I’m so old I remember…

Most car radios were AM...like this:
a7e5b9002f2e3641bf3552cbd179403b.jpg

The first car I had in high school cost me $250 and was a blue 1965 Dodge Dart. I put a sound system in it that cost me $300. Naturally while in the Navy at school in Orlando, one of my fellow sailors broke into my car and stole the radio and amplifier.

My car looked like this one.

dodge-dart-2-door-hardtop-front-side-nasco-yankee-meet-2023-1-1315344.jpg

Most car radios were AM...like this:
a7e5b9002f2e3641bf3552cbd179403b.jpg

The first car I had in high school cost me $250 and was a blue 1965 Dodge Dart. I put a sound system in it that cost me $300. Naturally while in the Navy at school in Orlando, one of my fellow sailors broke into my car and stole the radio and amplifier.

My car looked like this one.

dodge-dart-2-door-hardtop-front-side-nasco-yankee-meet-2023-1-1315344.jpg
My dad found a '71 Chevrolet impala for me. We got it running. Trash picked more stuff from the junk yard and got the AC working. Eventually put a 4 barrel carb on it. I could get to school and back, party, duck hunt and tow my boat with it. It finally gave up about '84 with over 200,000 miles. The '78 Monte Carlo is the one I put some tunes in.
That was back in the day where if you wanted something all you really had to do is figure out how it works...

I drove that car into the ground. It had over 100,000 miles on it when I started my cross-country road trip from L.A. to Orlando in 1977. I had my generator burn out in Texas, lost my AC while staying in a rest area in New Orleans in July, then lost a seal gasket upon initially entering Florida. Once "repaired" I could rive, but for some reason every gear had shifted by one...so Park was now reverse, etc...

I still used it for the 6 months I was in Orlando...then sold it after haggling with a used car dealer...he offered me $50...I told him I couldn't take less than $75 so I had some food money...lol

I remember having to walk to the TV to change the channel! (In 2 feet of snow, uphill, both ways🤣)
Same (minus the snow), only I had to use pliers to turn the channel because we had stripped the knob for the channel changer. I also remember having to climb up on the roof after a windy storm to reposition the antennae with my dad barking at me if I went slightly past perfection each way...

Same (minus the snow), only I had to use pliers to turn the channel because we had stripped the knob for the channel changer. I also remember having to climb up on the roof after a windy storm to reposition the antennae with my dad barking at me if I went slightly past perfection each way...
We trash picked our first color tv about 1982. Then we had a black and white tv on top of a color tv. The b&w needed pliers to change the channel. We had a small pair of channel lock pliers on there. Sometimes the weight would change the channel and make you have to get back up.

Making mix tapes by recording songs on tapes. I hated it when the radio guys talked over the songs. They ruined the recording, when they did. 🤣

Yes!

An art lost to time. The Spotify playlist is such a sad consolation to a mixed tape.
I so agree. Collecting music in various ways used to be a hobby for me, and being able to call up anything at anytime on a streaming service has made that obsolete.

ISO I'm watching the original Footloose movie from 40 years ago this morning and recalling going to the theater with my older sister when it first came out.

Standing outside in a line of many 50 people waiting to get tickets to Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back while stationed in Peral Harbor. Right behind me in line was the Lead Actor for the TV show Magnum, PI - Tom Selleck - which was also shot in Oahu. Hawaii has a pretty laid back, "hang loose" attitude so nobody even talked to him the whole time we were in line - it wouldn't have been "cool" to gawk at him.

Back