Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > General Board

Old 11-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Ulaven_Demorte
Non-Prophet Organization

New and Improved "Doom and Gloom™" Thread

In honor of the closing of my original "Doom and Gloom" thread, may it rest in peace.

35,330 posts from September 2009 to present. Not one of which disproved the Original Post.

Quote:
With the Dow climbing near 10,000 again what's happened to all of the dire, end of the world ravings of our resident "conservative" economists?

Where is all of this inflation we were warned about? According to reports the Consumer Price Index is down 1.5% overall from last year. Despite Augusts increase in prices, gasoline is still down 30% from the high a year ago.

Despite the dire warnings of some of Lit's resident math wizards the Chinese are still very much interested in buying US Treasury securities.

I guess the sky isn't falling after all.

Dow tops 16,000, S&P hits 1800

Thanks Obama!
Men are expendable; women and children are not. A tribe or a nation can lose a high percentage of its men and still pick up the pieces and go on… as long as the women and children are saved. But if you fail to save the women and children, you've had it, you're done, you're through! You join Tyrannosaurus Rex, one more breed that bilged its final test. - Robert Heinlein, "The Pragmatics of Patriotism"

"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." - Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Old 11-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
koalabear
~Armed and Fuzzy~

Thanks 1%er's.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Ulaven_Demorte
Non-Prophet Organization

Just an aside for the koaltroll.

401k update - 30% ROI for the year so far. Doomed! We're DOOMED!
Men are expendable; women and children are not. A tribe or a nation can lose a high percentage of its men and still pick up the pieces and go on… as long as the women and children are saved. But if you fail to save the women and children, you've had it, you're done, you're through! You join Tyrannosaurus Rex, one more breed that bilged its final test. - Robert Heinlein, "The Pragmatics of Patriotism"

"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." - Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Old 11-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Sean Renaud
The West Coast Pop

I'm just checking in to the new thread.

Hienkel: Pop, pop watchin' heathens drop.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
koalabear
~Armed and Fuzzy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulaven_Demorte View Post

Just an aside for the MOTroll.

*points and laughs*

Old 11-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
phrodeau
Literotica Guru

Did you send a PM to Laurel?

http://forum.literotica.com/showpost...ostcount=35330

Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
richard_daily
Slut Whisperer

I think it's cute that kolabear has a crush on UD, but his boyfriend might get jealous.

I am a rock bottom riser

Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Adre
Never explain

Quote:

Oh damn, KB withdrew his money early because Obama was gonna lose it all for him. Sorry, fuzzy.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
renard_ruse
Support Donbas freedom

The OP really thinks the US economy is in great shape and we should be happy about its condition?

I don't hear many folks from anywhere on the political spectrum who claim that, though their explanations for the problems and their suggested solutions might differ.
"Observe good faith and justice towards all nations; cultivate peace and harmony with all... In the execution of such a plan, nothing is more essential than that permanent, inveterate antipathies against particular nations, and passionate attachments for others, should be excluded; and that, in place of them, just and amicable feelings towards all should be cultivated"

- George Washington

Old 11-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
Adre
Never explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by renard_ruse View Post
The OP really thinks the US economy is in great shape and we should be happy about its condition?

I don't hear many folks from anywhere on the political spectrum who claim that, though their explanations for the problems and their suggested solutions might differ.
It's all personal. I'm way better off now than five or six years ago. Others aren't so fortunate. It's not as simple as a bumper sticker.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
Sean Renaud
The West Coast Pop

Quote:

Great shape? No. Happy about it's condition? Comparied to what would have happened if conservatives had taken over, FUCKING OVER THE MOON.

And it's constantly improving which we were told in no uncertain terms by Republicans and Conservatives that it wouldn't, in fact things were supposed to get much worse but time after time those predictions turned out to be completely false.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
renard_ruse
Support Donbas freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Renaud View Post
Great shape? No. Happy about it's condition? Comparied to what would have happened if conservatives had taken over, @#$%ING OVER THE MOON.

And it's constantly improving which we were told in no uncertain terms by Republicans and Conservatives that it wouldn't, in fact things were supposed to get much worse but time after time those predictions turned out to be completely false.
The economy is never going to recover to levels that past generations enjoyed (in relative terms) because of "free" trade. Its got nothing to do with "liberals" or "conservatives" as both groups generally supported "free" trade. We don't make anything anymore. You can't have a viable longterm economy without making things.

That giant sucking sound came true after all. Ross Perot was right.
"Observe good faith and justice towards all nations; cultivate peace and harmony with all... In the execution of such a plan, nothing is more essential than that permanent, inveterate antipathies against particular nations, and passionate attachments for others, should be excluded; and that, in place of them, just and amicable feelings towards all should be cultivated"

- George Washington

Old 11-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
Sean Renaud
The West Coast Pop

Of course we still make things, that's a myth, but you can have a quite vibrant economy without making much. The main reason we don't have a vibrant middle class (which is presumably what you're talking about) is because we don't really want one.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
koalabear
~Armed and Fuzzy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_daily View Post
I think it's cute that kolabear has a crush on UD, but his boyfriend might get jealous.
Hey the lil fag chihuahua is back.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:14 AM   #15
richard_daily
Slut Whisperer

Quote:
The economy is never going to recover to levels that past generations enjoyed (in relative terms) because of "free" trade. Its got nothing to do with "liberals" or "conservatives" as both groups generally supported "free" trade. We don't make anything anymore. You can't have a viable longterm economy without making things.

That giant sucking sound came true after all. Ross Perot was right.
Wrong. Right wingers, including those moderately on the right like Bill Clinton, were the ones that supported NAFTA and FTAA... You should try getting your facts straight before spouting off about how "everyone does it", because that's bullshit.

And Ross Perot wasn't right about anything... He was about as viable of a candidate as Sara Palin was.

I am a rock bottom riser

Old 11-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #16
IrezumiKiss
All You Need Is Fuck

Talking

Methinks this 2.0 thread version isn't going to be as nearly a disposable post-spewing, conservative pussy-loser whining dump-sink for the shitstain glee club and their ball-hanger peons as the other one was.

"When men worship me because of my breasts, I feel that I am an embodiment of the goddess that has become...a part of our collective human soul." — Chloe Vevrier

Irezumi's Atelier of Illustrated Libidinous Debauchery (Formerly The Ranch of Raunch) <----now SINDEXED for your viewing pleasure!

TRIBUTES:
Belle Morte 5/1/08

Old 11-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #17
Ulaven_Demorte
Non-Prophet Organization

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrezumiKiss View Post
Methinks this 2.0 thread version isn't going to be as nearly a disposable post-spewing, conservative pussy-loser whining dump-sink for the shitstain glee club and their ball-hanger peons as the other one was.
Honestly, the first thread had slowly fallen off as the dire predictions of the "right" were squelched by the reality of a recovering economy.

Not that reality has much to do with the usual suspects round these parts.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #18
TheJAJ
Loves Catfish

This is all nice and you know, good and all.

I've profited from it, buttttttttttttttttttttt......

Just let the Fed whisper they are thinking about cutting.......................

And then we shall see.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
BobDownSouth
Very Funny

Quote:
Honestly, the first thread had slowly fallen off as the dire predictions of the "right" were squelched by the reality of a recovering economy.

Not that reality has much to do with the usual suspects round these parts.
The turning point, IMHO, came when 4est_4est_Gump was reduced to wailing about the rising price of cinnamon in Sri Lanka and claimed it was "evidence" of President Obama's "failed economic policies".

A close second was Vetteman defining corporate stock to be a loan investors made to a company, with a guaranteed rate of return. Even 4est laughed at that one.

And finally....WE MUST NEVER FORGET MAY 28TH! Why, you ask? I don't know...ask Vetteman for details.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
Bronc31
Really Experienced

Location: You can find me where the music meets the ocean....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAssJim View Post
This is all nice and you know, good and all.

I've profited from it, buttttttttttttttttttttt......

Just let the Fed whisper they are thinking about cutting.......................

And then we shall see.
This is the only post really needed in this thread.

Money borrowed has to be repaid. It will get repaid by our children, probably in blood. Anything that can't go on forever, won't.

I'm not sure if that's doom and gloom enough, but I'm a rookie here.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #21
BobDownSouth
Very Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc31 View Post
This is the only post really needed in this thread.

Money borrowed has to be repaid. It will get repaid by our children, probably in blood. Anything that can't go on forever, won't.

I'm not sure if that's doom and gloom enough, but I'm a rookie here.
You are really into drama, aren't you?

Old 11-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
Bronc31
Really Experienced

Location: You can find me where the music meets the ocean....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDownSouth View Post
You are really into drama, aren't you?
Not really. History, says war is the most likely outcome. I'd love to be wrong about a lot of things I think. Being right on this board, is probably the least of the things I worry about.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #23
jeninflorida
Loves Spam

obama lied on the unemployment numbers

obama lied on obamacare

obama is a liar

obama is a pile of shit

Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
jeninflorida
Loves Spam

how the fuck did obama lose what ... 9 billion dollars on the GM deal?

WTF you obama people are fucking idiots

Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #25
Sean Renaud
The West Coast Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc31 View Post
Not really. History, says war is the most likely outcome. I'd love to be wrong about a lot of things I think. Being right on this board, is probably the least of the things I worry about.
History doesn't really say that though, you're thinking of a lot of things with no clear parallel to modern life.