Against Environmentalism and Why

amicus said:
Environmental activism has increased the price of building a new home by approxiately $30,000, pricing many out of the market just to save a goddamned owl.

That's why you rent dumbass! In case you haven't noticed, homes are bigger than ever. You eat the last spotted owl and then you complain that it didn't taste as good as you thought.

You are a perfect example of why cousins shouldn't marry you fucking tard.

Tra-la-la.... :D

Last edited:
gauchecritic said:
But the point of a nuclear power station is the processed by-product. Which means elecricity generation is the actual by-product. (well, the steam from the radioactive coolant anyway)

Hmm, I quite enjoy being called illiterate by amico, means I must be doing something right.

The processed bi product is only useful for weapons in a breeder reactor as far as I know.

So yeah, in a country like Iran or N. Korea, possibly Pakistan or india, the elctricity might be a byproduct. In developed nations it's more effective to use plutonium so the reactors are not generally of the breeder type as far as I know.

Tra la la, urself, Couture...but nice of you to drop in anyway....

You must be from one of those forgotten "North Countries" where home and private property ownership is a thing of the past.

I have owned five separate homes from a three bedroom starter to a 14 room tri level on a hill with a view of what was left of Mt. St. Helens.

Home ownership in America is the highest ever; it goes well of the American dream of owning one's own home, of building an equity and having something to leave to one's children.

Of course when your 'big brother' takes all your income, provides you with cradle to grave security (and I think you people still eat your babies and starve the old ones), then I guess there is not much need for private ownership you just have to kiss the ass of the housing authority on a regular bases...

~~~~~~~~~

Gauche...the steam you see coming from a cooling tower at a nuclear power plant is not radioactive or harmful in any way. In fact, the cooling ponds, being warmed somewhat by the recirculated water, actually provides a nutritious habitant for water foul and fish like critters.

I had the pleasure to tour a nuke plant once upon a time, rather an interesting experience.

Storage of depleted uranium fuel rods is not a 'real' problem, just a political one as the Left would rather employ coal miners in the Unions, that support a more modern, non polluting form of energy production.

Just today, with a few weeks of above average warm temperatures, several regions have indicated that demand for electricity is about exhaust the supply in several very populated eastern cities.

If they knew the Left Wing Liberal environmentalists were to blame for the energy shortage, the Green Peace might have to change its name yet again. Do the nation a favor and boycott the Sierra Club, or at least make them turn in their computers and start using candles for light.

Every little bit of conservation helps!

amicus...

amicus said:
Storage of depleted uranium fuel rods is not a 'real' problem,
Yes, it is.

But it's not nearly as big a problem as burning coal and oil instead.

But why do you care? In your view it doesn't matter if we fuck up the environment (Caring about it is after all "anti-human", right?) as long as you get to turn the juice up on your microwave oven one more notch. And coal is still the cheapest way to go AFAIK. And the most effective way to kill spotted owls.

So that's what you should be rooting for, buddy.

Colleen Thomas said:
The processed bi product is only useful for weapons in a breeder reactor as far as I know.

So yeah, in a country like Iran or N. Korea, possibly Pakistan or india, the elctricity might be a byproduct. In developed nations it's more effective to use plutonium so the reactors are not generally of the breeder type as far as I know.

plutonium being an 'ingredient' in nuclear weapons.

Ok I had to look this up to be sure I remembered correctly, and I admit that most pages are anti-nuclear.

Weapons grade plutonium is derived from plutonium sources which are used to make steam as by-product (very by product when you consider the many ways that steam can be produced). Plutonium as a natural occurence is rare (doesn't say how rare) so the sources for weapons grade has to be artificial.

If you consider that we are talking about 'fissile' plutonium, then by that definition there can be very little naturally available.

So yeah.

snippety snip snip

amicus said:
I have owned five separate homes from a three bedroom starter to a 14 room tri level on a hill with a view of what was left of Mt. St. Helens.

Home ownership in America is the highest ever; it goes well of the American dream of owning one's own home, of building an equity and having something to leave to one's children.

~~~~~~~~~

Gauche...the steam you see coming from a cooling tower at a nuclear power plant is not radioactive or harmful in any way. In fact, the cooling ponds, being warmed somewhat by the recirculated water, actually provides a nutritious habitant for water foul and fish like critters.

Storage of depleted uranium fuel rods is not a 'real' problem, just a political one as the Left would rather employ coal miners in the Unions, that support a more modern, non polluting form of energy production.

amicus...

Steam from cooling towers doesn't bother me, they probably have draconian measures enforced by governments/local lobbies to ensure the cleanliness of any outpourings.

Some of the things that do bother me:

14 rooms. Why?

Owning things. Why?

Equity. Why?

Leaving un-earned (no use when you're dead) capital. Why?

Depleted uranium fuel? Naa, forget the future, you're not gonna be there anyway to see your descendants reverting to barbarism however much money you leave them. Safe for now, safe enough.

Non-polluting? Do you watch The Simpsons?

gauchecritic said:
plutonium being an 'ingredient' in nuclear weapons.

Ok I had to look this up to be sure I remembered correctly, and I admit that most pages are anti-nuclear.

Weapons grade plutonium is derived from plutonium sources which are used to make steam as by-product (very by product when you consider the many ways that steam can be produced). Plutonium as a natural occurence is rare (doesn't say how rare) so the sources for weapons grade has to be artificial.

If you consider that we are talking about 'fissile' plutonium, then by that definition there can be very little naturally available.

So yeah.

As I understand it, plutonium is rare to the point of being almost non existant naturally. So I think you are safe there in you rassumption.

But, I was under the impression it is usually enriched in a lab and not in Nuclear power plants here in the states.

Well, Liar, I do rather care about the environment.

But I care more about human life and human liberty; which you may be surprised to learn, are not mutually exclusive concerns on my part.

The legal definitions and protections of private property rights is a very complex field of understanding.

I surely have no objections if you wish to purchase property and create a habitat for for migrating birds or any other critter you choose. I don't even mind if you gather a group, pool your resources and buy even more land to use in such a manner. ( there are many legitimate ecology groups that do just that)

What I do object to are those who use the power of government to impose upon the population an agenda that is harmful and destructive of individual rights and liberties.

I will stand behind you and support you in your effort to enjoy the full spectrum of rights that come with owning property. I will go to court with and for you to defend against any incursion upon your rights by any group, large or small.

I will stand right alongside you to litigate against any company, industry or government agency that in any way infringes upon your rights to enjoy your property and all that it offers.

What I will not do is support any effort to 'confiscate' property by an act of government. Rather, I would insist that all lands within the confines of the United States proper, be offered for sale to the highest bidder.

I might also re institute the "Homestead act" which gave people land.

Government was given the authority to be a caretaker of the lands until such time as individuals could occupy and use that land.

Government should not own even one square inch of land. Any land needed for Federal or State purposes should be 'leased' from a private owner.

We do not exist at the benevolence of government; government exists because we allow it to, because we want it to provide those protections and guarantees that we laid out so long ago.

I know, this 'individual rights thing' is all news to you; not surprising, it has not been taught in public education for nearly half a century and is seldom spoken of anywhere else.

amicus...

Colleen Thomas said:
As I understand it, plutonium is rare to the point of being almost non existant naturally. So I think you are safe there in you rassumption.

But, I was under the impression it is usually enriched in a lab and not in Nuclear power plants here in the states.

But that is the point I was trying to make. They have to have it before they can enrich it, and the obvious source is where it comes as by-product.

But then Amico, if you support 'democracy' (please tell me you are an anarchist and I will laugh out loud) you must then support (by intent) everything that your society has legally voted for.

When the hole is deep enough stop digging.

No, I have never watched the Simpsons, nor Seinfield, nor Sex in the City, nor Friends and never an afternoon soap, or game show and only a few drama series.

answer your question?

why 14 rooms? because I could.

amicus...

Gauche...I don't live in a 'democracy', I live in a representational republic that is governed by a written constitution and bill of rights, both of which prevent that 'society' of yours from voting my rights away.

amicus...

gauchecritic said:
But that is the point I was trying to make. They have to have it before they can enrich it, and the obvious source is where it comes as by-product.

They make it for weapons. This is from a paper on Plutonium:

While of a different order of magnitude to the fission occurring within a nuclear reactor, Pu-240 has a relatively high rate of spontaneous fission with consequent neutron emissions. This makes reactor-grade plutonium entirely unsuitable for use in a bomb (see below).

So yes, plutonium is created in reactors, but, the fissionable isotopes are generally used by the reactor for energy.

It's hard to explain, I'm not even sure I understand it, but, those isptopes of plutonium that woul dbe weapons grade are also fissionable, so they don't end up in the spent fuel in any quantity. A weapons grade isotpe of plutonium can be created by using a cyclotron to generate neutron capture, but, that isn't firing a stream of neutrons at extant plutonium, it's from firing them at uranium 235 as the "seed" material.

I wish Doc M would chime in or Luc, they can probably tell us if you are correct or if I am. I tried to get the information from somemore scientific sites, but frankly, I get a little lost in the jargon. :(

Back