I’m so old I remember…

Libraries are not all the same these days. I found one in Middleburg VA, National Sporting Library & Museum. Angling, horsemanship, shooting, steeplechasing, foxhunting, flat racing, polo, coaching, and wildlife are among the tombs and the art is cool too. Research done by Teddy Roosevelt is archived there. Some books you can pull off the shelf are so old I really felt they should be handled by someone else. The environment so controlled it was not easy to get to the memories you have. But a privilege to be among books that were really written. Not sure how they printed back then.
Libraries like that are rare - but they still exist.

Around here most libraries are of those with at least relatively modern books. Leant and read constantly. The one closest to me has a very high lending rate, you usually need to make a reservation to read any series in the right to finish. The 2nd closest is a university library, but technical stuff tends to focus on the more recent material, not ancient ones (and there's not enough ancient material for all of them).

I'm so old I remember a milk vending machine in the basement of the apartment building grew up in. The milk was dispensed in quart containers and always fresh because it was restocked every few days. The main downside was that half the containers leaked!

Struggling to stay awake to watch the first moon landing aired on our black and white TV

Libraries are not all the same these days. I found one in Middleburg VA, National Sporting Library & Museum. Angling, horsemanship, shooting, steeplechasing, foxhunting, flat racing, polo, coaching, and wildlife are among the tombs and the art is cool too. Research done by Teddy Roosevelt is archived there. Some books you can pull off the shelf are so old I really felt they should be handled by someone else. The environment so controlled it was not easy to get to the memories you have. But a privilege to be among books that were really written. Not sure how they printed back then.
I have to mention Mars Bars here. Since they are still around and so it all the other candy. I was trying to name all the candy and ask the kid if she knew what they were or Mars as a family or company. No idea. Skittles. But I don't know who makes them. Anyway, endowment for the museum^.
Ink. Remember the purple stuff you had to sniff before you took the pop test? [Mimeograph]
I also remember most wrong answers were because the teachers called their scribble cursive.
Cursive is an old timers secret code these days

ISOIR cable TV was $3 a month and we got the mysterious UHF stations only people with ‘new’ TV’s could see.

ISOIR cable TV was $3 a month and we got the mysterious UHF stations only people with ‘new’ TV’s could see.
What year was that? CATV was used in rural PA mountains for a while. But actual cable TV and station aggregation was an inventive hotel operator at the Jersey Shore. Collecting stations by antenna and distributing to the rooms. Coax cable was perfected and distributed by township after that. Prior to that "Cable" was channels where mountains were in the way and carried by wire -300ohm- then amplified and distributed by antenna.
Those guys are flipping in their grave these days witnessing the greed of streaming. The death of TV. No more flipping through the channels.

I grew up with rotary phones. So when I'm on those "Poster Above" threads, I'm not as fast at typing like those who grew up with a cell phone in their crib. I often miss being the next poster when I post my reply. Ugh!

Bronco Lane
Cheyanne
Rawhide
Wagon train
Gunsmoke
Laramie
Bonanza
Laramie
Laredo
Tenderfoot (Sugarfoot)
Cimmeron strip
Wells Fargo

Guess I grode up on westerns and i aint shot no one yet

Bronco Lane
Cheyanne
Rawhide
Wagon train
Gunsmoke
Laramie
Bonanza
Laramie
Laredo
Tenderfoot (Sugarfoot)
Cimmeron strip
Wells Fargo

Guess I grode up on westerns and i aint shot no one yet
You must have really liked Laramie

Waiting impatiently for the newspaper to come so I could see/read it and all the boxscores from the ballgames.Ah the good ol days.

Back