Has Anyone Else Seen this Scam?

LoquiSordidaAdMe

Literotica Guru
I got a Private Feedback message in my email this morning. It claims to be from a literary agent who is a fan of my work, but it's very unspecific and reads like a form letter. Here's the text:

I am a real fan of your longer works on Literotica and curious if you're interested in trying your hand at novel length fiction. I'm an agent at the Irene Goodman Literary Agency. You can learn more about our agency at our website www.irenegoodman.com . We're a full service agency that's been around since the seventies and we represent authors in all genres. I hope you'll reach out as I'd welcome the chance to talk.

Has anyone else gotten one of these? Is this just the latest scam to come along? I'm wary of clicking the link or replying to the email. I mean, I really should know better right? I want to just ignore this, but my ego keeps asking "what if?" If other people have gotten this too, I can tell my ego to sit down and shut up.

Scam? I was ging to send a cheque once the bank told me that the funds that my Nigerian Prince was going to wire me arrived.

Prince Naboo looks just like Will Smith, and he is going to marry me you know.

I got a Private Feedback message in my email this morning. It claims to be from a literary agent who is a fan of my work, but it's very unspecific and reads like a form letter.

Yeah, actual literary agents don't go e-mailing authors out of the blue and asking them to write novels. You generally have to send them a query letter. This is probably a version of a Philippines-based publishing and marketing scam that's been making the rounds, where the scammer impersonates someone from an actual literary agency and then charges you for worthless services.

Irene Goodman is a respectable mainstream agent. It would, yes, though, be very peculiar for them to be trolling for authors to represent at Literotica. If you check the interest out, don't click on the URL offered. Goggle "Irene Goodman" yourself and go to the agency Web site. And if you want to check the interest out and a name was given in the message, query that name through your separate visit to the Web site. It would be mighty strange if this turned out to be legitimate, though.

Irene Goodman is a respectable mainstream agent. It would, yes, though, be very peculiar for them to be trolling for authors to represent at Literotica. If you check the interest out, don't click on the URL offered. Goggle "Irene Goodman" yourself and go to the agency Web site. And if you want to check the interest out and a name was given in the message, query that name through your separate visit to the Web site. It would be mighty strange if this turned out to be legitimate, though.

Yeah, actual literary agents don't go e-mailing authors out of the blue and asking them to write novels. You generally have to send them a query letter. This is probably a version of a Philippines-based publishing and marketing scam that's been making the rounds, where the scammer impersonates someone from an actual literary agency and then charges you for worthless services.

I had to seek out mine. I have never had an agent or publisher reach out to me, especially if they knew that I had work submitted on free sites. I imagine if my publisher knew that I was submitting short stories on here, it would end badly. I want to say it's a scam. But KeithD makes a good point about checking it out before you dismiss it.

I had to seek out mine. I have never had an agent or publisher reach out to me, especially if they knew that I had work submitted on free sites. I imagine if my publisher knew that I was submitting short stories on here, it would end badly. I want to say it's a scam. But KeithD makes a good point about checking it out before you dismiss it.

I connected with Uruk Press through my stories on Literotica, but they were (and are) very definitely a small press serving very particular niches. No agency or major publisher has ever reached out to me b/c of my stories on Literotica. Nor do I expect them to. What's happening here is almost definitely a scam.

I've had two publishers reach out to me from Literotica and prove to be legitimate. Both erotica publishers, though, not an agent, let alone a major mainstream agent.

My in with a publisher came from an editor who was pointed to one of my Non-erotic stories by a fan I know well. The story was in line with a theme they was looking for. I would have taken it for a joke or a scam if I hadn't know the fan involved so well.

You might be surprised at who all actually read at Lit. Write here also.

I don't think literary agents beat the bushes looking for authors. But they can be obtained if one goes about it logically. This method is effective:

Rent the van, you want an inconspicuous late model white one without windows. Be sure it doesn't have anything memorable like bumper stickers, damage, or out of state plates. Wear a simple disguise, pay cash, and use a fake name and address, for panache I use the local police precinct house's address.

Obtain chloroform from a chemist in a neighboring town, again pay cash and wear big eyeglasses and a wig or something. On the way home buy duct tape at a different establishment, and gum sole shoes at a third.

Wear dark clothing, sweats are good because you can wear something else underneath and they are baggy. Figure out which local bars literary agents hang out at and park behind your quarry. Remember it's easier to drag an unconscious person backwards than it is ...

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm pretty sure this is spam at best. I figure the worst that can happen if I respond is that my penname email account gets put on a list and slammed with more spam. Not sure I want to put up with that.

I may set up a burner email just to see what happens. I am a little curious. Maybe I could share the results and call it a "service to the community." Not tonight though. It's been a long week and I just don't have the energy.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm pretty sure this is spam at best. I figure the worst that can happen if I respond is that my penname email account gets put on a list and slammed with more spam. Not sure I want to put up with that.

I may set up a burner email just to see what happens. I am a little curious. Maybe I could share the results and call it a "service to the community." Not tonight though. It's been a long week and I just don't have the energy.

In this case the website link does seem to be legit (googled them, website matches the one you posted, checked website registration, it's been around for years and years). They have a contact form and individual agent pages, some of which include addresses for contacting those agents.

I'd suggest contacting them through one of those two options (definitely not a FB reply!) to ask whether the contact you got was genuine. If it is, great. If not, they will probably appreciate knowing that somebody's pretending to be them, and it gives them the opportunity to add a scam warning to the site.

My Car Warranty needs to be renewed.

I am sure that is not a scam. They simple want to send you some money to help you expand your career. Just send them you bank account information and authorize them to deposit and withdraw as needed. You will be rich soon.

I was going to do some research about the company and see if they would except any of my banking information. But I don't have time right now because I just got a call and it sounds like my car warranty needs to be renewed.

In this case the website link does seem to be legit (googled them, website matches the one you posted, checked website registration, it's been around for years and years). They have a contact form and individual agent pages, some of which include addresses for contacting those agents.

I'd suggest contacting them through one of those two options (definitely not a FB reply!) to ask whether the contact you got was genuine. If it is, great. If not, they will probably appreciate knowing that somebody's pretending to be them, and it gives them the opportunity to add a scam warning to the site.

Yeah, I suggested that up the line. Didn't seem to sink in.

..I'd suggest contacting them through one of those two options (definitely not a FB reply!) to ask whether the contact you got was genuine.

Yeah, I suggested that up the line. Didn't seem to sink in.

You are absolutely right, Keith. I read your first response, thought "Oh, that's a good idea," and then completely forgot it by the time I'd read through the rest of the responses. Like I said, it's been a long week. So thank you for the reminder, and thank you, Bramblethorn, for the same suggestion. It's a better idea than what I landed on, and it's what I think I'm going to do.

If they sent you an email address that ends with @IreneGoodman.com, it may be legitimate. I dived in and looked at their agents, and the ones that are accepting submissions have an email address listed - and it's a company one. If it's not @IreneGoodman.com, then likely it's a scam.

But you never know. Like Cyrano, I have a book thru Uruk Press, and more on the way, and they approached me thru Literotica. I have an SF novel I'm working on for a start-up SF publisher who approached me after reading my Unity Mitford stuff on Baen's Bar (Baen Books). So it does happen, but in my experience, it's the startup publishers looking for authors.

But you never know. Like Cyrano, I have a book thru Uruk Press, and more on the way, and they approached me thru Literotica. I have an SF novel I'm working on for a start-up SF publisher who approached me after reading my Unity Mitford stuff on Baen's Bar (Baen Books). So it does happen, but in my experience, it's the startup publishers looking for authors.

I had multiple books through Uruk Press (much love to Pippa, keeping a small press going through all this shit is a genuinely heroic achievement), but overall, I concur with the assessment here.

I remember years ago, there was a post on here from a Lit writer saying he got an email from a movie studio or something, inquiring about his work. The email was made to look legit.

But he also saw his co-workers laughing in the background and suspected it was them.

I've got to admit that it's a pretty funny joke.

I remember years ago, there was a post on here from a Lit writer saying he got an email from a movie studio or something, inquiring about his work. The email was made to look legit.

But he also saw his co-workers laughing in the background and suspected it was them.

I've got to admit that it's a pretty funny joke.

And there is your April Fools Contest idea

Well I'll be damned. They wrote back.

I followed KeithD and Bramblethorn's advice and reached out through the "contact" form on the Irene Goodman Literary Agency website. It took about a week, but the woman who sent the original Feedback message wrote back.

Apparently I'm getting cynical in my old age, because I was certain this was fake.

So thank you KeithD and Bramblethorn for convincing me to take a chance. I owe both of you a beer.

I followed KeithD and Bramblethorn's advice and reached out through the "contact" form on the Irene Goodman Literary Agency website. It took about a week, but the woman who sent the original Feedback message wrote back.

Apparently I'm getting cynical in my old age, because I was certain this was fake.

So thank you KeithD and Bramblethorn for convincing me to take a chance. I owe both of you a beer.

Well, there you go! You weren't the only cynical one. Congratulations.

Now I'm insulted that I'm not good enough for the scammers.

But congratulations, LoquiSordidaAdMe, you actually went mainstream!

Wow. I'm both gobsmacked and delighted for you. Good on you.

Neat! I am pleasantly surprised.

Back