Crimson

He looked across the fire at her and her words filled him with a feeling of something. What was it...Sadness...Loneliness? No it couldn't be that. Why would he care if there were no more Hunters in the world. He would rejoice when that happened. And yet looking at her...

"Ah your precious Hunter. I have no doubt he already knows this about us," he all but spat at her. "After all did he not do this to me," he says pointing at his scar. "Still I tell you so you will know that when we fight you know you will only need to look after yourself. I can defend myself."

Ah, the callous tongue of the wolf. Or at least his words. The tone of it was rather strange. Red couldn't help but feel a bit like a fool for letting her guard down a little and almost open up to him. How could she have been so easily childish. Grabbing a fur from his pack, she folded it once more to use as a pillow.

"We learn about all the creatures from a young age. What they're capable of, where they usually hide, what their weaknesses are, how to kill them."

Red laid down as the fire began to cackle, burning away at the wood. She took a glance at the scar he pointed at, his marking of defeat and humiliation.

"The scar suits you, dear," she said with a small grin on her face. " I can take care of myself But on the day where we will have fight one another..."

She trailed off. She kept her eyes on the wolf's gaze, trying to read his motives, anticipating his next move

Stygian glanced through the flames at her, his eyes glowing yellow as the wolf rose up in him. "Kill her now, rip, tear, feast." The words all but yelled in his mind and the outside world shrank away as he struggled to bury his other half.

"No, We need her. Need her to get close to the Hunter. Then we kill her, Capture the Hunter, Regain honor in pack."

The Wolf calmed at that and settled back down, his eyes once again fading back to normal and the world coming back into focus. The girl seemed not to have noticed anything and he smiled a little. Yes she would be useful but he must be careful, she was a hunter as well. He must keep his wolf in check and his feelings hidden. He also had to keep her safe no matter his disgust at that notion. Just until she could get him to his prize.

"Get some sleep Hunter, we have a long way to go, I will take first watch. After all the night is my time not yours," he chuckled as he moved away from the fire and sat with his back against a tree a little away from the campsite so it's glow would not ruin his night sight.

For a moment, Red could have sworn she saw a flash of yellow in his eyes. She was about to grab her scythe near her side when they returned back to its normal color. Odd, maybe her sleepy state was getting to her to the point that she started imagining things. No. Still, he seemed to be his arrogant self in his human form.

"After all the night is my time not yours."

"And that there lies the problem with you lot." She rolled over, keeping her weapon close to her. She fought against sleep, wanting to keep an eye on him in case he tried something on her. Her eyelids fought back as they grew heavy.

He heard her trying to fight off sleep and chuckled. He was almost tempted to go and play a trick on her just to see her reaction but decided he would prefer to have her rested for the next days journey. She would be probably have a rough night of it anyway without him having to do anything. She distrusted him so much she would keep herself on edge to much to sleep well.

He on the other hand would be able to sleep soundly. The wolf inside him would guard him well. If she made a move against him it would wake him instantly and he would be prepared to fight. It was what made his kind so tough to sneak up on.

After a half hour he got up to make a circuit of the camp and then returned to his spot. The fire had burned low, so he moved to place another piece of wood on it. He glanced at the sleeping form and was surprised at how beautiful Red looked when all the anger and tension had left her face. His hand moved of it's own accord to brush a stray piece of hair that had blown down over her face and he had to snatch it back quickly. He placed the wood on the fire and hurried back to his post breathing deeply and confused.

Always stand your guard, even when the time of war is not abundant. So says the hunter, drilling the notion that for someone such as they, even a full night's sleep is a blessing. She rolled over, still nestled under the fur blanket so she now faced him. Still, the further she slipped in to the comforts of sleep, the more relaxed she felt. It had been too long.

When she felt a hand brush against her face, she couldn't help but give a small smile. Something about the touch made her feel at ease despite that she was too comfortable in her slumber to be aware of who it was that caressed her, albeit quickly. She pulled the covers a little more until it covered every part of her body from the neck down.

Stygian decided to let the Hunter sleep for the entire night. it looked as if she needed it and he would be fine missing one nights sleep. Well he didn't have to miss all of it actually. He slipped into what he called his waking slumber. The wolf came a little bit to the fore and kept an eye on things while his body slumbered a little. the wolf could not take control of him but it would warn him of any impending danger and this way he would be rested a little come the morning.

He was able to use this for several hours before the wolf started to exert more control over him so he only ever used it at the end of a long night and it was just as the sun started to peep over the horizon that he felt the first stirrings in his mind. He quickly woke up and suppressed his other half, an easier job to do in the daytime, and moved back to the campsite.

He coaxed the embers of the fire back to life and soon had breakfast going as well as a pot of coffee and looked over to see if that would rouse the Hunter. He had never known any of the pack to sleep through breakfast.

The smell of earth and coffee filled her nostrils, slowly stirring her awake. It had been a while since she woke up feeling a lot more relaxed than usual. For a moment, she thought she was back home, back in the cabin where she lived for most of her life and that the hunter returned from his venture. That the whole encounter with a childhood adversary was nothing more than a vengeful dream ready to fuel her to hunt him down.

But the morning sun tickled her face and Red found herself slightly covered with dirt and pebbles. A new life was brought upon the once dying flame of the campfire. Not far away, the wolf was getting breakfast started.

The wolf!

Her mind still clouded, she reacted naturally at the sight of the creature: Grab hold of her weapon and go in for the attack.

Just as she was about to aim her blade at him, Red stopped herself from her near outburst. Surprisingly, he hadn't killed her in her sleep. She couldn't help but give him a strange look. What was he up to?

He had seen her reaction upon waking and he had almost reacted the same way. His claws had extended and his teeth had lengthened, the wolf inside him urging him to leap and kill the girl now.

Then he had seen her stop and look at him puzzled and he had calmed himself, his weapons returning to normal and he shut out the voice in his head. It was becoming a lot easier the more the sun rose. Daylight was the time of man, and although the wolf was always there he was more in control.

"So Hunter is this going to be a daily ritual. Am I going to have to be on my guard every morning lest you try to kill me when you awaken," he growled. "A fine way to thank the man who watched your back while you slept the night through and then had the courtesy to cook you breakfast. Perhaps I should rethink this so called partnership and let you wander around searching for your mentor while I travel straight to him and do what I wish to him," he chuckled.

Unamused by his remarks, Red returned the chuckle, albeit in a slightly mocking manner. Letting go of her weapon, she sat up and poked at the fire with one of the stray branches.

"You tell me. Should I thank you for watching me in my sleep or be grateful that you're biding time before the animal inside of you decides to come out and play?" she said, stretching her legs to let her blood flow.

The flash of the creature's eyes, the one that often plagued her nightmares since childhood, she could have sworn she saw the wolf tried to break free. Part of her resented it: As how the scar to the wolf symbolized failure, the wolf represented a possible foreshadowing in to her fate. Another part of her sympathized with him: The struggle for self control in to a life neither asked for but were simply born in to.

And the other part: a strange hunger she felt when she caught the creature looking at her. Oh how she wanted to destroy him. No, killing him may not be enough just yet. Ravage the creature? Not satisfying enough. She vowed that it'll be slow and ongoing.

Red looked over the breakfast that he was cooking in the burner: fresh meat. The lid on the coffee pot began to clatter, signaling to the two that the coffee was ready, or at least hot enough.

"I' just need to find him. And once that's out of the way, I'll have more time to deal with you."

Last edited:
Stygian turned to the fire and gently eased the pot off the tripod he had set it on with the metal poker and set it beside the pit to cool down a little. Then he flipped the slabs of bacon he had cooking and then got the last of the precious eggs he had and some wild mushrooms he had found. He cracked the eggs in and then added the mushrooms, stirring them into the rich bacon grease with a stick he had stripped of bark.

While the last little bit of breakfast was cooking he got out his plate and cup and then looked at her as he grabbed a rag he kept in his pack and grabbed the coffee pot, pouring himself a cup.

"So, want to pass me your cup and plate, or would you prefer to serve yourself? After all you never know where my hands have been, or what they've been into," he smiled. "Of course I did cook everything so I guess the points moot," he chuckled.

It took every ounce of her to not chuck the nearby bowl and cup directly at the wolf's head. He was doing a damn good job at pushing her buttons, knowing which nerves to lightly squeeze at enough for her not to lunge out at him but for her to cringe. She slid the bowl with the cup inside. The smell of bacon, mushroom and eggs wafted in the air, mixing in together with the coffee. It almost reminded her of home.

Strange.

"No dear," She said with a hint of dripping sarcasm. "Where would those dirty hands of yours have been all night? You got me damned curious now."

He knew he was pushing her just enough, but if he was going to be traveling with her he guessed he should back off a little bit. However it was just so damn hard. She was the enemy and he was supposed to be killing her or at the least doing unspeakable acts and leaving her for the Hunter to find and agonize over.

Yet as he had those thoughts he only felt revulsion at them. Did he want her? He hated to admit it but yes he did, But did he want to take her by force? No the very idea caused him to become sick.

Still he couldn't just let her comment pass by. As he poured her cup full of coffee he smiled at her. "Why how do you think we have this nice bacon this morning. It is nice and fresh isn't it yet I do not see a butchers around here." He chuckled a little and let her draw her own conclusion to that. Of course he had brought it with him but she didn't need to know that.

She took the cup of coffee without much of a thank you. Each sip ran down from her tongue down past her throat like smooth strokes coating the soft flesh inside of her mouth. Grabbing the plate and fork nearby, she reached out and grabbed her share of egg, bacon and sausage. Each of the glistening meat still sizzled as she rearranged them.

"You of all people should know. Best to get the meat straight from the source rather than wait for a few hours for the butcher to handle it. By then some of the insects have already gotten a sample of the fresh meat."

She popped a slice of the sausage in her mouth while keeping an eye on him. Oh how easy it would be to go after him with deadly force. Her conscience as a hunter twitched at the idea of ripping him open. Make him pay for what he did to her and the rest of the hunters.

Patience she hushed that voice. That time will come. But for now...

"I have an idea what tickles a wolf's fancy. But since we'll be traveling together, what gets your mind tickling. What's something that is so insatiable that even if you fulfill it, the want never quite goes away?"

Red took small bites of the bacon, the oil smearing the corner of her lip.

"Since we have no choice but to travel with one another, it's only fair that I know something about who I'm being accompanied by."

Stygian smiled. Oh she did not want the answer to that question. That was very dangerous to ask a Werewolf. After all it depended on which side was in control as to what answer you might get.

His wolf would definitely answer blood. It never got enough of the hunt and the eventual end, when it sank it's claws and fangs into it's prey and drew the glorious lifeblood out of it. It bathed in it and drank the stuff down as it gloried in the taste of the rich tangy substance.

Stygian on the other hand had very different tastes. "Oh there are many things, little girl, that give me such an itch. Finding a female to couple with, Tracking down my prey and bringing it to ground, cooking a good meal, even traveling with someone who is good company to places I have never been before." He looked at her to see how she would react to that and smiled slightly.

"However right now I think I hunger for a good fight. To many stresses are going on and a good battle would be a nice way to get rid of a lot of it." Grinning at her he shrugged. "Do you not feel the same way Hunter? We are not allowed to kill each other so some other helpless fool must pay the price," he laughed.

Red watched him as he spoke, her teeth gnashing at the sausage. If the sausage were the wolf's head, she would tear it off like an animal eating its dead prey.

"Oh sweetie," she replied, almost mocking his tone. "Who says we're not allowed to kill each other? You'll just have to wait your turn after I find the hunter and destroy anything else that comes my way. Then you and I will settle our problems the only way we can."

Her eyebrows raised when he mentioned finding a woman to couple with. Normally she would have dismissed it as the wolf being predictably perverted. What was there to imagine? He finds a woman considered worthy of his time, fucks her until she was completely drained of her energy, and leaves her there to writhe from the intense passion. Disgusting bastard.

So why is your face burning red? her thoughts questioned her.

Hoping to hide this fact, she quickly grabbed her cup of coffee and downed it. It wasn't her business on what he does with other women so long as she wasn't involved.

"Hmph, good luck with that if you think a woman would want to get involved with an animal."

She then muttered to herself, "We're all not that lucky."

Last edited:
Stygian allowed a small grin to quickly pass across his face as he looked down and pretended to carefully select a piece of his bacon. It seemed as if Red had been hiding something after all. She really must learn not to make comments, no matter how quietly, to herself when around a werewolf.

His hearing may not be as good as it was when he was in his wolven form, but just sitting across from her in a campsite he had no problems picking up her comment.

"So she did have a secret yearning to be taken by one such as him. He wondered which form she would rather be taken by? His rough man like appearance, or his large Wolf form. He chuckled at the thought of the woman sitting opposite him down on all fours as his Wolf took her from behind.

The Wolf stirred at the thought and growled in agreement, but the image changed to one of the wolf releasing it's seed then plunging it's fangs into Red's neck.

Stygian cringed and forced his Wolf down. "You would be surprised how many women find an animalistic man enjoyable. I guess you would not know though only being around that straight laced Hunter all the time. Tell me, does he even know you are a woman or are you just another Hunter to him?"

Red finished the rest of her sausage, using the back of her hand to wipe away the oil that lingered behind. Not lady like but it was either that or have her cloak smell like grease and meat for the trip. No need to give the creature any more reason to be attracted to her aside for the blood of his adversary.

"Not all women know better. I've passed by a few of the village women who get gutsy and use the forest as a hiding place. Seems like the harder she gets rammed, the more she enjoys it. Quite confusing."

She pressed her lips until a thin line formed while keeping a hard stare at the creature. He was only a mere yard away from making contact with her blade.

"We're not oppressed like the folks in Middlesbrough," Red said, speaking of the northern bible-thumping village (as her fellow comrades loved to snicker about) who were heavy in to their religious beliefs. "I have an idea what sex is. But there's a time and place for it. And quite frankly, my duties take precedence over everything else. Even if it means a few so-called pleasures get pushed aside."

Red aired out the dirt and earthly remains that clung so dearly to her crimson cloak. The wolf's inquiry, although meaning to insult her mentor, couldn't help but struck a chord with her that often shadowed her as she grew up: Was it possible to separate the two without feeling completely damned for it?

"I told you earlier, we are not given a choice on what kind of life we're born in to."

Throwing her cloak over her shoulder, she held the half of the red fabric and picked up her weapon before she strolled about and away from him.

"Been feeling sticky since I woke up anyway. It'll take a few minutes to freshen up by that lake we passed on the way here last night."

He had heard something in her voice. A half longing or loneliness. It resonated within him as he had only been trying to get a rise out of her with his comments.

He himself had never taken a village girl like that. He did not want to. Any of them that just wanted to rut with an 'Animal' as they called them were not worth his time. Oh he had heard the stories from some of his pack mates that took great pleasure in fulfilling some of the girls wishes. Even some that had killed them while rutting just to spread the legend. Still the girls risked it. He just shook his head.

In the pack he had used to be a desirable mate and had his fair share of encounters, but since his run in with the hunter and his injury, his standing had slipped and his desirability with it. Oh he had still had the occasional tumble with a wolf that had been in heat an had not been choosy, but they had been few and far between.

As Red had said, "You can not choose the life you are born into." He needed to regain status if he was to ever claw his way back up the hierarchy of the pack again.

He watched her walk away and was struck again by her beauty. If only she had been born into the pack things could have been much different. He couldn't help himself and quietly stalked after her using all his skill to stay quiet. He just had to see how she would 'Freshen up' and how much she would reveal to his prying eyes.

It took a good five minutes to reach the lake side. Aside from the morning breeze and the occasional bird calls, the land had never been more still. Almost as if Red had it all to herself.

Looking behind her to make certain she was alone, she saw not a hair nor hide of the damned wolf. But her heart sank as she realized that she had left her weapon, her only efficient line of defense, behind at camp.

Damn it! she seethed. If he found out where she was, she knew she was leaving herself out in the open for the taking. No, this may be a good chance to see how much the wolf will tolerate his animalistic calling to hunt her down and kill her. It certainly will drive him mad. Yes, maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

So she hoped.

Red draped her cloak over a branch of the nearest tree. She kicked off her boots, having them give the tree a light kick upon landing. She untied the corset, pulling them off along with her shirt. The sun exposed the scars on her neck and shoulder from the man-eating birds still in stages of healing.

It didn't take long for her to be completely in the nude. With her back turned towards the path she came from, there was one thing left to do:

Slowly, Red waded in the lake, shivering at the chilly water. Soon enough, her body adjusted to the cool water before she submerged herself.

Stygian had hidden just back from the lake in a grove of trees, blending in with the undergrowth as only one who lived in the wild knew how to do. He doubted she could see him but he had an unobstructed view of her.

He watched as she looked around, probably searching to see if he had followed her, before she had actually started to disrobe. It was then that he noticed her mistake. Her blade was no where to be seen.

His Wolf rose up inside him with joy and bloodthirst. She is alone, vulnerable. Kill her. Finish the job we started.

Stygians mouth began to water and he actually started to creep forward, but then she took all of her clothes off and stood naked before him. It stopped him dead and silenced the voice in his head. Sure he could only see her from behind, but that view was magnificent. Toned from many years of training and even scared as it was it was still the most beautiful sight he had ever seen.

He finally snapped out of it when she dove into the lake fully submerging herself. He shook his head and crept back into his hiding place. The Wolf had retreated again sensing this was a battle it could not win. Stygian settled in to wait and observe any other delights Red would offer him. He knew it was wrong, and that nothing could come of it. She was a Hunter, He was a Wolf. They were mortal enemies only together to find her mentor and his target and that was it.

He sighed as he gazed back to where she was in the lake. No you definitely could not choose what you were born into, but sometimes you could dream it was not so.

Oh how Red's body shivered at the combination of the cold water and the morning breeze. She swam here and there, from the shallow to the deep and back, all while adjusting to the water's temperature. As her arms grew tired after many strokes, she floated on her back, watching the clouds pass by. The water muted any necessary distractions while she thought over the predicament she was in.

Not to mention that damned wolf.

The only thing she'll praise him for was knowing how to get on her nerves and pushing her buttons. She considered leaving the wolf on his own after she changed back to her clothes and retrieve her weapon. All she needed to do was get to her mentor before the wolf does.

Still, he made her question a few things that she kept at the back of her mind. Her fellow hunter often viewed her as a comrade, his pupil, but it was for the sake of their tasks at hand as they are the only two survivors left of the massacre. Oh sure, the hunter made a few comments on the advantages women can take towards adversary simply with their feminine charms and how even the most fit and trained of the lady hunters, were also vulnerable of the two.

And his eyes, the way he looked at her while he taunted her caused a stir inside her; one of obvious resentment and perhaps intrigue. Though she can perhaps learn to tolerate him, she hated how he was causing her curiosity of being taken in such a manner to slowly unfold when she knew damn well to keep it to herself.

After ten minutes of cleansing herself, she swam back to shore. Her body dripping wet, she dressed herself back up, not caring if they became wet from her bath.

Stygian watched Red swim, enjoying the way her muscles rippled along her arms and back as she swam. He felt a growl of appreciation build up within his throat and it was let out low and guttural. No one more than a foot from him would have heard it but to him it was a mistake.

Damn that woman was driving him crazy, and it only got worse when she decided to float on her back. Her pert breasts thrust up from her chest into the morning sky, her nipples hardened and sitting up proud. The growl slipped out again and even the wolf was quiet as he gazed at her.

As she started to swim back towards the bank he realized his dilemma. Damn he had stayed too long. He should have gone back to the camp when she had been floating in the river. Now he would have to move quickly and very silently to make it back to the camp in time.

Still he just couldn't tear himself away, he just had to wait until she stood up and started to walk towards where she had left her clothes. His eyes bulged as he caught sight of her full figure. Her long legs, her toned body, her beautiful breasts and the sight of the delicate junction between her legs.

His breathing stopped and he was mesmerized as she walked up to and reached down for her clothing. Finally he was able to look away and start to back away slowly. Once he was out of the grove he sped back through the trees and into camp.

He made sure he was clean and calmly sat down next to the fire after cleaning up the breakfast mess. He put on another pot of coffee and then waited for her return. That damn woman was going to be the death of him. How could he hate someone so much, yet desire her at the same time.

The corset was often the one that gave Red the most trouble. Tightening it here, loosening a little there, fitting the damn thing around her waist until it was fitted property. Dressed up and her cloak tied around her neck, she made her way back to camp where the wolf was making another fresh batch of coffee.

Surprisingly, her scythe was right where she left it. It hadn't moved from its resting place beside the camp fire. Still, she couldn't help but be suspicious of her adversary sitting not far away. With his form, his body toned, and his overall features, he would have made a great comrade. Perhaps someone she could confide in. But alas, such a thing would be ridiculous.

Red picked up her scythe and let it rest on top of her shoulder.

"If you're almost finished with that coffee, I want to get going before dark."

Stygian grimaced at her. It was just after dawn and he had had hardly any sleep, and she was begrudging hism a second cup of coffee? Lust be damned, he was going to make this woman wait. Maybe then she was going to learn some manners and talk to him civily.

Of course if he expected that of her he was going to have to do the same thing. Damn the sacrifices he was making on this trip were starting to mount up.

"It is barely passed dawn Red, surely you would be able to wait for me to have a second cup. After all I did stand watch all night, I need some caffeine to keep me awake so I can lead you in the right direction. Now would you like a cup?

He smiled at her as he asked her this and made sure it was a genuine warm smile. Ha got you he thought in his head. Let's see your response to that. However a small part of him was telling him how good it had felt to talk so nicely to her.

Back