Canadian travel advisory

The UK should do the same but the govt is like a mini-GOP right now. With so many different cultures to explore in the world I don't feel the need to visit a place we see on tv 24/7.

I did find a worldwide advice site for LGBTQIA but wherever you go, you should be aware of local cultures and laws. I just spent a few minutes browsing and it makes an interesting read. I was surprised to see Spain allows for self-ID of gender along with Ireland and numerous others...

Some Asian countries like Thailand and the Philippines are very tolerant. My girlfriend’s life there is so much better than it would be in the US. In her province so many LGBTQIA people hold political positions of power that I wonder, are there any straight people holding office here?

The UK should do the same but the govt is like a mini-GOP right now. With so many different cultures to explore in the world I don't feel the need to visit a place we see on tv 24/7.

I did find a worldwide advice site for LGBTQIA but wherever you go, you should be aware of local cultures and laws. I just spent a few minutes browsing and it makes an interesting read. I was surprised to see Spain allows for self-ID of gender along with Ireland and numerous others...
It’s a big world out there and yeah there are some amazing places to visit. I’m not that wildly traveled, but as a transgender soul I can’t imagine too many places I would feel comfortable letting my guard down.
I had a pleasant experience this summer traveling thru Portland Oregon, I stayed there a few days and found it totally accepting for those of us on the spectrum.
Also need to say, as part of my long hike I passed through some small rural areas that i def didn’t feel comfortable being out. Before entering these rural towns I removed and hid my small pride flag from my pack!

I too would love to see the UK implement a travel advisory in regard to lgbtq people. I think the more international reaction to some of the irrational laws here in the USA the better!

Some Asian countries like Thailand and the Philippines are very tolerant. My girlfriend’s life there is so much better than it would be in the US. In her province so many LGBTQIA people hold political positions of power that I wonder, are there any straight people holding office here?
I’m surprised to read this Escierto, not that I’m knowledgeable about acceptance in Asian countries, I thought the Philippines were not very accepting....anyways, glad to know that!

It’s a big world out there and yeah there are some amazing places to visit. I’m not that wildly traveled, but as a transgender soul I can’t imagine too many places I would feel comfortable letting my guard down.
I had a pleasant experience this summer traveling thru Portland Oregon, I stayed there a few days and found it totally accepting for those of us on the spectrum.
Also need to say, as part of my long hike I passed through some small rural areas that i def didn’t feel comfortable being out. Before entering these rural towns I removed and hid my small pride flag from my pack!

I too would love to see the UK implement a travel advisory in regard to lgbtq people. I think the more international reaction to some of the irrational laws here in the USA the better!

I’m surprised to read this Escierto, not that I’m knowledgeable about acceptance in Asian countries, I thought the Philippines were not very accepting....anyways, glad to know that!
You are right. It’s not what I expected either since it’s a Catholic country and there are not a lot of legal protections for LGBTQIA people. Nevertheless people’s attitudes are so much more tolerant there than they are in the US.

When you're a stranger you need to keep your head down. Walking like a dude helps and avoid wearing that pink beanie your friend gave you! ;)
People take a pride in their town/country. Best way to get a friendly response is to show an interest, ask questions and say thank you a lot. It even works in Yorkshire 😁

When you're a stranger you need to keep your head down. Walking like a dude helps and avoid wearing that pink beanie your friend gave you! ;)
People take a pride in their town/country. Best way to get a friendly response is to show an interest, ask questions and say thank you a lot. It even works in Yorkshire 😁
Lots of truth there! Your comment “show interest, ask questions, and say thanks” is one I use when hiking thru these small towns. Also I’m def developing an avoidance radar 😂 some out there like the big burly truck driver types I find it better to keep my distance. I think that could be the keeping my head down!
But I’ve never seemed to do a convincing dude walk, so don’t think I fool many that way 🤣

A lot of this dangerous America stuff is really just garbage. It may be an issue here and there but my cousin and his husband travel all over and with the exception of rural Alabama never have issues...but then again they hate everyone there. I think the problem is that most people here are very tolerant but you get sound bytes from a few loudmouths and suddenly you have stories about safety. The reverse is sadly true...Fox seeks out the craziest people to represent LGBTQ folks and use the most extreme person as "typical". If you want the reality here in the states ...it is that most people dont care what you do or who you are unless you bother them directly. So all my friends, please take these warnings with a big grain of salt. Canada still treats indiginous people terribly (my cousin from Ontario is part Cree so I take his word), their PM went to school in blackface when he taught kids etc. but I will not say Canada is a bad place as I know the majority of Canadians are great people! Just use normal caution and you will find the states is safe for the most part.
Zrosey...lol...I look like a typical big, burly truck driver but looks can always be deceiving. Be well everyone!

A lot of this dangerous America stuff is really just garbage. It may be an issue here and there but my cousin and his husband travel all over and with the exception of rural Alabama never have issues...but then again they hate everyone there. I think the problem is that most people here are very tolerant but you get sound bytes from a few loudmouths and suddenly you have stories about safety. The reverse is sadly true...Fox seeks out the craziest people to represent LGBTQ folks and use the most extreme person as "typical". If you want the reality here in the states ...it is that most people dont care what you do or who you are unless you bother them directly. So all my friends, please take these warnings with a big grain of salt. Canada still treats indiginous people terribly (my cousin from Ontario is part Cree so I take his word), their PM went to school in blackface when he taught kids etc. but I will not say Canada is a bad place as I know the majority of Canadians are great people! Just use normal caution and you will find the states is safe for the most part.
Zrosey...lol...I look like a typical big, burly truck driver but looks can always be deceiving. Be well everyone!
Have you ever been to Texas? Do you carry?

Been to Texas a lot....Austin, DFW etc not an issue...but West Texas is another animal BUT not a lot of people out that way. Those are lonely roads!

A lot of this dangerous America stuff is really just garbage. ~snip~
~snip~ Zrosey...lol...I look like a typical big, burly truck driver but looks can always be deceiving. Be well everyone!
You make a good point about a country's reputation and if we believe nothing but headlines, then we'd never leave the house.

All the same, how you are perceived by other people in public has a huge impact on your safety. As you're a big burly truck driver you have an entirely different experience on the street to me or Rosey.

Jane's presence
I have to send out a message that I am not threatening and I might even be attractive if you can get me to look your way, because you've already checked out my ass and wawawawa!
Eomerson's presence
Your innate message to the same person on the street is 'Don't look at me - I won't take shit off anyone.' and so smaller people will 'Find something interesting in this shop window to avoid meeting you at the doorway.'

Rosey, I'm a pretty good mimic and I pick up on body language as much as I love accents. Eomerson will be a bit shoulder heavy. He puts his feet down without a thought because guys wear big boots.

A mistake girls make in trying to imitate a guy is that they'll overstride, making strides that are unnatural for their leg length. Walking weird attracts attention. To imitate a guy you have to have the big boot step ( like you don't care what's under your feet ). If you dig your hands into your hip pockets it makes your shoulders hunch & roll a little, which is good but don't overdo it. Imagine a sulky teenage boy.
Next is the man-frown. If you're nervous you tend to shift your gaze too frequently or alternatively people overcompensate by staring fixedly at the horizon which makes you look arrogant. You need to have a facial expression as though you were trying to figure out the lathe speed for a 3/8th standard thread on a M9 stainless steel bar. A bit of a frown and eyes down to avoid distraction.

Clothes are an easy one - dark colours but not black. Black screams insecure. It puzzles me how outdoor clothing designers assign colours to gender and so advertise what genitals go underneath them. If you want your gender to be clear from half a mile, then wear pastels and cute headbands. To me, pastel Gortex says 'I'm financial secure, I get laid often and I probably have kids'.

Feel free to disagree! I could talk about mimicking all day, but right now I have to pull on my pastel fleece, red deck shoes and go to the sailing club 😁 👒⛵👟

Last edited:
When leaving one of the very small towns I overnighted at on my hike, I had to roadwalk about 6 miles to get back to the trail.
I really dislike the traffic and heat of roadwalking so I started out early, around 6am hoping there wouldn't be much traffic yet. There wasn't, so it was about as good as it can be. As I got closer to my trail I was in a pretty secluded area the road passed thru, walking along a high fenced yard, it wasn't long until a pretty big Irish setter looking dog rampaged up to the fence and of course barking like crazy, snarling and froth covering its mouth.....
To complete the picture there was a large sign bolted to the fence, "God is still slaying"
Yeah, I felt uncomfortable and picked up my pace to the forest!
Nothing happened other than the dog and the odd signage, but as a transgender soul by myself the reality is I gotta keep my wits about me!

Even when it comes to dogs, men and women live in different worlds. My ex-wife and my daughters have all been bitten by dogs and required rabies shots. Meanwhile I have literally been attacked numerous times by dogs but I have never been bitten. Apparently dogs think twice before trying to chew on a 220 pound 6’2” guy - especially one that looks like he will probably bite you back!

Back