A "Foreign" Challenge

greenmountaineer

Literotica Guru
I'm fascinated how language is ever changing and expanding. It seems to me that will accelerate even more so in the near future. A kid in Beijing probably knows what a "Big Mac" is even if he doesn't know another word in English.

I'd like to suggest a challenge where the poem will include words from a foreign language, but here's the real challenge: Include words that can be understood in the context of the poem, such that a reader doesn't have to go to a dictionary to discover their meaning.

I've dusted off an old poem to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Lidice

Iowa read it with eggs and bacon
on the front page of The Register

while Britain's Houses of Parliament
spewed their afternoon tea.

Do not trouble der Führer, little boys
of Europe and America.

Your women will be raped, your children
worked like slaves. Der Führer has his ways

and the means for men of Czechoslovakia,
shot in Horák's pasture and trenched

from which their blood in Lidice’s clay
shaped sculpted children too frightened to say

J's for jablko, C for chléb
packed in their lunch box every day

and R for the růže Maminska once grew
that wilts among weeds in her garden.

(In memoriam for the massacre on June 10, 1942)

http://www.lidice-memorial.cz/en/memorial/war-childrens-victims-monument/

"Der Führer," of course, is easily recognizable. "jablko" and "chlèb" aren't, and I'd argue that what they specifically are is less important than the image of innocence where children bring their lunch pails to school. Maybe you disagree. "růže" and "Maminska" I think are discernible as "rose" and "Mother."

Poems in dialect are acceptable too, for example, "Brooklynese" or Cockney, but tease the words so it's a little more challenging than "youse guys" or "Blimey!"

If I can get 5-6 poets interested, I'll go ahead with it and follow the same pattern as recent challenges, i.e., anonymous postings, a period of feedback, and possible revisions before disclosing authorship.

Last edited:
I'm fascinated how language is ever changing and expanding. It seems to me that will accelerate even more so in the near future. A kid in Beijing probably knows what a "Big Mac" is even if he doesn't know another word in English.

I'd like to suggest a challenge where the poem will include words from a foreign language, but here's the real challenge: Include words that can be understood in the context of the poem, such that a reader doesn't have to go to a dictionary to discover their meaning.

If I can get 5-6 poets interested, I'll go ahead with it and follow the same pattern as recent challenges, i.e., anonymous postings, a period of feedback, and possible revisions before disclosing authorship.

I'll give it a go, gm. What time frame did you have in mind?

I'll give it a go, gm. What time frame did you have in mind?

I would say start to finish no more than a month, Mer: 2 weeks for submissions with allowance for latecomers and no more than two weeks for comments and possible revisions.

Oddly enough this ties in with something I started the other week, I'll have to go and have another look at it.

if I can come up with something, i'll sub it. an interesting challenge, G :rose:

There are 7 poets expressing interest thus far, so Laissez les bon temps rouler, so to speak.

Date for closing submissions will be 2 weeks from today, the 21st, with a little flexibility if someone needs a couple of days extra. I'd like to post all of them together for another week of comments and possible revisions before disclosing identities.

Buena suerte, bonne chance, break a leg(That's all folks.)

There are 7 poets expressing interest thus far, so Laissez les bon temps rouler, so to speak.

Date for closing submissions will be 2 weeks from today, the 21st, with a little flexibility if someone needs a couple of days extra. I'd like to post all of them together for another week of comments and possible revisions before disclosing identities.

Just a thought but maybe you could officially push the due date to the 24th, given that Easter falls on the 16th, tax day is the 18th and Passover ends the evening of the 18th. Some folks may not be able to do much work on their poems until the 19th. That way if they've been traveling or hosting (or just working on their taxes in the States), they have the weekend for poetry!

Just a thought but maybe you could officially push the due date to the 24th, given that Easter falls on the 16th, tax day is the 18th and Passover ends the evening of the 18th. Some folks may not be able to do much work on their poems until the 19th. That way if they've been traveling or hosting (or just working on their taxes in the States), they have the weekend for poetry!

Bonne idée, Angeline. Consider it done.

And it was Passion Sunday last week so some folk might be exhausted.;)

Schmear Campaign

Just this morning Ma'am was telling us how grape jelly was so much better on toast than cream cheese

We have thus far 7 poems from 6 poets. I'd say that's a pretty good start.

Per Angie's suggestion, the deadline will be Sunday, the 23rd, so there is still ample time to develop a poem.

One of the nice things about coordinating a challenge is you get to see an imagination at work before anyone else does.

Back