Biden warns of Russian cyberattack threat

pecksniff

Literotica Guru
Story.

President Biden warned Monday that "evolving intelligence" suggests Russia is exploring options for potential cyber attacks targeting U.S. critical infrastructure.

"The magnitude of Russia's cyber capacity is fairly consequential," Mr. Biden said, addressing the Business Roundtable, an association of some of the nation's largest corporations. "And it's coming."

While there's no evidence of any specific cyber attack threat, Anne Neuberger, Mr. Biden's deputy national security adviser for cyber and emerging technology, told reporters Monday afternoon that U.S. officials have observed "preparatory work" linked to nation-state actors. Such activity could indicate increased levels of scanning websites and hunting for vulnerabilities among U.S. companies.

Further details on U.S. intelligence remain unclear, but as Moscow could look for ways to retaliate against economic sanctions imposed following their invasion of Ukraine, potential targets include the U.S. financial sector, electric grid, water treatment plants and hospitals.
Anything we can do to prepare?

Critical infrastructure? Oh God, please let it be Facebook and Twitter.

Won't happen for the same reason they won't nuke us.
We have teenage hackers too...

Biden is just fear-mongering to try and shore up his fading support.

Prepare? Prepare? Don't ask me about prepping!
All we want is just one unbiased source. Prepare?

Don't brush off this warning. Update your applications, make sure your passwords are fresh and complicated. Specifically renew any financial institutions and email information.

There will be blood

:rolleyes:

You think that because we're conservative we don't practice continual internet safety?

As if you're the only smart person in the room?

That's dumb and dumber...

You think that because we're conservative we don't practice continual internet safety?

As if you're the only smart person in the room?

That's dumb and dumber...
Where did I mention ideology?

Oh good.

The Sgt. Spidey defensive posture.
Imply everything, specify nothing
and then resort to questions when
nailed to the wall by implication...

Oh good.

The Sgt. Spidey defensive posture.
Imply everything, specify nothing
and then resort to questions when
nailed to the wall by implication...

I specified PCs. You apparently can't understand words unless you tie it to an ideology or party

My anti-viral protection is up to date. But I worry that Win 10 is constantly updating security features, presumably because they have found holes in their software. But several times a week?

What is also worrying is that so many UK organisations rely on older operating systems such as Win XP and earlier. They are vulnerable to attack.

A government isn't going to be going after the home PC. Any maliciousness that takes place at that level will be collateral fallout. Our PC's do not understand the languages used by SCADA networks. Why go after John and Mary Lunchbucket when at the PLC level you can take out the entire food processing industry?

A government isn't going to be going after the home PC. Any maliciousness that takes place at that level will be collateral fallout. Our PC's do not understand the languages used by SCADA networks. Why go after John and Mary Lunchbucket when at the PLC level you can take out the entire food processing industry?
Hackers go after the weakest part of the chain and that's users. Getting onto the system via hacked passwords or manipulation of web servers.can be achieved from any approach.

There's a reason phishing exists....the elite hackers don't use it to get into your bank accounts...they use it to get into the banks network.

If you VPN into your company's network, then getting into your PC allows hackers to do the same.

My anti-viral protection is up to date. But I worry that Win 10 is constantly updating security features, presumably because they have found holes in their software. But several times a week?

What is also worrying is that so many UK organisations rely on older operating systems such as Win XP and earlier. They are vulnerable to attack.
Windows addresses everything once a month unless there is something critical found that has a high enough CVSS to be emergency. (Like log4j)

Best thing is to update your anti-malware/virus once or twice a week (or as recommended by the software) and look for updates every day for apps. If you've had the java update in your system tray longer than a week, you're doing it wrong.

Hackers go after the weakest part of the chain and that's users. Getting onto the system via hacked passwords or manipulation of web servers.can be achieved from any approach.

There's a reason phishing exists....the elite hackers don't use it to get into your bank accounts...they use it to get into the banks network.

If you VPN into your company's network, then getting into your PC allows hackers to do the same.
I hate to be the one to inform you that YOU are not part of the "critical infrastructure." Neither am I for that matter.

I hate to be the one to inform you that YOU are not part of the "critical infrastructure." Neither am I for that matter.
I know attack vectors in the IT****** fairly well, thanks. You attempting to inform me here is incredibly amusing.

It's not about you or I being a part of "critical infrastructure". It's that you may have a path to get there. Port scanners certainly won't waste time on your home network.

Back