Paul Krugman: "A Party Not Ready to Govern"

You're simply envious that your personal hero Von Mises has been relegated to the ash can of history, thoroughly discredited and known only to fringe right-wing crackpots.

...Who know more about history and economics than liberals who constantly prove their lack of knowledge with neverending economic policy failures out of the past.
 
I think you're a cranky pseudo-intellectual exposed by your own declarations of fabricated truth.

What I am makes no difference. Von Mises was a crank.

Mises' greatest work is generally considered (among his followers, at least) to be the gargantuan doorstopper called Human Action, which fully codifies the method of praxeology. Unfortunately for Mises, it was pseudoscientific upon arrival in 1949 and is even more pseudoscientific in light of current knowledge.

First, Mises completely rejects [reality] positivism and the scientific method in the social sciences and humanities:

Praxeology is a theoretical and systematic, not a historical, science. Its scope is human action as such, irrespective of all environmental, accidental, and individual circumstances of the concrete acts. Its cognition is purely formal and general without reference to the material content and the particular features of the actual case. It aims at knowledge valid for all instances in which the conditions exactly correspond to those implied in its assumptions and inferences. Its statements and propositions are not derived from experience. They are, like those of logic and mathematics, a priori. They are not subject to verification or falsification on the ground of experience and facts. They are both logically and temporally antecedent to any comprehension of historical facts.[2]

He then proceeds to derive his immutable "laws" of economics from a single axiom, the "action axiom." Mises doesn't formulate it as simply as his followers like Rothbard, who usually state it simply as "humans act" or "Individual humans act with a purpose"; this is the essence of the axiom. Mises, however, distinguishes what he calls "action" from instinctual behavior. Action is defined as behavior that is done with some intention in mind, i.e. a goal-oriented one. While he admits the possibility of materialistic explanations, he argues that the assumptions of dualism and free will are necessary for a "science" of human action. Of course, besides the problem of deriving an entire system of faith-based economics from a single axiom, Mises runs into the problem of making a clear-cut distinction between "action" and "instinct" that doesn't exist in psychology and the cognitive sciences (indeed, he dismisses the whole of psychology, anthropology, etc. as merely "historical" and thus unable to make any predictions). Mises also claims this tautological axiom is irrefutable, and thus a rock-solid basis for all economic theory. If you attempt to refute the claim that humans act, then you are, by definition, acting!

Another flaw in this system is that Von Mises never gave any clear definition of how new theorems are supposed to be proven by this axiom. Methods of mathematical logic that are axiom-lite (like natural deduction or sequent calculus) were just being developed when he started, so it's understandable that he didn't mention them. This doesn't change the fact that in order to prove that this axiom implies any particular thing will require background knowledge, observations and other a posterori, challengable things. So though in theory he developed his system from a single axiom, in practice he added new assumptions ad hoc and use the time honored method of Ipse Dixit to prove them.

Mises was naturally a staunch opponent of Marxism and he held that Marx believed in a fundamentally different logical structure of the mind across different classes. In Human Action, he accuses Marxism of "polylogism," i.e. that different classes use different sets of logic. Mises builds on Menger's notions of subjective value and marginal utility to define people as "economic calculators" (this largely a rehashing of the "economic calculation problem" argument Mises made in the 1920s). The knowledge of prices (which represent peoples' subjective value of goods) is distributed across all people (economic calculators) because value is subjective and thus different for each person. This economic calculation problem provides a philosophical argument against socialism; however, it doesn't make a socialist system logically impossible, e.g., it may just be highly inefficient. As (anarcho-capitalist) economist Bryan Caplan notes:

Ever since Mises, Austrians have overused the economic calculation argument. In the absence of detailed empirical evidence showing that this particular problem is the most important one, it is just another argument out of hundreds on the list of arguments against socialism. How do we know that the problem of work effort, or innovation, or the underground economy, or any number of other problems were not more important than the calculation problem?[3]

From here, Mises goes into how awesome completely laissez faire market policy is, gold buggery, and other typical Austrian hijinks. However, sane students of economics probably closed the book way back at the point when Mises declared his "theories" unfalsifiable.
 
KingO has never read any economics.

All of his knowledge comes for hunting down blogs and using one side of the coin to tarnish the other, but he has no idea as to what he speaks of. He just assumes that his blogs are correct.
 
KingO has never read any economics.

All of his knowledge comes for hunting down blogs and using one side of the coin to tarnish the other, but he has no idea as to what he speaks of. He just assumes that his blogs are correct.

Not even that. He has stated it. His very purpose of being here is coz he enjoys argumentation. He get a kick out of it.

I think he very often simply google's an opposing view and hits back with it; with a penchant for the left.
 
Not even that. He has stated it. His very purpose of being here is coz he enjoys argumentation. He get a kick out of it.

I think he very often simply google's an opposing view and hits back with it; with a penchant for the left.

Yes, I agree.

The internet does not make you smarter.
 
KingO has never read any economics.

All of his knowledge comes for hunting down blogs and using one side of the coin to tarnish the other, but he has no idea as to what he speaks of. He just assumes that his blogs are correct.

Whereas you read a bunch of economics, understood virtually none of it, and latched onto Von Mises like a drowning man to a life preserver because his basic tenet was "Math is hard, so ignore it. Whoever yells loudest wins".
 
Fuck off, dogmeat eater.

America would have been better off if you'd died in the sandbox.

Ohhhhh the broken record of Rob's Greatest Hits!! Toned down, racial slurs....finally catch enough flack from your friends for the more derogatory racial slurs?

I'd be shocked if any of them had the spine. You sure your not loosing your edge on your own?? :)
 
We've lived through decades of Keynesian policies. What did it give us? Trillions in debt. If you factor in the other forms of debt that we're on the dole for as well, that number is around 160-180 trillion.

How many more years do you need before you come to the realization that Keynesianism does not work? We are not the first country to destroy the purchasing power of our currency and we won't be the last.

I keep this in my wallet as a reminder. I bought in a coin shop for 7 bucks. At the time, you would be lucky if you could buy a loaf of bread with this in Zimbabwe. Same thing happened in Venezuela, Argentina, Germany after WW1, etc.

10trilliontempleton.jpg
 
We've lived through decades of Keynesian policies. What did it give us? Trillions in debt. If you factor in the other forms of debt that we're on the dole for as well, that number is around 160-180 trillion.

How many more years do you need before you come to the realization that Keynesianism does not work? We are not the first country to destroy the purchasing power of our currency and we won't be the last.

I keep this in my wallet as a reminder. I bought in a coin shop for 7 bucks. At the time, you would be lucky if you could buy a loaf of bread with this in Zimbabwe. Same thing happened in Venezuela, Argentina, Germany after WW1, etc.

Causes debt != does not work. And in case you haven't noticed, currency inflation is not a problem we have right now.
 
Causes debt != does not work. And in case you haven't noticed, currency inflation is not a problem we have right now.

The purchasing power of the dollar has dropped 98 fucking percent! It might not be a problem in your Keynesian dreamworld of deficit spending and inflation but many think that's a fucking problem. And eventually, the Fed won't be able to keep buying our debt which will cause the Fed to raise interest rates which will cause those banks that we bailed out in 2008 to fail again which will cascade to hyper-inflate the dollar.
 
Last edited:
Since when? If since 1913 when the Fed was created, so what? Inflation is not a problem if it's too slow to be noticed.

It was noticed when Nixon dropped us from the gold standard and it dropped 30% overnight. That was one of the factors that caused women to go into the workplace. Prior to that, the middle class husband's income had enough purchasing power to provide for his family.

You don't think that the shit can hit the fan again? If, or more likely, when the big banks fail again and the FED can't print money to bail them out again, you and everyone else are going to feel that pain. You think it sucks to pay $4 a gallon at the pumps...how about $8 or $12?
 
So what? That was decades ago. Nothing similar is now lurking around the corner.

Is that what your Keynesian crystal ball is telling you? I think Krugman had that same crystal ball when he predicted the housing bubble bursting. Oh wait, he never saw that coming.
 
Is that what your Keynesian crystal ball is telling you? I think Krugman had that same crystal ball when he predicted the housing bubble bursting. Oh wait, he never saw that coming.

Oh, there might be all kinds of economic disasters lying in wait -- but none of the kind that lead to hyperinflation. I wish I could say otherwise, inflation is one sign of an expanding economy.
 
Back
Top