The Painting Wanderer had nearly finished his work when the sun had almost completely set. Late evening was upon Kyoshi Island, but a lot of businesses still buzzed with people and kids even still played around the statue. Ever since the war ended, people had been more confident about staying outside even at late hours. The air began to chill a bit due to the lack of sun, but in a still refreshing manner. The young man then returned his painting utensils to his bag and sat silently, placing his fists together in an Airbender meditation state. It was something else he learned from his mother in order to keep the Chakra flow inside his body clear. Though this peaceful meditation was cut short due to a sudden growling noise. Glancing down, the golden eyed painter recognized this familiar sound. Slipping his hand into a belt pouch, he was greeted by a very faint chiming of moving coins, however when he removed them, he noticed they were only mostly copper pieces and a few silver. It would be another night with a very basic meal. He had to conserve or else he would run out of funds before he reached the Avatar.

As he reached town, he glanced between the various shops and corner vendors, smelling some rather compelling scents of dinner. As he continued down the main path, a particular vendor caught his eye, or what she was selling rather. Upon the wooden display rested various precisely carved figurines of familiar figures. Kyoshi, Roku, Aang and to his surprise, even Fire Lord Zuko. The young man grasped the figurine of Zuko and inspected the fine craftsmanship. The Painter had a lot of respect for his Lord, and the stern yet strangely vulnerable expression that the figure carried reminded him of when he performed for Zuko himself. His brother had performed first, and did so expertly. What he young man didn't know was his mischievous and competitive sibling had set up an invisible wire to trip him during his own performance. Sure enough, it worked, however he didn't stop, and he finished despite his mistake. While his father was angered that one of his sons would be so careless in front of the Fire Lord, Zuko personally approached the boy and told him about how he had done the same once. Zuko respected the young warrior's will to continue even though it was difficult, and it reminded him of himself.

Such words had stuck with him during this journey. It had been increasingly difficult hiding from people, shrouding his identity, but he had to keep going for the good of his Nation and for his own honor. He owed a lot to Zuko's inspiration. He could not let him down now. It had been about a minute since he picked up the figure, but he had become lost in the memories, therefore the passage of time seemed irrelevant. Finally, he was brought back to reality by the sound of a kind voice.

"You like that one? I can see you have similar eyes as he does..." An older woman spoke out. It was the stand owner. The man in the straw hat lowered his chin slightly to hide his eyes. He had been foolish, staring so fondly at something pertaining to his home. Anyone sharp enough would have known he was Fire Nation. However the woman didn't seem to, or if she did, she didn't seem to care.

"Oh, I'm just appreciating the work... It's exceptional..." He finally spoke out in a somewhat distant voice. The woman smiled as he placed it back down. He turned away to continue walking when a large, muscled man with a beard rushed up to the figure stand.

"Only sympathizers of the Fire Nation would keep junk like that!" The man growled, banging his fist on the stand, causing many of the figures to topple over. The Painter stopped, turning back to where he had just been standing, taking notice of the man. No, this was not his fight, he could not get involved with anything or else somehow he might be forced to give away his identity...

The woman pleaded with the man to stop, but he wouldn't listen. Civilians and tourists just watched uselessly as he howled about how his brother had been killed by the Fire Nation in the war, and he'd never forgive them. The angered man raised his arm as he was about to shove the rest of the figures off the counter when his hand was grasped from the side. He looked with angry green eyes down at the young man in the straw hat, easily holding back the larger arm.

"It would be best if you stopped what you are doing..." The young man stated calmly, but his politeness only seemed to anger the large, frustrated man more, who's name had been called out in the crowd as Toren. Toren growled and without warning took a swing at the wandering painter, whom swiftly angled back and dodged the blow.

"You must be a sympathizer too! I'm sick of people always actin' like the Fire Nation never did anything! Someone has to pay!" Toren growled, taking a few more swings at the Painter who simply rested his hands behind his back and stepped out of the way of every attack. "Are you gonna fight me or not, you coward?!"

"No, I believe you're making enough of a fool out of yourself without my assistance." The Painter spoke quietly, his eyes still hidden by the hat. More attacks came but all were so easily avoided that he yawned softly at the first break. Now infuriated, the bearded man drew out a scimitar from his belt, wasting no time in swiping it at his opponent. This was getting a bit more serious, so the young man released his arms in order to better balance his dodges. One upward strike actually came close enough to slice through the brim of his hat and knock it off of his head. The Painter now stood with his golden eyes revealed and chestnut hair wavering slightly in the breeze. Having had enough, Toren thrust his sword straight for the man's heart, but he simply stepped to the side and grabbed his hand, placing his thumb on a pressure point to make him instantly drop the weapon. The wanderer's foot then placed in front of the still moving man and tripped him to the ground.

The Painter picked up the weapon and twirled it expertly, causing sounds of audible sliced air, then pointed it at Toren's throat, who now shivered in fear. "W-wait.."

"Attacking innocent businesspeople. Harboring anger over a war long finished. Such blatant disrespect for your elders. This world is better off without you..." The Nomad whispered in a rather eerie tone. Something inside him told him to end it. Finish it now. That the world really would be better off. That voice was very familiar. His father's voice... He couldn't listen to it, not anymore... but before he had a chance to do anything, a yellow metal fan flew out from off to the side and knocked his sword away. There stood a young woman roughly his age in Kyoshi makeup and garments. One of the Kyoshi Island Warriors, no doubt.

"I won't have such barbaric acts present in my village. Both of you leave at once..." The young woman demanded, drawing out another fan. Toren scrambled to his feet and dashed away. The Painter sighed slightly and nodded, going to retrieve his hat and the blade that had been left behind. He then noticed the shop woman approach the warrior.

"Luna, this man was only helping save my shop.." She explained. The Warrior's face turned calmer as she approached the Painter, bowing slightly.

"My apologies. Thank you for helping my mother.." She said, a bit ashamed she had yelled at him moments before.

"Your mother..? Oh.. It was no trouble..." He said quietly, turning to walk away. Luna.. That name was so similar to one he used to know quite well. Did everything have to remind him of his past? However he didn't get far before his stomach growled again, causing Luna to giggle and take his hand.

"I can see you're not from around here. Please, join us for dinner. It is the least I can do to thank you..." She glanced away, seeming to avoid his eyes for fear of blushing if they met.

"I do not wish to be a bother..." He tried to escape the somewhat uncomfortable situation. He would never admit it, but he was rather weak to beautiful women. Something he had tried desperately to avoid ever since he lost one especially important to him. Though he realized his hunger wished this invitation, hence why he had not thought of a better excuse. After all, how could someone be a bother to the person that was inviting them in the first place?

"None at all. We enjoy the company. So I guess that means you have no more excuses left. Come on! As you probably know already, I'm Luna, one of the Kyoshi Island Warriors. Pleased to meet you... um..?" The girl smiled, even giggling slightly ass he took the Painter's gloved hand and guided him away.

"...Sai."

Last edited:
Their lips met, and Fumiko could feel the barely surpressed hunger in Sheng's body. It was both flattering a little frightening, that this level of desire could build in less than a day. But that thought only got halfway finished before she found herself dropping it and instead marvelling at how sweetly good it was.

Hesitantly, her arms slipped around his neck, almost as though she was afraid he would stop if she moved too fast. This feeling was amazing, and shocking; like being dropped into the water near the South Pole, but without the risk of freezing to death. In fact, feeling this warmth, she wondered if she'd ever feel cold again.

When she felt the tip of his tongue touch her lips, Fumiko almost pulled back in surprise. But after a split-second's hesitation, she parted her lips slightly, and felt his tongue slide in as easily as a goldfish in a stream.

For a moment, Sheng thought that maybe he’d been wrong about how good this was. Then her lips became alive and answered him, the warm softness pressing eagerly back. He felt warmth growing low in his body, driving away the pleasant chill of the night as though it had never been. Her arms went about his neck, cautiously enough that he almost chuckled, drawing them ever so slightly together.

He put his arms about her waist, again halving the little space between them. He did not hold her tightly as he wanted to, but loosely. She could easily step back and pull away if she wanted to. He didn’t want to frighten her. He wanted this only to be good, for them both.

Sheng moaned softly as his tongue entered her mouth. It was warm, wet, and alive, tasting faintly of the seasoned fish she’d had for dinner. He tasted and explored her, their lips still brushing and caressing. After a moment, her tongue engaged his, the two playfully dueling and grappling. He pulled his tongue back, with one last lick to hers, beckoning her to do as he had done.

She was a little sorry when his tongue left her mouth, but took the subtle hint and let her own follow his back into his mouth. With gentle, curious strokes, Fumiko explored Sheng's mouth the same way he had hers. His arms around her waist made her feel small and delicate, and she pressed slightly closer to him, eliminating the distance between their bodies. He felt good pressed against her, solid and warm, and it was easy to lose herself in the warm sensation of their kiss.

As Fumiko twined her fingers into his hair, the bell in the top of the temple rang midnight. She stepped back, turning to look at the window. Which was, of course, closed and shuttered. "I didn't realize it was so late," she said, blushing. Her hands slithered from his neck and went to push back hair that was already fine the way it was. "I'll . . . let you get back to sleep."

Impulsively, she leaned forward and kissed him again, hard and quick, and then headed to the door. "I'll see you in the morning." Fumiko opened the door and left the room quietly.

~ ~ ~ ~​

The room she and Fukiko shared was dark when she got back, but her sister was still awake and sitting on her bed. "Well? How was it?" When Fumiko just shook her head, Fukiko blew a gust of wind at her. "Fumiko! You have to tell me!"

Fumiko began to undo her hair and untie her obi. "It was . . . nice."

"Just nice?"

"I'm not telling you anything else about it."

"'Miko! C'mon, that's not fair!"

"Nope." A slither of silk hitting the floor, and she looked into the closet. "You packed for me? Thanks!"

"Welcome. Now will you tell me?"

Fumiko settled into her bed, and turned to face her sister, who was waiting eagerly. "Not a chance."

Sheng stared after Fumiko, wordlessly. That second, unexpected kiss had been so sudden, so fierce and hard, that it had quite stunned the young earhtbender. Fumiko was aptly a waterbender. She could change was quickly as the sea, it seemed. And had unknown depths as well. "...yeah...in the morning," he managed. "Good night."

Wow. He looked at the closed door, taking a few steps back and falling back onto the bed. Just...wow. What a kiss! He grinned, laughing softly. It was magical! He'd kissed lots of pretty girls, but...he hadn't felt sparks like that before! "This is going to be a good journey."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's risen with the dawn the next morning, as was his custom. He'd spent the early hours of the morning first taking a long and hot soak in the Temple baths, then went out to practice.

It was four hours past dawn when one of the monks came to get him. It was time to go, apparently. Sheng followed the shaven-headed young woman to one of the wide open courtyards of the temple. The Avatar's family was there, as was the great air bison Appa. The massive creature whuffed as Sheng approached. The youth bowed to Appa, then to the Avatar and his wife, tossing a wink and a smile the twins' way. "Is it time to go then?"

"Yes," Aang said. There was a smile on his face, but his eyes were sad. "This journey can't be delayed any longer. Out of need to get acquainted or...wanting to keep my daughters at home."

Katara nodded, "But before you go...we've prepared something for you. To help you on the road, however long it will be."

While they spoke, Sheng had moved over to stand next to Appa. This was something for the family. He'd stay out of the way until it was done. He reached into his tunic, pulling out a ripe papaya. "Hey, big guy. Friends, right?"

Fumiko yawned and hefted her pack on her shoulder. Next to her, Fukiko did the same thing, looking almost identical. Both of them, wisely, had dressed very practically in snug trousers, boots, and long-sleeved tunics made of Appa's shed fur that had been dyed and woven. They looked at their parents curiously. "Something to help us?" Fukiko grinned. "You're not coming with us, are you, father?"

Aang chuckled, shaking his head. "No matter how much I might want to, I can't." He looked over his shoulder. "Where is Sokka? I told him when you were leaving, and he's got something from me and his own gifts for you."

Katara made a face. "He said something about heading to the kitchens early to get breakfast."

"We'll be here all day," Fumiko grinned.

"Hey! I heard that!" Sokka ran up behind them and flicked both girls on the ear as he passed, managing somehow to juggle the things he was carrying as he did it. In his arms was what looked like a long piece of wood, a heavy belt, a folded piece of metal, and a fabric-wrapped package.

"Well, you do tend to take a while to fill up," Katara teased. Sokka stuck his tongue out at her, and they all laughed.

Aang smiled, more than a little sadly. "Now that Sokka's here, we can give you what we wanted to, and let you three get on your way." Reaching into his loose tunic, he pulled out a scroll of parchment and handed it to Fumiko. She took it and unrolled it carefully, then gasped. "Master Paku gave me that scroll when I learned from him."

She nodded and rolled it back up carefully, slid it into her pack, and threw her arms around his neck. "Thank you, daddy."

He held her tightly for a moment, then patted her back. "You're welcome, 'Miko. Use it to make your own techniques. Don't follow the path laid out by others all the time." They separated, and Fumiko wiped at her face, flicking the tears away and into the fountain nearby. Aang held out his hand to Sokka, who shifted his load of items and handed Aang the stick. The Avatar snapped it, and two layers of wings snapped out. He presented it to Fukiko. "Your own glider." With a grin, he twisted a little handle near the top. "With a snack compartment."

Fukiko was gaping at the glider, and took it with shaking hands. Then her face lit up with a wild grin, and she snapped it shut before hugging her father as tightly as her sister had. "Thank you, Daddy. This means the world to me."

As they parted, Katara smiled fondly at her husband, who had taken a step back, watching the rest of them for a moment before nodding to them and moving over to where Shen-Tu was standing near Appa. The Avatar's wife reached for the necklace she was wearing, which had a small vial on the end. "For you, Fumiko. Water from the North Pole Spirit Oasis." She glanced at her brother, who was studying the vial sadly. "Infused with some of the power of the Moon Spirit."

Fumiko blinked at it, then reached out to take the vial, letting the chain drape over her hand. "Mother, it . . . thank you." The two waterbenders hugged, and the water in the fountain surged behind them, sending up a spray nearly as high as the balconies on the temple.

Then Katara turned to her other daughter, pulling out a small hair comb. It was shaped vaguely like a breaking wave, and placed it in Fukiko's hand. "This belong to the most powerful waterbender I ever met, who was also the least ethical. Remember, Fukiko, that your power is to help others, even if it is great and rare." She smiled softly. "That's the most important lesson I could teach you, and I hope you carry it with you."

Instead of answering before she hugged her mother, Fukiko bowed deeply. "I'll treasure both the comb and the lesson, mother." They hugged tightly, and Katara placed the comb gently into her daughter's hair, at the base of the practical braid the girl wore, and then stepped back, glancing at her brother.

"My turn finally, huh? Always last," Sokka joked. Then sobriety won out, and he flung the belt over his shoulder as he reached behind him and pulling his boomerang sheath off his back and handing it, boomerang and all, to Fumiko.

"I . . . Uncle Sokka, your boomerang? I can't accept this."

He closed her hands around the weapon. "It's fine, Fu. It's a boomerang, remember? Always comes back." The smile on his face wasn't as stong or full of humor as it might have been, and he pulled her into a hug. "You'll come back if you have it, I know it," he whispered, and she nodded against his shoulder.

They pulled apart, and he handed the folded metal to Fukiko. "It's one of your Aunt Suki's fans. You can either use it as a weapon, or just to amplify your bending." As Aang and Sheng walked over, Sokka flicked the fan open, then closed, and presented it to Fukiko.

"Thank you, Uncle." She held the fan to her chest, eyes wide. "Tell Aunt Suki I'll use it well." She hugged him, the fan still in her hand, tears in her eyes. This was harder than any of them had anticipated, and she was a little afraid now that she might never see this place or these beloved faces again.

Sokka brushed her hair out of her face and smiled. "Of course you will, Fu. And you'll tell us all about it when you get back." He looked at Sheng with a more serious expression. "I've got something for your companion as well, if Aang is done with him?"

Sheng was scratching the base of Appa's horn as the gift giving and teary hugs were taking place. He felt like an intruder here. It also made him think of his own family. He sighed bitterly.

"It feels terrible, doesn't it?" Sheng stood up straight, turning to see the lean frame of the Avatar next to him, stroking the arrow on the great bison's head. "Being around family stuff and not being part of the family?" Sheng looked a bit chagrined at being caught, but nodded. "When I met someone from Katara and Sokka's past for the first time, and they were happily reminiscing and enjoying a camaraderie and love I wasn't part of, it felt awful. I felt so alone"

"I feel like I'm intruding," Sheng said in a low voice, "and..."

"It reminds you of your family in Ba Sing Se," Aang finished for him. Sheng nodded, his face serious.

"How long have you known?"

Aang smiled a little, "I was pretty sure when I first saw you, then when I heard your name, it was a lock. Haven't you ever thought about using an alias? Why not Li? There's thousands of Lis."

Sheng smirked a bit, "I don't want to be just anyone. I want to build up my name and reputation, not some imaginary person's. The whole point of the journey is to find out who I am...why use another name?"

The Avatar chuckled. "At least you've got a good reason. But...I do know who you are, Sheng-Tu, which is why I'm trusting you with this, and with my daughters. I know you're a man of honor, wit, and nobility. And I know that you understand how important it is to the Earth Kingdom that the Avatar cycle continues." He was silent a moment, "Sheng...you know that this quest will take you back to Ba Sing Se."

Sheng turned back to face Appa, a distant pain in his eyes. "I know."

"You're going to have to face it." Aang's voice was a little sad, but mostly firm, almost commanding.

"...I know that too." The young earthbender closed his eyes, hearing that scream again. "Mother..." The eyes opened, "I haven't been back since then, you know. I used the trip as an excuse, but...it was really because I didn't want to face it, face them, face her again. Not very earthbender of me, is it?"

"Maybe not," Aang said, then laid a hand on the youth's shoulder, "but it's very human of you. I know you'll face it, Sheng-Tu, and you'll come out stronger. I believe in you. Toph doesn't choose wrong when it comes to people." Then he stepped back a bit, "And yes, I'm done with him, Sokka."

"Good." The Water Tribe Chief eyed Sheng, "I have something for you too. But first...don't touch my nieces, you got that?"

"Sokka," Katara growled, "Don't. Not now, it'll be bad luck for the trip."

"Fine," Sokka threw his hands up, then gave Sheng a glare, "but watch it. Anyway...this is for you." He thrust forward a large belt, the leather band covered with hammered brass plating, the front piece a massive slab of gold inlaid jade.

Sheng stared a moment, "Is that...it is! The Earth Rumble Champion's Belt, the real one! It's been missing for decades!" He reached out to take the belt from Sokka, holding it reverently. "Sifu won this when she was a girl..."

"Yeah, she did." Sokka was smiling pleasantly, at fond memories. "And she gave it to me a while back. it's nice and all, but I lost the bag that goes with it, so you might as well have it."

Sheng threw the belt over his shoulder, and then bowed low. "Chief Sokka, thank you. This is a treasure that carries great face with it. There have been Earth Rumbles since, but...a new belt had to be made, to have the first one...it'll earn me a lot of glory to return it. Thank you, sir, very much."

Sokka was reminded of another young warrior who'd been eager to earn the respect of others. Damn it, why was he starting to like this kid? "You'll earn it, Sheng." He walked forward, clasping the young man's hand in Water Tribe warrior handshake. As he did so, Sheng's eyes narrowed, and then he nodded.

Sokka stood back, "All right then. Time to get you kids going, you're wasting the whole day!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheng sat at the back of Appa's 'saddle', leaning back against it, trying to be nonchalant. His arms ran over the sides of it, hopefully unseen as they gripped the frame of the carrying device for dear life. "Spirits save my poor, fallen, broken body," he whispered.

Fukiko was steering Appa - the air bender felt more comfortable without being in the 'saddle' than her sister, and neither had even considered Sheng as a possibility- and she kept glancing back at the other two, half-wishing she could go back and talk with them. Hollering over the rush of wind wasn't convenient at all, and she knew it had been a while since Appa had been to Kyoshi Island, so she wanted to guide him a little. And, if she were totally honest with herself, she loved feeling the wind in her face, streaming her hair back, and it was hard to get that feeling in Appa's saddle. She sighed and contented herself with glancing back now and then.

"You know," Fumiko said with a sympathetic smile as she crawled over to sit next to Sheng and noticed his hands holding the railing, "I was so sick from my first time flying that I threw up. On Appa." She grinned. "I don't advise it." Resting one hand on his leg, she tilted her head. "If it helps, you get used to it pretty fast."

~ ~ ~ ~​

A few hours later, they landed on Kyoshi Island, near the beach. Appa grumbled over the sand under his feet, but Fumiko patted his shoulder. "It's okay, Appa. We're heading into the village, you don't have to stay here and get all sandy."

Both the girls - and Appa as well - we amused at Sheng's reaction to their landing. The young earthbender had almost tumbled out of the saddle and down the barn-sized bison's flank to land in a heap on the sand, breathing hard, eyes shut. Fukiko and Fumiko grinned and leaned against Appa, watching as he recovered his equilibrium.

The Unagi thrust up from under the water with a roar, causing them all to jump, and Fumiko giggled. She reached out, concentrating hard, and pulled up a ball of water that she quickly shaped into her goldfish, just the size of the Unagi's giant head. It circled the huge sea creature, who eyed this new 'friend' suspiciously before chomping at it, breaking it into a heavy rain all around it.

Fukiko shuddered. "Vicious."

"Nonsense! He's playing!" Fumiko gathered herself and made another water-fish, moving it faster this time, letting the Unagi chase it for a while before he caught it. She giggled again. "See? We're having fun!" Idly, making a whip that circled around the Unagi and letting it nip at the tail of the whip, she added, "Father rode him, you know."

"No, 'Miko."

"No what?"

Fukiko stepped between her twin and the monster. "You are not riding it. End of story."

Putting on a lofty expression and letting her water whip drop, Fumiko said, "We'll see. I haven't decided what I want to do yet."

"Whatever you say, sister." Fukiko sighed and shook her head before turning to the man who was sitting back, his hands buried in the sand. "Ready to head into the village, Sheng?"

~ ~ ~ ~​

They walked into the village, and looked around with interest. They were lucky they hadn't been stopped and captured by Kyoshi warriors before now, but perhaps Appa had helped. No one but airbenders rode them, and most all of the airbenders were on good terms with the island.

Near the stalls on one side of the island was a man in a straw hat, painting. Fukiko spotted him first, and went to look over his shoulder at what he was doing while the others looked over the stalls and watched to be sure she wasn't going to get herself in trouble.

She smiled at the picture on the canvas. "That's great," she said softly, standing behind the painter.

(Last post confused me somewhat. Not sure if you were talking to him in the time before my last post, or that you perhaps missed my last post altogether, so I rectified it by just making him back there again the following day, which I planned to do anyways, heh.)

Sai sat quietly at the table of the small but well kept home that Luna and her mother resided in. There was a bit of an awkward silence about as the mother cooked the dinner and Luna herself was removing her makeup and changing into something more appropriate for a dinner guest. It made the painter a bit self-conscious about his own rather ragged clothing. In three years of travel, his choices of garments were getting rather limited and worn. Well, that was to be expected. Dinner invites, on the other hand...

The aroma of a meat stew filled the air and easily watered the chestnut haired nomad's taste buds. It had been a little while since he had a meal that wasn't cooked with Firebending and a stick. "Dinner will be ready in a few minutes!" The gentle older woman called out to which continued to wait patiently. Did he really deserve this? Truth be told, he didn't particularly care about the woman's shop back there, but rather the fact that the man was speaking so negatively about his home and his Lord, someone he looked up to. Probably the only person he looked up to still living, at least. Well, and The Avatar, but everyone looked up to him, so that didn't count. Zuko was the one who taught the Avatar firebending. That was something to be proud of, especially after the past he had.

Sai's thoughts were interrupted when one of the bedroom doors opened to reveal Luna, with her dark brown hair cascading down her back, dressed in a lovely emerald and yellow gown, but more notably without the Kyoshi Warrior makeup. He couldn't help but stare. She really was beautiful, and it didn't take her long to notice the eyes fixated on her. With a slight blush, Luna gracefully approached the table and sat down next to Sai, despite the immense amount of room at other areas. "Hope this'll do for dinner. How do I look?" She said with a wink.

Sai blinked, his eyes taking a good long look at Luna once more before returning to her face. "You look..." Radiant? Gorgeous? Divine? Heavenly? "..acceptable."

Not the winning response, but he had to watch what he said to women. The brown haired traveler turned his face away in order to stop himself from staring any longer. Luna just chuckled at such a response. "I can tell you're a real ladykiller."

Eventually the mother came over and set down the bowls of stew, along with some fluffy rolls and a fine smelling Jasmine tea. "Mother, would it kill ya to ask me for some help once in a while?" Luna said in a mock scolding tone. The older woman just smirked and looked between her daughter and the guest. It was evident by the look in her eyes that guests did not come often, and she was one of those parents that adored when her daughter had an eye on a boy that wasn't covered in tattoos or something of the sort. This was quickly taking a turn for the worse, at least in Sai's mind. Nonetheless, he smiled warmly and bowed his head.

"Thank you for the dinner, it looks delicious..." He spoke quietly, beginning to eat as the ladies did. Of course, Luna continuously watched Sai with interest, and as he predicted, the questioning began.

"So, Sai, since we already established you're not from around here, where are you from?" Luna smiled in between bites of a roll. The typical question he got when people attempted to be friendly. Of course, these people seemed sincere, but it didn't mean he was going to tell them the truth.

"Just.. the middle ring of Ba Sing Se." He replied as if it were honest. Ba Sing Se was the most obvious choice for a faux home. It was exceptionally large so even if someone else retaliated by saying they too were from there, he could get away with not knowing people or places said person may have.

"Oh, I've always wanted to go there. Just looking over that city from the monorail is probably quite a sight. So what do you do?" Luna continued, not wasting any time getting to know her guest.

"I work at a print shop. I do the art for people who request various business posters, even wanted posters sometimes. I enjoy it. The variety of requests really helps me stay sharp with the brush. I'm traveling now in order to paint certain landmarks personally, like the statue out there." Sai smiled. It was hard to remember the last time he told someone anything true about himself. Did that make him some sort of sociopath? No, he had good reasons. If people knew what he was.. who he was.. A lot of trouble would be caused. Luna bought the tale easily, though and continued to eat. The food truly was delicious, but he knew he couldn't get too used to it. Another day and he'd be back to hunting rabbit-squirrels and the like.

"Well according to what I heard on our walk here, you're not too bad at fighting either. Do you have professional training?" Luna tilted her head a bit, seemingly curious that a painter was also a fighter. That question wasn't quite expected. Very rarely did he have to give away his skills in public, so his lie for that wasn't as well prepared.

"Oh, well.. My.. father knew some things. Taught me.." Sai struggled a bit with the sentence. Why did he have to say father? That was the last person he wanted to talk about, and chances were she'd want to know more, and he'd have to go on about how his father was some great person for some reason or another. Thankfully, she just nodded and continued to eat. The idle chat continued for a bit until dinner was finished and the mother cleaned up, refusing any help from her daughter or Sai. As Sai feared, Luna guided him back outside to a somewhat secluded spot overlooking the water from the island. The moon was beaming down heavily now, illuminating the whole area with a calm pale light. Appropriate, for the woman's name. They talked a bit more, though Sai's answers continued to be short and to the point. Obviously, Luna wished something else out of this moment, and it was even more apparent by the way she inched herself closer.

"As much as I'd love to travel, I'm sure no place will ever seem as beautiful as Kyoshi Island on nights like this..." She whispered, looking from the moon to Sai's golden gaze. The wanderer didn't reply, unknowing what a sufficient response would be, but it didn't matter, the full lips were already moving on on him. He thought for a moment that perhaps he could finally give it a shot, let go of the past, but just before they kissed, he backed away. He had a mission, and he couldn't afford to get anyone else hurt...

"I'm sorry... I can't. Maybe someday I can explain..." Sai whispered, turning away and walking off. Luna just watched silently, then turned back to the moon. Some people had secrets, and she had seen through Sai more than he expected. There were a lot of regrets in his eyes. She only hoped that he might return someday when those were finally dealt with..

Sai eventually reached his belongings and retrieved them. Afterwards, he headed to a small patch of the island near the railings and simply laid down, placing his had over his face without even bothering to set up a camp. He let her get too close. He let her see too much, even if he was convincing. He couldn't let that happen. He couldn't let someone else get hurt for being involved with him. Sai finally drifted off to sleep with these thoughts in mind.

--

The next day, Sai returned to where he had sat before, once again with a canvas in front of him. This time, his hat was over his eyes more in order to shield his own view from the Kyoshi statue. This time he would paint the same picture without seeing it. It was a technique used as a warrior, and an artist. Some would argue his look before was too long, that he was only supposed to get a glimpse, however his standards were different. He had to paint the exact same thing, or else it would be a failure. It was a good way to stay skilled while waiting for the ferry. He knew he was getting close to the Avatar's home. Hopefully, Aang would believe what he had to say, and help him...

This obstruction of vision prevented Sai from noticing the arrival of a very recognizable flying bison, and he would have never looked up from his canvas had it not been for a soft female voice speaking appreciation for his work. He took a moment to look back at her, only to be rather struck by her immense beauty. He mentally cursed his weakness to women and smiled politely, barely giving her a glimpse of his golden eyes.

"Thank you, I appreciate you saying so." He spoke calmly. This girl somehow seemed familiar. Not in the sense that he knew her personally, but knew her in some way.

Last edited:
Fukiko

(My fault, I should have been more specific. I did mean the next day, and thank heavens you'd planned to do it, I wouldn't have wanted to screw it up for you :) )

The man seemed shy, and Fukiko watched him for a few minutes more before asking, "How can you see with your hat down like that?" She was aware, vaguely, of her sister and Sheng keeping an eye on her, making sure she wasn't being foolish. Which wasn't outside the realm of possibility, really; she was impulsive and . . . well, let's face it, a little bit of an airhead sometimes. But this half-done painting of Kyoshi was truly good, and if he truly was blocking his vision of it . . . she was intrigued.

And the glimpse of golden eyes that she had seen beneath the hat intrigued her more. Fukiko wondered if she should take a second and put on gloves to hide her airbending tattoos. There weren't many airbenders, and fewer female airbenders. Anyone who saw them would know what she was, and her age would be a dead-giveaway to her parentage. But eventually, she decided not to bother. Kyoshi Island was friendly, after all, and the world was at peace, so she should be safe.

Pushing her hair behind her ears, she knelt down next to the man, looking at the painting - she got the feeling that if she tried to look at him, he'd feel even less comfortable than he already did. "Are you painting Avatar Kyoshi from memory? I'm impressed."

The golden eyed painter didn't reply at first, as he was a bit too focused on the exquisite beauty of the woman who had approached him. Her long, dark hair basically flowed down her body like a river, conforming to every curve it rested against naturally. Her skin appeared almost untouched by the universe, leaving it as a perfect, smooth surface to be admired. Then of course, her eyes... Wait, he couldn't fall victim to this yet again. Before he could force his gaze away from the divine woman, his eyes couldn't help but trail her body again, though he did so quite subtly. That was when he noticed the tattoos on her hands. Arrows. A signature trait of the Airbender. Was this girl one?

Sai's eyes widened slightly and he quickly turned his gaze back to the painting to hide his surprise. This had to be one of the Avatar's daughters. She matched the age and description he had heard about. Still, he couldn't assume anything. There was always the chance that it was a coincidence. Perhaps she was some other Airbender? That wasn't likely, considering how few there were. Perhaps she was just fond of the Avatar. He wasn't really sure if mimicking his tattoos was taboo or not, but he knew he had seen a few people and kids who liked to replicate that quality in his honor. Finally, he remembered her question and stopped analyzing for a moment to return back to the painting.

"I don't. I painted this yesterday." He said, flipping the page back to reveal the previous Kyoshi statue painting, his eyes closed as he did, in order not to cheat. What could he say to her to somehow get her to confirm her identity? Asking right out seemed a bit rude, especially since he wasn't sure if she was trying to hide it or not. He didn't particularly like when people saw through his aliases and such and tried to pry into his true self. When she knelt next to him, he smiled again, keeping his eyes on the canvas this time. The brush strokes were coming quick and easy, as if he didn't have to think about it at all. When she inquired if this was out of memory, he nodded lightly.

"It's not uncommon for artists to test their memory on things such as this. You never know when a perfect image will come along that you wish to capture, but you only have a moment to see it. It's actually part of the basics, but I find you can never really master anything unless you keep every area sharp... But thank you, once again. It's been a while since anyone has seen my work and said anything without me prodding them to." Sai chuckled briefly.

After continuing silently for a moment, he glanced back at the gorgeous woman. "Though, as much respect I have for Avatar Kyoshi, I would much rather grace the canvas with your unique beauty sometime." He knew it sounded a bit flirty, which he knew he had to be careful with, but it was mostly to get her to mention a sister. A twin sister, of course, therefore making her beauty not so 'unique'. The Avatar had twins, and it would be more convincing proof of her identity. However, that didn't mean what he said wasn't true. She was breathtaking, and beautiful women really were his subject of choice when it came to his art.

Fukiko

His stare was flattering, and Fukiko found herself turning slightly pink. Most men who came to the Southern Air Temple were afraid to look at her as anything other than the Avatar's daughter, or as an airbender, so his attention was both gratifying and embarrassing for her. "I'm honored, but 'unique' might be a little much." She glanced at her hands, and the blue arrows there, with a small smile. "Of course, my twin sister doesn't have these, so I suppose I am rather unique."

She nodded at the painting. "I've heard about doing that, though." She smiled a little wistfully, amazed that they weren't even a day gone from home and she already missed it. "My uncle, when he was learning the sword had to do that."

Fukiko extended one hand. "I'm Fukiko, from the Southern Air Temple." Then she looked at the painting. "I'm sorry, am I distracting you? I can go back to my sister and our companion."

"Twins? The world really is blessed, then." He smiled again, taking another look at the lovely woman beside him. That pretty much settled it, this was indeed the Avatar's daughter. "But I'm sure you're still unique. Everyone is in their own way."

The real question now was, did this help him in any way? Asking her to take him to her father seemed a bit blunt. Besides, the Avatar was probably a busy person and didn't just see everyone who showed up. Still, if he knew what Sai did, then he'd probably be willing to listen. She continued to speak, mentioning about her uncle using his painting technique for sword fighting. That was interesting, considering that was where he had learned the technique as well.

"That's right. Being a good fighter means being able to take in all aspects of your surroundings, even if you can't focus on them. Helps you better utilize your terrain in a battle. Though, I'm sure he mentioned that to you so you can ignore my ramblings." Sai chuckled softly. Being friendly and earning the girl's trust would be a good first step, at least. She introduced herself next, holding out her hand. The painter slipped his brush into his left hand and took the woman's, immediately taking note of how perfectly soft the skin was. The Avatar family certainly had remarkable genes.

"I'm Sai from... well, you name it, and I was probably from there at some point." He chuckled again, trying to keep personal information somewhat up in the air at the moment. "And yes, actually you are distracting me... but it's quite a welcome distraction. Not every day a beautiful woman stops to appreciate my art.. not even every year, for that matter."

Sai set his brush and canvas aside, turning more toward Fukiko. "I should confess that I recognized you as the Avatar's daughter fairly early. So I just wished to express that it's an honor to meet you." He clasped one hand over the other, bowing slightly from where he sat. For a split second he nearly had bowed as they would in the Fire Nation. That would have certainly made the day cloudy. He remembered she mentioned traveling with a companion, but it likely wasn't the Avatar himself or she probably would have stated so. He knew asking more personal things may scare her off, but her friendly attitude seemed to suggest he could get a question or two in. "Are you here on some sort of business?"

Sheng smiled as he looked around the village. He'd last been to Kyoshi Island about...15 months ago? Close to that. It didn't look like much had changed, though that was to be expected. Cut off from the mainland the way it was, it was natural that things moved a little slower here. He leaned up against a persimmon tree, watching as Fumiko examined the fruits and fish on display at the vendors.

His eyes rested on the sight on her, radiant even in the modest traveling clothes she wore. That incident at the beach was enlightening. She was more like her sister than she let on. Speaking of which...where had Fukiko gone?

He spied her talking to a youth about their age, maybe a little older. There was an easel and a canvas in front of him. A painter? They were talking pleasantly, even animatedly in Fukiko's case. Then she suddenly blushed. Hmmm.

He was supposed to be here to protect them. This probably wasn't anything, but...Lady Katara had said herself that the girls had never really been out in the world before. There were bad men here, who often looked and acted very nice toward beautiful young girls. If this painter was that type, he'd bit off more than he could chew. Fukiko was a master airbender. But...if he was, she shouldn't have to deal with even the threat of...of that. No woman should.

"Hey, looks like your sister's found a friend. Let's say hello." Sheng walked that way slowly, half-lidding his eyes as his feet touched the earth, and seeing what they could tell him about this painter. Steady on his feet. Sure. His breath was a little fast...although that might just be Fukiko. She'd done that to Sheng the other night.

"Hey, Fukiko!" The green clad earthbender smiled as he approached, "What'd you find? Or who, I guess." He stood behind Fukiko, looking over her at the painter. His eyes slid to the side once, examining the piece. "Nice work, friend."

Fukiko smiled wryly at Sai, bowing in return. "I should have known that you'd recognize the tattoos, and put it together." She tucked her hair behind her ears again, shrugging. "It's not that big an honor; I'm not my father, after all. Just a young airbender who happens to be here on an errand for her father." With a small smile, she tipped her head to one side. This guy was interesting, sweet without being too flirtatious, and very secretive.

"We are on business, of a sort." Her eyes were wide and open, even though she was planning on avoiding anything more specific as an answer. "As I said, it's an errand for my father. What about you, Sai? Here for business, or just on vacation?"

Before he could answer, she saw her sister and Sheng coming over, and sighed. Even though they were both 19, Fumiko had never really trusted her sister alone, and the face that Fukiko had gone off alone without even a word sort of reinforced the idea that she could be in trouble on her own.

She looked up at Sheng, smiling brightly. "He calls himself Sai. He's painting Kyoshi's statue from memory." Gesturing gracefully to her sister and Sheng, she said, "Sai, this is my twin sister Fumiko, and Sheng-Tu."

Fumiko bowed slightly, and raised an eyebrow at her sister. The fact that she was the more level-headed twin, and was still pondering riding a giant sea monster was a hint that both of them had perhaps inherited their father's sense of adventure. But talking to strange men in strange places when they were supposed to be looking for something important . . . . "Pleased to meet you, Sai."

Sheng couldn't help but smile when Fukiko grinned at him like that. Only a dead man wouldn't when a girl that pretty smiled at him. Much like her sister, she moved with an effortless grace that was comely to the warrior in him, as well as the man.

He looked at Sai, the smile still on his face. Twins. "The world is a place of great blessings and beauty, isn't it? Nice to meet you, Sai." He looked at the picture. "Painting from memory is impressive, and your style is excellent." Art was something he'd been around from a young age, he had something of a knowledge and appreciation for it. However, he noted what Sai was doing. Painting from memory was a training technique for artists, but also for warriors and benders.

Now that they were closer though, the youth's clothes told him other things. "...You're a wanderer, aren't you?" Sheng looked a bit sheepish, "Sorry, that's rude, it's just that, well, I am too. I've been traveling the world for about three years now, just going where the road takes me."

Sai smiled gently at the girl's modesty. Being the daughter of the Avatar not an honor? Well, he could understand not feeling special just because you were the offspring of someone important. Someone such as her probably wished to be recognized for herself and her own talents, rather than that of her father's. "Well, Airbending is quite an admirable skill in itself, so that is something to be proud of at least..." It was true. Airbenders were incredibly rare, but it was a major step up from a hundred years having gone by without a single one, and only one rising to teach the rest.

When Fukiko added that they were on an errand for their father, Sai nodded slightly. Perhaps this was a way in. He could inquire if they needed help, but from the sound of it, the beautiful girl was here with her twin sister and a companion. The likelyhood that they would require his assistance probably wasn't very high, and the fact that she neglected to mention what the business was made it fairly clear she wasn't really interested in sharing that information with a stranger. When she inquired about his own reasons for being at the Island, Sai paused momentarily. He could be honest. He could tell her everything, but what if they didn't believe him? What if they distrusted the Fire Nation for the war? He could potentially set himself back, or even ruin his chances at ever seeing The Avatar.

Though he didn't even get a chance to answer before a couple of figures approached. Sai glanced up, still mostly hiding beneath his hat. It was obvious who they were, mainly because the girl looked exactly like Fukiko. The look she gave her sister was proof that he couldn't just offer his help, as she didn't seem to wish her sibling talking to strangers. An understandable reaction, especially from a protective family member. Though his mind did wander a moment. The world truly was blessed to be graced with not only one girl with such divine beauty, but two of them. Fukiko had gone ahead and introduced him, then returned with introductions of her sister and their companion.

The man, Sheng-Tu, complimented his art, then agreed with his earlier statement about a blessed world. It was fairly clear from the man's clothing, as well as his name, that he was from the Earth Kingdom. Probably Ba Sing Se, which meant he would have to be careful when using that as his fake home. From his build, he wouldn't be surprised if this Sheng fellow was an Earthbender. At least, he figured he'd need some sort of talent to be escorting these ladies. In fact, the more Sai thought, the more the man's name sounded somewhat familiar. The sister, Fumiko, hesitated a bit before greeting him, giving her sister another look before doing so. Being friendly with all of them might be more difficult than he thought.

"The pleasure is mine, of course." Sai replied softly, looking at Fumiko as he spoke, but eventually turning his gaze to Sheng who complimented his artistic skill again. "Thank you, though I've been doing it for quite some time, so memory painting is actually a fairly early technique for practice, but like I just said to Fukiko here, it never hurts to stay sharp on the basics..."

The Sheng fellow was also fairly observant, correctly identifying Sai as a wanderer, but it wasn't terribly hard to deduce from his clothing. "You would be correct. And that's the only way to travel, really. Let the world map out your course. I was actually hoping to see the Southern Air Temple soon... so to answer your earlier question, Fukiko, my being here is simply just a happenstance of fate. I was a bit tired of sitting in a shop and drawing what people told me to. I wanted to record some more recognizable landscapes and landmarks in person, like the statue of our friend, there..."

The way the conversation was going, he could tell Fumiko would likely pull her sister away, no matter how interesting he made himself seem. Perhaps it was just best to let them go and continue to the Avatar on his own, but his instincts were telling him that perhaps these girls and their friend had a similar goal. He couldn't put his finger on it, but if they did leave, he would at least need to keep an eye on them for a little while...

Last edited:
"Sounds like a good idea," Sheng offered. "Sifu says that there are only two important questions in life, and you can only find them both in a journey." He paused, thinking a moment, "Of course, she also said that the seeking was more important than the finding...still don't know what that meant."

A few small groups had congregated at some of the nearby shops, gathered in deep, fervent conversation. Occasionally a head would pop out of the group and look back at the four youths. The arrival of an air bison, and not just ANY bison but Appa himself, had not gone unnoticed.

Sheng looked around, seeing the small groups. "They might be figuring out we've got two genuine celebrities here. Or they just know astonishing beauties when they see them." This guy seemed all right, even if he was hiding some things. What wanderer didn't? He had his own secrets he'd prefer to keep. "I think I'm going to head up to Kyoshi's temple and see what's there."

He took one of the hands of each girl, bowing over them and kissing them, "By your leave, my ladies," he grinned. As he bent over Fukiko's hand, he winked at her and whispered, "Have fun, but be careful. Not all wanderers are nice." Then he straightened up. "Unless, of course, anyone wants to come along?"

Fumiko smiled at Sai, then nudged Sheng. "If he'd been a day earlier, you both could have fallen down our wall together." She turned her smile to Sheng. "I'll go with you, I think. But give me a second?" There was nothing to be done about her sister's apparent interest in the man, but . . . Fumiko tugged on her sister's sleeve. "'Kiko, come look at these fans." She smiled again, apologetically this time. "I hope you gentlemen will excuse us. You know how women are with shopping."

As they reached the stall where souvenir fans were being sold, Fumiko hissed, "What are you doing?"

"What?"

"We're supposed to be looking for something that will help identify the next Avatar, and you're talking to interesting painters!"

Fukiko crossed her arms, looking at her sister challengingly. "Rrrreally, 'Miko? Just like last night, when we were supposed to be resting up, not making out with interesting earthbenders?"

"Okay, okay, okay. But I don't think he's telling us the whole truth."

"Neither is Sheng. What's your point?"

They glared at each other, and finally the shopkeeper cleared his throat. "Ladies? Could I interest you in . . . ?"

"No, thank you," they said in unison. Then the twins looked at each other, and started giggling.

Fumiko sighed. "Okay, so I was being unreasonable."

"And hypocritical. Don't forget that."

"And hypocritical, thank you, I love when you point out my shortcomings. Regardless, let's go back and I can apologize."

Fukiko slung an arm around her sister's shoulders. "Good plan, elder sister."

Last edited:
Sai listened to Sheng as he repeated some of his teacher's words. They seemed meaningful, but like his fellow traveler, Sai didn't quite grasp their intention either. Perhaps it was a lesson about the journey being more important than the destination, but that didn't really make much more sense to him either. It really depended on the destination. For Sai, it was The Avatar, and he couldn't possibly see how his three years traveling meant more than that. He hadn't exactly learned much that would help him. Three years... Come to think of it, Sheng said he had been wandering for that amount of time as well. Just a coincidence though, but seeing that the man appeared his age, it gave him a bit more insight into how his mind probably worked. Not that it made any difference now, but every bit of information on a person helped.

It was then that the dark haired man pointed out that they were being discussed by some of the town folk. Sai's eyes narrowed slightly. This was backfiring on him a bit. He forgot to take into consideration the attention that it would bring him to hang around the Avatar's daughters. The last thing he needed was attention, and the possibility of someone recognizing him. It wasn't likely, but it also wasn't worth the risk. Still, he couldn't ignore the fact that befriending them would help immensely in his quest. As Sheng commented on visiting Kyoshi's Temple, he noticed him speak something to Fukiko first. Sai had a pretty good idea of what it was. He couldn't blame them for not totally trusting him, after all he was lying, but it was for the best right now.

"No, thank you, I think I'll finish up here first." Sai replied to the offer to join for the temple visit. He wasn't really interested in artifacts and trinkets about an Avatar long gone. Though, he might change his mind if Fukiko decided to go. The brown haired painter sighed at himself. Was he really falling for her already? He had become so much better at resisting the allure of a beautiful woman. He couldn't let them impair his judgment, but most of all, he didn't want to get attached to someone only for them to get hurt just for being involved with him like in the past.. But this girl.. She was different. As he watched Fukiko get dragged away by her sister, he knew what they were speaking of as well, especially since they didn't really seem interested in the fans they went over to see. Fumiko definitely seemed to have a slightly more mature aura about her, but that also made her skeptical by nature, which had it's advantages and disadvantages. Fukiko radiated with a sense of adventure and a need to try new things. Twins, with different personalities, it wasn't unfamiliar to him. Despite those differences, however, they seemed to get along which he noted as they started heading back, Fukiko with her arm over her sister.

It must have been nice to have a sibling, a twin sibling, that liked you, respected you.. The thought of such made Sai take on a slightly depressed expression for a moment until he noticed the sisters returning, in which he quickly put back on the slight smile, once again holding his brush and working at the canvas.

Sheng nodded, watching them go off. "...Makes me miss my brother and sister a little," he said casually to the painter. Sheng spared the man another glance, "Actually, maybe if you're still going to be here tonight, you could eat with us. With all the places you've been and seen...well, I'd just like to ask about if you've been to the monuments or temples of any other Avatars. Though I do understand wanting to pay respects to the best...well, second best first." Kyoshi had been an earthbender, after all. There was some pride involved here. And she was his kind of woman.

Sheng noticed that Sai was back to painting though, and shrugged. He watched the girls talking with a smile on his face. He still couldn't get over them. They were both fun, bright, witty, and jaw droppingly gorgeous. It was just...if he hadn't hit the beach so hard earlier, he'd swear this whole thing was some crazy dream. The wandering painter looked oddly downcast, and Sheng chuckled. "Don't look so down, man, they're coming back. Look at that and tell me it doesn't make you smile?"

So entranced by the girls was Sheng, he didn't notice that there was a small knot of people who were watching the whole group steadily. They were travelers as well, and unlike many, were armed. They spoke among themselves in hushed voices, then turned and walked casually up away from the village center, toward Kyoshi's Temple.

Fumiko smiled brightly as they reached the men again, having to step around the knot of people heading for the temple area. "All right, I think we're all set." Bowing slightly to Sai, she added, "If you wish to join us, Sai, you're more than welcome. We're going to the Temple to find something to help indentify the next Avatar."

Fukiko eyed her sister in surprise. Fumiko was normally so careful about things like that, and here she was telling their mission to a stranger. But she smiled and shrugged. "I know I'd like to have someone else along."

They both smiled winningly at Sai and Sheng. "Of course, we have to stop here first," Fumiko added. "We'll see what the priests and priestesses have to say." She tucked her hair behind her ears. "You can think about it, if you want."

Sheng almost slapped his forehead with one hand. Well, that was smooth. And Fumiko was the reasonable one. Of course...she had wanted to ride that eel thing. Heh. Ride the eel. Ohhh...now THAT was an image...

He shook his head. Not now. No, no. Don't think of her like that. ...Not here or now, anyway. "Yes...that is why we're here," he said with a sigh. He looked over at Sai, trying to gauge his reaction. "I was going to try to fish for information on that from you over food tonight, buuut I guess the boar-cat is out of the bag on that."

"Anyway, we're heading to the temple. If you can think of anything, we'll be heading back this way after, and we can talk it over dinner or something." Sheng nodded to the other youth, then started to move away. He wanted to wait until they were out of earshot of the wanderer before he said anything to the twins.

...Okay. Should be about right. "What are you thinking? Did you just invite that guy you met for five minutes on our journey?" Sheng threw his hands out wide, "We don't know anything about that guy, except that he wasn't telling all of us the truth!"

Fumiko crossed her arms, mimicking her twin's pose from earlier. "All I knew about you when you joined up was that you were an earthbender that I could whoop. What's your point?" She raised an eyebrow and added, "And we don't know much about you yet either, you know."

Fukiko nodded, a little amused. "He seems reasonable, anyway." She glanced back at Sai, and smiled. "Besides, he's cute."

"'Kiko. You're not helping." Fumiko turned back to Sheng, shrugging. "It's not like it's a classified mission, really. And he's on Kyoshi Island, in public, which means he's not dangerous enough to have a wanted poster out."

"Yeah. And I think we can handle one painting wanderer, between the three of us." Fukiko batted her eyes at Sheng sweetly. "Besides," she added with a shrug, "he might not want to join us anyway."

At the reminder of his defeat, Sheng blushed darkly, and his eyes flashed with sudden anger and shame. Okay, that pissed him off. Did she have to bring that up? Throw it in his face? Where anyone could hear? "Maybe you'd like that rematch right now, and we can find out for sure!" He clenched his fists tightly, looking down for a second, reining his temper and pride back in. "...I'm sorry. That wasn't called for. Forgive me."

He still didn't like it. But when Fukiko batted her eyelashes at him, most of the anger melted away. He sighed, "You're diabolical, you know that?"

He turned away from them, walking purposely toward the temple. He was still a little angry, but more pride stung than anything. "Fine. Just remember...the Avatar vouched for me. Who's vouching for him?"

It wasn't far to the temple, but he walked the rest of the way in silence. It was small, but well appointed and maintained. Sheng walked up to one of the monks raking leaves in front of it, "Hey, I've got the daughters of the Avatar here, and we need to speak to the head holy person. Go get 'em, won't you?"

The man stared at Sheng in surprise, then looked past him at the girls. His eyes fell on Fukiko's tattoos, and his eyes widened. "Ahh! Of, of course!" He bowed to the girls, then turned and started to run up one of the little dirt roads.

Back