Editing insight for challenging fan fiction

ChasPHX

Experienced
Hi everyone. First (long!) post on these forums. Just wanted to make a general comment before diving in.

From what I’ve seen so far, this place – and specifically AH – is full of supportive, open-minded, positive people. Seems rare for such a large group of users on a platform that appears to have very light moderation. It’s been a pleasure reading through the posts.

Now down to business…

I’ve seen a few threads that have tackled the question of non-consent and the, uh, “nuances” of the rules on this site. I thought I’d share my experience with the publication of my story Michael Myers Is Mine. Maybe it’ll help other new writers or shed some light on the perspective of the site’s editor(s).

First thing is, no matter what other story elements it contains, I figured my story (I’ll just call it MMM for short) could only go in one category: Celebrities & Fan Fiction. For anyone not familiar, Michael Myers is the masked killer in the Halloween movie franchise. So, like, horror. Violence and killing and stuff. Plus copyright.

Now, from what I’ve seen of C&FF category, that’s already a challenging mix. I knew I should probably expect a) low readership vs other categories b) the possibility of negative comments for colouring outside the lines vs expectations for the category, and c) the possibility it would never be published in the first place.

My first submission was sent back, with a nice constructive note from the editors. Laurel & Manu’s names were both on the note, but from what I understand reading these forums, Laurel is the sole editor, so I’ll just use her name. I wish I’d captured the exact words of the rationale for rejection, but now that the story is live, that history looks like it’s purged from my author’s account (too bad – that history would be nice to have).

Anyway, Laurel cited the rule prohibiting non-consent and/or mind control in the C&FF category, which I knew and totally get (liability). The notion of consent was pretty murky in my original draft. It’s not technically non-consent – it’s simulated non-consent. Roleplay. I had mentioned that in the note to the administrators, just in case. But it didn’t make it through.

In response to the editorial guidance, I added these two paragraphs:
“I flash him my widest and wickedest smile. The one that says, ‘Bring it cowboy.’ The one that says, ‘Do it. I dare you.’

“In other words, I just gave Michael fucking Myers my enthusiastic consent to do… whatever it was he was going to do. To take his pleasure. Because I knew sure as shit I’d be taking mine. We are willing participants in this game. Now it’s time to play.”​

So that’s how I addressed the consent issue. I did not get an editorial note about the violence in the story, though I read somewhere on the forums there is a prohibition against the association of violence with sexual acts. I haven’t seen that rule myself, or at least I can’t recall seeing it. And to be clear, there is no “onscreen” murder in MMM, just reference to one. Meanwhile, in the main action of the story, our protagonist is only playing dead. Oh yeah – spoiler alert.

Now here’s the interesting part of the editing process. After the story was pending for a few days, I received notice that it had been published, so I knew my addition of the explicit, enthusiastic consent had done the trick.

But Laurel had also added a couple of things to the story. First, she included this at the top of the page: “Editor’s Note: this submission contains tropes and scenes common to horror movies.” Second, she added a tag: “satire”. (The full list of tags is: cumshot; erotic horror; play dead; rough play; strangulation; satire.)

I want to start by expressing my appreciation to Laurel for this attention. This is great evidence that my story was read with care and thoughtfulness and she wanted it to be published.

The additions are interesting to me, especially the tag “satire”. I hadn’t thought of that when writing the story. I was considering my revisionist take on Halloween – all slasher movies, really – to be dead serious. I thought Laurel was adding the tag as a kind of disclaimer for anyone offended by the horror/violence elements, as if to say, “don’t take this too seriously” (and maybe she was).

There’s also the legal angle, because of course writers/cartoonists/humourists are allowed to criticize real people to a degree – as long as the work can be seen as satirical. So I do think Laurel was covering her bases on that point. Regardless, now that I’m looking at the story again, I do get the satire aspect.

All right well I’ve gone on plenty long enough. I do intend to write the further escapades of my First Final Girl in different horror movie settings – vs Freddy, vs Jason, vs Pinhead, you get the idea. My plan is to reproduce Laurel’s editor’s note and the “satire” tag on all the submissions, making sure to include language that conveys explicit consent, and see how it goes.

Thanks for making these forums an interesting, pleasurable and educational (gasp!) experience. Oh, and if you’re a reader, check out my stuff! Feedback always welcome. Got me a thick skin.

I'm used to Laurel adding tags and warnings to my stories when I forget to add them myself, but 'satire' is intriguing.

Congrats & hi, btw.

I have never seen a tag or note added to my works. I use all ten tag places and don't check carefully, and I do add notes alerting readers to what to expect which has cut down on some trolling.
ongrats on getting your first story up. {retty good feeling isn't it.
C

Hello, you've done pretty well with your first four stories. In my own case, I've found that getting a score above a 4.00 is not as easy as I first imagined. Sometimes it's a 3.93 and I think: so close and yet so far.

Maybe Laurel gave you some attention because you are new and she wanted to sort of check on you? I've never known her to add notes or tags. I will occasionally add a note/disclaimer myself if I feel I might be misunderstood.

I think she adds tags whenever I straddle categories, e.g., 'noncon' or 'science fiction'. Certainly she'll add warnings about incest and non-consensual content.

I think she adds tags whenever I straddle categories, e.g., 'noncon' or 'science fiction'. Certainly she'll add warnings about incest and non-consensual content.
She's changed/added tags on some of mine, always for the better. Never had a content warning though. I'm too vanilla.

I rarely use the tags as when I write in a category, the title and description pretty well tell you whats to come. Now, I don't know if Laurel does it or there is a process that does it, but sometimes a tag is added. It's usually just the category title.

I think the key phrase AlinaX used is "straddle categories," where I would say tags can really come in handy - although I wonder how many readers would use them in this way. If I want to find an erotic horror story about a mother and a son, I can start in the I/T category and then search on the tag "erotic horror" or maybe just "horror" and I'm going to see the stories that "straddle." Or I can search in the EH category and add the tag "mother-son" and maybe get even more specific results.

I would think Laurel would have her finger tight to the pulse of what readers expect for each category, and if a story needs a tag that allows it to straddle so that either it doesn't piss readers off OR so it opens the door to more readers using tags to search, she would apply the appropriate tags.

I do find it a bit frustrating that there's no way to really promote my story outside its primary category. It must go into C&FF for obvious reasons, but I think the best readership for it is actually in the EH category. I think my gambit will be to write a couple of stories that truly belong in the EH category, then hopefully draw those readers to my profile where they can see I have some straddlers they might also enjoy.

Thanks for the well wishes. My Michael Myers story was my first submission to the site, but after the lengthy pending status and re-submission, it was actually the third to be published. I do suspect that because it was my first submission and I was unknown to Laurel, it may have drawn her eye.

Back