Article on sex writing

I do know the names of some of the stories you mention, only a few I have read myself
[correction: only one of those stories I have read myself, and one I couldn't manage to read yet; it didn't 'grab me']
(I'm 42 and live a very prudish life), so I don't speak with knowledge, but...
Do people really relate to those stories; I mean, would they wish to be part of it and share the experiences? Not only like a naughty thought, but really asking their partner to 'give it a try'?

Well sometimes those works are clearly just meant for fantasy. My personal favorite is Angela Carter, who usually mixes eroticism and supernatural and I don't think her bestialistic beauty and the beast adaptations would come without a "don't try this at home" warning.
Fanny Hill on the other hand, despite it portraying a vastly romantized image of the life of a prostitute, is a hilarious read and I'd say it probably sparked a lot of 18th century readers' sexual imagination with the protagonist's open-mindedness towards different sex acts including BDSM. However if you were to read it today, you'd probably laugh at all those wonderful euphemisms and large "weapons" that all the wonderful gentlemen like to thrust into our dear Fanny. Reading it aloud with your friends is even more entertaining than 50 Shades.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Shades was awful. I couldn't finish it. I did manage to make it through the movie, probably mostly because the wife was watching with me and I was curious to see her reaction. It was fun for about 10 seconds when she lost her virginity, then I was pissed because they did it so poorly.

This is going back a ways, but the sex in the Clan of the Cave Bear scenes was hotter (and I was a teenager when I read them, which helped). Yes, early man breeding with Neanderthals was hotter for me than modern S&M.

I was able to overlook the bad prose -- it really was not good -- at first and enjoyed 50 Shades until about the time she said, yeah, you can crop me. There were some things about the way James set the story up that made it enticing, even if it was completely ridiculous. But once the kinky sex started she lost control of the plot completely. I stuck it out through all three books, anyway, because I'm like that. But what a waste of time.

It's much easier to write a sex short story than a sex novel. 50 Shades is a great example of how not to write a sex novel. It's not a sex novel at all; it's chick-oriented gothic romance with kinky scenes in it. It would have been a much better story if it had ended at one book and if the author didn't explain away his dominance/sadism fetishes with stories about his damaged childhood. Yawn.

Clan of the Cave Bear -- absolutely! And its sequel, Valley of Horses, where she hooks up with the tall blond, and, as I recall, well-endowed Cro-Magnon guy. Those were the days I'd filch books from wherever I could to check out the sex scenes. It didn't take much to stoke the youthful fires, back then. Literotica was many years in the future and not even imaginable.

I stuck it out through all three books, anyway, because I'm like that. But what a waste of time.

Somebody made me read all three books, really. I didn't want to but my eyes were held open, truly.

Sob. Why don't you believe me?

Simon notes to himself, "Hmmm, perhaps a little too revealing. Need to restore credibility. Somehow."

SimonDoomTieMeDownAndForceMeToReadWhatINeverWantedToRead.

Somebody made me read all three books, really. I didn't want to but my eyes were held open, truly.

Sob. Why don't you believe me?

Simon notes to himself, "Hmmm, perhaps a little too revealing. Need to restore credibility. Somehow."

SimonDoomTieMeDownAndForceMeToReadWhatINeverWantedToRead.

Dude, that's lame. I didn't claim somebody forced me. I read them because once I start reading something I don't like to leave it unfinished. That's just the way I am. In most cases it's not a bad way to be. But in the case of 50 Shades the last two books were a waste of time.

I don't regret reading the first book. It was a cultural milestone, even if it was literary dreck. It was a phenomenon, and a lot of women my age were reading it when it came out and that was sort of interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back