Grandpa’s “daughter”

Brandnewbuddy

Really Really Experienced
Originally I was thinking a more definitively supernatural twist but instead I’ll just leave that ambiguous.

Premise: late 1800s early 1900s a family lives on a massive farm, the type where each branch of the family has a seperate house to manage a different area of it and aside from family meetings, church, and Sunday chicken dinner, it’s not uncommon for the branches to not see each other all week. Grandpa’s the patriarch but with his advanced age he only really makes decisions from his home or at Sunday dinner.

Only thing is, one Sunday Grandpa doesn’t show up. The family goes to his house and finds him happily chatting with a young woman who none of the family know. All Grandpa says is that the woman is his newly adopted daughter and she’ll be living at his home caring for him. She won’t be attending church but she is otherwise expected to be invited to every family function.

His blood related children and their spouses are of course shocked. No one saw the girl arrive and no one knows of the family she claims to hail from.

The grandkids though, who at most might have had a quick guilty roll in the hay with a cousin are fascinated by her. She’s a real beauty and her warm demeanor is a stark contrast to the austere farm life. Soon they (man and woman alike?, and some of their parents are itching to get with this new young woman. Soon people are finding excuses to slip away to talk to her and flirt with her and soon the entire farm is in disarray.

Originally I was thinking a more definitively supernatural twist but instead I’ll just leave that ambiguous.

Premise: late 1800s early 1900s a family lives on a massive farm, the type where each branch of the family has a seperate house to manage a different area of it and aside from family meetings, church, and Sunday chicken dinner, it’s not uncommon for the branches to not see each other all week. Grandpa’s the patriarch but with his advanced age he only really makes decisions from his home or at Sunday dinner.

Only thing is, one Sunday Grandpa doesn’t show up. The family goes to his house and finds him happily chatting with a young woman who none of the family know. All Grandpa says is that the woman is his newly adopted daughter and she’ll be living at his home caring for him. She won’t be attending church but she is otherwise expected to be invited to every family function.

His blood related children and their spouses are of course shocked. No one saw the girl arrive and no one knows of the family she claims to hail from.

The grandkids though, who at most might have had a quick guilty roll in the hay with a cousin are fascinated by her. She’s a real beauty and her warm demeanor is a stark contrast to the austere farm life. Soon they (man and woman alike?, and some of their parents are itching to get with this new young woman. Soon people are finding excuses to slip away to talk to her and flirt with her and soon the entire farm is in disarray.
Im most interested in original supernatural idea and if that's connected with her not attending church

Im most interested in original supernatural idea and if that's connected with her not attending church
In that case the original idea was that she’s an animal spirit like a Nekomata or a kitsune (while Japanese in origin I figure the family just calls her a spirit or a haint): appears human but has some animal features (think a catgirl). Alternatively she could be a succubus but I figured that was a bit too far and it would be more interesting if grandpa really does see her as a daughter and wants affection but not sex from her.

Since gramps is the patriarch, the family has to obey and let her stay but she can’t go to church since they’re terrified about the townsfolk finding out about her and they aren’t sure what would happen if she tried to enter a church. Grandpa agrees but hates leaving his new daughter alone so he will send grandkids he trusts to go check on her, unaware of their carnal desires

As for the girl herself she is intelligent but doesn’t talk much and depending on who is around plays up her animalistic traits.

I figure whether by decree of a curse or a matter of mischief, she’s there to cause chaos to the family.

This is all really good stuff. Maybe the avatar of some ancient pagan goddess. Grandpa was once pagan when he was young. He converted to Christianity before marrying a Christian woman, but in his heart, he still holds the old beliefs. This granddaughter has come to make his last days sweet and take him to the Summerland. The rest of this family is entranced by this woman's timeless beauty and some are seduced by her ways.

This story could also be a very good excuse to do a little study into Wicca or paganism, which is quite fascinating. Just to give the story a little interest.

Last edited:
Back