An Idea I Kind of Hope Gets Ridiculed

Bamagan

Ultima Proxima
As an aside from a conversation happening in another thread, I was reminded of the existence of the Chain Stories category here at LE.
Very little has been done there, for a variety of reasons I suspect, but given the current enthusiasm people seem to have for challenge exercises, it might present an interesting opportunity.
For example, there could be a Twelve Days of Christmas theme, with each author getting one or two days related to the verses (but probably only loosely related). The involved authors would presumably want to put some agreements in place ahead of time regarding characters, settings, themes, and any fetishes or tropes that they want to avoid. Major plot points would probably need to be worked out ahead of time as well, to allow maximum versatility for each author within the constraints of the shared narrative universe.
Honestly, the idea of that much plotting and planning and cooperation makes me exhausted to even think about, so I wouldn't be a great person to attempt this with in the first place (plus I kind of hate Christmas). But I figured I would bring it up to see what kind of response it gets. If the response is generally negative, I'm off scot-free, whatever that really means (it seems like it might be anti-Scottish, and I'm definitely pro-Scot, or at least pro-Karen Gillan).

If I could get Karen Gillian on one of those twelve days, count me in.
I guess we can contact her agent and see if she's interested. She's done other work in a shared universe setting, so she brings some valuable experience to the table, certainly.
:sneaky:

More serious answer to this:

I honestly can't see how it could work.

It's one thing for two writers who've gotten to know and trust each other to work together on a story, or a series of stories.

But as soon as you start throwing other people in the mix, I see it desolving to chaos pretty quickly.

Does it become a democracy? Every idea voted for or against?

Who organizes where it's written? Who has access to what? Who can edit?

So many variables in something like that and if every individual isn't on the same page I can't see it working out well.

Major plot points would probably need to be worked out ahead of time as well, to allow maximum versatility for each author within the constraints of the shared narrative universe.
Chain stories are more interesting, I think, when very little is worked out beforehand and the next author has to work with wherever the previous author took it.

Last edited:
You could accept the anarchy.

Round-robin among the participating authors, each contributing a chapter in turn. No rules, except that the result will be published in that order.

Here's an apparently real example of two authors producing something readable despite really not getting along: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/writing-wrongs/

More serious answer to this:

I honestly can't see how it could work.

It's one thing for two writers who've gotten to know and trust each other to work together on a story, or a series of stories.

But as soon as you start throwing other people in the mix, I see it desolving to chaos pretty quickly.

Does it become a democracy? Every idea voted for or against?

Who organizes where it's written? Who has access to what? Who can edit?

So many variables in something like that and if every individual isn't on the same page I can't see it working out well.
I agree.

Last year, the Amorous Goods challenge caught my attention, and I wrote a story for it in its third year of the challenge. I read some of the first year's stories to see if I could get a description of the store and main characters, but the stories were mostly very different in the authors' visions.

I came up with my own story based on just two of those others which seemed to have a common thread. Then I went off on my own tangent turning it into a SciFi world with my own favorite characters.

I still enjoyed the concept of the Amorous Goods shop. But I've realized that TV series need a "writer's guide" to keep all of the various writers on the same page. And as they accept character development concepts in any particular episode, they must update the guide for future stories. That's a lot of oversight and WORK.

I'd love to feature Karen Gillan as her Marvel Cinematic Universe, Dr. Who, or Jumanji characters if not herself... but I'm honestly not into Celebrities as much these days. I'd still love to do a Chain Story series about the same Celebrity or Fanfic subject again, the 'Virtual Reality' videogame fanfic series I took part in way back when was fun. I'll do Streets of Rage if I get the inspiration to get into something like that again, Blaze Fielding is screaming for some erotic attention, that hot cop Estelle from the latest series entry is also. :)

Chain stories are easy. The authors involved just have to pick a theme, accept anarchy, and have fun. Fellow authors and I did it a long time ago with video games including Dragon Quest (https://www.literotica.com/s/virtual-reality-dragon-quest), Sonic (https://www.literotica.com/s/virtual-reality-sonic-the-hedgehog), and Metal Gear Solid (my story, https://www.literotica.com/s/virtual-reality-metal-gear-solid) among other games. This might be fun to do again one day, but I won't have time any time soon.

Last edited:
Chain stories are more interesting, I think, when very little is worked out beforehand and the next author has to work with wherever the previous author took it.

Agreed. I'd be willing to undertake this challenge but only if I basically get handed a part with next to no previous instructions and then it's my turn to write the next part. Like a relay race, except I don't even know what sport I'm participating in. I think I would enjoy the process, but I also fear that the end result wouldn't be particularly striking.

Although it's only the two of us and our styles meld well, my coauthor, Sabb, and I under the Shabbu account here, are essentially doing chain stories, one writing a section and the other then picking up for a section--with no agreed notions where the story is going or how it will end. One of us, though, does take responsibility for polishing it and tying all of the threads together at the end.

Three French lays

For some reason, this is what came to my mind:

IMG_9468.jpg

I'd love to feature Karen Gillian as her Marvel Cinematic Universe, Dr. Who, or Jumanji characters if not herself... but I'm honestly not into Celebrities as much these days. I'd still love to do a Chain Story series about the same Celebrity or Fanfic subject again, the 'Virtual Reality' videogame fanfic series I took part in way back when was fun. I'll do Streets of Rage if I get the inspiration to get into something like that again, Blaze Fielding is screaming for some erotic attention, that hot cop Estelle from the latest series entry is also. :)

Chain stories are easy. The authors involved just have to pick a theme, accept anarchy, and have fun. Fellow authors and I did it a long time ago with video games including Dragon Quest (https://www.literotica.com/s/virtual-reality-dragon-quest), Sonic (https://www.literotica.com/s/virtual-reality-sonic-the-hedgehog), and Metal Gear Solid (my story, https://www.literotica.com/s/virtual-reality-metal-gear-solid) among other games. This might be fun to do again one day, but I won't have time any time soon.
It's Gillan, not Gillian, correct?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Gillan

Well, I don't know if I feel ridiculed exactly, but there's definitely a strong 'No' getting expressed. Which is a bit of a relief since I now feel very comfortable at binning an idea I was very leery of committing to.
Thanks!

Well, I don't know if I feel ridiculed exactly, but there's definitely a strong 'No' getting expressed. Which is a bit of a relief since I now feel very comfortable at binning an idea I was very leery of committing to.
Thanks!
If you mean the 12 days of xxx-max chain story event, yeah, Iā€™m not into that. Though seven swans swimming and eight geese laying has its appeal. :)

Back