Heart of Lothian

She saw him reach for her hair and twist a lock around his finger as he said:
"I don't know that I have ever seen a yellow rose, I presume they are indeed beautiful."

"I will have to plant some in the garden then, so you may feast your eyes upon them.", Rozenn replied, still formal, although the ice that had appeared around her heart was quickly melting. Why did this man have so much power over her feelings after such a short encounter? He could make her heart beat fast and he could make it feel cold with just a few of his words. Rozenn blamed it on the fact that she was bound to him.

"She must go. I thought I could hate you enough to keep her, to hold her here. But I canna."

For a moment, she didnt know what to reply to this and so she just quietly walked a step behind him as he led her back to her chamber. There he kissed her forehead and wished her goodnight, calling her something in his native tongue that she did not understand.
Just as he turned to leave, she called after him.

"Mylord, you will never be able to just ban her from your heart and mind because of my arrival.", Rozenn stated. "I am no fool, mylord. I can see and hear that you still love her. You are kind to me, which I am very grateful for. But you do not have to pretend to love me when your heart is still mourning another."
Before he could reply something she entered her chamber and closed the door behind her, to leave him to think over those words. Kindness was more than Rozenn could expect from an arranged husband. She didnt want him to act out love for her.

Down in the hall Rozenn was the topic of conversation at most tables. Percy and Robert were drinking Scottish whiskey, while Mary was just shaking her head at them.
"She has blue eyes, I tell you. Dark, dark blue!", Percy insisted.
"No, you big fool. They are green. As green as our land.", Mary corrected him.
"Are you all blind? They are blue!", Percy was still convinced. Just then the group noticed their Lord return and Percy instantly turned towards him.
"Gavin, since ye just spent a small eternity with the English lassie, what color are her eyes? They are blue, arent they?"
"Tell Percy that he is a blind fool and that they are green.", Mary contered, but the smile on her face grew when she added.
"Though I'd much rather know what the frightened bird told ye to get you into this state of mind."
His cousin's wife was good as reading people's emotions and she could tell that Rozenn must have played badly with Gavin's head.
"Come on, what did she say to put ye in such a mood? Did she tell ye not to touch her?...Nae, she seemed too eager to please the world for that.", Mary tried to guess, her curiosity boundless.

Last edited:
"Come on, what did she say to put ye in such a mood? Did she tell ye not to touch her?...Nae, she seemed too eager to please the world for that.", Mary pried.

Gavin looked at her, ignoring the question altogether, "She may need some help getting ready for the night, she is in - her chambers." All three revelers at the table knew that the conversation, and Mary had been dismissed.

Though not quite brooding, the thoughts of his wife weighed heavily on Gavin's mind. It wasn't forced love he thought to himself. More it was an attempt to be fair to Buidhe-ros, the yellow rose.

The feast looked like it was not going to wind down anytime soon, Gavin stood, raising his hands. "Friends and clansmen. It is time to close this feast, tomorrow we shall start the feast at the appropriate time, and will have a boar hunt soon there after. See you at noon!"

With that Gavin headed upstairs to his rooms. Entering his chamber, he turned left toward the wall farthest from Rozenn's room and the stack of chests there. Glancing at the door between their chambers he could see it was shut and a pale light shown under the door, "Rozenn and Mary must be talking," he thought.

Four chests. One for each year they were married. One for each summer he spent away at war. Hefting the first chest, he carried downstairs to the main hall and set it near the hearth, then repeated the process for the other three chests. The scullions watched his somber parade back and forth, none of them daring to ask what was going on.

As he set the last chest down, to no one, and everyone, "Leave me. Sleep in the stables tonight." A flurry of activity ensued as the young men, boys really, filed out of the halls door and left the building.

There were no letters in the chests. Gavin's handwriting was poor and literacy wasn't something he spent much time on. There were practical matters of war and leading his small slice of Scotland. He could read and write. But what would take a learned person a minute or two to read, took Gavin a half hour. Writing took far less time, but was incorrigibly sloppy, laced with misspelled words.

Instead each chest contained clothes, combs, and other personal artifacts of his late wife. Each one, in turn, he pulled from a chest, held it, remembering when Lilias got it far too infrequently. Most of the items he didn't recognize, some he did. Those he remembered fondly before tossing into the flames. Before long he stopped wondering about where the other items came from, tossing them in.

His eyes stopped leaking water long before he finished. She was buried, physically and mentally. The emotion part taking a great leap forward that night. Close to midnight, the last item went into the flames, only one left to keep.

Hefting the hair brush and heading upstairs leaving the chests where they lay, Gavin espied Mary sitting halfway up the stairs. "How long have you been watching?" Gavin asked.

Mary's face was streaked with tears, as she replied, "T-t-t-too l-l-l-long."

Gavin caressed her hair gently, saying, "Go sleep with Buidhe-Ros, Mary. It is late, I kicked Robert out hours ago."

"Y-y-y-y-y" Mary seemed stuck on yes, then "Okay."

She stood, her hand in Gavin's as he helped her up. "Oh, Mary?"

"Y-y-yes?"

Gavin handed her the silver hair brush saying, "This was always more yours than hers, take it."

Fresh tears erupted from Mary's eyes as she tried not to take the brush from Gavin. Eventually he got it into her hand and wrapped her fingers around it gently. "now go," he said as he gently pushed her back up the stairs.

Up in her chambers, Rozenn was slowly preparing for bed herself. She had learned how to get by without any help, even though unlacing the gown took a long time without anybody there.
She was in no hurry however, her thoughts racing back and fourth in her mind, occupied with the man that was to be her husband. So kind, yet so rough at the same time. Laughing on the outside, but always carrying so much sadness in his eyes. She didnt know what to make of him.
She had managed to unlace her gown about half way down when there was a knock on the door.
Rozenn opened, surprised to see Mary there, who told her that Gavin had sent her up for help.
"What did ye and my cousin speak of?", Lady Mary asked as she quckly got to work on Rozenn's gown, her fingers moving fast and before Rozenn could even realize she could take off the dress with ease.
"A bit about everything.", she replied, stepping out of the garment. She then moved to one of the chests on her own to take out a clean white nightgown. Slipping out of her chemise, she was quick to pull the nightgown over her head. She was not ashamed to be nude around another woman. Under the service of Isabell of France she had shared a chamber with another lady in waiting for a brief period of time and there had been no room for modesty.
"Lady Mary, would you be able to tell me about Lady Lilias?", Rozenn suddenly asked when she returned to the bed to sit next to her new friend. She saw the sadness appear in the other's eyes but she insisted.
"Please, I think I have a right to know."
From then on she sat and listened, almost wanting to cry herself. Gavin had loved this woman dearly and she had been torn from him without a warning. It was not surprising that she was still haunting his heart.
"Thank you, Lady Mary. I now wish to sleep."
She needed to be alone to think. She laid down on her new soft bed to give herself to her thoughts, but surprisingly she fell asleep extremely quickly, the fatigue of the journey overcoming her.

When she woke up the next day, she almost screamed. There were two figures moving up and about. Only once she woke up fully did she noticed that they were preparing a bath. When they saw her awake they curtsied politely before returning to her work.
Rozenn was not used to have people serving her and especially not entering her chambers without her permission, even though the hot bath looked inviting.
Slowly she moved out of bed and closer to the tub, allowing her hand to feel the water. The temperature was perfect and a smile spread on her face.
"His Lordship thought ye might like it.", the older servant said as she pourred the last bucket of water into the tub.
"Is he awake already?", Rozenn inquired, making the older servant chuckle as she sent the younger girl downstairs.
"And long gone too, milady.", she added, making Rozenn turn her head sharply in surprise.
"The morning hours are long gone. We came to look fo ye to break your fast with his lordship, but upon seeing ye asleep, he ordered to let ye rest."
Rozenn's face turned a bright red as shame washed over her. Now he must think her lazy. She didnt usually sleep in so late. In fact, as a lady in waiting she had often had to rise before sunrise so that everything would be ready for the Queen. But the first night in a soft bed after a long journey had kept her under the covers far longer.
Again the old servant chuckled and shook her head as she helped Rozenn out of her nightgown and then reached for more water to help her wash her hair.
"Ye are no fearful Aenglishwoman. Not as cold and bitter as they are. Ye could almost be Scottish.", she said, showing her sympathy for the girl.
"Ahhh, such pretty hair. Long and silky as it should be. And as yellow as the sun. Ye know what his lordship calls ye now? Buidhe-ros. We are all adapting to it now.", the old lady talked away as she washed Rozenn's hair.
"What does it mean?", she finally asked. He had called her the same the night before without revealing the meaning to her.
"It means yellow rose, mylady. A very suiting name, if I am allowed to say."
Suddenly Rozenn had to smile. He had told her she as no flower, yet now he gave her such a name. Was that man incapable of making his mind up?

After the bath Rozenn got dressed and ate quickly to get to work. She wanted to catch up with the hours she had wasted sleeping. With Mary's help she quickly learned the hierarchy of the womenfolk of the castle, making it easier to assign tasks. The higher ranked ladies were sent to write the invitations for the wedding and pick out a suitable gown for Rozenn.
Although custom said to sew new sheets for the wedding night, Rozenn remembered Gavin's words about the limited wealth, so she simply ordered a pair of old sheets to be washed especially for the night.
In the kitchen she spoke for at least an hour with the cook about what dishes would be easy to make and would not require too much coin to be spent and too much cattle to be slaughtered.
She herself moved about assigning rooms for the various guests and watching over the preparations. All day she was just running up and around the castle so that everything was running smoothly. It was almost like being back in service to the Queen again.
In all the uproar she didnt even find the time to eat lunch, but she managed to ignore her rumbling stomach.
Close to evening she did finally sit down by the window of her room and sent everybody away.
All invitations had been sent out to the various corners of Scotland. The rooms for the guests had been assigned and prepared, her wedding gown was laid out on one of the trunks along with a matching veil and jewellery, the cook had his list of dishes and the stables had been prepared to fit more animals. Amongst all of the tasks there was only one she had not done. And that was to remove the painting of Gavin's wife. She felt that it had not been her place to do so. All in all, Rozenn was proud of herself, but now fatigue started to sink in as she leaned her head against her hand, looking out of the window at the green hills and valleys.

Last edited:
Gavin woke groggily with the rising sun. A long hard night behind him, he dressed to face the day. A medium fine linen tunic and his kilt donned, he listened at the door to Buidhe-ros' room.

Hearing no activity inside he stepped out and saw Dollag and Jean waiting outside Rozenn's room. "What are ya doing?" he asked.

Old Dollag rose and half curtsied, "Her ladyship is still sleeping, Gavin."

Gavin chuckled, "Dollag, my love, if I drug you from one end of the island to the other, forcing you to marry a stranger, and enemy, when you arrived, do you think you would sleep at all?"

The old lady looked at Gavin a moment her eyes narrowing, "When did you get some sense boy?"

Gavin's laughter filled the tower as he bent over kissing the old woman on the top of her head, saying "Just let her sleep until she wakes, and do something useful in the meanwhile, like start a bath for her."

~*~*~*~*~​

Gavin joined the other men for breakfast, planning out the day. It was decided, rather on the spur of the moment to fore go the feast for today instead taking sweet bread and heading out to hunt wild boar. Grabbing the boar spears the men in groups of five headed out to the woods.

Gavin, Robert and their companions stopped by Stephen's tent inviting him to attend the hunt, and were politely rebuffed. Shrugging Gavin lead his group into the woods for a day of 'hunting.'

Truth be told it was a lovely day for a walk in the forest, and for the first time in his life, there was no war, so the most dangerous thing in the forest was a boar. They talked about nothing all day long, quite loudly in fact.

Their volume so high that any boar that may have been in the area had ample opportunity to avoid them. As the day went on the others headed back to the tower leaving Gavin and Robert to finish the days hunt in the pleasurable embrace of not finding a boar.

The sun was beginning to set, as the two of them headed back, the easy silence of family resting between them, until a squeal rent the late afternoon sky, Robert's "Fuck" following closely.

Stepping on a piglet, the small creature began wailing in its ear piercing noise. Both men immediately lowered their spears standing side by side looking for the mother.

It wasn't a couple of seconds before she came barreling out of the underbrush at the two men. "My left" Gavin said as he braced the butt of the spear against the instep of his right foot. Gavin heard Robert turn then fall in a heavy load, the air gushing out of him heavily.

The sow's charge brought her to the tip of Gavin's spear. In an unusual, but not unheard of move, the sow flicked her head, knocking the spear's head away from her body.

Gavin heard the hellish noise from the piglets as Robert flailed about trying to get off them and out of the sow's way. Dropping the spear, Gavin yanked free his dagger. Wrapping his left arm under the sow's head and neck, Gavin knew he had one shot, if he missed, both men would be dead.

The sow's head turned left in response to his hand clutching at the right side of her neck. Gavin now hovered in the air a moment over her body, then he crashed into her, driving his dagger deep into her side. Blood spewed from the sow like a fountain in a town square as Gavin clutched to her neck and to the dagger in her side.

Moments later, the sow collapsed, Gavin still miraculously on top of her. Relief washed through his body as he realized that she lay dead beneath him. "Leave her here Gavin, we have to get you back." Robert said.

Gavin looked at Robert a moment like Robert had lost his wits, then the pain began. A fire starting in his left side, just above the hip. It's scorching heat began flooding his system causing his eyes to water in response.

Looking down, Gavin saw that the sow had managed to gore him some where along the way. "Damn that hurts." Gavin whispered.

Veterans of more battles than days of peace, Robert ripped part of his tunic off and shoved it against the puncture wound, trying to staunch the bleeding. "Come on, I got ya. Can't risk leaving you here, the boar may be around as well." Robert said, more for himself than Gavin. They both knew the risk of Gavin staying behind.

Slowly making as quick of time as they could, Gavin and Robert made their way back toward the tower. Running into Percy, Robert sent him forward to fetch the Friar, and get a wagon as they kept coming forward.

People were pouring from the tower as they arrived. Gavin had long since passed out, his feet moving more from a force of his and Robert's will than from musculature control.

Rozenn was lost in her own little world until suddenly Mary barged into her room, completely in tears.
Instantly Rozenn jumped up and walked over to the woman, placing her hands on her shoulders, trying to make her calm down.
"Lady Mary, what happened?", she asked, but it took the other several moments to stop the sobbing enough to even say one word.

"Gaving...he is...he is...."

It took Rozenn a moment to realize that her friend was talking about her future husband. All this time she had addressed him formally, never once using his real name.

"What is it? What about Lord Fenton?" This time her question was more urgent and laced with worry.

"He is dying.", Mary managed to say, before breaking into tears again. Rozenn was quick to hug the woman tightly, letting her cry her heart out. Moments later she heard many voices and steps echo down the hallway. Still holding Mary in her arms she moved to the door, peeking outside. There she saw a small procession of men, carrying Gavin to his room, followed by the old servant Dollag and Jean who was carrying several bottles and clean bandages.
Dollag opened the room and the men entered to place Gavin upon his bed.

The old servant noticed Rozenn in the door and nodded her over.
"Is he really....?", Rozenn started, but the old lady's kind smile interrupted her words.
"It is bad, but he has seen worse. If he's not intent on dying he will make it through. But I might need your help. Jean is always so squirmish when it comes o blood that she is no help at all.", the old servant said.
And so Rozenn ended up taking the bandages and bottles, while Jean led Mary away to calm her down.

The wound looked bad as he was loosing a lot of blood and Rozenn couldnt see how Dollag could be so optimistic.
"Hold him down men, while I pour this over the wound.", the old servant instructed after having cleaned the wound with Rozenn's help and everybody complied.
"What is that?", Rozenn asked curiously.
"Our strongest alcohol. It will make sure the wound wont get infected."
"But he is unconscious. There is no need to hold him down.", Rozenn pointed out, making the old lady chuckle.
"Believe me, lass, the pain could wake the dead."
And with that she pourred the alcohol on Gavin's wound. The men had to push him down forcefully as his body tried to bolt. It was incredible that it took six men to hold down only one.
"Now take this clean sheet and press it tightly against the wound. It will soak in the blood, but keep pressing.", Dollag instructed, while she prepared the bandages.
Rozenn did as instructed, holding the clean sheet down firmy, even once she started to feel his blood soak through, wetting her fingers slightly.
Dollag finished the procedure by bandaging the wound tightly.
"We will have to repeat this by morning. Until then someone should stay with him."
"I will. My room is just across this door...and I want to repay him for the kindness he has shown me. I am not his wife before God, but I wish to fulfill the duties of one nevertheless.", Rozenn spoke up.
The old servant smiled warmly and even the men were impressed by the Englishwoman who should have been their enemy.
"Very well. I will be in the kitchen should you need me, lass. I will bring some porridge up later."
And with those words Rozenn was left alone with her future husband. That the wedding would take place within two days was now out of the question. As she sat there, Rozenn started thinking of everything that needed to be done. The guests would have to be informed and Stephen would have to be sent home as well. Another messenger would bring the signed peace treaty to London later...But what if he didnt make it?
Would that break the peace treaty? What would happen to his clan? She remembered his words when he had said that he was the strength of his people. They needed him. And what would become of her? She was not part of the clan without the marriage, but her family would never take her back now.

Rozenn reached for his hand and squeezed it tightly.
"Don't die...", she whispered. "Your people here need you." She needed him as well. He had shown her what it was like to receive kindness and affection, what it was like to seem beautiful in someone's eyes who did not care about the whispers that followed her and what it was like to feel passion, even if it was just a small flame of it.

Late in the evening, Percy brought a disheveled older man into the chamber. As if it explained everything, Percy announced, "This is James, he is here to look at Gavin."

James bent over the wound after the bandaging was peeled away and nodded contentedly. "Yes, yes, this is good and clean. Someone did good work, mmmhmm." Taking a needle and thread from his pouch, James began working the needle into Gavin's skin, slowly stitching him up.

Once satisfied with the numerous stitches, James looked at Percy, "Ya say he's getting married?" Percy nodded and James continued, "Well, knowing Gavin, he won't allow a wound get in the way, just make sure he, uh," Glancing at the fair headed Rozenn and blushing, he finished, "rests as much as possible for a week or so."

~*~*~*~*~​

The sun was streaming through the window of Gavin's room, warming him. For a moment he wasn't sure where he was or when. There was a warmth on his right thigh as if a head were resting there. Gavin's palm was sweating fiercely, a faint feeling of a small soft hand had been there for hours.

From the position of the sun, Gavin knew it was somewhere in the mid afternoon, and with a groan pushed himself into a sitting position. His head swam from the loss of blood, his side hurt like all hades resided there. Leaning against the headboard of the large four poster bed Gavin panted for a couple of minutes, getting his breath and bearing back.

The door opened, Robert walking in. "Next time, don't miss the damn sow," he said flatly.

Gavin groaned, "I remember now. Killed her with my dagger didn't I?"

Robert nodded, "Yes, you did, and got yourself good and gored for the effort."

"Mary would never for-" Gavin was cut off as the door between his chamber and Rozenn's burst open, Rose banged into the room. Gavin's eyes embraced hers as he finished, "give me for allowing her to be a widow at such a young age."

His hand began sweating again and he fleetingly looked at it, then at her again. "Your hand in mine? Your head on my thigh?" He asked, voice soft and quiet.

Rozenn had been sitting by his side for hours, not moving away at all. Not even to eat. Her hand had rested in his firmly, refusing to let go. Eventually however fatigue had started to overcome her and she had fallen asleep, her head resting on his thigh. It was then that Mary and old Gollag decided that it was time for her to rest. Having shaken her awake they had guided her back into her own room, where she had changed into her nightgown and had quickly fallen asleep on the bed once more.

She slept till the late afternoon until male voices started to wake her. They werent coming from her own room however...Suddenly she bolted out of bed, not caring that her hair was still messy and that she was wearing nothing more than her nightgown. She ran into Gavin's chamber, stopping at the door for a moment as she saw him awake and sitting. The surprise soon changed into true relief and she looked almost ready to cry out of happiness.

"Your hand in mine? Your head on my thigh?"

All she could do was nod to his question.
"Lady Mary and Gollag insisted I return to my room once I fell asleep however.", she explained, walking to his side. She kneeled on the cold ground and grasped his hand again.
"I thank our Lord for keeping you alive. The entire castle seemed in despair and Lady Mary was impossible to calm down.", she said.

"I shall leave you two for now.", Robert said with a small smile, feasting his eyes on Rozenn for a moment, but not long enough to get Gavin mad at him.
He bowed shortly and then walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.
In the corridor he ran into Mary, who was personally bringing breakfast, but Robert simply put his hands on her shoulders and turned her around.
"Later.", was all he said with a smile, leading Mary down to the hall with him.

Once Robert was gone, Rozenn's attention returned to Gavin.
"How are you feeling now? Are you still in pain?", she inquired, wondering if there was anything she could do to make things more comfortable for him. Perhaps she was worrying too much, but she simply couldnt stop herself. "If there is anything I can do mylord, then please tell me so."

Last edited:
Gavin looked down at his intended bride and saw that the concern etched on her face had more to it than what the people in and around the tower would feel. Her hands clutched to his, as if she were drowning and he alone could pull her from the depths of the North Sea.

Gavin cupped her face with his free hand, his face screwing up in a grimace as he twisted his torso slightly. Tilting her head back ever so slightly, "Yes, Buidhe-ros, there is something I need you to do. Three things really."

"First, I need for you to dress. We canna have my kith and kin have even a thought of impropriety about you and I." Gavin's face split in a grin as he ribbed, "Though I admit, I am looking forward to the wedding, with each glance I get."

A smile spread further across Gavin's face as he said, "Good plan on not putting the painting up yet, but now that you know I am going to live, please do so." Seeing her look of confusion, "What man would die knowing that his future wife hadn't completed the one thing he had asked of her; putting Lilias' painting in the gallery."

"Then lastly, I need for you to come back and talk a while; before you have to go to start what ever it is you have to do before the wedding."

Rozenn was glad that he did have something to do for her. She had feared that he would insist to be alright and not to need anything. His tasks however made her look down with a blush.

"I am sorry. I should have dressed accordingly before coming to visit you.", she apologized as if only noticing just then that she wore nothing more than her nightgown. She had simply been overwhelmed when she had heard he had awoken.

At the second task she simply nodded. It was the one thing he had had to ask her for twice, because she had refused to complete it the first time. Now she would not fight his request, but demurely do it.

"All wedding preparations are completed. I simply put them to a halt for now.", Rozenn replied and told him of everything she had initiated.
"The cook knows what he has to do and the guest rooms are all prepared. For now the invitations have been written, but not all of them have been sent out yet. A priest has been informed and the hall will be in order. The maids will also prepare the bed for the night on the day."
She had worked hard to prove herself to him and now it came in rather useful as she would feel no rush in the wedding preparations.
"Mylord, are you sure that you are rested enough to go through with the wedding? It is to happen tomorrow. I am sure everyone, including the English King, will be more than understanding if everything is postponed for a few days."

Rozenn did not want to postpone anything. She wanted to become part of the Fenton clan and finally call this new place her home. She felt loved and welcomed in this place and never wanted to leave again.
Yet what she didnt want even more was for Gavin to push himself too hard and get hurt in the process.

"Mylord, are you sure that you are rested enough to go through with the wedding? It is to happen tomorrow. I am sure everyone, including the English King, will be more than understanding if everything is postponed for a few days." Rozenn asked.

Nodding, Gavin said, "Yes, tomorrow at dawn. Guests are like fish, after three days it is time for them to go. Some of our guests have been here three months." Gavin sat his eyes staring off into space. He fancied a moment of having Rozennrun her hands under his night shirt along his thighs. Wondered if her touch in bed would be as delicate as it was now, with her hand in his.

Looking back down at his intended, "Tomorrow it is. I would know what peace and spring time feel like together. I fear as long as Edward if your King, that there will not be so many seasons like this one."

Patting her hand gently, "Now go, do as I asked and send Robert back in to help me dress."

"Tomorrow it is then.", Rozenn repeated his intention and slowly stood up, reluctantly releasing his hand. "Just promise that you will still rest today, mylord.", she asked of him in a timid voice. She didnt want to ask for anything, but this was something she had to insist upon.

She returned to her chamber where she dressed on her own, putting on a very simple blue gown that was laced in the front so that she didnt need any assistance. Her hair was put in a very simple braid as well, which was carelessly tied with a dark blue ribbon.
She walked down to the hall and called Robert to return to Gavin, while she took Mary to her side. Although most things were ready, they still had some work to do and Rozenn was intent on helping the women of the castle with the last preparations.
The last invitations were sent out quickly, while the last sheets for the guest chambers were washed and dried. Rozenn even finally followed Gavin's order to carry Lilias' painting to the gallery. Although she wanted to sit by his side for a while, the constant visitors and remaining duties soon chased her out of the chamber.
So in the end Rozenn and Mary were helping the cook in the kitchen, who was more than shocked to find the future Lady of the castle chopping vegetables with the rest of the servants. A lot of food had to be prepared so every pair of hands was needed and Rozenn wasnt shy to get her hands dirty.

"Mylady, has your mother prepared you for the life of a wife?", Gollag asked as she was sitting next to Rozenn.
The young woman shook her head. "No, she was too eager to see me go. But I have lived at court, where I have unwillingly learned a thing or two. Courtiers are not very good at hiding their intentions and when the wine flows most people lose their inhibitions.", she explained with a small blush. She had seen her fair share of couples giving in to their lust in the corridors of the palace, though she had always quickly walked away from the scene, still haunted by their moans and groans of pleasure.
"I will try not to disappoint in my wedding night."
Gollag laughed heartily at those words and even young Jane behind her chuckled.
"It is hard for a pretty lass like ye not to please. But I am glad you know what is coming for ye. I was worried I'd have to give the talk a mother should have given."

She only saw Gavin again in the evening when he found the strength to move down to the hall to join them for dinner, even though Rozenn would have prefered if he stayed in bed.
As she sat next to him and pourred him some wine she couldnt help but ask full of worry:
"Are you sure you are alright. Your side still seems to cause you pain."
He came down for appearanes, to assure his clan that their Lord was alright, but his bride was sure that he could have done so without straining his body. Even if dinner without him by her side would have felt empty.

It was a day Lucifer himself served up. Gavin's side ached all day long, the pain intermittently shooting through his body as he tried carrying out most of his 'normal' duties.

Not that he knew one whit what normal was.

The problem with being a war time leader is that it is a different skill set to be a peacetime leader. Skills Gavin had long neglected, if indeed he ever did have them. Listening to trifle crap all day long was wearing on him as much or more than the sow's attack.

Perhaps, he thought he was just a little irritable because of the injury, and next week none of this would seem so bad.

Two things needed immediate attention: The bridge over the Tyne had been weakened to slow the English down and needed to be repaired, and the English tore apart the communal oven in East Linton. He barely had the resources to do either of the jobs, much less both at once.

He decided, the oven would have to be fixed first. He ordered it to be torn down completely and restored using the existing bricks if possible, and if not, then they would have to make it from rubble around the tower and town. It wouldn't be as pretty as a brick oven, but arguably more a part of the town. He also decided, to the dismay of the elders of East Linton, to tax its use, at least temporarily. Money was in shorter supply than men at the moment.

Percy and Robert spent part of the day speculating about the future Lady Fenton's more obvious assets. Gavin shut it down quickly, irritably, siting that she was to be his wife, not his dog. Chastised appropriately the two men fell into an easy banter about Gavin and his lack of hunting prowess, letting a sow rip him apart as he had.

It was a much safer, and appropriate topic, so Gavin suffered it. All day long it seemed.

By dinner time the last thing he wanted to hear or talk about was his injury and yet as he settled with a painful moan next to his intended bride, she asked, "Are you sure you are alright. Your side still seems to cause you pain."

The concern in her eyes stilled the retort he was about to give her. Sighing, "It hurts like hell; my bandage needs changed," waving his hand indolently toward the people in front of them, "and the last thing I want to do is to entertain these people."

Touching the back of her hand softly as she put the goblet of wine before him, "The only good part of the day was..." His voice trailed off

Last edited:
He was in pain and he was in a bad mood. A dangerous combination in a man as Rozenn knew from experience. Still, she was trying his best to ease things for Gavin. As long as she was entertaining him in conversation, nobody else would bother him.
"I shall change your bandages once dinner is finished. Gollag showed me how to do it, so I will not require help.", she said, but suddenly froze for a moment as if she had caught herself saying something stupid. "That is if you dont mind me doing it, mylord."
She had simply presumed that it would be her task to take care of him.
His hand on hers had felt warm, but eventually they had to eat and let go of each other, yet nobody in the room could miss the attraction that was floating between Rozenn and Gavin. It was rather comforting for them to see that their Lord's arranged bride was more warmhearted and charming as they had never expected her to be and so they left the couple mostly alone.

Rozenn stayed as long as they needed to, but when the after dinner drinks started, she placed her hand on Gavin's arm as a clear sign that it was time to retreat. Politely they rose and left the company to retreat to their chambers.
"I will fetch the bandages, so just sit, mylord, and let me work."
She was careful to take his linen shirt off, trying her best not to stare too much at his muscular chest and shoulders. It was tempting to run her hands over his skin, just to feel him, but she controled herself perfectly, just focusing on the task at hand. She worked swiftly and securely, even after having bandaged him only once before. Rozenn was a fast learner, that much was certain.
"You should rest now. Sleep will do you good, seeing as you will have a long day tomorrow. After the wedding feast you will be yearning for your bed to rest.", she spoke softly as she cleaned up, getting ready to leave him.

Her hand on his wrist sent a fiery bolt through his body, as his breath caught momentarily at her slight touch. Standing unsteadily he followed her slowly back to his chambers, where she gently removed his tunic and undershirt to get to the blood stained bandage. He could see her eyes roam across his torso briefly and thought for a second about posing for her. The mere thought of straining his body created a shot of pain that forced a grimace from him.

Her touch tentative danced along his skin, creating a current of electricity that rolled across him, much like a thunderstorm at night on the top of the tower. The purse of her lips an invitation to ravage them as she concentrated on removing the bandage from his stomach. Gavin felt the beginning stir of his loins, the proximity of this woman, his wife in less than 12 hours.

She finished saying, "You should rest now. Sleep will do you good, seeing as you will have a long day tomorrow. After the wedding feast you will be yearning for your bed to rest."

Clutching her wrist, "Perhaps the bed, my lady. But no rest." His eyes captured her green fields, his intensity boring into her. Raising her hand to his face, Gavin turned her palm up, kissing the middle of it gently, then whispered, "Good night Buidhe-ros."

Gavin laid back in his bed almost immediately fell into a restful still sleep.

"Perhaps the bed, my lady. But no rest."

His words made her cheek turn a slight pink as he hinted to their wedding night. His soft lips on her hand didnt help the situation at all and Rozenn would have looked away if his eyes werent holding his. It was simply impossible to look away.

"Good night Buidhe-ros."

Even after his words it was difficult to look away and leave. But his fatigue was undeniable and soon he laid back on the bed. After making sure he was comfortable, Rozenn left him to return to her own room.

The next day she was woken early by Mary and Jane who quickly prepared a bath for her and then moved on to prepare her for her wedding. They bathed her in scented water, tied her hair up and dressed her in a silvery gown, embroidered with golden threads and then added a golden circlet and a silvery white veil to her hair.
"Ye look like a Princess, mylady.", Jane said in awe as Mary and her examined their work.
When Rozenn stepped out she noticed that the entire castle was already up and about, receiving guests and telling them the way to the chapel of the castle.
"It is time.", Mary whispered as she led Rozenn there as well. Stephen, who had waited patiently for that day was there to receive her. He would give her over instead of her father.

The entire thing happened so fast that Rozenn wasnt fully aware of what was going on until Stephen placed her hand in Gavin's and then stepped away. The wedding was simple with few guests. Nothing compared to the weddings of her sisters, but in Rozenn's mind it seemed perfect. She looked at Gavin and smiled softly.
"You look better than yesterday, mylord. I am glad.", she whispered, before they turned towards the priest.

Gavin awoke to Robert's hands shaking him gently, "It's time to get up." For a second Gavin stared at Robert and thought about rolling over to pass back out. Then he remembered, today was the wedding.

Groaning he groggily sat up, Robert pulling him up the last portion. "How do you feel Gavin?" he asked.

"Like I got gored two days ago."
he muttered.

A sponge bath and dressing, Gavin made his way to the chapel a little early. "Get my claymore," Gavin said to Robert.

The sword was brought to Gavin and he placed the point down, between his feet using it to steady himself. It would not do to pass out from the strain in the middle of the wedding.

Angelic like, Rozenn swept into the chapel, her eyes on him as she walked down the aisle to him. "You look better than yesterday, mylord. I am glad."

He took her hand into his,then pulled down slightly until she understood what she wanted. Before her sat a kneeling bench, she glanced at it then at him. Gavin nodded encouragingly to her, whispering, "It's okay."

Nodding slightly, Rozenn lowered herself until her knees rest on the bench. Gavin took a length of gold ribbon twined around a leather bracelet of sorts from his pocket. Bracing himself he rest the claymore against his side as he twined the leather around her wrist and then his wrist. This was followed by the gold ribbon which he tied around their wrists as well.

Looking down at her, his voice rich and soft, "God has cleared the way for you to come to our lives. The kith and kin of Clan Fenton welcome you with open arms. I welcome you with an open heart. As the leather signifies the strength of our marriage, I will be the strength of the land. As the gold ribbon signifies the warmth and prosperity of the Clan, you will be its heart."

Cupping her face with his free hand, Gavin swayed ever so slightly, "As you kneel before me today, my wife, I accept you with out reservation, with out regard to treaty or dowry."

"You are God's second gift to me, I shall cherish, protect, and guide you until death parts us."

Last edited:
Rozenn left herself completely to his mercy, unaware of the Scottish wedding traditions. After a short hesitation she kneeled on the bench, looking up to him as their hands were connected by the threads. His words sounded honest and true and made a warmth spread within her that made her heart beat faster.

"I thank you, mylord. And herewith I vow that I will be your wife in every right, that I will give you and the clan all the love and strength I have, that I will only ever bring you honor and never shame. I promise that I will bow to your wishes and pleasures and that I will one day bear you a son and heir to the clan."

Although her voice was soft, it was strong enough to reach everyone within the chapel. The priest was quite pleased with those words and told Rozenn to stand as he placed his hand over Gavin's and Rozenn's locked ones.
"In the Name of the Lord it is my happiness to pronounce ye now husband and wife. Stay together throughout good and bad times. Lady Rozenn Clayburn, honor your husband and obey his words. Lord Gavin Fenton, protect and care for your wife whatever happens."
With a nod he allowed them to turn around and present themselves to the people as a married couple, who greeted them with cheers and clapping.

Together they walked out of the chapel and into the great hall, taking their places at the head of the table, while all the guests followed. The eating and drinking started and everyone was merry, even though Rozenn and Gavin did not participate at the dances.

The dancing went on and on, in a never ending whirl of legs, arms and laughter. Gavin spent the time companionably sitting with Rozenn. They talked about the differences in her father's hall verses his hall. She talked about fashion differences and floral arrangements, and everything else under the sun and moon, all of which was to keep her mind occupied. Off of the subject that lay ahead of them both.

Gavin in part was annoyed that he couldn't dance, he was partially annoyed that he couldn't dance. No way the stitching on his side would hold up to that. He did though want to swing Buidhe-ros around to hear her laugh and not almost shudder in fear.

For that matter he was wondering how it was going to hold up to the bed chamber.

Slowly, ponderously, Gavin stood. Once upright he extended his hand to Rozenn. "Come Buidhe-ros, it is time."

Rozenn talked without a break. Not only to entertain Gavin who was tied to his chair, but also to stop herself from thinking. This was the one night most maidens feared, yet longed for at the same time. Rozenn remembered Gavin's muscular chest and how desperately she had wanted to run her hands over it. Now she would most likely get a chance, but it still scared her in a way. So she talked, talked and talked without realizing what slipped over her tongue.

"Come Buidhe-ros, it is time."

His words made her freeze and for a moment her smile vanished off her face. So fast? She had ignored the different traditions. In England the bride was accompanied by her mother and her female companions to the bedchamber, where they undressed her and only later did the husband join them.

Still, with a nod she took his hand and they rose together. The music stopped for a second as everybody turned towards them, following them with their eyes as the wedded couple headed out of the hall and up towards their chambers.
"Be gentle to her!", Percy couldnt help but call after them, for which Robert hit him across the head, though both laughed.

Up in the chamber, Rozenn was shivering like a leaf.
"I...I still have to change your bandages.", she reminded him, buying herself some time to calm down. Like the night before she helped him to take his tunic and shirt off, just that something in the back of her mind screamed that he wouldnt be the only one undressing.
Concentrating on her work was impossible. She could feel his eyes on her as her fingers trailed over his skin.
"Is it not too tight, mylord?", she asked as she finished tying the bandages, daring to look up at him. His gaze caught her, holding her eyes to his.
There was desire in his eyes, passion and longing. Seeing all that made her heart beat faster and a warmth spread through her that she hadnt felt before.

Gavin could see her nervousness, he need to delay, to stall. She changed his bandage, tightening it so tight that he almost passed out from the pain. After she tightened the bandage down, Rozenn stayed in place kneeling before him. Her eyes met his eventually and they sat there looking at each other.

His hunger was clear in his eyes, and her realization of that hunger, and its implication spread across her face like the blush that came with it. His hands reached out gently cupping her face, tilting it toward his. Leaning forward with a low grunt, Gavin's lips sought out Rozenn's.

Softly his lips demanded hers. His tongue flicking across her lips, teasing them open more and more. As her breath caught in her throat, his tongue slid into her mouth. Urgently exploring her mouth it flicked and flittered like a hummingbird inside her.

Rozenn sat like a statue as he reached for her. She moved at his will, tilting her head slightly and only once his lips touched hers did she suddenly bolt to life as an intense emotion rushed through her.
She allowed her lips to brush against his before she felt his tongue on her lips, probing for entrance, which she was hesitant to give at first. Suddenly she needed to draw a breath and in this moment she felt him slide into her. Although she expected to be repulsed, it felt amazing. A fire had started within her that made her feel more alive than ever before.

Experimenting, she allowed her own tongue to explore his mouth, brushing against his in the process, while her hands slowly wandered up his arms to rest on his shoulders for balance and support.
The kiss was getting more and more passionate and Rozenn began to feel lightheaded as if she had been drinking too much wine. It was a sweet feeling she didnt want to give up on. Now she understood why so many maidens used to sneak behind the columns in the palace in London to kiss their sweethearts.

She stoked his fire as her hands slid across his chest and onto his shoulders. His skin rippled beneath her slight touch as her tongue found its life and began dueling his tongue.

One hand reached behind her yanking the blue ribbon free of her hair, allowing it to cascade over her neck and shoulders. "mmm, that's better" he whispered.

Gavin's other hand slid along her arm to her shoulder, then he rolled it down to her side, his wrist pressing against her breast.

She felt him untie her hair, letting it fall down her back before he returned to examine her body with his hand. Although there was fabric separating his fingers from her skin, she felt her felsh prickle where his touch had been. His wrist on her breast made her breath quicken ever so slightly as they were still lost in a kiss.

Feeling emboldened by the sensations rushing through her, Rozenn allowed her hands to do what they had wished to do earlier. She explored his broad shoulders his back, his muscular arms and his chest. She wasa careful not to go too low, fearing she might accidentaly press his injury and cause him pain. Her touch was generally light as a feather as she was simply brushing him with her fingertips.

"This is nice, mylord...", she whispered as they pulled apart to breathe for a moment before their lips met again, not able to be apart for too long.

His breathing came is small fast gales, not able to get enough wind in his lungs. The teasing light touch of her fingertips dancing along his chest kept him off balance as her hands became ever so slightly more daring.

He felt his manhood reacting to her touch. The bulbous head of his cock forcing the fabric of his kilt up and up. She broke the kiss, whispering "This is nice, mylord..." before they met up again in heated passion.

His hand moved along the silkken fabric of her dress, cupping her heavy breast, squeezing firmly. Rozenn's moan filled the room as Gavin moved his hand gently up and down, teasing her nipple through the silk and her undergarment.

His hands became more daring also as they started to focus on her breasts, sending more and more shivers through her body. Suddenly Rozenn was annoyed with the fabric that was separating his hands from her flesh, but she was so lost in the haze of passion that she didnt even think of removing them herself.

Her entire body was reacting to him somehow. Her nipples hardened against her dress and she felt a heat in her womanhood that she had never noticed before. A longing that was unknown, frightening, yet so beautiful that she didnt want to hide it.
Her hands explored his body with more confidence now, feeling his muscles under her palm as she felt his breath quicken as well. Was this lust? Passion? All the things the other handmaidens giggled about when they spoke of their favourite gentlemen? Whatever it was, Rozenn wanted more of it and she showed Gavin with the kiss they were sharing. She was giving herself to him, willingly and completely.

Back