Biden's education plan would level death blow to private and religious colleges

Counselor706

Literotica Guru
So, what does Biden advocate for America’s higher education system? According to the recommendations, “Democrats believe that everyone should be able to earn a degree beyond high school, if they choose to, without money standing in the way. That is why we will fight to make public colleges and universities tuition-free for students whose families earn less than $125,000.”

Put another way, Biden believes public colleges should be “free,” which would effectively put private and religious universities out of business.

Aside from the discriminatory nature of this policy, there is no such thing as “free” tuition. One way or another, someone is going to pay for this, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the burden will not fall on those making less than $125,000. A more accurate description of this policy would be Democrats want “the rich” to subsidize college tuition for 80 percent of America’s students.
Source

Are you suggesting that private and religious schools could not compete on the quality of education given if public colleges were free? If no, then what are people paying for at those schools?

In the short run that might. In the long run it's a really bad idea. Diplomas from those Univ. will become as devalued as high school diploma's are now. Four years plus wasted to be unemployed?

Those Univ. that maintain their academic levels and eschew the public dollar will be overwhelmed with applications for entry and their graduates will be in high demand. And thus an even greater gap will open between the "privileged" and over educated burger flippers.

And the taxpayer will be on the hook paying for those same burger flippers to obtain a virtually worthless degree.

I don't see a problem here.

Private schools for the hoity toity and muckety mucks that can afford them.

Religious schools can go to Hell.

I trust that there will be people who want private college degrees (what makes a religious college not a private one?) and will pay for them.

I'm not sure I'm on board with everyone needing a college degree (and the government paying for one) anyway. I think we need a balance, with trade school education being as valuable to the public good (which would be the reason government would be covering the bill) or more so than a liberal arts degree. So I'll look to see whether this includes trade school and valuing a diploma from there. That said, no one but me and my family paid for my college education or that of my children (and, now, grandchildren), so I tend to do a pout at the thought of also paying for the college education for everyone else too through my taxes considering how I see a lot of people using theirs--and what they were doing during the college, which wasn't always picking up anything useful to society.

Why do you care? According to your tribe colleges are merely hotbeds of Communism and leftist indoctrination anyway.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure I'm on board with everyone needing a college degree (and the government paying for one) anyway.

I know I'm not. Most jobs don't really need it. Companies have been adding that requirement to weed out 'undesirables' (think minorities) so they don't have to not hire somebody because of ....

I know I'm not. Most jobs don't really need it. Companies have been adding that requirement to weed out 'undesirables' (think minorities) so they don't have to not hire somebody because of ....

Judging by what the roofer charged me for a new roof on the garage, I chose the wrong profession.

Judging by what the roofer charged me for a new roof on the garage, I chose the wrong profession.

Just right. Electricians and plumbers make as much if not more than liberal arts majors do on the average--and justifiable so.

We currently have an anti education honk in charge of education.

My parents paid for private school for 5 kids for varying lengths of time (all 12 years for one of my sisters) even though the alternative was free.

Ridiculous argument.

Back