british or american grammar?

We would never throw vegetables, rotten or otherwise. That habit died with the music hall. :)

Hi, Nicki
We might throw politicians - we've got lots of rotten ones of those.

Nicki - if you need a second pair of eyes on your story then send me a PM

Or in regional UK speak ...

"Oi Mum. I'm going to Asda. You want summinck or what?" :D

South of the Thames ?

Or:

"James, would you take the Roller and obtain a Fortnum's hamper for the racing tomorrow? Please ensure the Champers is a decent vintage."
"Yes, Your Lordship,".

Belgravia ?
I think the reference to the car would not have mentioned the type.

We would never throw vegetables, rotten or otherwise. That habit died with the music hall. :)

More's the pity.

We might throw politicians - we've got lots of rotten ones of those.

Nicki: Which part of the UK is your "English"?

Belgravia ?
I think the reference to the car would not have mentioned the type.

One has to distinguish between the Rolls-Royce, the Bristol and the Aston-Martin in the heated and carpeted garage. The BMWs belong to the staff.

He'd have called it "the Rolls", I think
:)

The Lords I have met call the make 'Roller' and regret the passing of the regal-style Daimler.

43RD001_30559_Qty1_1.jpg

In their opinion, Rolls Royce haven't made a proper Rolls-Royce since the pre-war Phantom, and even that was not up to the standard of the Ghost.

Phantom III
rolls-royce-phantom-iii-for-sale.jpg

Ghost
134_P1010074.jpg

If they mean the Phantom or the Ghost, then they would say "Rolls-Royce"

i have only written one story that has been posted. i have another one that has been edited by a very helpful person, but as there are so many grammar issues i decided to go away for a few months, and learn more of grammar.

the big problem so far has been that i was taught british grammar rules, and as such i have found many things that i was taught in school, are improper when it comes to american english, as this is an international site, i am wondering which form of grammar is correct to use. should i stay with my british grammar or would it be more considerate to learn more of american grammar and spelling to make stories easier to read?

is it ever ok to use colloquialisms within writing. very basic examples being within speech. over here the words owt, and nowt are common terms for anything, and nothing but i have found that many americans have never heard of them. does such language detract from a story?

is it ever ok to write how someone speaks, especially in the case of a first person narrative? on a very basic level i mean for example that it would be very unnatural to write i have to go somewhere. when i speak i would say i've got to go somewhere, but this is not the correct form for american grammar.

i would be grateful for any comments as i am finding my writing has become very stilted due to my uncertainties of language.

Grammar matters when you want it to.

Some of the best writing stomps on the rules of English.

When dialogue is concerned, I would write how it's spoken, otherwise, at times, you won't be able to express the difference between "I know, right?" and "Iknowright?" on top of the loss of things like: "Innit?" or "Wattup?" and "I dunno?"

I think either would work. If you're worried put a disclaimer in the beginning that you're using British grammar and spelling. It's different, but British, US, Canadian and Australian are all mutually understandable. Ish.

Heck, many of us Americans don't use our own version very well.

just really wanted to say thank you so much everyone. i was really so confused but what you are all saying has been so helpful. i will go back and re edit the second part, and the other parts that i have and just go with it i think. i write because i love to write, and i just hope that on the way others might find some of it enjoyable. to know that all i have to do is to make a short list of words for those who do not everyday deal with that amazing yorkshire accent so that they will know what is being said is such a relief. i felt like i was having to rewrite my characters which just felt wrong.

I would buy a basic grammar book and study it. All of your posts have basic grammatical and syntax errors. All of your sentences look and read like text-speak. I would have a solid understand of structure before I took another approach.

Last edited:
I would buy a basic grammar book and study it. All of your posts have basic grammatical and syntax errors. All of your sentences look and read like text-speak. I would have a solid understand of structure before I took another approach.

I'd suggest "Gwynne's Grammar" by N.M.Gwynne (publ. Ebury Press).
It's not expensive and it is very understandable.

As long as you're consistent, you should have no problem. I would suggest that you let the reader know immediately what to expect, by setting the scene in a particular locale at a particular time. That way, he or she will take any speech idiosyncrasies in stride. And it's always wise to give the readers a little help by allowing them to figure out what an expression means by the context in which it's used.

Quick grammar question please, not really to do with the thread, soz:

Before he could continue further, the two of them were surrounded by several young girls, all swishing hair, high heels and giggles. ‘Hiya boys, I’m Tania, my dad’s on the committee. So...is either of you single?’

Is it is, or are?

I'm at the point where I've thought about it too much and can't tell. Ta.

Quick grammar question please, not really to do with the thread, soz:

Before he could continue further, the two of them were surrounded by several young girls, all swishing hair, high heels and giggles. ‘Hiya boys, I’m Tania, my dad’s on the committee. So...is either of you single?’

Is it is, or are?

I'm at the point where I've thought about it too much and can't tell. Ta.

Are either of you.

This from the American Heritage Book of English Usage, page 16:

". . . when either is followed by of and a plural noun, it is often used with a plural verb."

The "you" in the example you give is plural.

Brilliant, thanks.

My instincts said it was are, but I was having a weird moment.

This is dialogue, so the question should be, "how educated is my character and how correct in her speech?"

Ooh, very good point. They're a couple of dullards, so I could have more fun with it. Hmmm.

Another hair toss, ‘I dunno, my dad says he’s a bit of a journeyman, going from club to club and filling in. Nothing special.’
‘Durr, you idiot, I was talking about him being a bit cute, in a rough and muscley way.’
‘You’re the idiot; it’s muscular, not muscley. You’re supposed to studying for an English A-level!’
‘I’d rather study Rob. In my A-level Art Life Drawing class.’

Doesn't really matter who's right there either. I like this. :)

The Lords I have met call the make 'Roller' and regret the passing of the regal-style Daimler.

43RD001_30559_Qty1_1.jpg

In their opinion, Rolls Royce haven't made a proper Rolls-Royce since the pre-war Phantom, and even that was not up to the standard of the Ghost.

Phantom III
rolls-royce-phantom-iii-for-sale.jpg

Ghost
134_P1010074.jpg

If they mean the Phantom or the Ghost, then they would say "Rolls-Royce"

Makes me think of a poem I read in a book once. The author of poem and book escape me, even the poem to a degree, here is what I remember, badly.

Bore four point one inches
Stroke three point nine,
Tappets wot pinches
Molybdenum wots fine,
something something something
...for the mare who does care
Her name is Rolls Royce!

Makes me think of a poem I read in a book once. The author of poem and book escape me, even the poem to a degree, here is what I remember, badly.

Bore four point one inches
Stroke three point nine,
Tappets wot pinches
Molybdenum wots fine,
something something something
...for the mare who does care
Her name is Rolls Royce!

And if you ever remember any more, or the title of the poem, please let me know

Are either of you.

This from the American Heritage Book of English Usage, page 16:

". . . when either is followed by of and a plural noun, it is often used with a plural verb."

The "you" in the example you give is plural.

I was always taught the either is to be used strictly with a singular verb, since it is itself singular. But then, I was partly raised in England, where the American Heritage Book of English Usage would not be considered a reliable reference.

So either one of the usages is correct. Are correct. Damn.

I was always taught the either is to be used strictly with a singular verb, since it is itself singular. But then, I was partly raised in England, where the American Heritage Book of English Usage would not be considered a reliable reference.

So either one of the usages is correct. Are correct. Damn.

Possibly, in Britain, if you can actually cite a current British authority saying that--which you haven't. "What I was always taught" is a deep pit of uncertainty in this business.

So, it's established that it's the one way in American style, and has yet to be established that it isn't that way in British style.

Possibly, in Britain, if you can actually cite a current British authority saying that--which you haven't. "What I was always taught" is a deep pit of uncertainty in this business.

So, it's established that it's the one way in American style, and has yet to be established that it isn't that way in British style.

Translation:

I copy and paste better from google than other people do.

Translation:

I copy and paste better from google than other people do.

Let's not start your ignorant shit again, you asshole. I consulted the manual (and gave the page number).

You are just a sick, obsessive stalker.

(And if the manual was on the Internet and I googled it and cited the source, it would still be better than "I was always taught.")

You just can't stand anyone showing any real expertise in writing here, because you're too lazy to gain any yourself. You want everyone to fall to the same warehouse worker level you're at. You have absolutely no interest in anyone else developing their writing, because it would put you at a disadvantage.

Last edited:
Let's not start your ignorant shit again, you asshole. I consulted the manual (and gave the page number).

You are just a sick, obsessive stalker.

(And if the manual was on the Internet and I googled it and cited the source, it would still be better than "I was always taught.")

You just can't stand anyone showing any real expertise in writing here, because you're too lazy to gain any yourself. You want everyone to fall to the same warehouse worker level you're at. You have absolutely no interest in anyone else developing their writing, because it would put you at a disadvantage.

Hmmm.....

6db7cbeee86bb590922547065b781182.jpg

.....you almost made it a clean sweep in a single post, pilot. Better luck next time. ;)

Oh, Pur - leese

Good People,
Please would you put away your handbags?
I find it so depressing to read a load of carping & criticism in the middle of a thread. Please, chaps (and chapessses, as appropriate) I beg that you don't misread each others posts (deliberately or not) and sound off in rebuke.

If you have a personal bit of grief with a person, I commend you to send your critiques via a PM.

Back