A recipe for you.

SeaCat

Hey, my Halo is smoking
Go out and buy yourself a nice package of Skirt Steak. Now this is probably the cheapest steak you will ever find because it is one of the toughest cuts of beef out there. (The old joke is you buy the Skirt Steak and after brining it home beat up the neighbor with it to tenderize it.) It is also one of the most flavorful.

Now in a blender put:

I bunch fresh chopped Parsley.
8 Cloves Garlic, minced
3/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Sherry Wine Vinegar. (I used red wine vinegar)
3 TBSP Lemon Juice
1 Tsp Sea Salt
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper (I used a 50/50 mix of Little Bird and Chipotle Peppers)

Blend until smooth. Now this will produce one of the vilest looking concoctions you have seen. It looks kind of like a Lawn Mulch Shake.

Pour a bit of this in the bottom of a covered bowl, then add the meat. (Skirt Steak is long so lay it in, pour some more marinade then fold the meat over and add the rest of the marinade. This makes sure the meat is covered on all sides.) Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge for at least an hour. (I let mine sit in the fridge for 5 hours then on the counter to warm up for an hour.)

Move your grill so it is not under or next to anything flammable. Fire up the grill and preheat it while digging out your longest tongs. When the grill is ready use the tongs to place the meat flat on the rack, avoiding the resulting fireballs. (I turned off the gas at this point and allowed the resulting flames to cook the meat.) Close the cover and watch the flames shooting from the side vents.:eek:

After about a minute or two turn the gas back on.

After cooking for roughly three minutes flip the steaks and cook for another three minutes. (This results in Medium Rare Steaks. Cook longer for more done ness.)

After cooking the steaks set them on a platter to settle for about five minutes then cut into pieces for serving.

Our steaks tonight were absolutely incredible. Great taste and tender enough we were literally cutting them with our forks.

Cat

Bulgogi (Korean Barbecued Beef) Recipe

Bulgogi is a traditional meat dish that is usually grilled, but broiling or cooking it in a pan is common also. The beef is marinated for a couple of hours - the longer the better the flavor - and then served with rice, side dishes and lettuce. The best way to eat Bulgogi is to eat it wrapped in lettuce and rice with some Korean hot pepper paste for added spiciness. Enjoy!

bulgogi1.jpg

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 pounds sirloin, thinly sliced
* 2 onions, thinly sliced
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 tablespoon sesame oil
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
* Freshly ground pepper
* 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)

PREPARATION:

1. In a large bowl, add onions to beef.
2. Combine sugar, sesame oil and soy sauce to form a sauce. Add in garlic and ginger. Mix well.
3. Marinate the beef in the sauce for about three hours (the longer the better).
4. Season with pepper.
5. Grill on a grill, pan-fry or broil for about 15 minutes, or until meat is done.
6. Sprinkle sesame seeds over dish, serve with rice and side dishes.
7. Makes 4 servings.

Bulgogi is a traditional meat dish that is usually grilled, but broiling or cooking it in a pan is common also. The beef is marinated for a couple of hours - the longer the better the flavor - and then served with rice, side dishes and lettuce. The best way to eat Bulgogi is to eat it wrapped in lettuce and rice with some Korean hot pepper paste for added spiciness. Enjoy!

bulgogi1.jpg

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 pounds sirloin, thinly sliced
* 2 onions, thinly sliced
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 tablespoon sesame oil
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
* Freshly ground pepper
* 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)

PREPARATION:

1. In a large bowl, add onions to beef.
2. Combine sugar, sesame oil and soy sauce to form a sauce. Add in garlic and ginger. Mix well.
3. Marinate the beef in the sauce for about three hours (the longer the better).
4. Season with pepper.
5. Grill on a grill, pan-fry or broil for about 15 minutes, or until meat is done.
6. Sprinkle sesame seeds over dish, serve with rice and side dishes.
7. Makes 4 servings.

Bless you my child, come here and sin some more.:devil:

When I lived and worked in Germany my Korean Co-workers would make this dish for our weekly Pot Lucks. They always made an extra bowl just for me. (I was the only American they knew who would and could eat it with sticks, then again I was the only American they knew who would and could eat Kimchi.:D The extra bowl they made for me was seasoned the way they ate it at home, which means it could take paint off walls and your breath would melt windows. I loved it.)

Cat

Bless you my child, come here and sin some more.:devil:

When I lived and worked in Germany my Korean Co-workers would make this dish for our weekly Pot Lucks. They always made an extra bowl just for me. (I was the only American they knew who would and could eat it with sticks, then again I was the only American they knew who would and could eat Kimchi.:D The extra bowl they made for me was seasoned the way they ate it at home, which means it could take paint off walls and your breath would melt windows. I loved it.)

Cat

( FYI- I'm MeiohSetsuna)

My grandmother is Korean, so she thought me a few Korean dishes. I think this thread is a brilliant idea, and I'll definitely be putting up more recipes!!! =^.^=:heart:

Steiktar Heilagfiski

1 Slice halibut, 1 1/2 to 2
-inches thick
1 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
3 tb Melted butter
1 c Canned tomatoes
1/2 ts Sugar
1 Medium onion
1/2 c Heavy cream

Rince halibut and dry on paper towels. Remove skin. Place in a
buttered baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush with
remaining melted butter. Crush tomatoes, add sugar, and spread over
fish. Cover with thinly sliced onion and bake for 20 minutes in a
hot oven (400F). Pour cream over fish and bake an additional 10
minutes.

^ My grandparents on my mother's side are Icelandic ^^

Okay, this takes some special materials but it is well worth it.

Go out and get some short ribs. (No not Spare Ribs and certainly not Baby Back's.) For two people I recomend one rack. (Although I usually do two racks for the wife and myself because we like the leftovers.)

In a large stock pot toss:

1 head of Garlic, minced.
2 Onions, diced.
2 palms of Sea Salt. (Roughly 2-3 TBSP)
6 Chipotle Peppers
enough water to cover the ribs.

Bring this to a boil then add the ribs. Boil for 15-20 minutes.

As the ribs are boiling mix in a bowl.

Several cloves of garlic, grated.
1 Onion, grated
1 TBSP salt.
4-6 Chipotle Peppers, crushed fine
1-2 Teaspoons Olive Oil

When you pull the ribs out of the boil rub them with the above mix. Let them sit until they cool then toss them in the fridge.

If you don't have a smoke cooker or a smoke box for the grill make one. A cheap way to do this is cut a coffee can down to about two inches tall. Get your wood chips out. (I like Hickory although Maple works.)

In the morning set the woodchips to soaking in some water. Just enough to cover them. Let them soak for an hour or so.

At around noon or aybe later put your smoke box in your grill, or set up your smoker. Fire up the grill and let it heat up. Add the wood.

Now if you have a smoke cooker just add the ribs and turn down the heat. If you have a grill then turn off the heat on one side and put the ribs on that side. (On the unused side, the side with the woodbox turn the heat down to low.)

Now comes the hard part. Let the ribs sit in there for the afternoon. Oh go ahead and turn them occasionaly but for the most part let them alone. Add wood as needed to the smoke box.

Around five or six in the evening go ahead and crack a cold one if you haven't already. Chase the neighbors away from the grill and gently lift the ribs away from the grates. (Go ahead and shut off the grill or smoke cooker at this time.)

Bring the ribs inside and using a sharp knife carefully cut them apart. (They should be at the just falling apart stage.)

Serve with Bisquits and maybe some Cole Slaw. I like to have the BBQ Sauce on the side so people can add it as they wish.

Cat

Now I admit to being a displaced Yankee with a love of flavor and an odd sense of humor. I also like to play with food.

Last year my wife got me a smoker/smoke cooker. (Propane fired don't you know.)

I loved pulled pork. I played with it and hit upon this recipe.

In a blender toss some minced garlic, minced onion, Little Bird Peppers, a bit of Vinegar and a little bit of Lemon Juice. Blend until smooth.

Inject this into a Pork Shoulder and let sit for the night.

Place the Shoulder in your smoker after firing it up. Make sure the water pan is full. Let that sucker sit there in the steamy smoke all day. (We're talking at least six hours.)

Put on a pair of gloves and gently lift the chunk of meat out of the smoker. Set it on a platter and using a couple of forks start pulling it apart.

Serve this on rolls with BBQ Sauce on the side. (I like to use Onion Rolls, but I'm strange that way.)

Now again you can modify your grill, be it a gas grill or a charcoal grill to make it a slow smoker/cooker.

Do I dare offer up my more esoteric recipes? Grilled 'Gator? Rabbit? Rattle Snake?

How about grilled Blue Fish? Smoked Tuna Steaks? Fried Flounder? Tautog Sushi?

Cat

Wow, no one else is adding to this?

Okay here's another one for you.

Cat's Kabobs

Get a good lean cut of beef. Cube it into one inch pieces.

In a bowl place;

Chili Powder,
Garlic Powder,
Onion Powder,
Crushed Chipotle Pepper,
a pinch of salt
enough Olive Oil to wet the mix.

Roll the meat in this and bag. Place in the fridge overnight.

Heat your grill. While the grill is heating skewer the meat. Place on grill until the meat is almost done.

While the meat is cooking cut up a Vidalia Onion, Green and Red Bell Peppers. Cut these into one inch pieces. Also warm some Cherry Tomatoes.

Pull the meat off the skewers. Skewer the meat, Onion, Peppers and Tomatoes. (A piece of meat, a piece of pepper, a piece of onion, a tomatoe and a piece of the other colored pepper. Repeat.)

Turn the grill down to low and place the Kabobs on the grill. Turn every couple of minutes. They are done when the onion just starts to turn.

Serve and enjoy.

Cat

Family Size package of pork chops.
Bottle of Italian dressing - full leaded, no fat free, reduced fat, etc.
Gallon size ziplock bag.

Chops in the back. Dump dressing on top. Use it all. Let set one, two, three days. Grill to taste.

Family Size package of pork chops.
Bottle of Italian dressing - full leaded, no fat free, reduced fat, etc.
Gallon size ziplock bag.

Chops in the back. Dump dressing on top. Use it all. Let set one, two, three days. Grill to taste.

Sounds good to me.

I'll have to try it.

Cat

SeaCat, your making me hungry. No fair.

So it's only fair that I do it back to you :p

asian_princess' Pho recipe
( send to me, a year ago by her):heart:

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
5 lb Beef bones with marrow
5 lb Oxtails
1 lb FATTY Flank steak
2 lg Onions -- unpeeled, halved,
-and studded with 8 cloves
3 Shallots -- unpeeled
2 oz Piece ginger -- unpeeled
8 Star anise
1 Cinnamon stick
4 md Parsnips cut in 2-inch
-chunks
2 ts Salt
1 lb Beef sirloin
2 Scallions -- thinly sliced
1 tb Cilantro -- chopped
2 md Onions -- thinly sliced
1/4 c Hot chili sauce
1 lb Rice noodles 1/4-inch wide
-(or banh pho)
1/2 c Nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish
-sauce)
Black pepper -- freshly grnd.
2 c Fresh bean sprouts
2 Fresh chili peppers -- sliced
2 Limes cut in wedges
1 bn Fresh mint
1 bn Fresh Asian or regular basil

Soak bone overnight in cold water. Place bones,
oxtails and flank steak in a large stock pot. Add
water to cover and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes,
drain and rinse pot and bones. Return bones to pot,
add 6 quarts water and bring to a boil. Skim surface
of scum and fat. Stir bones at bottom from time to
time. Add 3 more quarts water, bring to a boil again
and skim scum. Lower heat and let simmer. Char
clove-studded onions, shallots, and ginger under a
broiler until they release their fragrant odors. Tie
charred vegetables, star anise, and cinnamon stick in
a thick, dampened cheesecloth. Put it in stock with
parsnips and salt. Simmer for 1 hour. Remove flank
steak and continue simmering broth, uncovered pot, for
4-5 hours. Add more water if level goes below bones.

Meanwhile, slice beef sirloin against grain into
paper-thin slices, about 2-by-2 inches. Slice flank
steak the same way. Set aside. In a small bowl,
combine scallions, cilantro, and half the sliced
onions. Place remaining onions in another bowl and
mix in hot chili sauce. Soak rice noodles in warm
water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.

When broth is ready, discard bones. Strain broth
through a colander lined with a double layer of damp
cheesecloth into a clean pot. Add fish sauce and
bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. In another
pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Add noodles
and drain immediately. Do not overcook noodles.
Divide among 4 large soup bowls. Top noodles with
sliced meats. Bring broth to a rolling boil, then
ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with scallions mixture
and black pepper. Serve the onions in hot chili sauce
and remaining ingredients on the side to add as
desired. Also, you can add Hoisin sauce as a dip.

Lime Chicken:

Take the bird and cut the back bone out to butterfly it

Put it in a huge freezer bag with-

1/2 cup lime juice (fresh squeezed is best)
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp of cumin
1/2 Tbsp of cayenne pepper (more if you like things hot!)
1/2 cup EVOOil (like virgins! hehehe)

massage it into the bird and let it sit for at least two hours.
Get the bbq ready with a smoke box of sweet wood chips.
Slap it on the grill bone side down (you could debone the inside to let the flavours mingle better-dont take the leg bones or the wings out.

with indirect heat, smoke that puppy for a good three hours then put it on the side with the coals to crisp it up.

Meat is great in tacos or just on its own with a taco salad.
C

Jjinmandu (Steamed dumpling)

Ingredients: 4 packs wanton skin (rounds), 1 lb ground beef
1 cup kimchi*, 1 bunch bu chu (Korean chives)**
1/2 onion, finely chopped, 3 green onions, finely chopped
3 tbsp minced garlic, 2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp salt
2 tsp ground pepper, 1 tsp juice of ginger
1 egg, beaten (to seal wanton skin)
cho kan jang (soy sauce with rice vinegar)
4 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp gochugaru (Korean chili powder)- optional
(*You can substitute kim chi with blanched nappa cabbage.)
(**Korean chives - They are strong in flavor, a bit tough in texture.)

Wash kimchi lightly to get rid of spicyness and squeeze the water out.
(or if you like it hot, don't wash it.)
Chop finely.
Wash chives, grain, chop into 1/8 inch pieces.

In a large bowl, add everything, mix well to combine.
Put some egg around the wanton skin, take about 1/2 tbsp of filling
and fold into a half moon shape.
Make some ruffles.

Boil a big pot of water, add man du, bring to a boil, reduce to medium heat.
Cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
Drain, serve with cho kan jang (soy sauce with rice vinegar).

Tips: Mandu recipe is very forgiving.
You can add blanched bean sprouts, chopped zucchini and mushrooms etc...
If you like pork, chicken or turkey instead, use them.

Some people don't like ginger pieces in dumplings,
the juice of ginger blends much better with the rest of the ingredients.
You can use finely chopped ginger if you like.

I think I'll give this a go today. Sounds yummy.

Go out and buy yourself a nice package of Skirt Steak. Now this is probably the cheapest steak you will ever find because it is one of the toughest cuts of beef out there. (The old joke is you buy the Skirt Steak and after brining it home beat up the neighbor with it to tenderize it.) It is also one of the most flavorful.

Now in a blender put:

I bunch fresh chopped Parsley.
8 Cloves Garlic, minced
3/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Sherry Wine Vinegar. (I used red wine vinegar)
3 TBSP Lemon Juice
1 Tsp Sea Salt
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper (I used a 50/50 mix of Little Bird and Chipotle Peppers)

Blend until smooth. Now this will produce one of the vilest looking concoctions you have seen. It looks kind of like a Lawn Mulch Shake.

Pour a bit of this in the bottom of a covered bowl, then add the meat. (Skirt Steak is long so lay it in, pour some more marinade then fold the meat over and add the rest of the marinade. This makes sure the meat is covered on all sides.) Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge for at least an hour. (I let mine sit in the fridge for 5 hours then on the counter to warm up for an hour.)

Move your grill so it is not under or next to anything flammable. Fire up the grill and preheat it while digging out your longest tongs. When the grill is ready use the tongs to place the meat flat on the rack, avoiding the resulting fireballs. (I turned off the gas at this point and allowed the resulting flames to cook the meat.) Close the cover and watch the flames shooting from the side vents.:eek:

After about a minute or two turn the gas back on.

After cooking for roughly three minutes flip the steaks and cook for another three minutes. (This results in Medium Rare Steaks. Cook longer for more done ness.)

After cooking the steaks set them on a platter to settle for about five minutes then cut into pieces for serving.

Our steaks tonight were absolutely incredible. Great taste and tender enough we were literally cutting them with our forks.

Cat

Back