A Note on Sending Me Anonymous Advice

Ah, you are talking about a situation where someone who claims to be a Lit author is giving you advice and criticism but stays anonymous? I see how it can be irritating but you should really focus on the validity of the actual feedback, in my opinion. If the tone of their advice is respectful then you shouldn't get so riled up about it. If it isn't... well, I guess there are people who like giving advice because it makes them feel superior but you should be the smarter person in that case. Take something useful from their feedback and ignore the tone. It is the best way to stick it to people who like elevating themselves by putting other people down. On the other hand, it could just be some random person who is trying to annoy you.

I have found that almost all people don't like advice, opinions, critiques, unless it's the advice, opinions, and critiques they want to hear.

I have found that almost all people don't like advice, opinions, critiques, unless it's the advice, opinions, and critiques they want to hear.
There is a lot of truth in that, I'm afraid. I have offered constructive criticism several times in the Story Feedback forum and I wish I could say that it was taken well most times... 🫤
And these are the cases where people specifically asked for criticism. Oh, well.

Only those who don't want to improve. It's all in the delivery. There are two ways to give advice, criticism and voice opinions. One is as a lash, the other as a teaching tool. It depends on who's on the giving end which is which and who is on the receiving end as to how they respond.

Comshaw

Only those who don't want to improve. It's all in the delivery. There are two ways to give advice, criticism and voice opinions. One is as a lash, the other as a teaching tool. It depends on who's on the giving end which is which and who is on the receiving end as to how they respond.

Comshaw
There's at least one more way people do that.
Sometimes they say things like, "You should smile more," because they think you'll be improved if you do. But mostly you just make them (more) smug if you listen to them.

That might legitimately apply to Literotica, which is a sharing site, not a critique site. Writers here who haven't specifically asked for feedback (which would make them free game) would have every justification to think they were noncritically sharing here for likeminded readers, who would mainly be the ones to comment on a story.

Comshaw

I've watched, on here, that it's less about delivery and more about what a person wants to here.

I've watched, on here, that it's less about delivery and more about what a person wants to here.
Have you ever heard the parable about the blind men and an elephant? Sometimes empirical observation is like that, colored but the limited scope of it.

Comshaw

Have you ever heard the parable about the blind men and an elephant? Sometimes empirical observation is like that, colored but the limited scope of it.

Comshaw
Blind or not, they still eat the damned thing one bite at a time, just like everybody else.
No idea how that's relevant, but it's hard to waist a good line. :)

Comshaw

On Lit, from personal experience to observation, giving advice and expressing opinions on another person's work is like walking on eggshells, even when done nicely.

Nothing is a hundred percent, but I've found it's not worth it.

The most ironic situation is when you see authors in this forum say "I don't care about negative comments. I just delete them." Obviously they care or they'd leave the negative comments alone.

The most ironic situation is when you see authors in this forum say "I don't care about negative comments. I just delete them." Obviously they care or they'd leave the negative comments alone.
Depends on the kind of negative comment. I've left ones critical of my work, but I will certainly delete ones which are hateful, misogynistic, etc.

Depends on the kind of negative comment. I've left ones critical of my work, but I will certainly delete ones which are hateful, misogynistic, etc.
I agree. The ones that say "You use 'cream' too often", or "One day you'll learn to write women with a full bush of hair" can stay. The ones that go into creepy detail of what they did to their little sister don't last long.

Something worth mentioning: someone (i forget who, it’s been a few years since I recall seeing it) pointed out that a surprisingly low percentage of all authors (story side) partake of the forums. Their logic and explanation made sense, and if I recall it was near or under ten percent or even less.

So there’s a sizable chance the email in question is from someone who may never see this thread, extra odds for that since they used lit’s email feature, whose shortcomings are discussed regularly here.

A lot of us saying that and deleting negative comments are just engaging in natural promotion of their work. I'm not sure why it's important to you to establish what other authors care about.

Just a note to anyone who is thinking about about sending me anonymous advice:

I ignore it

It could have been great advice, I wouldn't know. If you don't respect me enough use your nom-de-plume (A FAKE NAME for Christ sakes!) and add a return return address and entertain the possibility of an actual conversation... I see it as a insult and a slight. I believe that you're telling me that I'm not good enough as a member of Literotica community to address with common courtesy, that I'm not smart enough to converse with you.

Your superiority to me prevents me from knowing who you are (or to be honest, who you're pretending to be)

Maybe I'm over reacting, I grew up dirt poor and was reminded of my social inferiority daily by school mates whose parents took them to exotic locations on holiday. But at least they let me know who was calling me inferior.

Don't get the idea that it hurts my feelings, I just delete the anonymous email then I look at the four cash prizes I won last year and am happy that Laurel will talk to me
Wow, do I have to read everything in this thread? Anyway, I listen to any advice I get. Much of it is useless, but every now and again there is some gem that I have used to good effect. In on case, the tone was rude but the advice was useful anyway.

Social inferiority is a common feeling - there is always somebody above you. I feel relatively comfortable on Literotica because I've published a lot here of varying degrees of quality. (Plus two other sites.) If you like what you've done here, then nobody can take that away from you. I hope this brief comment is helpful.

It happens, but I didn't even get that. I got "I'm a fellow writer here" and that's where I stopped reading and hit delete

But If I'm not worthy of a fellow writer revealing their name to me, I say, don't lower yourself. Just walk away and feel superior. Have a nice day
Since 95% of the people here have user names, they are already not fully revealing themselves. Probably some of us here are presenting a "personality" that may only be partially true - or completely faked! I do believe what you have revealed about yourself. It's your choice to do that or not as you see fit. But your comments of this board have always been respectful.

I figured out who it was!!!

The anonymous author of "Advice" sent me another message. No, they did not say "hey, it was me, let's talk" and attempt to start a dialogue, you know, like a polite respectful human being or possibly even a peer wanting to exchange information

No, the writer sent a snotty little missive that said "if you listened to me you'd be a better writer" so clearly there's an air of arrogance, an unearned assumption of superiority, it can only be - - -

My ex wife! An arrogant little ... person always having to get in the last word.

The next message with probably be "Nyaaaa!"

No, the writer sent a snotty little missive that said "if you listened to me you'd be a better writer" so clearly there's an air of arrogance, an unearned assumption of superiority, it can only be - - -

My ex wife! An arrogant little ... person always having to get in the last word.
The obvious reply is, "But if I'd listened to you, we'd still be married. Seems like a fair trade to me."

The obvious reply is, "But if I'd listened to you, we'd still be married. Seems like a fair trade to me."
Well, when you come home from a long overseas deployment to three different war zones and you're greeted with "It was so nice while you were gone," you go.

While I never delete comments, some are just worthless and should be trashed. Example:

"Whores and willing cucks in a really foolish story."

This guy has left similar comments on a couple of my other stories. What is it I'm supposed to learn from this? Ain't much I can learn 'cept he's got a fabulous view of the inside of his colon.

Or this one:
"Great story, but things would have gone much better if our hero had helped with the dishes."

Oh, wait, never mind. That one I like and the poster is correct. If I were hoping to get a woman to go to bed with me I'd damn sure be up to my elbows in dishwater, with ulterior motives. To make her think I'm a really great guy and because I wouldn't want dishwater rough hands wrapped around my little whanger. :rolleyes:

Comshaw

Back