Friendliest Category

I'm starting to see why 8letters doesn't reply to comments on his threads. Some of ya'll are like the guys who comment on your stories and think you should have written your story to fit their kink.

Probably, if I were to change anything (aside from the problem that Bramblethorn pointed out) I'd change the title of the thread to "Which categories give the highest ratings?" That was actually the question I was asking.

I'm contemplating a ghost story, possibly for an upcoming contest. I've written two ghost stories, placing one in Erotic Horror and one in Novels and Novellas. The story that went to EH was a very nice little story, but I think it's under-appreciated. Among the comments I've received on and off line was the comment that it would have done better in NonHuman. I never considered putting it in NonHuman.

This certainly improves the odds that, if I write the story, it'll go to NonHuman.

I've run into that one myself. I've written two ghost stories for Halloween contest and put them in Erotic Horror. While they got decent scores, I had commenters chastise me that ghost stories were inappropriate for the category.

I've run into that one myself. I've written two ghost stories for Halloween contest and put them in Erotic Horror. While they got decent scores, I had commenters chastise me that ghost stories were inappropriate for the category.
Really? Where else would you put a ghost story? That's the category for supernatural.

I wrote a haunted house story for last Halloween 'The Old House on Drury Lane' and put it mature, since the couple had a quite an age difference.

I got a nasty comment that they didn't like reading ghost stories, even if it was for Halloween, and they said the story deserved a 2.

If you can't put a ghost story in Erotic Horror, or anywhere else, I'm not sure where it's supposed to go.

Just adding- in my opinion ghosts are human. What is a ghost if not a disembodied human consciousness?
What about vampires, women who turn into leopards, wolves, or plants from other worlds? Okay, the last one is definitely nonhuman. I guess succubus are nonhuman though they can take human form.

What about vampires, women who turn into leopards, wolves, or plants from other worlds? Okay, the last one is definitely nonhuman. I guess succubus are nonhuman though they can take human form.

It seems to me that any of those could be appropriate in either category, depending on the nature of the story, not some arbitrary designation.

Reminds me of the commenter who told me that I should not have submitted Queen of the Roller Derby to Novels and Novellas, because the characters are lesbians. Like you can't write a novel about lesbians.

Like you can't write a novel about lesbians
o_O what a pity nobody told the Pulitzer prize committee in time. It's going to be so awkward when they strip The Color Purple of its award.

Well I guess those characters were bisexual. Can novels have bisexuals?

if I were to change anything (aside from the problem that Bramblethorn pointed out) I'd change the title of the thread to "Which categories give the highest ratings?" That was actually the question I was asking.
Why don't you? It's the question you were asking, and it's the one you got an answer to, as well.

2 pages in might be a little late but it'll be here forever.

Just adding- in my opinion ghosts are human. What is a ghost if not a disembodied human consciousness?
That's what I think. My ghosts are all as real as I can make them--maybe more than most of my characters because they all have something in their past that stuck them on the mortal plane.

I've considered Romance as an alternative. Ghost stories have been posted in Romance and some of their receptions have been rocky.

I'm keenly aware the self I am, is not the self I once was, and the self I am, isn't the self I desire to be. And I'm not talking about the fat self and formerly thin self, tough in the future, I'm hopeful the thin self might return.
Millie, it's your keen self-awareness that makes you so special. šŸ˜˜

I think you need to do some more calculating to find a meaningful number rather than the 15th most popular story.
I'd suggest using the random spinner and gather a sample of a few dozen stories in each category.

E&V may rank near the bottom of the list, but from my experience it's one of the more open-minded and pleasant categories in which to publish.
I came here to say this as well. And not only friendly, but just about every subject from other categories can be found there, and is accepted there.

Rather than looking at the highest ratings you could look at the lowest ones (25th percentile say). That will tell you which categories have the toxic readers camping out.

Back