Hello

Yellowbirdy

Virgin
I am new here, but i have been secretly reading for a while and decided finally to come in. I would like to say I am a writer, but, well, i am probably not good enough. But i do have fun reading. I have noticed that sometimes readers make suggestions in comments besides saying if they liked a story or not. If you are an author, did you ever use a suggestion, request, or idea you found in your comments to revise a story or to write a new one? Thank you. Just wondering.

First of all: welcome.

I'll probably be one of the few to admit reader feedback did sway my writing, at least in one particular series I was writing a new chapter for.

But I've never revised or changed an already published story just because someone didn't like something or suggested a different ending or whatever.

Of course. I love comments, and the reader suggestions sometimes are excellent. I keep a record for each story and if a rewrite is needed I'll make the improvements. They've also generated several sequels, not all are published though.

BTW Welcome!

I've never altered a story because of a suggestion from a reader, but I have had readers make suggestions that I already had in the hopper for a following chapter, which made me feel good that I was on track with what some would like to see in a story.

The only times I have gone back and changed anything previously published because of a comment was when the reader has pointed out some glaring error, such as mixing up the characters names.

But, I have taken some criticism in reader comments seriously in terms of improving my writing, and I believe I am a better writer for it.

I've never changed an existing story, but absolutely I pay attention to reader comments in writing my next story. The most important comments for that purpose are criticisms of continuity or plausibility. My stories often skirt, or blow open, the boundaries of plausibility, so I want to do what I can not to completely lose the reader. I appreciate comments of this sort.

Welcome!

Like most others, I don't make changes based on comments unless it's a glaring typo. I'm quite willing to entertain suggestions for new stories or sequels.

And don't sell yourself short. Nobody is a good bicycle rider until they try.

I have noticed that sometimes readers make suggestions in comments besides saying if they liked a story or not. If you are an author, did you ever use a suggestion, request, or idea you found in your comments to revise a story or to write a new one? Thank you. Just wondering.
When/if it causes my muse to come up with something inspired by it, yes.

Many readers tell me that they can't wait for the next chapter. But, as a rule, I tend not to write chaptered stories. So, in answer to your question: No.

And welcome to the AH. :)

I've probably talked about this before in other threads / conversations, but since it came up here I'll explain in more detail:

I was writing the third chapter in my series The Jenna Arrangement.

I was still a VERY new writer at the time.

The first two chapters were very CFNM focused, but I worried I wasn't getting to any actual SEX fast enough.

And so I wrote a scene where the female lead Jenna drops to her knees to blow the male lead Tom before hoping on his lap to fuck him.

It was a pretty hot scene. But I felt like I was rushing things between them.

Meanwhile, reader comments were coming in on chapter two, and to my surprise, NOT ONE person complained they hadn't fucked yet, and, to the contrary, I received many comments encouraging me to continue the "Slow Burn" pacing and not rush into anything.

Now knowing readers were on my side, I went back and scrapped the sex scene and instead increased the CFNM teasing aspects.

And again, readers confirmed I'd made the right choice in comments on that chapter as well.

I am new here, but i have been secretly reading for a while and decided finally to come in. I would like to say I am a writer, but, well, i am probably not good enough. But i do have fun reading. I have noticed that sometimes readers make suggestions in comments besides saying if they liked a story or not. If you are an author, did you ever use a suggestion, request, or idea you found in your comments to revise a story or to write a new one? Thank you. Just wondering.
Ironically, as I’m currently posting from a London hotel. I wrote a piece about a transatlantic JOI and got the time difference the wrong way round.

I lost count of how many people pointed it out it comments and PMs.

😬😬😬

Em

Ironically, as I’m currently posting from a London hotel. I wrote a piece about a transatlantic JOI and got the time difference the wrong way round.

I lost count of how many people pointed it out it comment and PMs.

😬😬😬

Em

You're still up?

I've probably talked about this before in other threads / conversations, but since it came up here I'll explain in more detail:

I was writing the third chapter in my series The Jenna Arrangement.

I was still a VERY new writer at the time.

The first two chapters were very CFNM focused, but I worried I wasn't getting to any actual SEX fast enough.

And so I wrote a scene where the female lead Jenna drops to her knees to blow the male lead Tom before hoping on his lap to fuck him.

It was a pretty hot scene. But I felt like I was rushing things between them.

Meanwhile, reader comments were coming in on chapter two, and to my surprise, NOT ONE person complained they hadn't fucked yet, and, to the contrary, I received many comments encouraging me to continue the "Slow Burn" pacing and not rush into anything.

Now knowing readers were on my side, I went back and scrapped the sex scene and instead increased the CFNM teasing aspects.

And again, readers confirmed I'd made the right choice in comments on that chapter as well.
If I ever meet your Jenna in some parallel universe, it’s not going to be a slow burn!

Em

Nope. Commenters comment, and that's as far as it goes. Unless, as Keith says above, the comment inspires my muse in some way, and that doesn't often happen.

But that's not to say that it's bad for a writer to do this. If you want to, OP, go with your bad self. There's no right answer.

Welcome to Lit.

I lost count of how many people pointed it out it comments and PMs.

😬😬😬

Em
Easy mistake to make. I have friends who live in different time zones and i have to check my world clock to make sure i don’t wake them up or bother them while they are making music in the night.

Of course. I love comments, and the reader suggestions sometimes are excellent. I keep a record for each story and if a rewrite is needed I'll make the improvements. They've also generated several sequels, not all are published though.

BTW Welcome!
Thank you!

First of all: welcome.

I'll probably be one of the few to admit reader feedback did sway my writing, at least in one particular series I was writing a new chapter for.

But I've never revised or changed an already published story just because someone didn't like something or suggested a different ending or whatever.
Thank you for welcoming me! And thanks for the answer! I didn’t mean a disagreement about taste, just an inspiration. I see a lot of variations on requests to “please continue”

Welcome to Literotica!

I love feedback, and I enjoy receiving suggestions for my series moving forward from dedicated readers. I also get an enormous kick out of readers sharing theories on the direction they think the story is heading.

I plot my work chapters in advance to stave off writers block, so it’s usually very entertaining seeing how close some of their ideas are. I gladly take inspiration from suggestions as they’re offered.

I’m not opposed to a bit of “fan service” either. At the end of the day I’m writing because I enjoy it first, and secondly to entertain, so I see no reason why I shouldn’t heed the inspiration of involved/dedicated fans.

I plot my work chapters in advance to stave off writers block, so it’s usually very entertaining seeing how close some of their ideas are.

Lol. When I wrote my series, I had an idea of where the next chapter would go. A reader submitted a "this is what I think should come next!" comment, and it happened to be almost exactly what I already had in mind.

I felt kinda dumb.

Lol. When I wrote my series, I had an idea of where the next chapter would go. A reader submitted a "this is what I think should come next!" comment, and it happened to be almost exactly what I already had in mind.

I felt kinda dumb.

I wouldn't say that makes you dumb at all, perhaps just a bit... predictable. I've had fans be spot on with the direction the next chapter will go. I've also been complimented for the way that I played things out even with them having an idea of where the next step would take things; I was told the paths I took to get there were unexpected twists.

I will admit, though, that having them grasping for straws with theories and guesses while I chuckle deviously behind my laptop, knowing no one is even remotely close to my next step is most satisfying. Gotta keep them guessing sometimes!

So most of the comments that I get with suggestions aren't helpful... but once I got a really useful suggestion, and I immediately said, "YEP! That's going on in!"

As far as I can remember, that only happened once... but it did indeed happen.

Back