Art Café

Renoir: so sugary his paintings probably dissolve if you stir them in a cup of tea.
So sickly sweet they could put someone in a diabetic coma.
Next time: pointillism. Yuck.

Maria Isquierdo, Louise Nevelson and Leonora Carrington.....Three of the original art Babes.
They were not particularly well behaved women and their art is shoulder to shoulder with anything the boys were doing in the twentieth century.

Renoir: so sugary his paintings probably dissolve if you stir them in a cup of tea.
So sickly sweet they could put someone in a diabetic coma.
Next time: pointillism. Yuck.
I agree on your Renoir view.
As for pointillism, I find it a fascinating exploration which was timely.

For the most part, I don't love the results - some are even "yuck", as you say.

Maria Isquierdo, Louise Nevelson and Leonora Carrington.....Three of the original art Babes.
They were not particularly well behaved women and their art is shoulder to shoulder with anything the boys were doing in the twentieth century.
Indeed they were and did!

That being agreed upon, I don't "love" their work, just as I do not love the works of their male contemporaries, who worked in the same styles. I do appreciate the exploration and pushing of "boundaries", but the net result is not to my tastes.

I agree on your Renoir view.
As for pointillism, I find it a fascinating exploration which was timely.

For the most part, I don't love the results - some are even "yuck", as you say.
Will reply at another time when I can say more than I’ll reply at another time.

When paint landscapes, my impessionist persona comes out, but I have had good success with a pointilist technique. Diversity maked the world a more interesting place.

One of my favorite conversations!

Art nouveau; the best of the 20th century. This was the embrace of beauty over narcissistic navel gazing and simpering over the cause de jour.

Abstract Expressionism; a massive fraud committed by a small clique of charismatic and hypocritical wankers.

Erté; complicated. His work is charming, and in an impressive range of media, but his role in the whole "skinny=beautiful" abuse of women is a huge problem.

H.R. Gieger; incredibly talented, incredibly influential (doesn't get the credit he deserves there). Deeply unsettling. Love it.

Renoir, Reubens, Titian, etc; I like curvy girls. I can work with this. I get the criticism that they were too "sweet", but "Edgy McEdgyface" doesn't necessarily make for good art.

My biggest criticism of contemporary art & artists; they don't spend enough time learning to draw. The artist doesn't get to whine that they aren't understood when they can't be bothered to master the visual language.

Now, if you want to make it weird, let's talk about the industry of disposable art for designers or the role of art in money laundering.

I share your feelings re art and as an artist, I notice it when exhibiting in a group show. Peoples likes and indifferences are quite varied yet I have some success. We cannot expect the public to love all the things that we paint becuase we felt it should be done. Thomas Kinkaid painted schmalzy park scenes and the proverbial cabin in the woods and he was much loved for them, just not by many fellow artists. I have seen his personal art : impressionistic California coastlines, and they were superb. but there is a bright side: we all have the freedom to paint in the manner we choose .

While I can understand your dislike of Renoir (I prefer Degas's down and dirty Parisan figures to Renoir's sickly sweet but Monets exploration of light made him my favourite impressionist). Pointillism was an attempt to use science to create images. It ultimately failed due to the paints not being pure enough to represent light. The pointillist technique only really works with TVs and on a computer monitor where you are actually dealing with nearly pure colour. However, Chuck Close use something very similar in his huge hyperrealistic portraits. In fact some of his earlier airbrush works ultimately led to the invention of the inkjet printer.

As to artists I love;

Patrick Woodroffe for pure technique and skill.
Peter Elson for imagination.
George Braque for being the artist we all should know of, but most don't.
But I'd literally kill to own one of John Salt's car wreck series.
Two of the above four, might not even been considered artists as they were commercial artists and even George Braque was a house painter before he invented cubism in collaboration with Picasso.

Last edited:
I also love Patrick Woodroffe's work.

Peter Elson is strong on technique, but I find his work somewhat "sterile" — lacking in emotion or even motion. I tend to prefer a bit more painterly works.
• I find Masamune Shirow to be much more in the style I like AND with amazing imagination as to vehicles and costuming. Or Roger Dean — crazy vehicles and environments.

George Brach certainly has a place in art history, but does not "do anything" for me. Though he IS more "painterly", there is no "story", it's mostly the style.

I was not aware of John Salt's work. Thank you for that tip. You won't need to kill me to own one. LOL

Last edited:
Didn't even know Masamune Shirow and I should have as I liked the Ghost in the Shell TV series although I've never read a manga novel. I've got a couple of books by Roger Dean. I guess with George Braque its how important cubism was to 20th century abstract art and how everyone knows Picasso but few know Georges Braque.

Theres a lot of art that I like, including Roger Dean mentioned on previous comments (I have 3 of his books) my interest was piqued by his work on Yes albums as I am also a fan of their music.
Other artists that I love enough to have purchased books on their works include:
Rene Magritte (surrealist)
Salvador Dali,
Chris Achilleos,
Michael English (not that well known English artist of psychedelic posters in the 1960s, and ultra real airbrush work)
Edward Hopper,
Jim Burns, (Sci-fi)
Frank Kelly Freas (Sci-fi),
Luis Royo (have got a few of his books)
Joseph Michael Linsner (many books and cards)
Armando Huerta - although don't have any of his books he gets a mention here as I really admire his pencil and airbrush technique - sadly he's no longer with us...
Sorayama - sexy robots
I am sure there are a few more I have not thought of !

What a great thread. I love hearing names of artists I don't know yet and discovering their work. Since this thread is here, I'm assuming we are talking about artists who do sensual, provocative, erotic or nude work?
Bit even with that limit, if I was to start listing artists whose work I have nabbed off the net and put in a folder for inspiration it would be a very, very long list. And would probably have to break into sub categories, Classical, Pin Up, Comic Book, Erotica. Damn this could be a very fun week sorting my saved pics into sections, I wish I had time.
Here's some from each category:
Classical
Picasso - his erotic etchings
Schiele - of course
Klimt - of course
Alphonse Mucha - this should probably in a new category
Camillie Hillaire - modern
Charles Chaplin - the artist, not the actor!

Pin Up
Don Lewis
Duane Bryers
Earl Moran

Comic Book
Frank Cho
Adam Hughes
Bruce Timm

Erotica
Drunna - Serpia
Julius Zimmerman
Leone Frollo
Paul Alazar

I need to stop. There are hundreds! Such amazing work out there. So inspiring. And all of it banned by Facebook and Instagram... Sigh.

I have quite a few art books... these are mostly art and books with illustrations I love... more shelves to the left and the right.
Over lap with many that @RamseyMacDonald mentioned.

Leonardo, Schiele (a favorite), Klimt (also), Mucha, Authur Rackham, Frazetta, Frank Cho, Adam Hughes, Hans Bellmer, Hokusai, Serpia, Milo Manara...

Shelves4778.jpg

I have quite a few art books... these are mostly art and books with illustrations I love... more shelves to the left and the right.
Over lap with many that @RamseyMacDonald mentioned.

Leonardo, Schiele (a favorite), Klimt (also), Mucha, Authur Rackham, Frazetta, Frank Cho, Adam Hughes, Hans Bellmer, Hokusai, Serpia, Milo Manara...

View attachment 2336040
Yeah, the thing about art books is that they’re so tall! So you need tall narrow bookshelves. It’s actually Beautiful the way it’s arranged, sort of holding each other up. this message was dictated. That’s why it seems strange.

Yeah, the thing about art books is that they’re so tall! So you need tall narrow bookshelves. It’s actually Beautiful the way it’s arranged, sort of holding each other up. this message was dictated. That’s why it seems strange.
Dick Tated... dick tater....

Don't worry, most folk can't (and shouldn't) follow my derailed train of thought.

Last edited:
It wasn't very funny or clever. It was rather obscure, so you are not an idiot.

Would work better spoken.
It was an obvious and clever play on words, drawn directly from my previous comment in which I used the word dictated…but had already forgotten. That’s the pathetic part.

Back