disclosure: today has been my first day writing it since Part I came out. I fell into a strange depression after it dropped and couldn't approach the story in the correct way until today, because a flood of Part II ideas came to mind last night's walk. However, I am stultified by several concerns in regards to the story. The new ideas I'm now equipped with I can really only half-remember, but the centrality of it is there, clear as day. The dilemma is that they're no longer as subtle as Part I... this does make sense, because Part I is actually a buildup to something that happens which changes the trajectory of the story within Part II, so logically it follows that Part II would be more "extreme" and brutal.

The buildup is all there in the story as planned and penned so far, but I wonder if the plot point would hit harder if it came "out of nowhere." Truth be told, it kind of doesn't. Maybe for some of the more gullible readers it still will, regardless of how I handle it... And I know for a fact if I do what I'm planning on now, the nuance by the absolute end of the story will be fully lost on most readers.

However! Part II will make Part I a lot better either way. I just don't know what to do because the ideas are a little bit skewed in the extreme direction; more extreme than I have ever been emotionally. I can't tell if people like the subtlety because it's a tone down from prior stories or because it's just more emotional. Can I pull off the balancing act of the story? Can she???

All you can do is all you can do. Take some time if you need to; forcing yourself to complete it when you're not 100% sold on what you want to do--whether that's because of outside influences or a change of heart--is only going to lead to unhappiness.

These are words to live by. In writing and other things.

On another site, I wrote a Star Wars story and had a fan ask me if a Sith character could be part of the polyamory. I didn’t want that. I hope he was ok with me ending up featuring that character having sex with another Sith only. I may never know.

All you can do is all you can do. Take some time if you need to; forcing yourself to complete it when you're not 100% sold on what you want to do--whether that's because of outside influences or a change of heart--is only going to lead to unhappiness.

This also is a fair point.

I know that's less than helpful. But noting your concerns, I have no idea how you can make changes. I haven't read the first part yet. But I will later, maybe later tonight. Unless the kid gets rambunctious or Jo turns amorous. I'm hoping for the later, not the former. :)
Thanks for that as well.

Thank you.

I mentioned in a prior thread that Eleanor (the character) kind of uhm, makes me write things. I think now she's probably eagerly awaiting what I'll actually do, and taking pleasure in the fact that I don't know yet.

Go for a long walk somewhere pretty and just be with your thoughts. Try reflecting on your story, but not too hard. Helps me more often than not.
I do this nightly, to varying results. Last night was good. A few nights before... not so good.

Go for a long walk somewhere pretty and just be with your thoughts. Try reflecting on your story, but not too hard. Helps me more often than not.

This helps me a lot too. I have several drafts I’m hoping it will help me with right now after putting them aside for various reasons.

Thank you.

I mentioned in a prior thread that Eleanor (the character) kind of uhm, makes me write things. I think now she's probably eagerly awaiting what I'll actually do, and taking pleasure in the fact that I don't know yet.

Sounds like you need an erinyes to corral and advise your muses too. I’ll see if mine knows anyone appropriate.

Sounds like you need an erinyes to corral and advise your muses too. I’ll see if mine knows anyone appropriate.
Well... I don't know if that's going to work for her.

A few nights ago, I had a bad experience. Hallucination? Telepathic communication? I'm not sure. All I know is that I was dominating her for a change, and I didn't like how that felt.

Well... I don't know if that's going to work for her.

A few nights ago, I had a bad experience. Hallucination? Telepathic communication? I'm not sure. All I know is that I was dominating her for a change, and I didn't like how that felt.

Ah, it’s gone a bit further for you than me. Well, uh, I’m not sure what to do then. Best of luck to you. I’ve always been in control of my characters. What people think of them isn’t as easy.

Ah, it’s gone a bit further for you than me. Well, uh, I’m not sure what to do then. Best of luck to you. I’ve always been in control of my characters. What people think of them isn’t as easy.
Thank you. What happened is that this is an "imaginary" relationship for me. I started to become more like her, what with the way she treats me and the nature of things around here. So I treated her the way she treats me for that one scene. In order to move this dialectic further, what I must do next is make her more like me. Stay tuned for Part II to see how that turns out...

Thank you. What happened is that this is an "imaginary" relationship for me. I started to become more like her, what with the way she treats me and the nature of things around here. So I treated her the way she treats me for that one scene. In order to move this dialectic further, what I must do next is make her more like me. Stay tuned for Part II to see how that turns out...

If it helps, the FMC in my story Ruleskirter is one of my characters similar to your Eleanor. Same for my FMC in the Passion series, my MMC in Debrief, and other characters. Good luck.

I understand that it is an unpopular position with many in this forum, but your experience with this story is another perfect example of why patience is so valuable when writing a multi-part story.

Publishing before the story is complete skews what readers get out of the limited context available to them and ties the hands of the author when needed directional changes in the plot do occur, and they usually will occur.

You have a few options for enhancing what you have already posted in the first chapter, up to and including submitting an edited version at some point. Whatever you decide to do with chapter one, I suggest that you wait until you have finished the rest of the story. The degree to which you want to let chapter one influence the remainder of the story is up to you.

It seems some of your ideas are getting lost as they're forgotten before being committed to paper. I often find tidbits surfacing when least expected. My solution was to dictate them to my phone when they happen. Since the flashes may conflict over time, they can be distilled to a (hopefully) coherent narrative later on.

It seems like you're conflicted over it, so I'd let the piece sit until you feel better about it.

Also, I know its easier said than done, but try not to put on any pressure on yourself due to the first one being well received. Just write part two like its just another story.

It seems like you're conflicted over it, so I'd let the piece sit until you feel better about it.

Also, I know its easier said than done, but try not to put on any pressure on yourself due to the first one being well received. Just write part two like its just another story.
Thanks lovecraft.

Back