Hooray for Scott Walker!

"More fiscally responsible and level headed than Walker"?

If that is a reflection of your analytical ability, we could just as well ignore you. After inheriting a 3 billion dollar deficit from his Democrat predecessor, Walker delivered not just a balanced budget, but a surplus, every year he was governor. Meanwhile, even the Madison media admits: "Analysis projects $2 billion shortfall in 2021-23 under Tony Evers budget plan."

Sure, after cutting $800 million from public education and handing over $469 million to Foxconn who may or may not break ground and produce jobs despite what any news article says. Even after doing nothing for years, Foxconn has been subsidized by the Wisconsin taxpayers for nearly $1 billion already.

Not only that, he cut millions from Wisconsin DNR, laid off scientists (you know, people who do facts), and told the department they should do more of what private industry says regardless of the environmental impact.

Also, Walker's 2019 budget leaves a $1.1 billion budget hole which, guess who, Evers has to figure out how to fill. https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/fiscal-bureau-scott-walker-s-budget-leaves-billion-hole-starting/article_5eaadce4-6fcf-5e64-be0b-c982268ec0da.html

Your other claim, that "only one talking about the 13,000 jobs was Walker," is equally incorrect. Just yesterday Reuters reported that Foxconn itself intends to create at least 13,000 once it is fully operational in Mt. Pleasant. Again, you're just wrong on the basic facts.

It was Walker who said those 13,000 jobs would be created, and that was only if Foxconn built out every single building and production line it originally said. When Walker talked about the 13,000, Foxconn denied it on several occasions saying maybe 5,000 at best.

It is only now that Foxconn hasn't met its goals (see last three paragraphs of your own article) that is suddenly says it will hire 13,000 people. But again, as your own article states, the pace of hiring has slowed significantly yet Foxconn continues to get corporate welfare.

So no, Evers is not playing political games. He's doing what a responsible leader should do which is tell the leech, "You said you would do X. You haven't done that. We will renegotiate the original deal based on what you are now doing. Pray I don't alter it further."

Evers is just playing political games. Here on the ground in Southeastern Wisconsin (I live in Caledonia, Wisconsin, the village directly north of Mt. Pleasant), the people dealing directly with Foxconn have seen their commitment. According to a friend of mine, who was my Dean when I taught at one of them, and remains a Dean there, nearby colleges are gearing up not only to train some of the 13,000 workers Foxconn needs, but also the thousands of additional workers needed for ancillary industries.

Everybody but the Democrats in Madison know the deal is proceeding very well and is a good thing for Southeastern Wisconsin. (Actually, the Democrats know it, too; that is why they are trying to derail it before it shows how much more effectively Republicans deal with job creation.) Outside parties also recognize that this beneficial plan is going forward. Because of Foxconn's commitment to Racine, the Smart Cities Council just chose Racine as one of the winners of its Smart Cities Readiness Challenge. I really do not know if that's a big deal in itself, but it shows that otherwise disinterested third parties also recognize that the Foxconn deal is for real.

Southeastern Wisconsin, especially Racine and Milwaukee, have urban populations with high unemployment and poverty rates. You would think Tony Evers and the Democrats would welcome a major economic development in this area. Instead, as usual, they prefer to keep people poor because they think it gives Democrats a political advantage.

For the perspective of my state, Foxconn is willing to take taxpayer money and not deliver. As this disinterested third party shows, https://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2017/aug/25/scott-walker/scott-walker-says-pennsylvania-lost-foxconn-plant-/ to say Foxconn's con was due to a change in governorship is false. They hadn't done much under the Republican governor but again, were willing to take taxpayer money.

As your article shows, Foxconn is behind in hiring and construction, yet are more than willing to take taxpayer money but not deliver. Again. What was the wobbly phrase from George Bush? Fool me once, shame on you Fool me - you can't fooled again.

Sure, after cutting $800 million from public education and handing over $469 million to Foxconn who may or may not break ground and produce jobs despite what any news article says. Even after doing nothing for years, Foxconn has been subsidized by the Wisconsin taxpayers for nearly $1 billion already....

As your article shows, Foxconn is behind in hiring and construction, yet are more than willing to take taxpayer money but not deliver. Again. What was the wobbly phrase from George Bush? Fool me once, shame on you Fool me - you can't fooled again.

I am not being snarky with the following request. I am genuinely curious if I missed something. Please cite your sources for the claim that Foxconn has already recieved '$469 million' from the state and that 'Foxconn has been subsidized by the Wisconsin taxpayers for nearly $1 billion already.' If that is true, I will reconsider my position on this.

As for 'cutting $800 million from public education,' I am a public educator, so this is a subject I follow closely. That funding reduction was a one-time step (that happened long before Foxconn even started looking for a place to put a plant in the US), necessary to deal with 3 billion dollar deficit left by his predecessor. Subsequent budgets more than compensate for that one-time reduction.

Also, Walker's 2019 budget leaves a $1.1 billion budget hole which, guess who, Evers has to figure out how to fill....

Again, on this you just have your facts wrong. As I am pretty sure Dawn explained earlier on this thread, that so-called 'deficit' is an odd artifact of the way Wisconsin starts its budgeting process called the 'structural deficit.' It is a projection of what would happen if the last budget were continued through the next budget period. Of course, that never happens because a new budget is passed. It is just to give the legislature a starting point for developing the next budget. It has no relationship to reality.

As I am pretty sure Dawn explained earlier on this thread, that so-called 'deficit' is an odd artifact of the way Wisconsin starts its budgeting process called the 'structural deficit.' It is a projection of what would happen if the last budget were continued through the next budget period. Of course, that never happens because a new budget is passed. It is just to give the legislature a starting point for developing the next budget. It has no relationship to reality.

Actually, that was in another thread.

Walker has lied about budget numbers before as well (to the tune of $1.6 billion dollars).

The "link" you provided doesn't go anywhere, but I know to what you refer. Every two years, the nonpartisan Wisconsin Legislative Fiscal Bureau prepares a report to tell the legislature what the State's finances will look like if the next budget is the same as the budget then in place. This gives the legislature a starting point for preparing the next budget. It then makes adjustments and passes a new budget that eliminates the hypothetical (in the most recent case, $1.6 billion) deficit. Wisconsin law requires a balanced budget. Then, if tax revenues on the new budget exceed expectations, the State runs a surplus, as it has every year since Walker's reforms went into effect.

The factual numbers show that, after inheriting a > $3 billion dollar deficit from his Democratic predecessor, Jim Dolye, Scott Walker, with the help of the Republican controlled legislature, achieved a surplus with every budget he enacted.

This isn't even factoring in the giant check he wrote to FoxConn (to the tune of $4.5 billion).

What check? As I have explained to you and others multiple times in this thread, these are tax credits Foxconn only receives if it meets certain benchmarks. These benchmarks ensure that the economic activity Foxconn creates more than pays for Foxconn's reduced taxes. Ultimately, if Foxconn does not perform as promised, then Wisconsin provides no tax credits. Under the terms of the deal, the worst Wisconsin could have done is break even. Now that significant construction has started in Mount Pleasant, with the attendant economic activity and resulting tax revenues, Wisconsin can only come out ahead....

Here's the truth of the matter.

Gov. Scott Walker leaves... finishing his second term by posting a budget surplus for the eighth year in a row. Wisconsin ended last fiscal year with a $588.5 million surplus and will start 2018-2019 with the second-highest opening balance since 2000.​

B.Blankley, Walker Ending Term With $588.5 Million Budget Surplus, Washington Free Beacon (Jan. 6, 2019).

Highlights of the state’s financial condition include:

• Wisconsin has ended every year with a budget surplus under Governor Walker. The state ended fiscal year 2018 with a positive balance of $588.5 million based on cash accounting.

• The state deposited $33.1 million into the state Budget Stabilization Fund. The balance is now $320.1 million. This is the largest balance in state history and 190 times larger than the balance in fiscal year 2010.

• General fund tax collections were $18.4 million above estimates. The growth was $626 million or 4 percent over last year. Individual income taxes were $99.2 million higher than estimated.

• State expenditures were $174 million less than budgeted in 2018.​

Gov. Scott Walker: Wisconsin wraps up 2017-18 fiscal year with $588M surplus WMTV-15 (Dec 21, 2018).

someoneyouknow needs to be more careful, or he'll end up looking as illogical and ill-informed as dan_c00000 did above.

Second Opportunity, someoneyouknow

Sure, after cutting $800 million from public education and handing over $469 million to Foxconn who may or may not break ground and produce jobs despite what any news article says. Even after doing nothing for years, Foxconn has been subsidized by the Wisconsin taxpayers for nearly $1 billion already.

I am not being snarky with the following request. I am genuinely curious if I missed something. Please cite your sources for the claim that Foxconn has already received '$469 million' from the state and that 'Foxconn has been subsidized by the Wisconsin taxpayers for nearly $1 billion already.' If that is true, I will reconsider my position on this.

I'm still waiting for your sources for those claims. It has been my understanding that Foxconn had to reach certain benchmarks before it received incentives in the form of tax credits, which has not yet happened. As I wrote above, if it is true that the state has already paid Foxconn hundreds of millions of dollars, given that we are still at the very earliest stages of the development, then I would seriously reconsider my position on the issue.

I don't have time to correct people in every thread so I have to spread my time around as best I can. If people can't bother to look up the facts I tell them, you'll have to wait until I get back to you.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wis-gov-signs-budget-cutting-education-185b/

Democrats assailed the budget as an attack on middle class values since it cuts funding for public schools by $800 million, reduces funding to the UW system by $250 million and cuts tax credits for poor people.

It also reduces the amount schools can collect from property taxes and other revenue combined, which translates into another education cut of about $800 million. While schools are seeing deep cuts, Walker's budget extends tax breaks to manufacturers, multistate corporations and investors.​

For the most recent article about Foxconn's con of Wisconsin:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/foxconn-says-still-committed-to-wisconsin-plant-as-gov-evers-seeks-a-reset-2019-04-19?mod=mw_latestnews

The Foxconn agreement has been fraught with problems ever since it was first touted. The $10 billion campus was announced to much fanfare in 2017 by then–governor Walker and President Donald Trump, with the state expected to pony up a $3 billion, 15-year package of tax incentives, the biggest such set of subsidies for a greenfield project in the state. Proponents have stressed that some of the incentives do hinge on job creation. The original plan had promised the hiring of 3,000 workers initially to make liquid-crystal-display panels for televisions, with the intent of growing that figure to 13,000 over time.

That plan was upended in February, when Foxconn Chairman Terry Gou said he was scrapping the plan for the high-tech panels because it would not be economically viable to make them in the U.S. due to the steep costs. Instead, he said the plant would become a research center and the company would hire mostly engineers and researchers, instead of creating the blue-collar positions previously promised. The number of workers to be hired was scaled back to 5,200 by 2020, according to a Reuters report at the time.
. . .
“No matter what job and incentive numbers you believe, this deal shocks the senses,” Hicks wrote in November. “At the low end, the Wisconsin Budget Project, a budget think tank, estimated the cost per job at just under $220,000. At the high end, it is $587,000 per job. These are for jobs that will pay an average of a little more than $53,000 per year. To be clear, this means Wisconsin taxpayers are paying between a third and all the wage bill for Foxconn for more than the next decade.”​

Last edited:
I don't have time to correct people in every thread so I have to spread my time around as best I can. If people can't bother to look up the facts I tell them, you'll have to wait until I get back to you.

Except that you completely failed in this case.

Above, you specifically assert that the State of Wisconsin has already paid "over $469 million to Foxconn."

That was news to me, so I asked for your source for that information.

You responded with all the same dribble those who want this economic opportunity to fail have been saying for the past couple of years, all of which is either irrelevant or has been previously debunked on this thread.

You did not, however, provide any source for your claim that the State of Wisconsin has already paid "over $469 million to Foxconn." Can you? Or did you just make that up?

You did not, however, provide any source for your claim that the State of Wisconsin has already paid "over $469 million to Foxconn." Can you? Or did you just make that up?

Don't hold your breath waiting for someoneyouknow to come up with such a source. I follow this issue pretty closely, and I assure you the State has not yet paid any money to Foxconn. No 2018 tax breaks for Foxconn, New Richmond News (Apr. 9, 2019).

Foxconn, on the other hand, has already pumped more than $200 million into Wisconsin's economy. See, e.g., Foxconn reported spending nearly $100M last year on Racine Co. project, WisPolitics (Apr. 5, 2019); P. Murray, Foxconn Moving Ahead With Innovation Center In Green Bay, WPR (Feb. 28, 2019); A. Thomas, Foxconn completes purchase of Eau Claire, Green Bay buildings, BizTimes (Dec. 10, 2018); J. Lucas, $100 million Foxconn gift launches major new partnership with UW–Madison, UW-Madison News (Aug. 27, 2018).

To his credit, at claiming just "$469 million" (or was it "$1 billion"?), someoneyouknow is doing better than dan_c00000, who has claimed Foxconn has already been "given $4.5 billion"! Then again, dan_c00000 has consistently proven himself as a special kind of stupid. I think someoneyouknow is just misinformed.

You know, people make fun of how fully and precisely I cite and annotate my posts here. I do it, however, because I know if I make even one tiny mistake, the Leftists will jump all over it. Thank you for holding them to that same standard.

Last edited:

I am not being snarky with the following request. I am genuinely curious if I missed something. Please cite your sources for the claim that Foxconn has already received '$469 million' from the state and that 'Foxconn has been subsidized by the Wisconsin taxpayers for nearly $1 billion already.' If that is true, I will reconsider my position on this.

I'm still waiting for your sources for those claims. It has been my understanding that Foxconn had to reach certain benchmarks before it received incentives in the form of tax credits, which has not yet happened. As I wrote above, if it is true that the state has already paid Foxconn hundreds of millions of dollars, given that we are still at the very earliest stages of the development, then I would seriously reconsider my position on the issue.

Except that you completely failed in this case.

Above, you specifically assert that the State of Wisconsin has already paid "over $469 million to Foxconn."

That was news to me, so I asked for your source for that information.

You responded with all the same dribble those who want this economic opportunity to fail have been saying for the past couple of years, all of which is either irrelevant or has been previously debunked on this thread.

*CRICKETS*

I guess we see how credible is yet another liberal, in this case someoneyouknow!

Just another leftist finding it necessary to lie to try to advance their hollow claims.

You know, people make fun of how fully and precisely I cite and annotate my posts here. I do it, however, because I know if I make even one tiny mistake, the Leftists will jump all over it. Thank you for holding them to that same standard.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/scott-walkers-foxconn-deal-way-184400314.html

Business
Scott Walker's Foxconn Deal Is on Its Way to Becoming a World-Historical Debacle

Contractors have bulldozed about 75 homes in Mount Pleasant and cleared hundreds of farmland acres. Crews are widening Interstate 94 from Milwaukee to the Illinois state line to accommodate driverless trucks and thousands of employees. Village and county taxpayers have borrowed around $350 million so far to buy land and make infrastructure improvements, from burying sewer pipes to laying storm drains. One thing largely missing: Foxconn. President Trump and Foxconn Chairman Terry Gou hatched the factory plan in 2017, and both attended last summer’s gold-shovel groundbreaking in Mount Pleasant, 20 miles south of Milwaukee.

As of Dec. 31, the Taiwanese manufacturing giant, famous as an Apple Inc. supplier, had spent only $99 million, 1% of its pledged investment, according to its latest state filings. The company projected as many as 2,080 in-state employees by the end of 2019 but had fewer than 200 at last year’s end, state filings show. The village is still awaiting factory building plans for review. Locals said Foxconn contractors have recently been scarce on the site. The impact on Mount Pleasant, by contrast, is palpable. Its debt rating has slipped. Local politics has become fraught. Neighbors have fallen out over land seizures.

Jan 31, 2019

The $4B Broken Promise: Foxconn admits it cannot afford to manufacture LCD screens in Wisconsin

March 9, 2019

Wetlands being filled in, silt spilling into Des Plaines River due to Foxconn development, Lake County study finds

AppleInsider
AppleInsider Verified Account
@appleinsider

There's no sign yet of #Foxconn's $10 billion plant,
or the 13,000 local jobs it was supposed to provide,
but Wisconsin's Mount Pleasant town has been
very nearly totally demolished in preparation.

6:19 AM - 30 Apr 2019

April 30, 2019

Foxconn's chairman Terry Gou is reportedly set to attend a meeting in the White House on Tuesday afternoon. It's not known whether Gou was summoned to the White House by the President, but Reuters is reporting that the meeting is related to the Wisconsin project.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...f-foxconn-deal-with-ceo-headed-to-white-house

There are unconfirmed reports that Terry Gou, the Foxconn chief, is heading to the White House for meetings this week

Recently, Gou said he is scaling back his company duties as he runs for Taiwan's presidency. Resident Jeff Loken says that could be a problem. "He was the main pipeline for President Trump to get this agreement. So what happens now? Terry Gou isn't going to be in charge. Someone else is, presumably. Is he going to go along with the same thing?" Loken asked.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/30/718234407/president-trumps-foxconn-promise-so-far-unfulfilled

Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers says Gou was meeting with President Donald Trump, but he didn't know exactly what they were talking about. No one from Wisconsin was to be at the meeting.

Evers has said Foxconn wants to renegotiate its contract with the state.

Gou, whose fortune estimated by Forbes at $7.8 billion, has announced that he intends to run for president of Taiwan.

A White House spokesman said no meeting occurred Tuesday, but he didn't rule out a meeting taking place later.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-116464488/

ChiaChieh(Jane)Tang 唐家婕
@ChiachiehTang

Happening Now: #Foxconn CEO Terry Gou (wearing his hat with #ROC & US flags on it) entering the White House security gate for a meeting around 5:20pm. Unclear whether or not he’ll meet with @realDonaldTrump. #Taiwan #TerryGou - from amazing #udn pool.

2:54 PM - 1 May 2019

A Better Mt Pleasant
@abetterpleasant

National media is starting to finally realize
and report on the irresponsible deal Mount
Pleasant signed in the effort to win this
too-good-to-be-true project.

HBO/Vice will broadcast on Friday. It's about time!
#Foxconn

7:14 AM - 1 May 2019

Esquire
Esquire Verified Account
@esquire

Expect Donald Trump to wash his hands of this completely.

5:07 PM - 30 Apr 2019

Scott Walker's Foxconn Deal Is on Its Way to Becoming a World-Historical Debacle

Esquire Esquire @esquire

Ohio and Foxconn ?

Super interesting comment from The Verge's explosive article on #Foxconn. The author says he is the administrator of a town in Ohio that Foxconn was considering for their "development" that we ultimately got.

Worked on some big and weird projects in my career, but never saw anything like this where stuff changed all the time. The site visit was an absolute circus too. They had a damn charter bus. Around 20-30 Chinese people and another 20-30 consultants, engineers and who-knows-what. They kept interrupting during our presentations and some of the American consultants would basically yell at them and say they were being rude. You cannot make this stuff up.

Luckily we dropped out after a month into the process when the umpteenth change in utility requirements made the needed improvements so expensive (think $30 million+) that we threw in the towel. They wanted the land for free, all utilities to the site boundary at their required capacities (which changed weekly at this point still) for free, and to pay no local or state taxes for 20 years. This was the dumbest ROI scenario we ever saw and it wasn’t hard to convince our elected officials to throw in the towel.

In the end it wouldn’t have mattered because Ohio ended up getting cut a couple of months later because the State government wouldn’t pay up like Wisconsin did. It has made for some great story telling though, and it is the gift that keeps on giving for entertainment purposes. Thanks, Wisconsin!

Face Book

abettermtpleasant/posts/877970855868443

ChiaChieh(Jane)Tang 唐家婕
@ChiachiehTang

Happening Now: #Foxconn CEO Terry Gou (wearing his hat with #ROC & US flags on it) entering the White House security gate for a meeting around 5:20pm. Unclear whether or not he’ll meet with @realDonaldTrump. #Taiwan #TerryGou - from amazing #udn pool....

Esquire
Esquire Verified Account
@esquire

5:07 PM - 30 Apr 2019

Esquire Esquire @esquire....

Except that...

Foxconn Chairman Terry Gou said he met Donald Trump on Wednesday at the White House, reassuring the U.S. president that his company's massive investment in Wisconsin remains unchanged....

"It is not right to say our investment in Wisconsin has changed," Gou said in a video broadcast by Taiwan media. "We suspended the work around October, November last year because the weather there was snowy and icy cold. We will continue our work in May when the weather gets warmer," Gou said to a group of Taiwanese journalists in Washington after his Oval Office meeting with Trump....

"I've invited the president to come to Wisconsin when our production line opens in May next year, and he said yes," Gou said, adding that he will travel to Wisconsin on Thursday....​

Lauly Li and Cheng Ting-fang, Foxconn's Terry Gou assures Trump that Wisconsin plant is on track, Nikkei (May 2, 2019) (emphasis added).

So, bodysong, when the plant opens next year, will you admit that you were wrong?

Is Kyodo News as big of a liar as FOX TV ?

Is Foxconn CEO Terry Gou as big of a liar and a sleaze artist, as tRump is ?

After White House meeting, Foxconn chief says Wisconsin factory moving forward, will host Trump visit next year

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-116485678/

Trump has been a vocal backer of the project, proclaiming it the "eighth wonder of the world" and he visited Wisconsin last summer for the groundbreaking. Trump has heralded the development as a sign of resurgence in American manufacturing.

But skeptics question whether Foxconn will fulfill its commitments in the project, citing others it has promised but failed to deliver around the world. Foxconn failed to meet its job targets last year to qualify for tax credits in Wisconsin and has downsized the type of factory it intends to build.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article229940554.html

Evers was joined at the meeting with Gou by the state's chief economic development official who brokered the original Foxconn deal. Neither Foxconn nor Evers had immediate comment following the meeting.

Gou told reporters after his meeting with Trump that the company remained committed to Wisconsin.

"It is not right to say our investment in Wisconsin has changed," Gou said in a video broadcast by Taiwan media as reported by Nikkei Asian Review. "We suspended the work around October, November last year because the weather there was snowy and icy cold. We will continue our work in May when the weather gets warmer."

Preliminary data from the National Weather Service shows the average high in Racine County, where the project is located, in October was 54 degrees and 39 degrees in November. The average low was 41 in October and 27 in November. There was no snowfall in October and 6.7 inches in November.

Is Kyodo News as big of a liar as FOX TV ?

Is Foxconn CEO Terry Gou as big of a liar and a sleaze artist, as tRump is ?

After White House meeting, Foxconn chief says Wisconsin factory moving forward, will host Trump visit next year

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-116485678/

Trump has been a vocal backer of the project, proclaiming it the "eighth wonder of the world" and he visited Wisconsin last summer for the groundbreaking. Trump has heralded the development as a sign of resurgence in American manufacturing.

But skeptics question whether Foxconn will fulfill its commitments in the project, citing others it has promised but failed to deliver around the world. Foxconn failed to meet its job targets last year to qualify for tax credits in Wisconsin and has downsized the type of factory it intends to build.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article229940554.html

Evers was joined at the meeting with Gou by the state's chief economic development official who brokered the original Foxconn deal. Neither Foxconn nor Evers had immediate comment following the meeting.

Gou told reporters after his meeting with Trump that the company remained committed to Wisconsin.

"It is not right to say our investment in Wisconsin has changed," Gou said in a video broadcast by Taiwan media as reported by Nikkei Asian Review. "We suspended the work around October, November last year because the weather there was snowy and icy cold. We will continue our work in May when the weather gets warmer."

Preliminary data from the National Weather Service shows the average high in Racine County, where the project is located, in October was 54 degrees and 39 degrees in November. The average low was 41 in October and 27 in November. There was no snowfall in October and 6.7 inches in November.

I can really believe the weather was cold and snowy then. If those were the numbers for the city of Racine, they would be even worse inland, a few miles farther from Lake Michigan, which would have been frozen over by the end of Decembrrr. For some of the time, the roads would have been impassable because of snow.

Is Kyodo News ....

Gov. Tony Evers met with Foxconn CEO Terry Gou for the first time Thursday and hours later backpedaled on his claim the company likely wouldn't meet its promise to create 13,000 jobs in Wisconsin.

"The fact that I said that they may not have 13,000 (jobs), it could be less, it could be more, to me it doesn’t matter,” Evers told the editorial boards of the Kenosha News and Racine Journal Times. “I’m not doubting their word....”​

P. Marley, R. Romell & M. Beck, Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers walks back doubts about Foxconn after meeting with CEO Terry Gou in Milwaukee, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (May 2, 2019).

I ask again, bodysong, when the plant opens next year, will you admit that you were wrong?

Scott Walker has been out of office for four-and-a-half months, but Wisconsin’s economy—and the state’s coffers—continues to benefit from what the former Republican governor called the “Reform Dividend.”

New projections show state tax collections over the next three years will come in $753 million higher than previously anticipated. The more robust revenue figures, reported Wednesday by the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau, are largely driven by higher-than-expected income and corporate tax collections.

Individual income tax collections are now expected to increase by $460 million between the 2018-2019 and 2020-2021 fiscal years, while corporate/franchise tax collections are projected to grow by $610 million over the period....

As a result, the fiscal bureau projects the 2018-19 general fund balance will grow from $691.5 million, as estimated in January, to more than $1 billion by June 30, the end of the fiscal year.

Republicans took a victory lap Wednesday, pointing to tax breaks in excess of $8 billion and reined-in regulation over the previous eight years — when the GOP controlled both the legislative and executive branches....

“These new revenue projections reflect the growing economy and the impact of the pro-growth reforms made by Republicans over the last eight years,” Assembly Speaker Robin Vos (R-Rochester) said in a press release....

It’s what Walker, in his last budget, called the “Reform Dividend.”

...​

M.D. Kittle & C. Rochester, Report: State Revenue Projections Grow By $750 million, Sign Of ‘Reform Dividend’, MacIver Institute (May 15, 2019).

Scott Walker has been out of office for four-and-a-half months, but Wisconsin’s economy—and the state’s coffers—continues to benefit from what the former Republican governor called the “Reform Dividend.”

New projections show state tax collections over the next three years will come in $753 million higher than previously anticipated. The more robust revenue figures, reported Wednesday by the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau, are largely driven by higher-than-expected income and corporate tax collections.

Individual income tax collections are now expected to increase by $460 million between the 2018-2019 and 2020-2021 fiscal years, while corporate/franchise tax collections are projected to grow by $610 million over the period....

As a result, the fiscal bureau projects the 2018-19 general fund balance will grow from $691.5 million, as estimated in January, to more than $1 billion by June 30, the end of the fiscal year.

Republicans took a victory lap Wednesday, pointing to tax breaks in excess of $8 billion and reined-in regulation over the previous eight years — when the GOP controlled both the legislative and executive branches....

“These new revenue projections reflect the growing economy and the impact of the pro-growth reforms made by Republicans over the last eight years,” Assembly Speaker Robin Vos (R-Rochester) said in a press release....

It’s what Walker, in his last budget, called the “Reform Dividend.”

...​

M.D. Kittle & C. Rochester, Report: State Revenue Projections Grow By $750 million, Sign Of ‘Reform Dividend’, MacIver Institute (May 15, 2019).

For what it's worth, Rochester is a village and a town in Racine County, about 18 miles northwest of Mount Pleasant.

The U.S. News analysis, which examined how states have been performing based on eight broad categories, including health care, public education and economic growth, ranked Wisconsin the 11th best state....

“Health care and education are the top priorities for U.S. residents, according to a survey of tens of thousands of people across the county,” Deidre McPhillips, senior data editor at U.S. News & World Report, told The Center Square in an email. “Wisconsin lands at 14th in each of these categories. The Badger State ranks sixth in opportunity and 10th in natural environment, with the fourth best gender parity in labor force participation.”

... Chris Rochester, communications director for the MacIver Institute in Madison, said the U.S. News ranking confirms that Wisconsin offers its residents opportunities, employment options and a great quality of life....

Overall, Wisconsin is in a strong position due to conservative policies enacted during the Walker years, according to Rochester. A May 15 state Legislative Fiscal Bureau memo predicted that state revenues over the next three years will exceed previous expectations by more than $750 million....​

M. Carroll, Wisconsin ranking on best states list seen as affirmation of tax policies, The Center Square (May 28, 2019).

Look at the early posts on this thread and all the people who said the Foxconn plant would never be built. Now:

Tariff conflicts between the United States and China is pushing Foxconn Technology Group to the point of considering moving production of Apple products out of China, which could mean the Taiwanese company will assemble those products in Wisconsin....

The potential move is a response to new tariffs pushed by President Donald Trump on about $300 billion worth of Chinese goods by the U.S. In preparation of moving production elsewhere, the company is planning to expand the range of products being made at its Wisconsin facility.

In an investor meeting and conference call Tuesday, Young-May Liu, who leads Foxconn's integrated circuit production, said 25% of the company's production capacity is outside of China and "we can help Apple respond to its needs in the U.S. market," according to CDR Info, a technology publication.

Foxconn officials on the call went on to say the company will expand its production portfolio in Wisconsin, specifically mentioning servers, networking products and automotive central controls products. Liu said the portfolio in Wisconsin "is all for addressing the need in the U.S. market," and would expand beyond LCD display screen production initially planned for the facility in Mount Pleasant....

The plant is expected to be completed next year.​

N. Williams, Foxconn to expand Wisconsin plant portfolio, with Apple products a possibility due to Trump tariffs, Milwaukee Business Journal (Jun. 11, 2019).

Look at the early posts on this thread and all the people who said the Foxconn plant would never be built. Now:

Foxconn Industrial Internet plans to construct the Fii Smart Manufacturing Center along Braun Road on the Wisconn Valley Science and Technology Park campus.

The center is a more than 261,000-square-foot, one-story building with mezzanine, at 12001 Braun Road. The site is about midway between Interstate 94 and Highway H.

Fii is a spinoff of several former Foxconn business units created in June 2018....

Currently, Fii is planning to start construction Oct. 14, reach “substantial completion” next May and take occupancy on Sept. 15, 2020....

Documents show the Fii Smart Manufacturing Center being constructed directly east of the manufacturing building now under construction. It would be a one-story building with 219,311 square feet on that floor — but with a mezzanine of an additional 42,342 square feet....

The Fii SMC would be the third structure started on the actual Wisconn Valley....

In addition to those buildings on the actual Foxconn campus, the company also has its Education and Training Center at 13315 Globe Drive....

Foxconn has also purchased two multistory buildings in Downtown Racine....​

M. Burke, Foxconn plans for Fii Center released in Mount Pleasant, spherical structure on hold, Racine Journal Times (Sep. 13, 2019) (emphasis added).

Let's see if any of those people now have the moral coureage to admit they were wrong.

Oooo, a one-story building... with a mezzanine! Simply mind boggling.

That's just one auxiliary building on the campus. As for the whole campus:

When talking about the expected footprint, Delgrave says, "we are looking at by the end of this year, a million and a half, or almost maybe a million 750,000 square feet, so almost 2 million square feet of vertical construction."​

A. Bruner, Racine County Executive discusses Foxconn progress Spectrum News 1 (sep.30,2019). Note that he is talking about just the vertical footprint, not the total commercial and manufacturing space.

According to Delgrave, Foxconn added about 5,000 new jobs to the Racine County economy this year and will be expected to add 6,000 new jobs in 2020.​

Ibid. Foxconn also just paid for a four-page newspaper spread seeking employees.

Screen-Shot-2019-10-03-at-12-18-43-AM.png

welp

giphy.gif

*pours one out for Dawniepoo*

all schmuck things must come to an end...

tumblr_lxpj6grFIe1qcaomb.gif

Back