A single sentence that perfectly captures the utter madness of the Trump era

pecksniff

Literotica Guru
Chris Chilizza

In an interview with Donald Trump earlier this week, conservative talk radio host Hugh Hewitt said something truly breathtaking.

"You know, Mr. President, you and I disagree about the election, but we agree on so much," Hewitt told Trump, segueing into a conversation about China's hypersonic missiles.

Talk about an other-than-that-how-was-the-play-Mrs. Lincoln moment!

That Hewitt uttered that line without irony is a telling window into how conservatives have found ways to rationalize Trump and his fundamentally anti-democratic attempts to undermine the faith of the American public in the 2020 election results.

Here's the reality: You can't just sort of yada yada the election rejection embraced by Trump. Because in refusing to accept the result of the 2020 election and repeatedly (and falsely) alleging voter fraud, Trump is actively working against everything that makes America, well, America.

Hewitt's attempt to dismiss his disagreement with Trump over the election then as just another policy disagreement is laughable. This isn't Hewitt saying we should have stayed in Afghanistan and Trump saying we should have pulled American troops out. This is the former President of the United States refusing to accept the results of a national election.

And, it's actually more than that. It's that Trump has turned election denialism into a litmus test for aspiring Republican candidates. If you aren't willing to say you believe -- contra all available evidence -- that the 2020 election was stolen, then you not only won't have Trump's support but may well find him actively working to defeat you when you run for reelection. (See Brian Kemp and David Perdue in Georgia. Also Benjamin Netanyahu in Israel.)

Trump is working to make a belief that the 2020 election was stolen a central piece of the Republican Party platform. And, again, this isn't like making abortion or trade a party platform. This is making a rejection of American democracy a major part of what it means to be a Republican.

Because of all of that, Hewitt can't simply write what Trump is doing as a place where they disagree. That sort of justification is how we got into this mess, with one of the two major political parties in the country devolving more into a cult of personality than any sort of organization gathered together by a shared set of principles and policies.

Refusing to believe in the results of a free and fair election have to be disqualifying for any party leader. It's non-negotiable. If we can't agree that the election was fair -- even if our preferred candidate lost -- then we have sacrificed the thing that makes America great. That Hewitt -- and his fellow conservatives who continue to bend over backward to placate Trump -- can't (or won't) see that suggests just how lost the conservative movement is at the moment.

Corporate media toady that legitimized and brought us Trump in the first place is now blaming conservatives for the Trump era? Give me a break. I remember it well. CNN cameras focused on an empty podium at some random Holiday Inn waiting for Trump to show up while at the same time Bernie Sanders is speaking to record breaking crowds of tens of thousands with no coverage at all.

CNN and all the other news networks created this Frankenstein and now they want to wash their hands of their participation in this clusterfuck. Hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars in undeserved free air time given to this clown because he was good for ratings and profits.

Leslie Moonves on Donald Trump: “It May Not Be Good for America, but It’s Damn Good for CBS”

Not that the CBS executive chairman and CEO might vote for the Republican presidential frontrunner, but he likes the ad money Trump and his competitors are bringing to the network.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/leslie-moonves-donald-trump-may-871464/

My simple sentence says that my taxes went down and I had more money then than I do now with the idiot that followed him. I should add that I can almost guarantee my taxes (and yours) WILL go up with those that love to spend money they don't have.
(stepping off soap box now) No more comments will be given.

My simple sentence says that my taxes went down and I had more money then than I do now with the idiot that followed him.

y'know, I said the exact same thing, but in December 2017.

man, amazing what people have in common!

laugh-mock.gif

You've seem to have taken to that other poster's style of posting a wall of text in a quote box. Is this a phase such that I should just over look it for awhile, or is it your new schtick that I should go ahead and put you on ignore?

Not only is it annoying, but it violates the forum rules. And it makes you look as though you have no original thoughts.

You've seem to have taken to that other poster's style of posting a wall of text in a quote box. Is this a phase such that I should just over look it for awhile, or is it your new schtick that I should go ahead and put you on ignore?

Not only is it annoying, but it violates the forum rules. And it makes you look as though you have no original thoughts.

He doesn't and as far as I can tell never has.

Only to people who love America, democracy and freedom.

No, to the people who want to "progress" America into it's exact opposite of everything it was founded as and ever meant to be.

Nobody hates freedom as much as the "progressive" Democrats.

No, to the people who want to "progress" America into it's exact opposite of everything it was founded as and ever meant to be.

Nobody hates freedom as much as the "progressive" Democrats.

The guy tried to steal an election and overthrow a democratically elected government. If you support that, you hate America and all it stands for. You can’t have it both ways.

No, he didn't.

If you think he did that, you need to put the RAW/Salon/Keith Olberman down :)

He did & continues to do so. It's not debatable. This is this you choosing to live in a fantasyland rather than see an overwhelming amount of evidence showing that he did this without a doubt.

He did & continues to do so.

Only in the minds of the TDS afflicted.

It's not debatable.

I'm sure you believe that, but it's rather obvious you're saying this because you are the one who can't actually debate this. You have nothing to support your insane claim but a bunch of "orange man bad!!!" fee fees.

This is this you choosing to live in a fantasyland rather than see an overwhelming amount of evidence showing that he did this without a doubt.

TDS Fee Fees =/= evidence of anything but TDS.

Only in the minds of the TDS afflicted.

I'm sure you believe that, but it's rather obvious you're saying this because you are the one who can't actually debate this. You have nothing to support your insane claim but a bunch of "orange man bad!!!" fee fees.

TDS Fee Fees =/= evidence of anything but TDS.

Besides the proof that's already been given in the title of the thread???

"You know, Mr. President, you and I disagree about the election"

You're not offering any proof, you're just calling people names and not discussing the topic.

Besides the proof that's already been given in the title of the thread???

What proof??

The title and article in OP are all an opinion by some TDS afflicted (D)ipshit editor from CNN.

"You know, Mr. President, you and I disagree about the election"

Yea....and??? :) you going to make a point with that or are you just yelling at clouds some more??

You're not offering any proof, you're just calling people names and not discussing the topic.

I didn't make the claim. :)

What proof??

The title and article in OP are all an opinion by some TDS afflicted (D)ipshit editor from CNN.

Yea....and??? :) you going to make a point with that or are you just yelling at clouds some more??

I didn't make the claim. :)

You've made a few claims, they're just all based on your feelings.

Simple question, has Trump made multiple claims that the election was stolen from him but offered no proof to show that?

You've made a few claims, they're just all based on your feelings.

Not in that line of conversation, you'd have to go dig elsewhere for it.

Simple question, has Trump made multiple claims that the election was stolen from him but offered no proof to show that?

Quite the move from "The guy tried to steal an election and overthrow a democratically elected government.".
moving-goalpost.gif

Pearl Clutchin' Johnny is Annoyed!

The ignore button is your friend, most likely your only friend.

By all means, don't just sit there, join the ranks of the Lit self-appointed hall monitors (AJ and Que) and press that "Report Post" button.

SgtSpiderMan has the latest iteration of BoBo on the ropes. I suspect it's about time for BoBo to declare "victory".

One small step for Americanism, one giant pain in the ass for totalitarianism, and Rob.

Back