A female writer's story on Mother/Son incest. Did I go too far in my story?

WendyTrilby

Electric Storyteller
So far on Literotica, I’ve posted three stories in a series called Portmanteau. Each episode of Portmantue contains three stories that are loosely interconnected. All the episodes are published under Erotic Couplings but contain several elements of other categories.

I’ve been nervous about trying a different category, something more on the extreme end of the spectrum. To that end, I’ve written and posted a standalone story. It is not part of my series, but the characters are found in the series.

The category I’ve chosen to try is Incest/Taboo. I realize it's a jump to go to one of the more extreme categories, but I’ve done it and am anxious to get thoughts. Please be aware of the categories and the meta tags before reading this as I do not want to shock anyone with my departure from the more safe Erotic Couplings category.

The new story is called My Wicked Mother - The Wicked Wendie Weckenstein.

While there is a lot of material generated in this category, I attempted to write something a little different. To that end, there are some interesting twists and turns and a hell of a lot of eroticism. In many cases it can be extreme.

So far the reviews have been great and the audience in that category is robust, to say the least. I was scolded by one reader for not indicating NRT (which I had to look up - it's cheating). However, I also realize you can please everyone, especially in some of the more specific categories.

If it's in your wheelhouse, please give it a read and I would love your feedback

I am curious, have any other writers dipped their toes into one of the more extreme categories and what was the reaction? Part of me worries I might alienate those who like my Erotic Coupling works, but part of me wants to expand my audience.

Enjoy the story, but if that category is not for you, then try my Portmanteau series where I guarantee you will find something that works for you.

Last edited:
So far on Literotica, I’ve posted three stories in a series called Portmanteau. Each episode of Portmantue contains three stories that are loosely interconnected. All the episodes are published under Erotic Couplings but contain several elements of other categories.

I’ve been nervous about trying a different category, something more on the extreme end of the spectrum. To that end, I’ve written and posted a standalone story. It is not part of my series, but the characters are found in the series.

The category I’ve chosen to try is Incest/Taboo. I realize it's a jump to go to one of the more extreme categories, but I’ve done it and am anxious to get thoughts. Please be aware of the categories and the meta tags before reading this as I do not want to shock anyone with my departure from the more safe Erotic Couplings category.

While there is a lot of material generated in this category, I attempted to write something a little different. To that end, there are some interesting twists and turns and a hell of a lot of eroticism. In many cases it can be extreme.

So far the reviews have been great and the audience in that category is robust, to say the least. I was scolded by one reader for not indicating NRT (which I had to look up - it's cheating). However, I also realize you can please everyone, especially in some of the more specific categories.

If it's in your wheelhouse, please give it a read and I would love your feedback

I am curious, have any other writers dipped their toes into one of the more extreme categories and what was the reaction? Part of me worries I might alienate those who like my Erotic Coupling works, but part of me wants to expand my audience.

Enjoy the story, but if that category is not for you, then try my Portmanteau series where I guarantee you will find something that works for you.
Hello!

I’m definitely no expert but I would say that if you’re writing these different genres as separate stories, I think that would be best. I think those who read more vanilla categories would be put off by the more extreme ones. Personally I write a lot of incest and reluctance stories. From what I can tell, those two categories hold a much larger audience, so I can definitely understand your interest in reaching more viewers.

I wouldn’t worry about the upset NRT comment. I don’t think I’ve ever placed a warning on any story and have never had a complaint of that type.

Ultimately, my advice would be to write whatever you feel interested/passionate about.

Anyways, I’ll check out your story and give feedback!

Incest isn't really an extreme category. It *can* be but scores and views can be punished for straying too far from category familiarities and expectations.

I've said this elsewhere but it still rings true, Incest is mostly pillow soft. It has a nice, gradual on ramp for heteronormatives to feel "wicked" while barely straying from meat and potatoes P in V.

Hence poly, open, homosexual, and similar non-standard relationships seeing push back that seems outsized if you consider the category as "taboo" and "out of the norm" as many like to claim.

Your themes aren't my cup of tea and not what I regularly explore through writing (so I'd be a poor judge on the subtleties of your delivery) but I would expect any pushback have little to do with quality of content and everything to do with at least a vocal minority not being as taboo/boundary pushing as your other themes are.

So far the reviews have been great and the audience in that category is robust, to say the least. I was scolded by one reader for not indicating NRT
Different may work against you here. It'll be interesting to see. As to the one off complaint, bin it. Everybody has a take. Author accessibility emboldens some to ask for their specific desires under the guise of author criticism.

If a collective grows over a specific surprise, then I'd consider it. But it'd take quite a few, thoughtful and explanatory voices.
(which I had to look up - it's cheating). However, I also realize you can please everyone, especially in some of the more specific categories.

Another thing worth mentioning is the category loves build up, butting up against the taboo and overcoming it. There's not much of that here. Not a wrong choice, just a common theme/threads employed by many incest authors (and often sought by readers)

I suppose it could be done in retrospect but I imagine you'd lose quite a few readers which is a shame b/c you clearly have the sex scene chops.
Some of us use alts to help our more fragile readers keep themselves under the false illusion that we write only what they like, all of the time. If parts of your literary self are divergent enough that one side doesn't support the other (or actively submarines b/c readers can be juvenile sometimes) consider an alt.

If you're afraid of alienating your EC readers, it might be a reasonable consideration to set up an alternative pen name under which to publish your more "extreme" work (however you may want to define this term for yourself).

Too far? No. I'm a big boy and skating past the part I'm not into was no problem, to finish the story. You write well and I'd be disappointed if there wasn't more to come from that wicked woman.

I thought it was a great story, very well written. It was a different take on the incest taboo. I think you definitely pushed the edge of that envelope, and that was part of what made it so great!

I do love a good "Cast-Iron Bitch" character, and you so perfectly nailed that aspect of her character. Gave it five stars.

It was wonderful. I cant wait for more.

You're right: you will NOT please every reader on Lit, and all Lit readers are NOT created equal, either.

You can have small elements of other categories in your primary category, so long as one of those extra elements doesn't dominate. For example, one author put his story as "romance" and it was clear after only 1 of 3 pages there was ZERO romance in it: it alternated between BDSM, voyeurism, erotic couplings, fetish...nearly every reader said it belonged in Erotic Couplings for the best fit, and that would have been right. In contrast, I completed a romance series that had one scene of BDSM, maybe 6 paragraphs long, 1/4 Lit page max; out of 4 Lit pages, that's nothing so yes, the overwhelming balance was romance.

Main things I would caution about would be these: stick to your premise and stay true to how you establish your characters--don't retcon them later so they "fit" where you want the narrative to go; if you want your readers to be aware of special circumstance or terms, include a disclaimer that covers all that, or you'll get called on something you tried to do that clearly didn't fit; if you'd like extra insurance and input, continue posting links in here for pre-feedback and then you can adjust your story before submitting online. Other than that, just be consistent in whatever your process is and measure yourself against what you know you are capable of.

I remember one of my favorite authors confided in me she was scared spitless to submit a story to "Loving Wives," and when I read it, I thought it was going to be a hit. It was and the majority really enjoyed it; in fact, I don't remember a single negative comment. BUT know that if you want a challenge, "Loving Wives" is probably the toughest Lit category there is, something I wouldn't embark upon until you feel your writing chops are where they need to be to tackle it.

One key problem with the Incest category is it covers a wide area of different niches. Not everyone is comfortable with every niche.

Some people are into parent-child like you wrote. Some- writers or audiences like me- are more into sibling or cousin incest- same age group makes things more comfortable for some people. Same for homosexual vs heterosexual incest, it’s more fun for some readers to imagine two sisters getting together and then going after a guy than a brother seducing a sister or vice versa.

Whenever I read parent child incest I have trouble getting past the age gap and other things. I also have to edit out grooming and so forth. I want these characters to enjoy having sex with each other. Incest can make it hot, yes, but the story needs to stand without it. You need to tone down the taboo, make it less blatant for some people. That was the main issue I had with reading your story. I can’t speak for other people.

Pick your Taboos, use what you’re comfortable with. And realize your audience will be limited in that category even further via internal niches. I can’t give any better advice than that if you want to stay in Taboo.

I mainly work in Celebrity, a similar niche category that can in fact cover a wide variety of areas. Plenty of my stories have varied sex scenes. I put Lesbian stuff in Rendezvous & A Step Up. Rendezvous also has Group Sex & Masturbation. Compensation is a Romance story. The Beijing Streakers has Exhibitionism at the beginning and the climax has a massive Interracial Group Sex orgy with MF, FF, MFF, and MMF pairings that includes oral, anal, and sibling incest. Passion 4 has a similar orgy with fewer participants and cousins instead of siblings. It might also be an erotic horror story for adherents or critics of a certain religion due to the Romeo & Juliet subplot. Or maybe readers will appreciate that subplot for the Romance it was written as. Passion 5 is the closest I will ever come to Loving Wives. I am even more uncomfortable with that category than Taboo. Passion 4 also has plenty of cheating but there’s no married couples participating in the action. That’s what happens when you cast rock star groupie/wife Kate Hudson as your Rosalind/Nurse character for Romeo & Juliet. Don’t even get me started on the other characters. I also have a Deer Hunter inspired NC story and a BDSM story set in the God of War video game universe. I had to put all these stories in Celebrity due to the characters. But there are categories within categories, wheels within wheels.

[calms down and ceases advertising] Be prepared to look for niches within niches. Be prepared to accept that readers may have different preferences than you. Then write for your preferences and step out when you can. Good luck.

Last edited:
I thought it was a great story, very well written. It was a different take on the incest taboo. I think you definitely pushed the edge of that envelope, and that was part of what made it so great!

I do love a good "Cast-Iron Bitch" character, and you so perfectly nailed that aspect of her character. Gave it five stars.
Then Beth on Yellowstone must be one of your heroines.

Back