April Poetry Challenge 1

I feel the simile breaks the tension. Maybe the last line could be something like:

your kisses in church
Hmmm, I can see that the last line could be stronger but I don’t know if it is a simile.
The church line doesn’t resonate and feels out of place-for me-but I’d be interested in hearing more of your thought process.

Salt, sand, sun, perfect
cold sea spray teasing my skin
setting me on fire

You create a very sharp image with salt and sand, and then do direct comparison with soft. Which throws me.

Generally I think it's bad to make explicit comparisons in haiku/senryu (says Alina like some sort of expert). Unnecessary too. The reader should understand the connections and comparisons.

The church idea I like and dislike because experience of church is such a personal thing, but there's an erotic transgression in the idea of even kissing in church, especially if that kiss inspires the wild freedom of the beach.

setting me on fire

This works, maybe. You've lost the kisses so you've got a beach scene setting you on fire?

Minimalist sometimes works better.

cold sea spray
teasing my skin
his kisses

Met you. Loved you. But
we never quite connected.
God saved you from me . . . .

Hmmm, I can see that the last line could be stronger but I don’t know if it is a simile.
The church line doesn’t resonate and feels out of place-for me-but I’d be interested in hearing more of your thought process.

Salt, sand, sun, perfect
cold sea spray teasing my skin
setting me on fire
hi, just to say if you begin with a 'like' the way you did with that line, it's definitely a simile

i agree with you that the church feels out of place, but have to agree with Alina regarding the minimalistic phrasing she developed here:

cold sea spray
teasing my skin
his kisses

i know it doesn't fit the parameters of the 17 syllables but it works so much better as a senryu for me. sometimes you have to sacrifice the 'rules and allow the stronger poem to exist.

He feels Her feeling him,

her forbidden room
clothing dropping to the floor
walking him backwards

moving together
harder faster softer, slow
her other bodies

juxtopositioned
his breathing against her heart
in burning desire

she feels him feel her
deepening his inner rhythms
their eyes juxtaposed

Last edited:
Tried to reel you in.
You said, "timing's everything."
Damn your correctness.

e/t/a: That last line could be "correctness saved you." Because it did, really.

Last edited:
Choices everywhere,
things to ponder and decide.
First, I'll take a walk.

Back