Absolution (closed)

Kitty coughed again, unable to truly clear her lungs or find any sort of rest outside of the moments where she passed out. That was how Kayla had found her that morning, passed out from sheer exhaustion and unable to wake until the doctor had come. When Tamblin placed another blanket on her and placed his hand on her forehead, the turned her gaze towards his and wanted to cry. She wanted Vincenzo. She always did when illness stole her away like it was doing just then.

"You're making her upset, Da." Selena murmured, watching as her mother's eyes grew misty.

Tamblin's brows furrowed. He knew why, and he knew who Kitty really wanted- who she really needed. "... I'll leave 'er be, then..." He muttered. He knew it was his own doing, but there was still a part of him that wished he could be what Kitty needed. "Ghell will be in soon." He stepped away from Kitty and out of the room to silently hide his own grief over the entire situation. Ghell returned some minutes later. As Kitty's usual caretaker, he was perhaps better for her than any professional doctor, especially because he understood a bit more of ancient tribal healing versus the modern obsession with the study of humors and bloodletting.

"Eli," Ghell spoke softly as he entered, pausing to kiss her cheek. His concerned gaze told her that he knew what had happened.

"Just help Ma." Selena muttered as Ghell looked at her with concern in his gaze. "She needs it more right now."

She sat down on the side of Kitty's bed, bathing her Ma's face in a damp cloth as she glanced up at Durban. She knew he was intent on challenging their father that evening, but she hoped he would have a moment of compassion and spare time for their mother. Kitty was suffering, a serious illness settling in on her frail frame and testing her already stretched immune system.

Hours passed as Ghell did all he could for Kitty with limited knowledge and materials, keeping at least one of the children near to help or watch her at all times. As the sky outside began to dim, Durban grew restless and conflicted. He'd finally gathered the courage to face Tamblin... But he knew that his own death, or a large shift in power would be too stressful on Kitty. He also worried that, despite everything, she might be heartbroken if Tamblin died. As it grew too dark for any outdoor battle, Durban finally, silently gave up, resigning himself to a longer wait and the possibility of losing his nerve again.

It took hours before Kitty was finally, truly able to rest. Selena had fallen asleep at the base of the bed, only able to relax after it seemed that Kitty wasn't going to slip away from them if she closed her eyes for a few moments.

The keep seemed to finally settle as the night wore on. Before dawn, Kitty opened her eyes to see Durban seated beside her bed. He looked worried, worn out, and slightly guilty. Somehow, she knew what he was thinking and she reached out a shaky hand to touch his cheek.

Durban lifted his head slowly, looking down to his frail mother. He took her hand in his own, his skin like a furnace against hers. "Hi, Ma," he whispered. "Can I get ya anythin'?" He'd sent Ghell to bed some hours ago, leaving only himself awake to look after her.

“No.” Kitty said softly, her voice hoarse and shaking. “But if you’re going to do this, do it now. While they’re all asleep.”

She knew her son had some heavy thoughts and had been thinking about he fight he was going to have with his father. She couldn’t stop it but she could protect the rest of the children from the violence.

“And know that I love you, Durban.” Kitty murmured softly.

Durban's brows stitched in concern as Kitty, for the first time, encouraged his battle with Tamblin. "I love you too, Ma," he murmured, finding himself unable to argue with her logic. "... Whatever happens... Don' hate Da for it. He does care... But he's misguided an' scared o' his own shadow."

“I know, love.” Kitty said softly as he tried to reassure her. “Durban, I need Vincenzo. I love him deeply, yes, but without his medicine, I’ll die. Your da, as misguided as he is, won’t let that happen because of Valentina. I suppose I can’t blame him, but I want to live. You all still need me. I want to see my grandchildren and see Inverness grow back to the city it was before all of this happened. You have a chance to make that all happen.”

Durban leaned down to kiss her forehead as she spoke, pausing as she told him of her own needs and wants for the first time, after years of focusing on her children first. But one thing still weighed heavily on him. "... Will you hate me if I fail...?"

“I could never hate you, love.” Kitty said softly. “You’re my son. When you have your own somnone day, you’ll understand what that love is like.”

"Okay..." Durban murmured before slowly rising. "Okay." He knew he was tired and sleep-deprived, but he knew Tamblin would be too. The man would've surely been up all night worrying and watching to make sure none of Oliver's men came near Kitty or the children. So after one more kiss pressed to Kitty's cheek, Durban made his way out to find his father.

Kitty leaned back against the pillows, watching as Durban went. She knew he very well might not ever return and she braced herself for the outcome of the battle that was about to happen.

It was about dawn when Brogan entered, his shoulders tense and his expression deeply disturbed. Blood that wasn't his own stained his dark shirt and arms and hands, and a bloody handprint had been left on his tunic shoulder, where it looked like someone had grasped tightly to Brogan. "Ma..." Brogan whispered, not wanting to wake Selena or alert anyone else nearby.

Kitty opened her eyes as she heard her name being called. Turning her head against the pillows, her heart nearly stopped at seeing Brogan covered in blood. She pushed herself up to look at him with a panicked look.

"What's happened?" Kitty asked in a soft voice, nearly terrified to learn that her son that she loved so dearly had been killed by Tamblin.

"I jus' brought Durban in..." Brogan murmured. "Ghell's takin' care o' him... Da's still outside, but... I think 'e lost an eye. He won' let anyone near 'im, he jus' paces, blood everywhere. I... I'm worried he's gonna kill 'imself, Ma. I've never seen 'im like this... He wouldn' finish Durban, but... if Durban doesn' make it, I don' know what Da'll do."

Kitty was stunned that both her son and her husband lived. She was shaky as she struggled to get to her feet, panting as a wave of dizziness washed over her. She had to get to Durban, to see that he was alright.

"What's going on?" Selena muttered, lifting her head from the bed as she blinked sleepily at Brogan. "Brogan, what happened?"

She was panicked as she saw the blood, quick from her spot as she reached out to hold him by the shoulders. "He didn't do this without me, did he? Tell me that he didn't."

"Whoa, whoa," Brogan took Kitty's shoulders to steady her, before scooping her up off her feet as her knees buckled. "I'll take you, Ma. Selena..." He looked to his sister. "He's alive... they both are. Come on... Ghell 'as Durban." He turned to the door then, carrying Kitty toward the infirmary.

As Brogan stepped in, Kitty was greeted with a grisly sight. Durban lay shirtless on a bed, covered in deep gashes and gouges that told of his fate at the end of his father's claymore. Ghell was carefully stitching the worst wounds first, the rest bound tightly for the moment to help staunch the bleeding. Greater men had died of far less. Kitty had seen it first-hand when Tamblin killed Marius with a single knife wound. But Durban's breathing, however shallow, was still present. He was unconscious, cuts and bruises on his face telling of blunt bashes and potentially punches thrown in the duel. His nose was broken, and he'd certainly suffered broken fingers and a broken wrist on his left arm.

Ghell was in the middle of stitching a deep stab wound in Durban's side as Brogan carried Kitty in. Ghell glanced up, his brows stitching in concern, but he couldn't stop his work. "Brogan..." he muttered.

"I know... but she needs t'see 'im... If 'e doesn' make it." Brogan set Kitty in a chair beside the bed, letting her be at Durban's side whatever his fate was to be.

Kitty was in a state of shock as she saw Durban. She wouldn't have expected that level of carnage as her other son brought her into the room and sat her down at his side, Brogan moving to contain Selena as she struggled to get past him as well. Kitty reached over and carefully placed her hand on Durban's cheek, mindful of his wounds and the blood as she heard Selena arguing with Brogan at the doorway.

"Oh, love." Kitty said softly, so incredibly saddened that this was the life that each of them had to live now.

Brogan drew Selena out into the hall as she panicked, holding her by her shoulders to still her. "Selena, I need you t'focus here," he demanded quietly. "I know yer upset, but this won' help anyone."

“You have no say in this, Brogan.” Selena hissed, tears in her eyes as she tried to get passed him again. “And I’ll absolutely never forgive him for doing this while we were asleep. He needed us there. He did the same for me.”

"Stop," Brogan stopped her in her tracks, holding her by the arms. "Selena," he whispered. "Durban migh' still die, an' Ma's no' doin' well either. I need you t'be calm fer both o' them. Panicking will only stress Ma out, an' Ghell needs t'focus on Durban. I know yer angry an' upset... I am too."

Selena pushed back from Brogan, looking at him with a wealth of hurt and anger in her dark gaze. She was angry at the world, at her brothers, at her Ma....mostly at Tamblin. She wanted to kill him herself right then and there and she thought she could win that fight, she would. However, there was nothing that she could do. Durban was already hurt and her Da the same. She couldn't make any of this better.

She said nothing as she stared at Brogan, turning in a huff and hurrying away from the room. She couldn't run to Ghell as he was helping Durban to even survive. The only thing she could do was go to Kayla's room. Both twins were still sleeping as she crept in, settling in the bed between the both of them and holding them tightly as she silently sobbed.

The morning passed into midday as Durban managed to cling to life, and Ghell spared a moment once Durban was stable to go tend to Tamblin who wasn't in good condition himself. Brogan cleaned up and went to the twins as they wondered where Durban was, explaining it as carefully and gently as he could that Durban was unconscious and badly wounded after losing to their father, but still alive.

Tamblin, once Ghell was forced to perform surgery to remove his ruined eye, was put to bed in his own chambers under painkillers and heavy sleep medication. Oliver and his men seemed to pull back, watching and waiting for the outcome when Durban woke and he and Tamblin came in contact again.

Selena was outright hostile to any of Oliver's men that she happened to see, sparing her most vile words and actions for Oliver himself. She didn't hold back as she took care of the twins, unleashing on them if they got too close or watched them too closely. Kayla was definitely the most effected of them, sullen and shy as she stuck close to Ashien or Selena for the time being.

Kitty never wavered in her vigil of Durban, sitting at his bedside as she waited for him to wake to see what lasting damage had been done to her son. While she couldn't care for his needs, she stayed at his side, holding his hand or stroking his hair. She would wear herself to exhaustion if it meant that he knew he was loved and cared for.

Back