Hello

I have noticed that sometimes readers make suggestions in comments besides saying if they liked a story or not. If you are an author, did you ever use a suggestion, request, or idea you found in your comments to revise a story or to write a new one?
If I have an inspiring conversation with someone that starts from comments sure. That has happened maybe 2 or 3 times in 20+ years.

Most of the time I get "can you write scene XYZ in genre ABC?" wherein one of those two if not both is an extreme 'squick' for me, or just something I have no knowledge of or interest in.

A good number of randos just leave weird comments. One word 'hello', a few that managed to leave blank comments back when I was on ASSTR (and back when ASSTR was still alive).

I do get a couple of "We should start private chatting or meeting in this game platform or emailing or something, here's my info: stuff" I almost always ignore those. I am guilty of accidentally sending one to another author on another site and ending up in a months long conversation even though they wrote in a genre that deeply bothers me (the age of his characters prevents him from writing here...).

I wish I did get more engaging comments, but I don't.

I have never altered a story, and to be honest, I can't find any comments from my readers suggesting any.

What I have changed, based entirely on reader feedback, is how I submit stories. I stopped submitting in parts or chapters and now only submit the complete story in one posting.

A common comment I receive is to write another chapter. While such comments are perhaps gratifying to read, I usually ignore them. Many of my stories, as life itself, don’t end with a definite conclusion as there is always tomorrow until, for a given person, there isn’t.

Yeah. Went to bed at 9:30. Couldn’t sleep. Jet-lag sucks.

I’m going to see if I can strike up a relationship with Bill Murray in the bar - BRB.

Em
BILL MURRAY’S AT THE BAR?!?!?

Oh wait, it’s just a lost in translation reference (Mmmm, Scarlet).

Charlotte in that movie kinda confirmed to me that I liked girls as well.
Jodie-Foster-010.jpg

Jodie Foster, Contact, 1997. Things got... complicated after I discovered her.

8534924385_196bdba4f9_b.jpg

If you are an author, did you ever use a suggestion, request, or idea you found in your comments to revise a story or to write a new one? Thank you. Just wondering.
No. Some of them are genuine suggestions, and I harbour those but none has ever spoken to me. The vast bulk, however, are things like:
part 2! married, with babies!

part 2! where the mums meet and have sex!

part 2! what about the dads and the girls!

part 2! <horribly run on, unpunctuated, grammatically poor larping where the commentor wants a story written in their particular way>
I have no idea where my stories come from. I'm often honestly terrible at wrapping them up properly, because they're short windows into the characters lives, and I like to leave part of my characters open to interpretation. I've never written something (here) that I was consciously aware of seeding off someone else's idea, and given the nature of this site I likely wouldn't. I have enough part-formed story ideas that I have to beat back with a stick as it is.

I think it’s the combo of looks AND that incredibly sultry voice that’s the ticket. She’s the closest thing to a modern day Lauren Bacall.

She’d make the list, but it’s a short list
OK, vanity moment 😬

I’ve been told I sound a little like ScarJo. I have a deeper voice than you might think.

I’d love to have her body. You can read that two ways… and I mean them both 😈.

Em

OK, vanity moment 😬

I’ve been told I sound a little like ScarJo. I have a deeper voice than you might think.

I’d love to have her body. You can read that two ways… and I mean them both 😈.

Em
Well obvious as my post gave away I’m a huge fan of Bogie and his legendary films, but there’s probably only 10 of those, more or less.

Amazing the impact such a short amount of movies can have on cinema.

Here’s looking at you, kid.

Well obvious as my post gave away I’m a huge fan of Bogie and his legendary films, but there’s probably only 10 of those, more or less.

This could be the start of a beautiful friendship 😊

Em

We’ll swap reading GP stories. Deal?

Em
Okay, fortunately it's less than 12,000 words, so it won't take you too long. I haven't been in any event in maybe two years, and now I remember that these things get more attention than an ordinary submission. I'm not sure what word to use - "daunting" is a bit much - but it's it is a different feeling.

Okay, fortunately it's less than 12,000 words, so it won't take you too long. I haven't been in any event in maybe two years, and now I remember that these things get more attention than an ordinary submission. I'm not sure what word to use - "daunting" is a bit much - but it's it is a different feeling.
Mine is over 30k, sorry 😞

I am new here, but i have been secretly reading for a while and decided finally to come in. I would like to say I am a writer, but, well, i am probably not good enough. But i do have fun reading. I have noticed that sometimes readers make suggestions in comments besides saying if they liked a story or not. If you are an author, did you ever use a suggestion, request, or idea you found in your comments to revise a story or to write a new one? Thank you. Just wondering.
Someone did make a suggestion for a story and I probably will use it because it will allow me to do something different and create a relatively short story.

Now we are in danger of hijacking this thread. I was going to go on about Bogart, but I promised to rein myself in. One thing I will add. This is on West 103rd Street in New York, and the building is still there, although now owned by the Housing Authority.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...eh.JPG/600px-245_W103_St_Bogie_plaque_jeh.JPG

I am new here, but i have been secretly reading for a while and decided finally to come in. I would like to say I am a writer, but, well, i am probably not good enough. But i do have fun reading. I have noticed that sometimes readers make suggestions in comments besides saying if they liked a story or not. If you are an author, did you ever use a suggestion, request, or idea you found in your comments to revise a story or to write a new one? Thank you. Just wondering.

What kind of stuff would you write and what is it that you enjoy reading?

I don't get many suggestions. One reader did like my description of a biomed conference in Vegas and suggested the next one could be in his home town in Tennessee where there's a larger medical center.

I wasn't up for that, but when my character got together with a throwaway character, I had her working in Nashville.

Hi! I read ll and would like to say thanks for all the responses and especially the welcomes! When i tried to respond to each one my responses got all tangled so i will just say thanks to everyone for responding and for being so nice. I was not sure what to expect.

i think that writing is kind of like a conversation, so paying attention to responses is a good idea if they relate to what being understood. If somebody tells you i don’t understand then the author is the only one who can fix it but it is good to know that somebody does not get it. On the other hand, i don’t think i would chage a story just because of one person who wished something else had happened. Authors are not trained monkeys.if a reader wants a story to end a certain way then they should write one. Not that is really matters what i think but i just wanted to say thanks to everybody for making me feel welcome.

Back